Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 20-02-2010, 20:40
Silver Member

Male from United States
fuelBrain is a decent psychonaut.fuelBrain is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 212, Level: 2 Points: 212, Level: 2 Points: 212, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Adderall for opiate addiction

So SWIM did a search with little avail. SWIM was wondering if anybody else has used Adderall to cope with addiction at any point in time. Normally SWIM would see this as a bad combo, but SWIM has been going through PAWS since he had finally been able to taper off his addiction (especially due to the fact that he lost his wallet. Sounds bad, but it's probably a good thing). SWIM is still going through PAWS and today he remember he had 2 adderall laying inside his toolbox, so he took them. SWIM is only speaking for himself when he says that it made a HUGEEE difference, SWIM doesn't really have nearly as much of a craving, he is not cold all the time like he normally is in WD, and he has energy to do things. SWIM can even feel that light pressure in his eyes that he gets when he is high. SWIM personally beleives that this might have some potential.

Can anybody else contribute to this? Preferably somebody who isn't prescribed daily(only because this could sway their opinion).

P.S. SWIM knows it's not good to substitute one drug for another, but he really beleives that this made a hugeeee difference. I guess it doesn't really matter if anybody else thinks it does, but maybe explaining why could help somebody else down the road.
Old 20-02-2010, 21:07
Palladium Member

34 y/o Male from United Kingdom
G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 375, Level: 3 Points: 375, Level: 3 Points: 375, Level: 3
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Re: Adderall for opiate addiction

Swim thinks it's mainly coz of the dopamine released.
Swim experienced something similar whilst going through his recent opiate detox. Swim smoked some mdpv, which is similar to Adderall, and whilst on the mdpv there was no symtptoms of withdrawal, at all.
Swim's also sure he read somewhere that dopamine release can help with restless legs.
Old 20-02-2010, 23:23
Silver Member

Male from United States
fuelBrain is a decent psychonaut.fuelBrain is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 212, Level: 2 Points: 212, Level: 2 Points: 212, Level: 2

Wow after reading that SWIM just realized his RLS is gone. SWIM has RLS badddddd, even when he sleeps his parents tell him he shakes his feet/legs. It's still early in the day, but so far so good.
Old 21-02-2010, 02:36
Palladium Member

34 y/o Male from United Kingdom
G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 375, Level: 3 Points: 375, Level: 3 Points: 375, Level: 3

"Dopamine agonists are the most commonly used drugs to treat RLS. There are various types and brands. Dopamine agonists in effect 'top up' a low level of dopamine which is thought to be lacking in people with RLS. The two most commonly used dopamine agonists to treat RLS are ropinirole and pramipexole. There is a good chance that symptoms will go or greatly reduce in severity if you take one of these drugs."

hxxp://www.patient.co.uk/health/Restless-Legs-Syndrome.htm
Old 24-02-2010, 08:32

Male
keepitnatural is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

Adderal does help alot. I took my vyvanse ( dextroamphedamine) during my withdrawal and I have to admit that it did help alot. If you dont take adderal already though I would recomend only using it short term. Becarful not to exchange one addiction for another. I dont mean to sound like a hypocrite but ive been taking my vyvanse for 7 yrs and am just glad to be off of the opiates now. Best wishes

David
Old 10-03-2010, 20:38
Silver Member

Male from United States
thebige really adds to the discussion.thebige really adds to the discussion.thebige really adds to the discussion.thebige really adds to the discussion.thebige really adds to the discussion.thebige really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,072, Level: 5 Points: 1,072, Level: 5 Points: 1,072, Level: 5

Well swim can say that he has used/abused adderall,Dexedrine etc....to try and shake off PostAcuteWithdrawal depression...it has some pros and some cons.
Used sparingly would be best.......
But if swim were able to do that with opiates in the first place...swim wouldnt be on a opiate addiction forum.....
Old 08-11-2012, 21:42

Male from United States
HamHock is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

swim had developed an oxycodone habbit over the last year or so of about 360mg per day. He then got his hands on some fentanyl patches, which he now uses. Swim is confident that the fentanyl allowed him to get off the oxycodone with little to no WD, at the same time realizes substituting one drug for another is not the best advice, but honestly has never experienced anything so horrifying as oxycodone WD. Swim now goes through about one 50mcg fentanyl patch every 3 days, which is much less than he had been. (About 100mcg per day, sublingualy.) Swim has a job that he literally cannot call sick in for, so every 3rd day or so, swim experiences WD symptoms. Nothing crazy, just the norm, cold / hot flashes, muscle spasms, RLS, no sleep, lack of interest, and NO energy WHAT SO EVER. Swim recently got his hands on some Adderall, and had always thought that a stimulant like adderall should really make the WD symptoms worse, but after taking 40mg or so of adderall, swim felt 100x better, and all his energy returned and allowed him to go to work. Not sure if it will work for everyone, but it works for swim like a CHARM.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please do not use SWIM http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197306
Old 09-11-2012, 01:22
Silver Member

25 y/o Female from Canada
BitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline Medline
Points: 2,800, Level: 7 Points: 2,800, Level: 7 Points: 2,800, Level: 7
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%

There are many personal accounts as to the partial effectiveness amphetamines can have on opiate withdrawal. It sounds like you have or didn't have any tolerance to Adderall, so upon taking it, you got that full force magic rush. With me, I have taken adderall during opiate withdrawals and it helped slightly, but I am sure it would have helped more had I been less tolerant to the adderall. Also, I feel like there is some sort of mental placebo effect that goes on. For me, knowing I had some mood altering drug in me that is designed to make the mind feel good kept my spirits up in some weird way.

I found an interesting study on the matter, and I'd like to cite a few key points of what I am reading. By the way, this would provide some great information for a wiki article perhaps on polysubstance abuse and the use of one drug to mask the negative effects of another. This journal is called "Understanding polydrug use: review of heroin and cocaine co-use". This should still be relevant even though it looks at cocaine.

Quote:
Opioids and cocaine have different pharmacological modes of action. The different classes of opioid receptors, mu, delta and kappa, are naturally activated by three families of endogenous neuropeptides: the enkephalins, the endorphins and the dynorphins. Opioid drugs are classified according to the receptors that they agonize or antagonize.

Cocaine is a powerful stimulant drug and has two main modes of action. Cocaine blocks the re-uptake of serotonin (5-HT), dopamine (DA) and noradrenaline (NA), thus enhancing the duration and magnitude of their postsynaptic actions. Although pharmacologically different, heroin and cocaine share an important characteristic: they serve as powerful motivators of appetitive behaviour.

Although both of these drugs increase DA levels in the brain, each has multiple effects which may also play a role in their reinforcing effects. Furthermore, some of the effects of these drugs are opposite in direction; for example, acute opioids reduce activity in the NA systems of the brain, whereas acute cocaine increases extracellular NA by blocking re-uptake. Additionally, as mentioned above, heroin and cocaine can have effects on multiple neurochemical systems. Although indirect, cocaine, like heroin, has significant acute and chronic effects on the endogenous opioid system.

Also, after withdrawal from chronic exposure to opioid drugs, there is hyperactivity within the NA neurones in the locus coeruleus (LC), an effect thought to underlie some of the symptoms of opioid withdrawal. Because cocaine acts to block NA re-uptake, its acute effects will vary as a function of heroin exposure and withdrawal.

This is also really interesting. I'm sure everyone has heard of 'speedballing' (administering heroin and cocaine at the same time to get the best of both highs). The hypothesis that users inject a mixture of heroin and cocaine to induce a unique set of subjective effects has been investigated both in humans and in laboratory animals. Cocaine alone increased ratings of ‘stimulated’, whereas morphine alone increased ratings of ‘sedated’. When administered together in a single bolus, subjects reported feeling the typical subjective effects of both morphine and cocaine. The authors concluded that the simultaneous self-administration of cocaine and morphine does not produce subjective effects that are qualitatively different from those produced by either drug alone.

From these studies it can be concluded that the simultaneous administration of cocaine and opioids does not induce a novel set of subjective effects; rather, it induces, simultaneously, effects that are typical to both drugs. This, in itself, might be what attracts users to co-administer these two substances concurrently

If this is true, then perhaps it is not so shocking that speed/cocaine/uppers might alleviate the withdrawal symptoms.

Quote:
Several recent studies have provided evidence that cocaine can decrease the intensity of opioid withdrawal. In opioid-dependent individuals not in treatment, cocaine has been used to postpone withdrawal symptoms and to modulate the severity of opioid withdrawal. In humans and in rats physically dependent on heroin, morphine or methadone, withdrawal signs precipitated by naloxone are attenuated by acute cocaine administration. Curiously, it has also been reported that in heroin dependent individuals, a history of chronic use of high doses of cocaine reduces the symptoms of withdrawal induced by naloxone.

These observations might be explained by known pharmacological actions of opioids and cocaine at the level of the noradrenergic (NA) system. For example, although opioid drugs suppress activity in NA neurones, chronic opioid treatments lead to tolerance of this effect and, after withdrawal, to increased activity in these systems. In withdrawal, there is increased adenylate cyclase activity in the NA neurones in the LC, increased rate of cell firing and consequent increases in NA release in target regions. Furthermore, blockade of this NA hyperactivity reduces the severity and aversive nature of opioid withdrawal. Interestingly, although cocaine acts to block the NA transporter leading to greater availability of NA at postsynaptic sites, it also reduces NA cell firing because of greater activation of the NA alpha-2 autoreceptors. With chronic exposure to cocaine, these receptors become desensitized, but there is evidence that after a period of withdrawal from cocaine, the NA-mediated inhibition of NA neurones caused by acute exposure to cocaine is enhanced. Thus, paradoxically, cocaine could be an effective way to medicate the symptoms of opioid-withdrawal that are associated with NA hyperactivity.

The relationship between cocaine and opioid withdrawal is complicated further by the fact that the acute effects of cocaine are modulated by the severity of opioid dependence and by the severity of withdrawal the user is experiencing at the time of cocaine administration. In a series of interviews carried out with regular opioid users by Stine et al. (1993), over 70% reported opioid-like withdrawal symptoms immediately after cocaine use when they were under the influence of opioids. When in mild withdrawal, however, most subjects reported that cocaine relieved the symptoms for a short period of time.
Sorry if this went off topic, but it is a great article to explain how dual dependence can occur, which is something I am experiencing - using one drug to alleviate the negative symptoms of another drug, except I do it all the time, trying to get the best of both worlds. When you think about it, it is the same underlying theory as using amphetamine to help with withdrawals.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:01

Male from United States
HamHock is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

BitterSweet you're right on the money with that one. No tolerance to Adderall, and definitely agree that there is some placebo effect involved. It sounds like an amphetamine would help with post acute WD, and would probably make acute WD a bit more horrible.
Old 18-11-2012, 20:44
Silver Member

Male from United States
pharmmajor is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 167, Level: 2 Points: 167, Level: 2 Points: 167, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHock View Post
BitterSweet you're right on the money with that one. No tolerance to Adderall, and definitely agree that there is some placebo effect involved. It sounds like an amphetamine would help with post acute WD, and would probably make acute WD a bit more horrible.
I agree that they can make acute wd worse in a couple ways. I tried using uppers to help mine and a couple symptoms went away like the rls and lethargy but other symptoms were made much worse. Running nose and watery eyes. Horrible chills. Stomach cramps.

I think it's because uppers increase your level of norepinephrine. When ur in wd your norepinephrine levels are already really high. (Ur brain is still dosing it out to combat the opiates it's used to dealing with. It hasn't went back to normal yet) this is what causes the chills and so forth.

I don't know how uppers helped you people during acute withdrawal. But you guys are lucky. Blessed I'd say. Maybe ill try them when i get to being in PAWS.
Old 09-07-2014, 00:19

22 y/o Male from United States
Bergkamp is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

I can attest to adderall knocking 100 percent of what Imodium didn't.

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, help with withdrawal, opiate addiction, opiate withdrawal, paws, withdrawals