Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 24-02-2010, 00:38
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
Tempus950 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Detox # 2, getting Clonidine from a doctor?

So my dog is trying to detox again off H, and am wondering how easy it is to get a doctor to prescribe Clonidine for withdrawal symptoms? he has an appointment, and would really appreciate any input from anyone who has tried or has successfully managed to get it prescribed for their withdrawal symptoms.

And as to how well it works, that would be a massive help as well. Does it merely ease some of the symptoms, or does it make a person functional again, and able to do things they would normally do. my dog is aware of the dangers of it lowering blood pressure too much, hence my dog is worried about how easy it is going to be to get a prescription for this. Will a telephone appointment be enough? My dog explained his problems to the nurse who talked to a doctor, then set up a telephone appointment for him. I plan to tell the doctor about trying to quit, and reading about clonidine and hearing about it and needing it to quit with suboxone he already has.

Any input at all would help, thanks!

Tempus950 added 290 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

Doctor turned my dog down for it, says it is prone to cause drowsiness and low blood pressure that is dangerous. So instead, stay on H, its far safer. That last bit was just the message my dog interpreted, given his choices.

Last edited by Tempus950; 24-02-2010 at 00:38. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 24-02-2010, 02:14

54 y/o Male from Canada
Addicted2Morphine is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: Detox # 2, getting Clonidine from a doctor?

Hi Tempus, a friends doctor just put him on Clonidine 9 days ago for morphine addiction,it really helped big time to greatly reduce wicked withdrawal symptons,he swears by it now,and is feeling alot better.Only symptom's now are restless legs at night.Its too bad the Doc turned him away from it,but maybe there is a problem with blood-pressure?He could try clonazapam,as I here that it works great too,and it can be used in small doses with clonidine.Well good luck and.I hope the best for your friend
Old 24-02-2010, 02:37
Silver Member

damn my dogs really wishing he could get it, but hes screwed.
Old 24-02-2010, 07:53

Male
keepitnatural is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

A doctor will happily prescribe clonidine for withdrawals just be upfront with them. I highly recomend asking for something to sleep if you plan on getting any sleep at all. A benzo would also be a major help too, such as zanax or valium. Clonidine will not put a huge damper on the withdrawal but will take the edge off. Just drink tons of fluids, sit out in the sun if possible, and force yourself to eat. Stock up on immodium as well. Best wishes, If you have any questions please email me, silverbergd@gmail.com id love to help if I can. Best wishes
David

keepitnatural added 2 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

If your doctor turned it down he/she is not a good doctor. They should be there to help you during these tough times. The fact that they dont want to give you a short term prescription to help you combat one of the most wicked addictions and withdrawals is sickening.

Last edited by keepitnatural; 24-02-2010 at 07:53. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 24-02-2010, 23:42
Silver Member

Two doctors my dog has tried refused to prescribe it, instead asking him to enter their chemical dependency unit, where he would have to sign forms for treatment and undergo their whole procedure, instead of attempting to detox at home by himself. Is this standard procedure? Can my dog not attempt his detox at home by himself with Clonidine? This seems really devastating to him, as he is trying to quit, knows this medication is something that will help, and yet is unable to get it without signing his life away to a recovery program and spending money on it. For SWIanyone who has gotten prescribed the medicine, how did it work exactly? How did you get it, was it by telling your doctor that you had opiate dependence, or was it by going through a recovery program?

Tempus950 added 88 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

Doctor just prescribed two patches of Clonidine for my dog. I am wondering now: How long after his last dose should I wait? Until he is in withdrawal and take the bupe? Or should I give it to him prior to the bupe, somewhere after his last dose of H?

Last edited by Tempus950; 24-02-2010 at 23:42. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 25-02-2010, 04:19

Male
keepitnatural is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I would have your dog wait untill his withdrawal starts (24-36 hours after last dose) to take the clonidine and the bupe. There is no reason to take it before the onset of withdrawal. Clonidine will not be needed as much because the bupe at the right dose should really eliminate any major withdrawal symptoms
Old 04-03-2010, 19:37
Titanium Member

39 y/o Male from United States
flowertongue666 is captain of the psychonauts.flowertongue666 is captain of the psychonauts.flowertongue666 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 317, Level: 2 Points: 317, Level: 2 Points: 317, Level: 2
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%

I feel your pain, Tempus. My cat is going in to talk to a Dr. today and has been wondering if she should say 'drug addict' or 'has experienced high blood Pressure and insomnia'. My cat was in a treatment before and got IM shots of clonidine, not enough and they wanted the animal to suffer so she'd be more amenable to going to AA/NA. That was 10 yrs ago. The clonidine helped, but wasn't a magic bullet. (also, the cat said, in a sick way, she felt better just knowing she was gonna get a SHOT...).

I don't know what my cat should do. It's a small town vet, who will probably not know anything about opiate addiction and refer her to treatment facility. Treatment is a scam. They expect $1000-$1500 a day to tell a person to go to aa (even more, if it's a high priced clinic....).

I guess I don't care what they do. I'm gonna force my cat to detox no matter what. (and I'm not taking her into treatment). I see that they have all of the major ingredients (listed in Dickon's guide) available in some online withdrawal pills. I plan on buying them and immodium for her, but i know my cat is going to be climbing up the walls for 5-7 days anyways. At least I'm hoping it's only 5-7, this time the dumb cat got on Poppy Pod Tea (10 years ago was IV heroin) and she's been on a two year run. She has tapered down to 3 heaping tablepoons once a day and she's been pretty sick for the last 3 weeks (quick taper from 20+ HEAPING tabelspoons a day). Her D-Day is March 14th, so wish her luck. Her mate doesn't know, her kittens don't know, and her dumb, drug-testing, employer doesn't know. She only has one friend who she's been accountable to for following her taper. She's just sick and tired of being a slave and sick of the taste of PPT.
Wish her luck, I'm taking her to the vet and she'll play it by ear.

flowertongue666 added 3 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

Oh, yeah. The cat was gonna try Bupe but the closest vet is 110 miles away. The closest methadone clinic is 900 miles away. In a way, she says she's glad. If she can make it she won't have to be mess with always watching the methadone clock and living for the next little cup...

Last edited by flowertongue666; 04-03-2010 at 19:37. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
clonidine, clonidine for opiate withdrawal, clonodine, dealing with doctors, drug forums, help with withdrawal, opiate, opiate withdrawal, suboxone, suboxone withdrawal, treatment options, withdrawal, withdrawal treatment, withdrawals