Opiates & Opioids Opiates & Opioids.

Old 31-03-2010, 01:17
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

22 y/o Male
Dazednirvana is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
can promethazine be injected?

basically that said it all my buddy tom found some green promethazine. and he was been injecting drugs since he was 15 starting out with cocaine and heroin being his favorite. any way he was wondering if a lil heat and water would do the trick. can you help me help him please and thankyou
Old 31-03-2010, 02:20
Silver Member

43 y/o Female from United States
OpiLuvnOldLady is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1
Re: can promethazine be injected?

Personally she would strongly recommend AGAINST doing that. She didn't find much regarding injection of promethazine here on DF, but after some quick web searching she came across info indicating that this would not be advisable at all.

It seems that even in formulations that are meant for IV/IM use, it is still potentially dangerous. Below is what she found via PubMed and other resorces targeted to those in the medical profession:

Quote:
Promethazine (Phenergan, Wyeth) is a commonly used injectable product that possesses antihistamine, sedative, anti-motion sickness, and anti-emetic effects. The drug is also a known vesicant that is highly caustic to the intima of blood vessels and surrounding tissue. Formulated with phenol, promethazine has a pH between 4 and 5.5. Although deep intramuscular (IM) injection into a large muscle is the preferred parenteral route of administration, the product’s labeling states that the drug may be given by slow IV push, the method typically used in most hospitals.
Quote:
Severe tissue damage can occur regardless of the route of parenteral administration, although IV and inadvertent intra-arterial or subcutaneous (SQ) administration results in more significant complications, including burning, erythema, pain, swelling, severe spasm of vessels, thrombophlebitis, venous thrombosis, phlebitis, nerve damage, paralysis, abscess, tissue necrosis, and gangrene. Sometimes a surgical intervention, such as fasciotomy, skin graft, and even amputation, has been required.
If this is an issue in preparations that are intended for injection, she doubts that prepping a tablet for injection would be any better. Also, it would carry it's own issues that come with injecting tablets/pills.

Additionally, she personally doesn't understand why one would desire to inject promethazine anyway. She can't see any real 'high' to be chased there. Sure, people drink things like 'lean' but the promethazine is not the only component to that kind of a drink.

Post Quality Evaluations:
good call
Nice harm reduction post, lots of relevant info for the OP
Old 31-03-2010, 05:42
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
mbarnes0 is captain of the psychonauts.mbarnes0 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 350, Level: 2 Points: 350, Level: 2 Points: 350, Level: 2
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

SWIM has had promethezine injected into him in the hospital ER not that long ago. It was of course out of a promethezine solution that was made to be IVed. It was one of the most awesome IV experiences I've had but this was only due to the fact SWIM had been puking straight for 36+ hours and it relieved all my nausea in about 30sec and he was so glad they gave him that shot. The negative thing about SWIMs shot was it burned inside my veins like something crazy. It actually gave my veins some type of chemical burn to because for about 2 months after the single promethezine shot, he was still feeling the pain in my vein close to the injection site and it was quite sore to the touch. The burning vein really was unpleasant but SWIM was unaware of this being a common problem with injected promethezine until OpiLuvnOldLady pointed that out.

There is absolutely no recreational value to promethezine alone unless you feel extreme euphoria from not having any nausea or from falling asleep. Promethezine is a good potentiator of opiates. So if a shot is taken in any order or even mixed in same syringe of; an opiate and promethezine, that would just be begging to have an overdose.

Shooting promethezine made for injection is totally ignorant unless it is for the relief of nausea, hopefully in a hospital setting. It is also stupid, wasteful to try and get high on, and depending on what else could be around or in SWIYs blood it could be down right deadly.
Please do not take promethezine pills and try to prep them for a shot. A liquid solution made for IV administration is the only safe way to inject this substance, but promethezine has no recreational value by itself, and can be deadly when mixed with opiates, especially when IVing.
Leave the pills SWIY has in pill form and take them when SWIY has some nausea. That is what they are made for.

For SWIYs own well being, please do not attempt this!

Last edited by mbarnes0; 31-03-2010 at 05:57.
Old 31-03-2010, 07:58
Silver Member

31 y/o Male from United States
SmaLLtown is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1

Promethazine HCL injection USP. Yes, it also is supplied in injectable form.

Share this on:

Tags
antihistamine, codeine, codeine syrup, drowsy antihistamine, drug, drugs, drugs-forum, injecting, injecting codeine, injection, injection sites, intravenous injection, ketamine, klonopin, phenergan, promethazine, promethazine syrup, shoot up, shooting up, tramadol