Register Tags

Notices

Opiates & Opioids Opiates & Opioids.

Old 26-02-2010, 01:26

Female from United States
pandacake is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Missed a vein, large lump has me worried!

My friend's cat says:

Ok, I have missed veins before and usually the lump went away within a few minutes. But this lump on my inner elbow has been there for 2 days now and isn't getting any smaller (or bigger). It isnt red or anything, but it is hard as hell and somewhat tender. It's about the size of a quarter. I injected about 40 mgs of oxycontin, used a clean needle... I really hope it's not an abscess, because I'm afraid if I go to the hospital they will baker-act me and make me go into some kind of treatment, like they did to a friend of mine when he OD'ed.

I just want to know if 2 days is a long time, if it should be going down by now or what. when can I expect it to start going down? I'm very worried

Post Quality Evaluations:
please avoid self incriminating

Last edited by Helene; 27-02-2010 at 18:35. Reason: self incrimination
Old 26-02-2010, 01:42
Palladium Member

43 y/o Male from England
Space Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline Medline
Points: 5,780, Level: 11 Points: 5,780, Level: 11 Points: 5,780, Level: 11
Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0%
Re: Missed a vein, large lump has me worried!

Welcome to DF, please go back and read the rules, never incriminate, it can get a person banned.

When SWIYs blown the shot, it creates a fair amount of irritation to the muscle, connective tissue, and vessels surrounding the injection site. SWIY will absorb the drug, only slowly and erratically so don't be tempted to inject more drug. Perivascular injection (or missing the vein) can result in "phlebitis" or an inflammation of a blood vessel which results in a red, painful, hot and swollen lump undeneath the skin. The best thing to do when this happens is to apply ice to the swelling. If it persists longer than a day seek medical attention.
Old 27-02-2010, 18:53
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
Helene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline Medline
Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9
Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0%

Hi there Pandacake, welcome to DF.

As I'm sure you already know, when you miss a hit the drug solution is injected into the tissue surrounding the vein, instead of the vein itself. As Space Numpty said in his above post, the soluble content of the hit (which should include the drug itself) will eventually get absorbed into your blood stream. However, this will take a while, and additionally there will be stuff in the hit that won't be as easily absorbed - in the context of injecting pills, this will be any fillers and binders that ended up in your syringe. This stuff, when not injected into a vein, is just going to sit there until your body's immune system manages to get rid of it. This is what causes the lump you mention.

There is no hard and fast rule about how long this should take to heal - what is more important is whether or not an infection develops. It is possible to have something called a sterile abscess - this is basically a foreign body in your flesh, but one which your immune system has managed to prevent from getting infected. A couple of months ago someone I know rather well missed some of a hit of heroin in her hand, when aiming for that vein that runs between your index finger and your thumb. Straight afterwards, the whole area swelled up a lot, but a day or two later the swelling concentrated, and a hard lump about the size of a small marble developed. Luckily it never got infected, but it is taking a rather long time to recover - over eight weeks later, it's a lot smaller now, but you can definitely still feel it if you press on that spot of her hand.

Although this is rather gross, it's not really a health risk. What you do need to watch out for, however, is any sign of infection. The following are cause for alarm - Local signs of infection (around the injection site): Anything other than a mild tenderness. Any increase in swelling, or the area becoming hot to the touch. More generalised signs of infection: A temperature, headache, aching limbs etc. Fever or shivering, hot flushes. If any of these occur, it's time to go see a doctor. They can't force you into treatment, not if it's against your wishes - don't worry about that. In all likelihood they'll prescribe you with some antibiotics, offer you access to a drug service, and leave it at that. Making an appointment with your doc is probably a better idea than going to the hospital if you're just a little concerned, or if any minor symptoms occur. But if there is any urgent cause for concern (more extreme symptoms) you must head to your local A&E straight away.

Just keep an eye on it. Make sure you look after yourself in the mean time - keeping healthy will give your immune system a better chance of fighting off any infection. Lots of fresh fruit and veg to keep your vitamin intake up. Vitamin c is excellent for your immune system. And for god's sake don't inject in the same spot (or even anywhere near to it) until it's completely healed!

Hope it all works out okay,

H

great, caring answer to the OP
answered everything I was wanting to know MYSELF.thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 15:32

Female from United States
pandacake is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanks so much for the replies. And so sorry about the self-incrimination thing

It's been a few more days now and SWIM's lump is definitely getting smaller. Still there, but obviously going away. SWIM feels much better about it and really appreciates that message boards like this exist where someone can ask for help without judgment.
Old 10-06-2012, 22:24

30 y/o Male from United States
bduu13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Hi I have a friend thatwas shooting Meth and missed in one of her main Veins and a while later couple hours to a day she shoot up some more below where she previously missed. Now about the first missfye is a purplish bump that has grown in size the last 3-4 hours. She says it really hurts and her arm and hand are numb (like a body part falling asleep). What should we do? She doesn't want to go to the doctor cause she thinks she'll get in troubple or lose part time custody of her kid. Any help would be greatly appreciate.
thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 22:28
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
Zhekarius is captain of the psychonauts.Zhekarius is captain of the psychonauts.Zhekarius is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 818, Level: 4 Points: 818, Level: 4 Points: 818, Level: 4
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

My no longer friend (it was some guy I knew from school) had swelling like that after shooting up oxycontin one time, he ended up having a very very bad infection and needing to go to an emergency room for treatment where they drained it and gave him a prescription of antibiotics for post-release treatment, had he not gone, he would have died or possibly lost a limb (it was a REALLY bad infection), I wouldn't take any chances, go to a doctor.

I should note that none of us had any idea if it was or wasn't infected, just that it had swollen pretty large, about the size of a golf ball or more, I had another friend who shot up heroin in his hand, but he missed the vein, the experience ultimately lead him to going clean, because he almost lost his hand, and he was extremely lucky the doctors were able to save it. Even sterilized needles can cause an infection, even if you apply alcohol to the injection site to sterilize it, there's always still a risk of infection and that increases when you don't inject properly, again, I wouldn't take any chances I'd go to a walk in clinic or something and see what they say about it, like previously stated no one can really 'force' you into treatment so don't worry about that part, just to be safe, it never hurts to make sure.

Last edited by Zhekarius; 12-06-2012 at 21:00. Reason: clarifying
Old 31-10-2012, 11:06

Male from United States
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I had an incident similar to this over the past couple days. I kept hitting the same vein, was able to register but after injecting my hand twitched and I think I slipped badly. Everything was fine for a little while. Two days go by and a had a huge bump on my injection site (forearm). After reading posts and the dangers of abscess I immediately walked down to the ER, and got looked at. The ER put in an IV of Saline and an Antibiotic, had to wait for the DR to come in. He numbed my arm, and cut it open to see if there was any puss. Luckly there was only like a little extra fluid that he swabbed out for a culture check. It turned out to only be a hematoma. He packed the wound with gaze and sent me on my way. The knot on my arm was huge. It swelled really bad although didn't really hurt. I just told the Dr. that i was at a party got way to hammered and was not thinking. Just said there was clean rigs, and plenty of shizzle so I went for a hit. I told him (granted I was being a wise butt) i'm not a nurse or Dr. it's not like I do this all the time.

My lump was not really red and didn't hurt at touch, didn't feel hot, just was tender. But the size of the lump had me freaked out, and I didn't want it to get any worse. It feels odd sitting in the ER when you have people screaming in pain and all you got is a huge red bump from drug use, but glad I went. Hematoma or not it could have gotten worse. I usually never miss, yet even when I register I still get a small bump that lasts for a couple days. At first I was not surprised nor worried, but nothing would help shrink the bump. Now I get to sit two days, with gauze packed in my arm and it all wrapped up.

I know this post is long past late, but just thought I'd share my experience on this issue in case it helps anyone. Yes it was not as bad as it could be, (or perhaps I kept it from getting that bad) but as much as it sucked sitting in that ER, it felt a lot better walking out knowing I was going to be ok.
Old 23-02-2014, 02:53

45 y/o Male from United States
daryl430 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacake View Post
My friend's cat says:

Ok, I have missed veins before and usually the lump went away within a few minutes. But this lump on my inner elbow has been there for 2 days now and isn't getting any smaller (or bigger). It isnt red or anything, but it is hard as hell and somewhat tender. It's about the size of a quarter. I injected about 40 mgs of oxycontin, used a clean needle... I really hope it's not an abscess, because I'm afraid if I go to the hospital they will baker-act me and make me go into some kind of treatment, like they did to a friend of mine when he OD'ed.

I just want to know if 2 days is a long time, if it should be going down by now or what. when can I expect it to start going down? I'm very worried
It'll go away eventually bro....I've had lots of em.........40cc is a LARGE lump if you miss the vein.....
we all do it.......

Just rub it a Lot.......and put Vit E oil on it as you rub if you can get it....

the cheap shit at walmart works........)

I HATE MISSING !!!!!!......and WASTING MY SHOT !!!!!!!

UGH !!!!!........The areas around wherever u missed can be VERY VERY sore for days or weeks

Sucks...huh?.............)

daryl430 added 9 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduu13 View Post
Hi I have a friend thatwas shooting Meth and missed in one of her main Veins and a while later couple hours to a day she shoot up some more below where she previously missed. Now about the first missfye is a purplish bump that has grown in size the last 3-4 hours. She says it really hurts and her arm and hand are numb (like a body part falling asleep). What should we do? She doesn't want to go to the doctor cause she thinks she'll get in troubple or lose part time custody of her kid. Any help would be greatly appreciate.
thanks
go to ER....tell em someone must have put something in your drink,,,,caise you only had one........
Next thing you know........you woke up in a dark alley or park....or wherever...... bleeding.......

Someone tried to do something horrible to you.....and you're terrified.......

make it have happened in some bar where some people know you.....but not well.........

it's JUST crazy enough to get away with.........??????? )

it will eventually go away is a dangerous answer and could even be in a worst case senerio fatal. There are infections and abcesses people.

Last edited by daryl430; 23-02-2014 at 02:53. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 23-02-2014, 02:56
D0pe D0pe is nu online
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from United States
D0pe probably knows what they are talking about.D0pe probably knows what they are talking about.D0pe probably knows what they are talking about.D0pe probably knows what they are talking about.D0pe probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 741, Level: 4 Points: 741, Level: 4 Points: 741, Level: 4
Activity: 39.7% Activity: 39.7% Activity: 39.7%

Please go to the hospital or emergency room if you have a huge lump as the result from injecting.

I once had a small bump i ignored it, turned into a medium sized bump, Then it started to get harder and hurt like hell.. I had to go to the emergency room, I was in little pain.. But i just thought they would cut it open , give me some pain pills and antibiotics and send me on my way..

I was so doped up that the drugs were masking my pain and fever.

I ended up having a high fever, Had a infection that was so bad, If i would of waited a few more days i might of lost my arm..

Long story short, I spent 2 weeks in the hospital getting IV antibiotics....That is when i stopped using the needle.. Forever...

In the past i had a few bumps and infections that needed just a quick incision then they drain them, Then you pack them with a gauze string.. But this one was bad, And i had to go under for surgery... They removed a golf ball sized lump from my arm.. I was lucky it did not go into the muscle tissue...

When the doctor first looked at it when i was in the intake room, He took out a knife and sliced it open.. It let out a noise like a ballon would if you let the air out of it.. Then this yellow, gray, green, and red shit sprayed onto his mask.. Filling the room with this smell of death, The doctor and nurse had to step out of the room, I remember the doctor gagging like he was going to puke... And this guy was a doctor of 10 years.. Infections are serious... Sometimes you do not even know you have them..

Anyways, That was the end of that story... I have seen more than a few friend die because they let a festering arm soar go untreated.. 1 day they are walking around like a junky should, the next day they are in the hospital in intensive care, then the next morning you figure out they passed away during the night..

True story.. With all those super infections like MRSA Staph... That stuff cannot really be treated at home..
Old 23-02-2014, 03:01

45 y/o Male from United States
daryl430 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Like you were waiting on someone.........but they never showed................BUT
theier story will be....you never showed.....but you car was outside................???????

Got any really good friends /actors ?????.......;-)

daryl430 added 1 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

Like you were waiting on someone.........but they never showed................BUT
their story will be....you never showed.....but your car was outside................???????

Read more: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...#ixzz2u6uZc34x

Last edited by daryl430; 23-02-2014 at 03:01. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 23-02-2014, 08:22
D0pe D0pe is nu online
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from United States
D0pe probably knows what they are talking about.D0pe probably knows what they are talking about.D0pe probably knows what they are talking about.D0pe probably knows what they are talking about.D0pe probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 741, Level: 4 Points: 741, Level: 4 Points: 741, Level: 4
Activity: 39.7% Activity: 39.7% Activity: 39.7%

From what i understand about the hospitals in my area is that they treat people without notifying the police or treatment programs unless you are wanted for a crime and or not fit to take care of yourself..

I walked into the Hospital like a boss, WHen they collected urine i asked what for.. When they collected it "and they will" for a tox screen.. I asked if that information would go outside of the hospitals custody without my approval... They can throw you in treatment but in my state it takes more than just a doctor. You have to be reviewed by a group of people to deem you fit for a impatient service ""Which rarely happens""..

So if anyone decides to go that route of going to a hospital.. Ask as many questions prior to getting any treatment.. This can save you allot of pain and suffering in so many ways.. Granted treatment might be a good idea for some people.. But in my case i did not want it.. So every urine test, Every question they asked, Was followed up by questions like ""can u use this against me to take away my rights as a responsible and capable individual ?""...

When i refused the tests and questions they treated me anyways.. As i consented to treatment for my condition and nothing else.. I would not go as far as saying.. Im a out of control drug addict and i need help.. Or scream in agony because you need medication ""Reg Flags"... They will commit you with doctors orders. And depending on your states laws, Usually its a minimum hold of 24 hours to a few days..

This is all from my person experience and have never had trouble with the hospital in terms of commiting me to a place unwillingly.. Even when you get to treatment unwillingly , You can refuse the treatment at that place and i have seen people get let them go on there own accord, Signing documents that say they are not responsible for any harm on yourself or to others and that your treatment is terminated ""Commitment wise"".. Because what good is person if they do not want the treatment..

Either way, Its better to go to the hospital and not be scared of getting any punishment or rights taken away from you.. Its simply a matter of how well you appreciate your mortality and how fragile life is.. A bump on the arm is something to get checked out in my book..

May i also add that it might be better to see a walk in clinic first ? As they will not do anything above and beyond what they cannot do. A referral even adds to the confusion and custody of a patient transfer or referral for medical attention.

I do not claim i know anything specific about your situation not do i condone using my opinions and personal experience as a rule of thumb.. I am simply giving my experience and you can reflect on that and make your own personal choice.

Bump on the arm for a few days... Infection, Blood clot ? Who knows.... That stuff could be serious ? So the only factual advice i can give is that you get it checked out by some sort of medical professional...Period... "

Very helpful, I didn't think about the dialogue at the hospital. I feel more comfortable going now if the need arises.

Share this on:

Tags
abcess, injecting, missed vein, missing a vein, swelling at injection site

» New Threads
things around house to get high...
Last post by mecooliez
70 Replies, 1,496,161 Views
Legal drugs, research chemicals...
Last post by scimor
3 Replies, 1,968 Views
Naltrexone Experiences?
Last post by Chrisc