Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Alcohol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Alcohol Alcohol, including absinthe, hard liquor, beer, wine, and other assorted spirits.

Old 04-04-2010, 20:50

31 y/o Female
Pauly is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Freeze Distilling Moonshine. Is it safe?

Lets say, I have been looking into brewing some moonshine as a little hobby.
Making a still looks like too much work so im wondering if i can just
freeze it and pour out the alcohol. Here is what I dream of doing :

----www.wisebread.com/how-to-make-moonshine~~

Add sugar and water, boil to dissolve sugar.

Get water to a safe temperature, add yeast.

Wait 10-25 days then distill.

Would it be safe to just freeze this stuff? or is boiling it required to
kill off unsafe stuff?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:39
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United Kingdom
b3ni is captain of the psychonauts.b3ni is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 401, Level: 3 Points: 401, Level: 3 Points: 401, Level: 3
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: Freeze Distilling Moonshine. Is it safe?

I'd love to offer SWIY advice, but I'm not too sure what you're on about.

At what point in the process does SWIY plan on boiling or/and freezing?

SWIM hasn't known a single brew which requires freezing although, SWIMs open minded an open minded and no master brewer, he is a little skeptical about this.
Old 05-04-2010, 14:42

31 y/o Female
Pauly is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

I found out moonshine contains methanol which needs to be boiled out during the distilling process, because it has a lower boiling point than ethanol.
Old 05-04-2010, 16:39
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
Mammon is captain of the psychonauts.Mammon is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 677, Level: 4 Points: 677, Level: 4 Points: 677, Level: 4

O.K. you seem a bit confused here. Methanol is a by-product of the fermentation. It’s present in all fermented drinks to some degree. It does have a lower boiling point than ethanol and so I guess SWIY could boil the fermented liquid for a while to get rid of most of it. This is inefficient, though, and SWIY would lose a lot of good ethanol as well.

Before you distil things SWIY ought to learn how to make standard fermented drinks like wines and beers. There are tons of sites on the net to tell SWIY how. The Jack Keller one has a lot of recipes.

Post Quality Evaluations:
good advice and clarification

Last edited by Jatelka; 07-04-2010 at 07:17.
Old 05-04-2010, 18:14
Palladium Member

34 y/o Male from United States
rawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 3,431, Level: 8 Points: 3,431, Level: 8 Points: 3,431, Level: 8
Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0%

I wondered this very same thing a few years back and did some research - the answer is 'probably not safe'. Here's why:

Freeze distillation can lead to unsafe concentrations of oils and other forms of alcohol (like the methanol you mentioned) in your drink. It is not as 'selective' as true distillation, with which one can eliminate methanol and such by distilling in a controlled temperature range.

With a still, one can control the temperature so that the distillate is mostly potable ethanol (and the true challenge of distilling fine beverages like whisky, brandy, etc. is that one wants to retain a certain amount of these non-ethanol chemicals, because they impart much of the flavor and texture found in these drinks, along with barrel aging. So a truly great distiller retains safe quantities of fusel oils, esthers, and whatnot in the final product.)

Freeze distilling is better suited to making a stronger wine or beer, like Canadian ice beer or wine (ice wine is not strictly made by freeze distilling but the science behind the process is similar) than to concentrating a spirit at 40% or so. At this point it becomes dangerous.

I'd follow Mammon's advice - perfect fermentation first. If you start with a good 'beer' or 'mash' you're less likely to run into trouble down the road. Few people have died from making homemade beer or wine, compared to homemade booze which is notoriously dangerous.

I would think the extra effort required to make a still is better than the risk of freeze-distilled booze. Freeze distilling basically offers you no quality control.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:16
Psychedelic Shepherdess

37 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Jatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15
Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8%

I appreciate there's a great forum out there on home distillation, however, we have a policy that other forums are not linked to.

Please include information here, credit the author and state the source is another forum
Old 07-04-2010, 17:26
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,261, Level: 20 Points: 19,261, Level: 20 Points: 19,261, Level: 20
Activity: 59.8% Activity: 59.8% Activity: 59.8%

Mammon: Don't boil booze with out a still, it's just wasteful.

Methanol actually isn't toxic, it's byproduct is. The body would prefer to process the ethanol, so given enough ethanol and time, the methanol will be pissed away. When making beer and wine, the concentrations are safely balanced. There is NO good reason to be worried about methanol in normal fermented drinks.

When one distills using a fractional process, that is, they separate out the output at different temperatures (removing heads and tails), they will be able to remove to concentrated methanol with the "heads".

How ever, if one can't remove part of the fluid, then it is possible to end up with a toxic ratio. Freeze distillation and the kind in a closed hot system, those can be dangerous.

HOWEVER! In light of recent evidence that the prohibition era FDA was deliberatly poisoning alcohol knowing ti would be re-sold, I a new round of data is in need of collecting on this subject.

BTW "Jacking" as in "Apple Jack" was common in the New England colonies and is well worth trying, just take it in small amounts, and drink some ethanol from other sources too.
Old 07-04-2010, 22:29
Banned

Male
deadheadale should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

when you freeze your fermented mash and toss the ice chunks thats called your stripper run and is done so theyre is a higher alcohol to h2o ratio in the mash. but freeze distillation is far from perfect and most of the time pockets of ethyl will get trapped in the ice and tossed out. best thing to do is make a still its extremely easy just message me and i can show you how to make one out of household items. ive done it numerous times

Post Quality Evaluations:
Ifyou would like to post a tutorial, please do it publically, we don't use PM to trade info like this where we can't give out positve rep.
Old 11-04-2010, 17:34
Silver Member

30 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Erytheia is captain of the psychonauts.Erytheia is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 202, Level: 2 Points: 202, Level: 2 Points: 202, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter View Post
BTW "Jacking" as in "Apple Jack" was common in the New England colonies and is well worth trying, just take it in small amounts, and drink some ethanol from other sources too.
"Apple Jack" is more commonly referred to as "Scrumpy" back here in England. Traditionally made as something that'd be considered "moonshine" in the US, though there wasn't any prohibition involved in the motivation.

Usually simply taking a cider and freeze-distilling it, though it's name is almost synonymous with a deceptively strong liquer. In modern days, most of what is sold as scrumpy (or what real cider-fanatics would consider scrumpy) is very strong cider brewed from unfiltered apple-juice and frequently sold in gallon-jugs arounds festivals or other relatively un-moderated markets.
Old 18-04-2010, 10:06
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United Kingdom
Charenton is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1

Apple Jack and Scrumpy are two different things I think. I would say that using freezing is a recipe for disaster if you do not know what you are doing. There are many liquorists who produce herbal beverages using this technique, there is a school of thought that says distillation damages herbal qualities whilst freezing is superior to simple maceration.
Old 19-04-2010, 16:03
Silver Member

You may well be right, SWI-Charen'. SWIM has recently been bought a "scrumpy-cider" that was, basically, a flat, cloudy cider with huge ABV.

The concept that SWIM mis-understood, however, is a very real and very potent "moonshine"-of-the-West-Country. Given that the term SWIM thought applied to the drink was wrong, she'd assume it was the liquer referred-to as apple-brandy.

As previously, this is largely guesswork so take from the statement what-you-will. *shrug*

Regardless of the previous pseudo-sensible-conversation, freeze-distillation is a very valid means of potentiating a homebrew, though not very sensible, no doubt. SWIM would assume it'd concentrate many undesirable elements of a home-brew, though it's had at-least a century of use in the UK (that is, at-least a century of use SWIM could find references for).
Old 20-04-2010, 08:47
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United Kingdom
Charenton is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1

What was the ABV of SWIM's cloudy cider? SWIM is correct about undesirable elements. The historical references that SWIM found? Filtration using horse hair was common in days of yore, commercially freeze distillation is now possible due to the advances in filtration technology. Commercial Swiss distillers in the Val de Travers even use this technique now.
Old 20-04-2010, 19:35
Silver Member

The ABV of SWIM's brew was 9%..

SWIM'll be a little more careful in future, she guesses..

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol, beer, booze, brewing, distill, distillation, distilling, distilling alcohol, homebrew, methanol, moonshine, wiki

» New Threads
Anyone else not content being...
Last post by Cannabis Kratom
24 Replies, 789 Views
Cocaine to Crack with baking soda...
Last post by Nosferatus
11 Replies, 216 Views
I think I'm giving up on DXM.
Last post by Adas
6 Replies, 256 Views
I took 1500mg of phenibut-nothing...
Last post by Adas