Meh. I don't know why people view OTC drugs
the way they do. Lack of "street cred" maybe? I don't see how it is more foolish to use a medication or substance that you purchased legally vs a street drug
that may contain any variety of adulterants not to mention the violence often associated with getting the end product to you (not judging the use of street drugs in any way, just pointing that out for comparison). That's like saying it was foolish to use cocaine
before 1970 but not after; or that it is more foolish to use cannabis
purchased with a membership card from a dispensary. We live in a society where most psychoactive
substances have been and are continuing to be banned because we can't be trusted to make decisions about our own lives and what to put in our bodies. I find that incredibly insulting and sad not to mention ineffective if the intention is to keep people from using them.
Many people use OTCs foolishly due to ignorance, youth, desperation or some combination of those things and perhaps that is where much of the stigma comes from. Those people ruin it for the rest of us and perpetuate ignorance and myth among the general population.
There are very few OTCs left that are worth using but some are still out there and I judge them based on their effects, not their legality/availability.
My experience with the ones you have mentioned:
- Probably the the most underrated, underestimated, misunderstood, and ridiculed OTC by people who have never tried it. This has given me the most intense profound experience of any drug legal or illegal I have ever tried. I have not used many other dissociatives
or psychedelics (due to lack of opportunity, not lack of desire), but I can't imagine much that would alter your perception more other than maybe DMT
and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things) but it's right up there with those based on descriptions I have heard from others. DXM is the only one I have person experience with so I can't say for sure and I'm talking about a high plateau trip. I don't really see it as a party drug or social drug in any way and I don't really understand why people would use it at lower doses or more than occasionally. Stupid people need to stop using the wrong kinds or not doing their research beforehand and ending up in the ER, but this goes for most drugs.
- Tried this at a "recreational" dose once and there was nothing recreational about it in my opinion. It just made me uncomfortable in my own skin and I suffer from restless legs badly enough on my own. I certainly don't need my whole body to feel that way. Works as a sleep aid sometimes.
Ephedrine - Used to take this when you could buy it cheaply in packets at any convenience store (a LONG time ago). It was good for staying awake, especially when drinking. I have never really enjoyed alcohol
by itself, but with Ephedrine, it was more fun. Never really experimented with it beyond that and then you couldn't get it anymore.
- Under it's influences as I type this! I took this for the first time tonight and I'm surprised in a good way by how effective it is. It is a valid alternative to other stimulants
if you don't mind it's inconveniences. Not to be sniffed at. Ha. Second only to DXM on the list for me or maybe tied at the top (apples and oranges).
Epinephrine - This medication almost killed me once when used for it's intended purpose. I have asthma and my prescription for albuterol had run out and I had no insurance so I used this as a temporary alternative. I had a bad cold at the time and this not only shut my lungs down, but it made the meds and anesthesia that the ER docs used ineffective. I became conscious while being catheterized and intubated which was horrific. I would never touch the stuff again unless I wanted to end up back in the ICU with a machine breathing for me. I can't even imagine using it to get high and I would strongly caution anyone else against using it for any reason at all if they value their life even slightly. I think this is the same med that killed Niki Taylor's (the model) sister Krissy.
- Tried this years ago and it was very weak. I probably didn't do it right or do enough.
- I might do this if I were around others doing it, but I wouldn't bother with it on my own. It just doesn't appeal to me enough to seek it out.
- No thanks, asking for trouble. I like my brain too much. I know there is very little evidence that I value it based on the rest of my post, but call me a hypocrite. I did try poppers
once but it just gave me a headache.