Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Opium & Poppy
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 03-10-2005, 19:42
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
pokergod0588 needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
Points: 810, Level: 4 Points: 810, Level: 4 Points: 810, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Laudanum (recipe)

looked for a way to make in online (googled it i think) and found this excerpt from some story

http://www.nycgoth.com/more/laudanum/

Quote:
Laudanum

"She peeped over the edge of the mushroom, and her eyes immediately met those of a large blue caterpillar, that was sitting on the top, with its arms folded, quietly smoking a long hookah, and taking not the smallest notice of her or of anything else."

—Lewis Carroll

Laudanum was a wildly popular drug during the Victorian era. It was an opium-based painkiller prescribed for everything from headaches to tuberculosis. Victorian nursemaids even spoon fed the drug to cranky infants, often leading to the untimely deaths of their charges.

Originally, Laudanum was thought of as a drug of the working class. As it was cheaper than gin it was not uncommon for blue-collar men and woman to binge on laudanum after a hard week's work. Use of the drug spread rapidly. Doctors of the time prescribed it for almost every aliment. Many upper-class women developed habits.

The outbreak of tuberculosis may have been another factor in the drug's rising popularity. For a short period of time the tuberculosis "look" (very pale skin and frequent fainting spells) was quite in vogue. Victorian women went to great lengths to emulate the look, often taking arsenic to pale the skin (slowly poising themselves to death).

Laudanum's biggest clam to fame however was its use by the romantic poets. Many of the Pre-Raphaelites (Among them Lord Byron, Shelly and others) were know to indulge. The image of the romantic poet, pale, morose, drunk on absinthe and laudanum is a common one. The film Gothic portrays the stereotypical image of that society. In reality, most of the PRB were heavy drinkers first and formost.

This excerpt (source unknown) describes the process of making laudanum.

"She got up and went to the cabinet and took out a basketful of withered poppies and set about making laudanum. She picked out the poppy heads one by one, pierced the capsules with a sewing needle and then dropped them into a small glazed crock and set it near the stove for the opium to sweat out."

Afterwards, the extract would be mixed with sugar and/or alcohol to make it easier to drink.

Laudanum is probably no longer manufactured anywhere in the world. It's closest modern relative is paragoric, which also is no longer being made.

Several drugs and aesthetic practices serve as archetypes of this era-gone-by. Some are still readily available, others available in certain parts of the world. Work such as was produced under the influence of these has not been seen since. Whether that is attributable to their chemical indulgences or merely their social climate is arguable and perhaps we may never have an answer.

Commentary by Nancy Garica-Vidal, Thursday, November 5, 1998.
it basically said to take the poppy seeds and poke little holes in them with a pin/needle then place them on the stove in a pan on low and let them "sweat out".....this liquid is the laudanum which can them be mixed with alcohol or some other strong drink that will mask the taste

will this work or was it just a story? anyone ever have laudanum before and what was it like? does it feel like opium? heroin?

Last edited by Helene; 27-02-2010 at 19:32. Reason: adding link content
Old 03-10-2005, 20:22
Silver Member

Male
armatitumor is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 231, Level: 2 Points: 231, Level: 2 Points: 231, Level: 2
That's awesome, I doubt its true or worthwhile though. Are poppy seeds
readily available at hardware stores? Maybe I'll try this for myself.
Old 03-10-2005, 21:06

Male
pokergod0588 needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
found this one too, http://www.poppies.org/news/97809844592476.shtml
Quote:
Dried Poppy Laudanum
Posted by Tappuck -- December 29, 2000

Being a big fan of opiates (in moderation), but also feeling that poppy tea is the single most vile and heinous liquid to ever pass my lips (no, I have not yet tried the CountryTime lemonade mix yet, but I will ;-)), I decided to try my hand at poppy laudanum, so to speak.

Ingredients and Tools

Small scale
Coffee Grinder
20 or so Giganthemum dried poppies
Stroh 160 proof Rum (80% alcohol) 750ml
2 Liter Tupperware Container
Cheesecloth or orther filtering substance

The Process

I used only the poppy heads, saving the stems for tea another time. I ground them up in the coffee grinder into a very fine powder, approx. 80 grams worth which I then mixed with all 750ml of the Stroh rum in the 2 liter tupperware container. I had a few recipes and I kind of split the difference between all of them. I was concerned that there might not be enough alcohol to hold all the opium in 80 grams of poppy heads (as no doubt somebody would point out if I didn't in this write up), but I have a lot of extra dried poppies, so I could afford to err on the wasteful side.

I then put the mixture in the fridge, shaking once or twice every day for 12 days. I was initially planning on only 10, but I got busy and didn't have time to finish until the 12th day. I filtered the liquid a few times through about 6 layers of cheesecloth.

I ended up with about 575 ml of the poppy rum. Most of the sediment was removed, but not all.

I took half of the liquid and put it over a low burner. When I say low, I mean low. The burner has a setting where it automatically turns itself on and off and is usually used for melting chocolate without burning it. I wanted to try evaporating some of the alcohol out to see if that helped with the potency.

After all, this is an experiment. The other half of the liquid I left as is. I stored both liquids in separate brown glass containers.

The Results

I put two tablespoons of the unevaporated poppy rum in a glass of coke. I had a nice, very mild, euphoria for about an hour. Another time, I tried two tablespoons of the evaporated poppy rum in a glass of coke and the effects were similar but lasted much longer and I had a very deep sleep that night. Warning, the poppy rum tastes awful. It's barely drinkable in coke as it is.

Summary

It's a lot of work for not much results, in my opinion. It'd be easier just to make tea and I think the tea has a stronger overall effect. I was definitely disappointed and probably won't do another batch. Of course, I'm a little disappointed in the whole dried poppy experience anyway. In the summer, I might try another Laudanum experiment using fresh poppy heads from my garden.

Stay tuned.

Tappuck

thought i'd share it with you

Last edited by Helene; 27-02-2010 at 19:31. Reason: adding link content
Old 03-10-2005, 21:13
Silver Member

Male
armatitumor is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 231, Level: 2 Points: 231, Level: 2 Points: 231, Level: 2
Interesting, the author doesnt seem too impressed with the outcome himself though.
Old 03-10-2005, 21:27
Palladium Member

Male from United States
bman1 probably knows what they are talking about.bman1 probably knows what they are talking about.bman1 probably knows what they are talking about.bman1 probably knows what they are talking about.bman1 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 864, Level: 4 Points: 864, Level: 4 Points: 864, Level: 4
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by armatitumor
That's awesome, I doubt its true or worthwhile though. Are poppy seeds
readily available at hardware stores? Maybe I'll try this for myself.

Seeds can be bought at ones local grocery store where the spices are
found, much more expensive this way but still poppy seeds

Old 03-10-2005, 21:55

Male

not in the states they aren't, atleast not around here in grocery stores....havnt checked the nurserys tho (i thought they were illegal here too)
Old 05-10-2005, 07:08
Silver Member

Male
Ninja Master is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 228, Level: 2 Points: 228, Level: 2 Points: 228, Level: 2
i think laudinum is made with fresh crushed poppy heads and a strong
liquor like everclear or brandy. this is an archaic caugh
suryp. does anyone have any other ideas on this?
Old 05-10-2005, 15:42

39 y/o Male
MrJim really adds to the discussion.MrJim really adds to the discussion.MrJim really adds to the discussion.MrJim really adds to the discussion.MrJim really adds to the discussion.MrJim really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,115, Level: 5 Points: 1,115, Level: 5 Points: 1,115, Level: 5

Laudanum is made with Opium. Poking little holes in poppy seeds is not going to do anything, except waste alot of your time and probably improve your fine motor skills.

The reason seeds come up at all as a source of opium is not because of whats in them, it's because of whats ON them. Seeds come out of a pod - Opiumcovers the seeds like tar. Inside the seed there is nothing but genetics. The seeds are washed, but some residue can remain. That residue is opium residue in minute quantities.

Laudanum is esentially opium in alcohol - There is no one standard recipe, when it was being used it was made differently by all doctors since medical practice didn't have the uniformity that it has now.

For ex.

Preparation instructions from Culpeper's Complete Herbal, 1653:
<BLOCKQUOTE>

Take of Opium extracted in spirit of Wine, one ounce, Saffron alike extracted, a dram and an half, Castorium one dram: let them be taken in tincture of half an ounce of species Diambræ newly made in spirit of Wine, add to them Ambergris, Musk, of each six grains, oil of Nutmegs ten drops, evaporate the moisture away in a bath, and leave the mass.

Pokergod - Seeds can be bought in the states in grocery stores. That poppy seed muffin, poppy seed bagel and poppy seed anything else you can think of is all from the somniform variety. Ironically it is the only poppy seed variety that is fit for human consumption.

That poppies.org recipe is as close to a real recipe as you can get with dried poppy heads. And it still isn't very good.</BLOCKQUOTE>Edited by: MrJim
Old 26-02-2010, 01:32

44 y/o Female
HeroinGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Re: Laudanum (recipe)

hahahahahahaha, did any of you even go to the link and read the recipe? First off it wasn't a recipe, it was an excerpt from a fictional story. Second and most importantly, it did not say pierce the poppy seeds with a sewing needle, it said pierce the poppy HEADS. Could you imagine piercing hundreds of thousands of poppy seeds with a sewing needle? you'd go insane. As for the an actual recipe I have yet to find an easy on online...yet. Stay posted
Old 26-02-2010, 22:36
Silver Member

Male from United States
death&decay is a decent psychonaut.death&decay is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 201, Level: 2 Points: 201, Level: 2 Points: 201, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

I was going to say... One must be more than devoted to spend an eternity poking holes in poppy seeds with a needs... The seeds are so very small I could only imagine how long a process like that would take if even possible at all... Made me laugh though.
Old 16-07-2013, 13:52

24 y/o Male from United Kingdom
TheGabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
Preparation instructions from Culpeper's Complete Herbal, 1653:
<BLOCKQUOTE>

Take of Opium extracted in spirit of Wine, one ounce, Saffron alike extracted, a dram and an half, Castorium one dram: let them be taken in tincture of half an ounce of species Diambræ newly made in spirit of Wine, add to them Ambergris, Musk, of each six grains, oil of Nutmegs ten drops, evaporate the moisture away in a bath, and leave the mass.

</BLOCKQUOTE>Edited by: MrJim
Is the Culpeper's recipe any good? I have a great interest in Laudanum but have yet to find a decent recipe.
Old 16-07-2013, 16:55
Silver Member

Male from Earth
vervain probably knows what they are talking about.vervain probably knows what they are talking about.vervain probably knows what they are talking about.vervain probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 736, Level: 4 Points: 736, Level: 4 Points: 736, Level: 4
Activity: 16.8% Activity: 16.8% Activity: 16.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGabe View Post
Is the Culpeper's recipe any good? I have a great interest in Laudanum but have yet to find a decent recipe.
You do know that ambergris is the lining of a sperm whale's intestine that washes up on beaches, and that musk is a gland extract from the male musk deer? And that castorium is basically beaver piss? This is a Rennaissance-era apothecary's potion, not laudanum.

Laudanum is just opium in an alcohol tincture. It's not rocket science.

Share this on:

Tags
drug, drugs, drugs forum, drugs-forum, laudanum, opium, poppy, poppy seed, spice, tincture