Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Tramadol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 26-02-2010, 23:18
Silver Member

Male from United States
CCApollo is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 175, Level: 2 Points: 175, Level: 2 Points: 175, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Problems with Tramadol

Hey there fellow SWIM'ers

I am a Chronic Daily Headache sufferer of 2 years now, and have recently been prescribed Tramadol for the pain, after 2 years of failed attempts to find relief. SWIM's problem is a tolerance issue I believe. From day one, SWIM's had to take 4 pills (200 MG) to achieve any effect. At this dose, it took the edge off of the pain, while still allowing SWIM to function, although SWIM had the usual narcotic effects to some extent. SWIM didn't get the "speedy" effect that others he's talked to experience, and it really doesn't do much to SWIM at all, for pain or pleasure if you will.

SWIM's doctor refuses to switch SWIM to a different medication, but as allowed SWIM to take 2 (100 MG) every 8 hours, with a max of 6 per day. SWIM gets a 180 pill prescription per month.

SWIM took 6 pills about an hour ago, as he has a very bad headache right now which has ruined his day, and doesn't feel any better. That is the max dose for the day, so SWIM doesn't know if he should take even more, but he really needs the help. Should I take more?

So, what should SWIM do about this situation? SWIM wants to be able to take a lower amount of this medicine, but still get the adequate relief/effects. He does also enjoy the effect of Opiates, and likes the "nod" when he's having a bad headache, as it takes away the stress he's had to deal with.

Thanks for the help everyone
Old 27-02-2010, 21:05
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
Helene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline Medline
Points: 4,235, Level: 9 Points: 4,235, Level: 9 Points: 4,235, Level: 9
Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7%
Re: Problems with Tramadol

Hey there CCApollo, welcome to DF.

The maximum safe dosage for tramadol is 400mg per day. So that would be eight of your 50mg pills. The reason for this hard and fast maximum dosage (other opiates don't tend to have such absolute maximums) is that tramadol can trigger fits. And at higher doses, tramadol can cause ones seizure threshold to decrease, thus making a seizure more likely to occur. Higher dose = greater risk.

So to directly answer your question, you should be okay taking up to 400mg of tramadol in any 24 hour period - that's an extra two 50mg tablets on top of your current six a day (300mg) dosage - as long as you have no history of seizures, epilepsy etc.

Just a quick note on the tolerance issue - a high opiate tolerance does not mean that one could take more tramadol without having a seizure. Opiate tolerance will not increase seizure threshold. With something like codeine, as long as the dose is calculated accurately and the tolerance is judged realistically, an increased dosage is comparatively safe, but this is not the case for tramadol. There is no way of knowing what your seizure threshold is, and so sticking to this maximum safe dosage is the only way to try and avoid potentially fatal fits.

Do you think that an extra two tablets (an extra 100mg) a day would be enough to keep the pain at bay? If so, this should work out well for you. Have you ever been prescribed codeine or dihydrocodine for this issue? Did that work out well, or not? If not, why not see if switching over to one of those might be acceptable? Dihydrocodeine is, if anything, slightly weaker than tramadol, but there isn't the added concern of a seizure risk at higher doses. Codeine would probably be too weak, as it's ceiling dose (maximum dose at in terms of efficacy) is pretty much level with your current tramadol dosage.

You should definitely avoid making the move to a stronger opiate. From "weak opiates" such as codeine, dihydrocodine and tramadol, there's a fairly big jump up to the next group of opiates, which include hydrocodone, morphine and oxycodone. And making this jump just makes things more complicated, in terms of tolerance, dependence, addiction and withdrawal.

Hopefully an occasional extra 100mg of tramadol a day will do the trick - in which, best thing to do is to tell your doc you're needing slightly extra, and ask him to up your script. 400mg is still within the safe daily dosage - this is what someone I know rather well was prescribed for post-operative dental/ jawbone pain, and it did the trick nicely. Bear in mind she has a rather high opiate tolerance (heroin addiction, methadone script etc) - it still worked well. If this increase doesn't help, then speak to your doc about maybe switching to codeine, dihydrocodeine or similar.

Good luck,

H

Post Quality Evaluations:
Excellent info, covers all of the relevant points.
A good shout. Spot on safety advice.

Last edited by Helene; 28-02-2010 at 12:22. Reason: neatening some messy wording
Old 27-02-2010, 21:18
Platinum Member & Advisor

missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 15,418, Level: 18 Points: 15,418, Level: 18 Points: 15,418, Level: 18
Activity: 7.5% Activity: 7.5% Activity: 7.5%

Is it possible to get a scan or for you to see a neurologist? Cos not all headaches are best treated with strong pain meds. For example, Neuropathic pain can actually worsen with strong opiate pain meds.

Here's a link to a site that explains what Neuropathic pain is.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Neuropathic-Pain.htm

This is just one of the causes of migraines. If this pain continues I'd advise you to ask the doctor for a referral. Sometimes taking meds just masks problems. Hope you feel better soon love.

Sparkles.
Old 27-02-2010, 22:42
Silver Member

Male from United States

SWIM has spent the last 2 years going through all sorts pot
medications, diet/lifestle changes, and 3 hospitalizations with no relief. SWIM has had all
sorts of scans, with none revealing anything abnormal. He experiences constant headache pain which varies in intesity at seemingly random intervals.

SWIM is on the maximum amount of Tramadol as this
is being written, but is still in enough pain that it hurts
to look at my monitor.

SWIM has experience with stronger opiates (Oxy and Hydrocodone). Just like the Tramadol, He needed a large dose to get any relief. Even after a month of not using any narcotics, it still took 40 MG of Hydrocodone to be suffient. This is SWIM's preferred
method, since he has found it to be the most effective. It's the
closest to being pain free he's been in years. But every doctor
i've gone too is against using this regimine, and for good reason. It's
obviously dangerous, but I don't know what else to do.
I need to get control over this so I can move on with my
life.
Old 27-02-2010, 22:56

missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute

Does anything (apart from strong opiates) help at all? I know pain can be so debilitating, it just takes all of your energy. Every ounce of strength is needed just to cope with basic day to day living. Till you get the pain under control you can't possibly look for alternatives. Has SWIY had substance misuse issues in the past, cos I can't see what the doctor has against prescribing suitable pain meds...that would be the only reason. But then pain should be treated regardless of past substance misuse.

Maybe suggest to the doctor that until you get some relief from pain, you can't get enough sleep, it affects your appetite, and it generally impacts (in a very negative way) on your day to day life. Tell them that you cannot develop any other pain relieving techniques (you can't focus on reading a book) until you can concentrate. And with crippling pain that's not an option. Maybe if your doctor sees it from this perspective, maybe they'll show a little more understanding?

Sparkles.
Old 27-02-2010, 23:21
Silver Member

Male from United States

SWIM has done all of this, since it is all true. (Does SWIM need
to use a psudonym, even though the situation is completely legal in nature?)

The reason doctors won't perscribe stronger meds is definatly my age. Being only 18 years old, they don't trust me with the responsibility
involved (neither do my parents, who have done very little to help
me).

Thank you for the suggestions. The help is much appreciated.
Old 27-02-2010, 23:38

42 y/o Male
Psychonaut72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

SWIM has tried tramadol before and in SWIM's opinion, it is not a very effective drug for pain. Pain relief is weak at best and it takes forever to kick in for SWIM (2-2.5 hours even on a completely empty stomach).

What kind of headaches does SWIY have? Tension, migraine or cluster?

Where is the pain located? All over or is it confined to the left or right side of the head?

Is the pain constant or throbbing/pulsating (like every heartbeat sends a pulse of pain)?

Is the headache accompanied by any jaw pain or neck/shoulder pain?

Excellent questions to ask.
Old 27-02-2010, 23:44
Silver Member

Male from United States

My headaches have been diagnosed as a Mixed headache syndrome, so tension and traditional migraine.

Throbbing pain on both sides of my head, mostly forhead/temple area.
Old 28-02-2010, 00:06

42 y/o Male

For SWIM Excedrin works better than tramadol on tension headaches and sometimes worked when even 25 mgs of hydrocodone didn't fully relieve the pain. When SWIM didn't have access to any opiate pain medication, Excedrin was the next best alternative.

The problem with opiates and over the counter headache meds is that they can cause rebound headaches when they wear off.

For migraines, has SWIY's doctor prescribed a triptan medication like Imitrex or Maxalt? SWIM has two friends who suffer from migraines and both say those triptans have helped them immensely.

Wikipedia's article on migraines has a good explanation of all the triggers (stress, food, weather, not enough sleep, skipping meals causing low blood sugar, alcohol) for migraines.

SWIM's number of headaches has decreased considerably once SWIM stopped drinking alcohol completely, slept a lot more, and reduced stress.

Also SWIY can ask SWIY's dentist if there is any evidence of teeth grinding or jaw clenching on SWIY's teeth. Grinding and clenching during sleep turned out to be a cause of a lot of SWIM's tension and migraine headaches. SWIM was then prescribed a blood pressure medication (Guanfacine) by his psychiatrist that almost completely stopped the nighttime teeth grinding and jaw clenching.

If all esle fails, has SWIM tried going to a neurologist or a Pain Management clinic instead of a regular doctor?

Hope that helps. Good luck, I know how debilitating constant headaches can be.
Old 28-02-2010, 00:11
Silver Member

Male from United States

I've done all the reasearch on my condition a hundred times over, and tried dozens of meds, including many of the triptan meds, such as Imitrex and Maxalt. Steroids, ergotamine, anti-depressants, depakote/other anti-siezure
meds, and more. I'm done wasting my time trying drugs
on a whim, which have little evidence to support their
use for my condition.
Old 28-02-2010, 00:14
Banned

Male
Dr_Janus is an unknown quantity at this point

Swim has been prescribed Tramadol in exactly the same way and has the exact same problems!

He was referred to a neurologist and given an MRI as the Tramadol merely took the edge off.

The problem here is that swiy is treating the SYMPTOM not the CAUSE. Swiy must seek professional advice and find out what is causing the headaches, then hopefully swiy can move forward and get some better treatment.

Swim wishes you all the best luck and he hopes you find some treatment that works for you! He is still on tramadol/diazepam combo at the moment and the tolerance issue sucks!
Old 28-02-2010, 00:38
Silver Member

Male from United States

My doctors have given up searching for the cause, and I
don't have the money to continually change drugs/test/ect.. I'm already in debt
for spending a month in the Diamond Headach Clinic hospital in Chicago.

I'm glad to have someone I can relate too, although Im saddened to know of others that suffer with constant pain without an accurate diagnosis or management regimine to
provide relief.

I recently started seeing a Pain Management Doctor, who is perscribing the Tramadol. He is against perscribing anything more, and it has been a pain in the ass to get my refills. They just don't answer the phone, and won't call back. My
last refill was 5 days late. I left 4 voicemails, and never recieved a call back. It's
rediculous. I am so tired of swithching doctors, because
no matter what I do, it's always the same thing. No proper
meds, poor service. The last 2 years have been beyond frusturating.
Old 28-02-2010, 00:49

42 y/o Male

SWIY can try Kratom

one liners offer little to the forum - pls explain why you think the OP should try kratom
Old 28-02-2010, 02:03
Palladium Member

28 y/o Male from Canada
I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.
Points: 1,362, Level: 5 Points: 1,362, Level: 5 Points: 1,362, Level: 5
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Do a search on torodol, or it could be spelt toradol, Im not sure, I just took my girlfriend to the E.R for a migraine, and thats what they gave her, it took it right away. All it is, is an anti-inflamitory.

As for the other drugs mentioned, dihydrocodeine is very very rarely prescribed in North America. For some reason doctors don't see much use in it. It is no good for migraines IMO because it takes so long to start working, up to two hours.

Codeine may work. SWIM is prescribed Codeine for headache's (tylenol 4). Its very sad, but it seems as though our southern neighbors doctors are really starting to throw any solution the involves narcotics, out the door. This dangerous drug tramadol is being prescribed more and more because they are so afraid to prescribe Lorcet, Vicodin or other like drugs. Which is ashame, because SWIM is no doctor, but he thinks Vicoprofen is perfect for SWIY. Its a combination of Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen. Its works very fast, and is potent enough that if one don't do it, then two definitely will.

SWIM thinks that SWIY needs to try and find a doctor that is more understanding and willing to prescribe such a drug. That doesn't mean SWIY needs to go all out doctor shopping, or manipulating, but just needs to see a few different doctors, always tell them what the previous prescribed and turn in the meds. Don't matter where SWIY goes, nobody is going to treat them all day long with such narcotics just for headaches or migraines, the usual prescription boundries for such ailments are 15-30 per month.

I realize the problems you guys are having down there with doctors and prescribing narcotics, and its also not your doctors fault, you have the DEA and all the junky''s faking pain to thank for that.

There are hundreds of doctors in just one city, it may take some time, but keep looking. My uncle spent 4 years and thousands of dollars before he finally found one that was considering.

Another solution, would be to contact an online consulation service(NOT online pharmacy) and they will tell SWIY where one of their closest doctors are located. Just do some homework. These outfits are pretty much offering pain med prescriptions legally in an "un-said" way. They are the most understanding, and not afraid of SWIY's country's law enforcement. These are people who are fighting for people like SWIY, so they can get adequate care, and medicines. This is actually a huge booming business in the USA right now. SWIY will still have to go see their doctor face to face, and may even have to travel hundreds of miles to see him, but its worth it. My uncle went this route, and he finally leads a pain free quality life. SWIM was actually the one who found the service for him, and they gave him a doctor. They are very expensive though, but no different then PM docs.

Dislaimer: Please think about everything, and please note that narcotics should only be used as a last alternative. They are highly addictive, and many people start out with ailments that require them and do fine for some time, then all hell breaks loose. SWIM is a prime example. Be carefull. SWIM would stop the tramadol. Tolerance builds rapidly to this drug, and the withdrawal is hell, bad enough that not even morphine made SWIM feel much better, when suffering from tramadol withdrawal. SWIM hates tramadol, and thinks it should be pulled off the market. It is way overprescribed in the states. Thank god canadian doctors see no use for it, and prescribe codeine instead.

Take care
Old 28-02-2010, 02:55
Silver Member

Male from United States

SWIM hate Tramadol too. Tolerance has built up very fast, for SWIM and won't go down. It makes SWIM's stomach hurt and his throat/mouth really dry, all while not helping very much. And the withdrawl SWIM went through last month when the doctor didn't bother to answer his phone/call back was one of the worst things SWIM's ever experienced. SWIM has been taking different Opiates (the most effective being Hydrocodone) for years now off and on. SWIM hadn't used in months before going on the Tramadol, but he still needed to take 4 pills to get some small relief. It's as if SWIM's tolerance level will never go down.

Only once or twice did SWIM get nasty side effects from Hydrocodone, as apposed to Tramadol, which I get every time. I have to carry a water bottle with me everywhere to keep my throat/mouth from getting too dry, which makes the throw up. Add that to the stomach issues and the lack of appitie associated with it, and SWIM has a bad deal. Oh yeah, and SWIM's HEAD STILL HURTS! He wants to get on a proper pain management regimine, that will let him function in the real world again, but be safe and follow all legalities put in place by the DEA. SWIM is not a junkie, and he's not doing this for the drugs (although he's come to love it, he really is in this to get better, not to get high.

My grades are awful now due to my condition. I scored a 29 on the ACT, one of the highest in my school, but my actual grades suck because of the time I spend out of school/lying in a dark room with a pillow on my head, trying to escape from the pain for even just a minute.

This condition (and the lack of proper treatment) has already ruined my life. Because of it, SWIM has lost the chance to make it into College (which is OK , since he wouldn't be able to handle it), and SWIM doesn't have any money to spend anyway, thanks to the useless hospital stays and countless drugs. Ever since he started having this, he's spent more and more time alone, because he doesn't like to be suffering in front of a friend. SWIM doesn't want to make them have to try make him feel better. SWIM can't make plans for the future with friends anymore, because he never know when it's going to get worse, incapasitatng him for the rest of the day/days. SWIM's friends have all turned their backs on me because I'm never around anymore.

Add this up to the recent death of my friend Andrew Koenig, and you can easily see why I'm upset right now. SWIM wishes he had some Lortab right now, just so he can have even just a half hour of relief.

Anyway...sorry for the rant. I'm just really frustruated right now.
Back to the topic at hand...

I've heard of taking 50-100 mg of DXM before SWIM's dose could help with the tolerance, and extend the half-life of the drug. Is this true in any way?

CCApollo added 11 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

For those interested, here is a Wiki page about CDH.

SWIM has used every drug on the page besides Gabapentin, with no substantial results. This led his former doctor at Diamond Headache Clinic to diagnose SWIM with Chonic Daily Refractory Headache, due to the lack of responce to medications.

CCApollo added 5 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

SWIM can't post the link due to being a neuuubie, so if interested, just search for Chronic Daily Headache at Wikipedia. Look for the page about management.

Last edited by CCApollo; 28-02-2010 at 02:55. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 28-02-2010, 03:32
Titanium Member

23 y/o Male from United States
Paradox is on the way upParadox is on the way upParadox is on the way up
Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2

Do NOT combine DXM and tramadol. DXM + SSRI's can cause Serotonin Syndrome, a possibly fatal condition.

SWIM can identify with what SWIY is going through. He has an undiagnosed condition that during flares amplifies all of the pain he feels. SWIM is also young and has similar problems with doctors being unwilling to prescribe stronger pain medications. SWIM was also pidgeonholed with the tramadol and had to beg and plea to get his hands on pain medications which actually provided relief.

SWIY definitely needs to find a different doctor. It is very clear from SWIY's posts that SWIY does not have a proper, trusting relationship with SWIY doctor. SWIM went through two or three before he found a doctor who identified with him and was willing to understand that the issue was pain, not drugs. SWIM would also encourage SWIY to try to get a prescription for the gabapentin, SWIM found that it reduced the baseline pain and allowed him to take less of the strong drugs.

The most important thing though is to not give up. You can not let this disease beat you. I would highly encourage you to reconnect with your friends. I know that showing pain around them can be very hard, but in my case, I found that most of my friends were supportive. Pain conditions are very strongly related to mood. I found that if I could do anything enjoyable, I would be in less pain and the pain would effect me less. It sounds like you have been going through a lot of things in addition to the pain and honestly, that can seriously worsen the pain. I would encourage you to find someone who you can talk to about your emotions regarding this situation. I can tell you that many of the members of this forum are some of the most supportive and caring people I have witnessed anywhere; especially online. I would suggest a professional also, but if you are tight on money, it can be much easier to open up online sometimes.

Please don't give up. That is the number one worst thing you can do. And never accept that your life is wrecked. I strongly believe you will find relief and be able to move forwards with your life. You can take classes at the local community college and transfer into a larger institution. You ALWAYS have opportunities, sometimes they are just very hard to see.

SWIM would also note that he has heard interesting things about psilocyblin and cluster headaches. Possibly something to look into.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Paradox; 28-02-2010 at 03:36. Reason: Forgot the most important piece of information.
Old 28-02-2010, 06:13

42 y/o Male

SWIM's friend with migraines takes Neurontin (gabapentin) and Cymbalta daily and Maxalt if she feels one coming on and that greatly reduces her headaches.
Old 28-02-2010, 09:34

I8MYC...is dihydrocodeine prescribed in North America? Didn't think it was available there love? And it does begin working in 25-40 mins...usually, certainly not anything near 2 hours.

But I do agree it's not that good for headaches. Personally, I've found that NSAIDs (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) work best, as you've already suggested. Usually a prep of pracetamol/codeine or ibuprofen/codeine works quite well. But people believe because it's an OTC (over the counter) meds, it's weak, and therefore useless for major pain.

Level of pain doesn't give a very accurate indication of what pain meds will work. Basically, just cos pain is extremely severe doesn't mean strong opiate meds are required. For example, really bad toothache (crippling pain sometimes) doesn't respond well to strong opiate pain relief.

Different types of pain, due to the various causes, may be better treated with non drug therapy. Some severe joint pain can be helped with manipulation therapy (physio) just as musculatory pain can be helped by steroid injections. Although the pain may be incredibly severe, until you find the cause, you're gonna be struggling to find a cure. Kinda hit and miss really.

But always work up to stronger pain meds, cos as has already been stated, some pain meds can actually cause headaches. Bit like some benzo's can cause anxiety.

The other thing, do you suffer from any sickness, notice any unusual sensory disturbances (visual or auditory) or notice any strange smells not normally present when you don't have a headache? I've found a link to a migraine site. It is a UK one, but the info is quite good, and it has some helpful tips.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/migraine.html

I hope you get something sorted soon sweetheart, to be honest I hate toothache and headaches, they're the only kinds of pain I find hard to function with. So I do sympathise...totally.

Sparkles.
Old 28-02-2010, 17:35
Silver Member

Male from United States

Not trying to ignore the above posts, SWIM is just in a hurry and looking for a quick answer.

Would it be a better idea to space out small doses, instead of taking larger amounts (400 mg) at once? Like, say 100 mg, and another 100 an hour later, ect..until the desired effects are achieved, without going over 400 mg?

CCApollo added 13 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

Also, is using small doese of Diphendydramine to potneitate the tramadol a good idea? SWIM can see how this could cause a problem, since it also acts as a mild SSRI, I've read.

This is a good point, dosing tramadol at increments increases its potency.

Last edited by CCApollo; 28-02-2010 at 17:35. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 28-02-2010, 17:50
Titanium Member

23 y/o Male from United States
Paradox is on the way upParadox is on the way upParadox is on the way up
Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2

SWIM has taken diphenhydramine while on tramadol and did not have any problems. Not that it's safe, mind you, but in SWIM's case nothing bad happened.

In SWIM's case with the tramadol, he took two(2x50mg), then 3-4 hours later two more, repeating until it was close to bed time. SWIM was never able to sleep on the tramadol, hence the diphenhydramine.

SWIM's body chemistry seems to be well suited to the tramadol though. He found doses around 200mg to be more recreational than his hydrocodone. The first time he took it he called his family and announced "I want to hug a puppy!" so SWIM's advice on tramadol might not be entirely relevant.
Old 28-02-2010, 18:25
Banned

25 y/o Male
JaWill88 is a decent psychonaut.JaWill88 is a decent psychonaut.

please try butalabital/apap/caffeine (Fioricet). It is THE ONLY thing that has ever gotten rid of a horrible headache, especially tension headache. there is the barbiturate, butalbital, that completely relaxes the muscles. that is by far the most important med. then there is the caffeine/apap which are low so swiy can take more than one if needed. and it is not scheduled so it can be bought online without seeing a doctor. swim has done it multiple times from one website with great service. he has also ordered carisoprodol (soma) from there which may really help as well. the only thing fioricet is prescribed for is tension headaches so swim really suggests swiy give it a try. pm me if swiy wants to know more.
Old 28-02-2010, 20:04
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaWill88 View Post
please try butalabital/apap/caffeine (Fioricet). It is THE ONLY thing that has ever gotten rid of a horrible headache, especially tension headache. there is the barbiturate, butalbital, that completely relaxes the muscles. that is by far the most important med. then there is the caffeine/apap which are low so swiy can take more than one if needed. and it is not scheduled so it can be bought online without seeing a doctor. swim has done it multiple times from one website with great service. he has also ordered carisoprodol (soma) from there which may really help as well. the only thing fioricet is prescribed for is tension headaches so swim really suggests swiy give it a try. pm me if swiy wants to know more.
SWIM was recently was given a script for Fioricet, and found them useful in conjunction with his tramadol, but also at higher doses. SWIM felt a lot better after taking 4 fioricet along with 200 mg of my Tramadol. I need to talk to my pain doctor about getting Fioricet put into my usual regimine.

CCApollo added 1 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCApollo View Post
Not trying to ignore the above posts, SWIM is just in a hurry and looking for a quick answer.

Would it be a better idea to space out small doses, instead of taking larger amounts (400 mg) at once? Like, say 100 mg, and another 100 an hour later, ect..until the desired effects are achieved, without going over 400 mg?

CCApollo added 13 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

Also, is using small doese of Diphendydramine to potneitate the tramadol a good idea? SWIM can see how this could cause a problem, since it also acts as a mild SSRI, I've read.
SWIM would like to take some of his meds, but wants an answer to this question before he takes his meds. What should SWIM do? Take a large dose all at once, or space it out? Which one will be more effective?

Last edited by CCApollo; 28-02-2010 at 20:04. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 28-02-2010, 20:06
Palladium Member

28 y/o Male from Canada
I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missparkles View Post
I8MYC...is dihydrocodeine prescribed in North America? Didn't think it was available there love? And it does begin working in 25-40 mins...usually, certainly not anything near 2 hours.

But I do agree it's not that good for headaches. Personally, I've found that NSAIDs (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) work best, as you've already suggested. Usually a prep of pracetamol/codeine or ibuprofen/codeine works quite well. But people believe because it's an OTC (over the counter) meds, it's weak, and therefore useless for major pain.

Level of pain doesn't give a very accurate indication of what pain meds will work. Basically, just cos pain is extremely severe doesn't mean strong opiate meds are required. For example, really bad toothache (crippling pain sometimes) doesn't respond well to strong opiate pain relief.

Different types of pain, due to the various causes, may be better treated with non drug therapy. Some severe joint pain can be helped with manipulation therapy (physio) just as musculatory pain can be helped by steroid injections. Although the pain may be incredibly severe, until you find the cause, you're gonna be struggling to find a cure. Kinda hit and miss really.

But always work up to stronger pain meds, cos as has already been stated, some pain meds can actually cause headaches. Bit like some benzo's can cause anxiety.

The other thing, do you suffer from any sickness, notice any unusual sensory disturbances (visual or auditory) or notice any strange smells not normally present when you don't have a headache? I've found a link to a migraine site. It is a UK one, but the info is quite good, and it has some helpful tips.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/migraine.html

I hope you get something sorted soon sweetheart, to be honest I hate toothache and headaches, they're the only kinds of pain I find hard to function with. So I do sympathise...totally.

Sparkles.
Yes sparks, it is available in north america, but no where's near the doses it is in the uk. I think it is called synalgos but Im not sure. I know the brands of it over here are in dosage's of no higher than 30mgs. When I asked my doctor about it for my pain, he said he prefers to prescribe me a codeine/acetaminophen combo because it works much faster. I think your maybe thinking of paramol, which does work faster. The paracetamol in it helps it absorb faster. DHC only containing preparations take much longer to work, SWIM knows because he buys DHC Continus and DF188Forte's. The DF118's work within 40minutes, but the time released ones do take a couple hours for SWIM to work. Though DHC is an agonist itself, its said its primary action is from its potent metabolite.

As to the OP, I think you really need to tell all of this to your doctor. Tell him what you told us. If your taking your maximum dose, and its giving you negative side-effects, and not working, then you need something else. Do understand that narcotics are not a front line treatment for the problem you describe. There are drugs that work much better than narcotics for chronic headache's. Im pretty sure the doctor will not be prescribing any narcotics. If your migrains are really bothering you is much as you describe, then you should explore all non-narcotic options. As a rule of thumb, they are used more for skelatal muscle and bone problems, then they are for soft tissue or neurologic issues.

I really don't think the any doctor will use narcotics, and if they do, it would only be up to 30 per month. I would stay away from them in the first place. I take prescribed narcotics and I take them as prescribed, and its not very fun being dependant on them. Especially when it gets to the point where they are taken all day everyday, and they dont work as well as they did in the beginning. There was boom in the 90's and early 2000's in prescribing narcotics, but due to all the addiction issue's, things are going the other way. Also no doctor will want to prescribe them all day long for an issue like yours(headache's). Most of them are very cautious because so many have been prescribed hydrocodone,codeine or small dose oxycodone for simple issues, and have been enough to trigger an addiction.

I hope you feel better. I really think you'll have the best of luck with an online consultation service, they will give you a doctor that you can go see face to face.

i8myc
Old 28-02-2010, 20:33

Dihydrocodeine 30 mg IR (instant release) are the same as DHC SR (slow realease) just that the slow release pills are in 60, 90, and 120 mg doses. The IR tabs take about 40 mins, the SR take about 3 hours to get to a peak of 60 mg. Take the SR twice daily and you have a consistent amount of this meds going into you system 24 hours a day.

In the UK doctors will try to get pain patients (who have a history of previous substance misuse) to take the slow release preparations as the IR are more abusable. You (supposedly) get a buzz from the IR that doesn't occur with the SR pills. Having said that, if you chew them the time release effects are negated, and it's the same as taking the IR tabs.

Sparkles.
Old 28-02-2010, 20:51
Palladium Member

28 y/o Male from Canada

Actually, the time release on th Continues ones are pretty good, you can find a thread of SWIM's about it, even after these pills are crushed, they dont deliver the medication any faster. They have a non-ionic binder in them, unlike oxycontin, ms-contin, or like combinations. SWIM has tried both the teva 30mg IR's, and the martindale DF118's, and they are delivered much faster then even crushing a Continus.

I take a 90mg DHC Continus in 12 hour intervals, and when pain gets severe, I take an instant release.

You are very correct about the abuse potential of the IR's though, its because they are water soluable, so you know what that brings, the Continus arn't soluable in water. Would it be correct if I said that the IR versions are very difficult to be prescribed sparks? I think its the same as vicodin,lortab,lorcet and such in the states, the doctors are very on to the problems they cause. My doctor told me the medical board is advising against prescribing fast acting scd II narcotics in take home units. They are starting to use low dose (10-20mg) long acting analgesics. Methadone in 10 and 20mgs is really starting to be a favorite. My doctor has pulled as many of his patents as possible off of hydromorphone(dilaudid), Oxycodone and morphine tablets, and opted for fentanyl patches. Though SWIM doubts they are any less abusable, the above drugs are obviously favorites for abusers.

I never understood why north american doctors wont use Slow release dihydrocodeine preparations, when DHC and its metabolite Dihydromorphine, are widely used in europe and japan. Im guessing it has to do with pharmaceutical politics.

Share this on:

Tags
chronic headaches, dihydrocodeine, drugs, drugs-forum, injecting, paramol, tramadol, tramadol effects, ultram