Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Alcohol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Alcohol Alcohol, including absinthe, hard liquor, beer, wine, and other assorted spirits.

Old 17-02-2010, 23:24
Palladium Member

27 y/o Male from Canada
Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.
Points: 1,938, Level: 6 Points: 1,938, Level: 6 Points: 1,938, Level: 6
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Calling all Mixologists, Bartenders, and Cocktail Enthusiasts

First off, after a quick scan of the search, I didnt see any general posts on cocktails. A few seasonal or holiday cocktail related threads, but nothing in the general realm of covering 'fancy umbrella drinks', so forgive me if this has been done before. My friend Dr. Raoul Duke is looking for other swimmers favorite cocktails, and as a graduate of bartending school and a passionate, if not amature, mixologist, Raoul's got a few to list. But lets keep it fancy here people, Dr. Duke and I don't want to see any Purple Hazes, or Screwdrivers, or Rum and cokes. Raoul's listed cocktails should give and idea of the kind of complexity he and I are interested in hearing about, so here we go:

Macree
- Rocks Glass
1 oz Jameson Irish Whiskey
1/2 oz Chambord raspberry/honey liquer
4 raspberries
3/4 oz cranberry juice
3/4 oz raspberry juice
1/2 oz sugar syrop
1/2 oz lemon juice
Muddle (crush) the raspberries in the jameson and chambord (you could do it any time, but the less liquid is in the glass, the easier they are to mush up), add the other ingredients, stir, fill remainder of glass with crushed ice.

French Kiss
- Martini glass
1 oz Chambord
1 oz Creme de Cacao
1 oz Vodka
1 1/2 oz half and half creme
Shake in a cocktail strainer with ice and pour into glass, garnish with a raspberry (floats) or a chocolate kiss (sinks)

Tropical Volcano
- Martini glass
1 oz Soho lychee liquer
1 oz Parrot Bay coconut rum (Malibu works, but PB is a more natural flavor)
1 oz Melon liquer
2 oz pineapple juice
1/4 oz grenadine syrop
Shake everything BUT the grenadine in a cocktail shaker, pour into glass. Then pour the grenadine into a teaspoon and, without tipping it, make contact with the inside of the glass. Now twist the glass in a circular motion while slowly drizzeling the grenadine down the side of the glass for a 'lava-like' effect.

So I hope that kicks-off this thread, Raoul and I can't wait to hear what kind of delicious cocktails other swimmers enjoy, and hell, hopefully we'll all learn something worth trying too.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Awesome recipes, a complexity that shows a true understanding of alcohology!
Old 18-02-2010, 04:12
Gold Member

Male from USA - Pennsylvania
bcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,765, Level: 7 Points: 2,765, Level: 7 Points: 2,765, Level: 7
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Re: Calling all Mixologists, Bartenders, and Cocktail Entusiasts

Yeah, I'd love to see a listing of successes (and failures, too, so as not to make the same mistakes) of a myriad of drinks, in one, easy-to-access thread.

I posted one of my buddy's recepies, that he's had succes with.("Ginger/Lime/Whiskey drink recepie")

I'm glad you've got some that work for SWIY...but I gotta say...I'd imagine the first two would put me in a diabetic coma (from all the sugar) before I managed to catch a buzz!
Old 18-02-2010, 04:34
Titanium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
rawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medline
Points: 3,183, Level: 8 Points: 3,183, Level: 8 Points: 3,183, Level: 8
Activity: 7.4% Activity: 7.4% Activity: 7.4%

Sorry these aren't quite as complex as yours, Yail (and what about the Glaucoma, from the Great Shark Hunt? You oughta know that one...what the hell is in it?) but they're worth trying. Three ingredients aren't much but the first one was just meant to be (and what a name!), and the second one's weirdness makes up for its simplicity.

They're both originals but I'm not expecting any royalty checks. Although the makers of Raw Tea had better watch their asses if they decide to start brewing beer...

The Big Apple

1 part whiskey (I prefer Irish in this recipe, but anything will work that isn't Scotch)
1 part Applejack
1/2 part sweet red vermouth

shake and serve up with a cherry and apple slice
(make as you would your favorite Manhattan - everyone likes different vermouth amounts - the equal parts whiskey and applejack is really the essence of this drink).

this is weird but I like it:

The Kentucky Samurai (AKA Japanese Cowboy)

2 measures bourbon
1 measure sake (that's right, sake)
3 measures lemonade (the American kind, not fizzy lemon-lime soda)

serve on the rocks - I'm still always tinkering with these ratios but this gives a good idea of what it's all about - the sake adds a smooth finish to the classic bourbon/lemonade which can be pretty abrasive on its own.
Old 18-02-2010, 06:03
Palladium Member

27 y/o Male from Canada
Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.Yail Bloor really knows their shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbeer View Post
Sorry these aren't quite as complex as yours, Yail (and what about the Glaucoma, from the Great Shark Hunt? You oughta know that one...what the hell is in it?) but they're worth trying. Three ingredients aren't much but the first one was just meant to be (and what a name!), and the second one's weirdness makes up for its simplicity.
OT: Believe it or not, Glaucoma popped into my head when writing that post, but Hunter S. Thompson didn't give detailed enough directions to replicate the drink. I quote- "...very precise measurements of gin, tequila, Kahlua, crushed ice, fruit juices, lime rinds, spices- all mixed to perfection in a tall frosted glass." - HST, The Great Shark Hunt, Playboy Magazine, Dec 1974. Other then that I never tried to look it up, even if it's real, it sounds less then excellent.

Back to the point, perhaps I came across a little harsh with the whole complexity thing. Raoul and I didn't expect other swimmers to match those drinks necessarily, we were trying to convey the point of being original more then anything. But either way, I would argue that a drink doesn't need 7 ingredients to be fancy, just well complimenting ingredients and/or a complex flavor is all it takes to beat the old standards, blue lagoon or vodka-cranberry or rye and ginger, which though tried and true, Raoul and I consider quite lame. So, in short, good suggestions, and Im deffinately gonna try the Kentucky Samurai some time.
Old 18-02-2010, 16:33
Silver Member

Female from United States
mindless magpie is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 131, Level: 1 Points: 131, Level: 1 Points: 131, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

You should try a windowlicker, a drink of my own invention:

1 part chartreuse
3-4 parts lemon ginger juice, to taste (you could prob. make this at home, I used a store-bought variety probably from knudsen's or similar)

Shake with ice, strain, enjoy. Lots of complexity, expecially for being made up of only two ingredients; tasty when it's hot outside. Cheers!
Old 18-02-2010, 17:30
Titanium Member

rawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medline

Glaucoma

1oz vodka
1oz rum
1oz gin
1oz coffee liquer
4oz lemon juice
1tsp sugar
1tsp ice
Strain and serve in a chilled glass.

So I looked around and this seems to be the standard recipe for Glaucoma, at least a few websites agree. I was never sure if it was even a real drink - you can never really be sure with HST.
You can't really blame Thompson for screwing up the ingredients, and making the drink seem more complicated than it really is, considering the state those two were in by that point in the story! (Which for me is a close second to Fear and Loathing - it lacks the socio-political depth but as a pure drug-adventure story it's just about perfect).
And of course every cocktail tends to vary a bit depending on whose making it and I wouldn't doubt that south of the border they figure out a way to get tequila and limes into it somehow (maybe sub tequila for vodka and throw in a but of mango juice or something? Maybe go 2oz lime/2oz lemon? As for 'spices', I'm at a loss).
But anyway I figured you'd appreciate that, Yail. I certainly know what I'll be doing tomorrow night...
Old 18-02-2010, 22:06
Palladium Member

27 y/o Male from Canada

Quote:
So I looked around and this seems to be the standard recipe for Glaucoma, at least a few websites agree. I was never sure if it was even a real drink - you can never really be sure with HST.
Exactly why I never bothered to look it up. Thompson's penchant for exageration tends to bend reality a bit... to say the least.

Quote:
You can't really blame Thompson for screwing up the ingredients, and making the drink seem more complicated than it really is, considering the state those two were in by that point in the story! (Which for me is a close second to Fear and Loathing - it lacks the socio-political depth but as a pure drug-adventure story it's just about perfect).
I agree entirely, HST was lucky he even remembered the name by that point.

Quote:
And of course every cocktail tends to vary a bit depending on whose making it and I wouldn't doubt that south of the border they figure out a way to get tequila and limes into it somehow (maybe sub tequila for vodka and throw in a but of mango juice or something? Maybe go 2oz lime/2oz lemon? As for 'spices', I'm at a loss).
But anyway I figured you'd appreciate that, Yail. I certainly know what I'll be doing tomorrow night...
Bear in mind south-of-the-boarder in these parts means you yankees, lol, but yeah I know what you were getting at. Can Mexicans make a drink without lime? I like to give this drink a shot, but I would never purchase all the ingredients at once just for the purpose of trying it. Thanks for the heads up, and if I ever find myself in a situation with all these ingredients at hand, I'll be sure to try a Glaucoma.

Last edited by Yail Bloor; 18-02-2010 at 22:08. Reason: spelling
Old 18-02-2010, 22:29
Titanium Member

Re: Calling all Mixologists, Bartenders, and Cocktail Enthusiasts

Not to offend anyone - I used to live in San Antonio and I have a great fondness for Mexican culture, and mean no disrespect whatsoever - but it doesn't seem like Mexicans can do much of anything without limes being involved.
I'm willing to say this publicly because I'm confident that if a Mexican reads it they'll laugh, and won't take it the wrong way. I mean it as the fondest of endearments.
Luckily I'm only lacking coffee liquer from the Glaucoma list (well, lemon juice too but I'm not gonna go broke buying a few lemons) and I'm willing to drop a few bucks to make this dream come true.
I'll get back to you in a couple days and report on the flavor!
Old 18-02-2010, 22:45
Palladium Member

27 y/o Male from Canada

Please do, Ill be waiting to hear about it. Hell, just might inspire me to get the two ingredients I'm missing as well. Btw, the lime thing, I laughed out loud on that one.
Old 19-02-2010, 06:47
Psychedelic Shepherdess

37 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Jatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15
Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8%

In terms of cocktail posts, there are a few

Tagging appropriate threads would allow us to see exactly what we have and where

Post Quality Evaluations:
thanks for the new tag and new mission!
Old 19-02-2010, 20:55
Titanium Member

And to keep this relevant, I'll add a weird variation on the martini:

3 parts Tanqueray Rangpur Lime Gin
1/2 part Lillet Blonde
1/2 part mead

Garnish with lime rind

The Glaucoma awaits. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to comment.

Last edited by Jatelka; 20-02-2010 at 08:07.
Old 19-02-2010, 21:23
Palladium Member

27 y/o Male from Canada

Brain Hemorage
- Tall double shot glass, better yet, the test-tube type shooter glasses (yeah not really a cocktail, but still really cool)
1oz Peach Schnapps
1oz Bailey's
1/2 tsp grenadine syrup
Pour the Peach Schnapps into the shot glass, it should fill about half-way. Angle the glass and gently pour in the Bailey's to nearly full. If done correctly the Baileys will float (layer) on top of the Schnapps. Drizzle the grenadine off a spoon into the shot glass. The grenadine will pull down strands of the Bailey's through the Peach Schnapps and settle at the bottem. This creates an awesome visual effect reminecent of a chunk of brain floating in a test tube. Don't look at it too long though, you want to drink this one before it starts to curdle. You could also sub Peach Schnapps for Blue Curacao and call it an Alien.

Raspberry Mojito
- Zombie/Collins Glass (tall thin glass, 10-12 oz capacity)
1 1/2oz Raspberry Vodka (I prefer Smirnoff)
4 fresh raspberries
2-4 fresh mint sprigs
1oz sugar syrup (cut this to 1/2oz if less sweetness is desired)
Minute Made LimeAde frozen concentrate, prepared according to the can
4-6 ice cubes, a good rule of thumb is to leave two to three fingers space empty between the top of the ice and the top of the glass.
Add the raspberry vodka to the empty zombie glass, add raspberries and mint and muddle (crush). Put ice in the glass now, but leave enough room for the sugar syrup (to make by the way, mix equal portions sugar and water and heat untill thoroughly dissolved) and about 3oz or more of Limeade. Then add syrup and Limeade and stir. Garnish with a few more raspberries and add two long straws.

Last edited by Yail Bloor; 07-06-2010 at 04:04. Reason: spelling, and wanted to add something
Old 19-02-2010, 23:48
Titanium Member

So the Glaucoma is a pretty tasty tropical-type drink, but I honestly think 4oz of lemon juice is too much. It's very tart, even with generous application of agave nectar (don't have powdered sugar on hand, and they're pretty much interchangeable.)
But the coffee notes nicely offset the tropical sweet/tart thing - imagine having a cup of coffee with a slice of lemon meringue pie.
I think with some tinkering this recipe could me much improved; now to figure out how to get the tequila and lime into it. As for spices I am not opposed to the idea of perhaps sprinkling a small amount of chili powder on this drink, it would blend nicely with the chocolate flavors in the kahlua.

But if anyone is thinking of trying it I'd back off a bit on lemon, maybe 3oz.
Old 20-02-2010, 00:08
Palladium Member

27 y/o Male from Canada

Alright, you've sold me buddy. Ill be trying this within the next week, just one question for you, did you squeeze fresh lemons, or use ReaLemon or an equivilant off-the-shelf lemon juice? I imagine there is probably quite a difference between the two, so I'd like to know. Also, a tip: Try sugar syrup instead of sugar, I find it blends better into the mixture. Although this may be similar to agave nectar, but I dont know, I've never used it.
Old 20-02-2010, 01:30
Banned

49 y/o Female
RetroHousewife is a decent psychonaut.RetroHousewife is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 513, Level: 3 Points: 513, Level: 3 Points: 513, Level: 3

Slow Comfortable Screw Up Against The Wall

Sloe gin
Southern Confort
Orange Juice
Galliano

If SWIY don't want it up against the wall, leave out the galliano.

SWIM also likes Long Island Tea, but everybody knows how to make that already don't they?

SWIM makes it with the 5 white liqours and a big splash of co-cola.
Old 20-02-2010, 02:16
Titanium Member

Fresh lemons, as I always do. I also was wondering if a different sweetener, or just more of it, would help, but I'd rather just reduce the lemon than go crazy with the sugar or whatever. But as I said I feel there's room for exploration here. Maybe a liquer, curacauo or something?
Old 14-11-2010, 22:55
Palladium Member

27 y/o Male from Canada

Raspberry Mint Daiquiri
- Margarita Glass
1 1/2 oz rum
4 oz raspberry puree
4-6 fresh mint leaves
4-6 ice cubes
Take a lime wedge and squeeze it around the rim of the glass, to moisten. Then put the glass upside-down on a plate of sugar and moved it around to coat the rim of the glass. Blend ingredients untill smooth, pour into glass, garnish with a mint sprig.

Chocolate Dream Martini
- Martini Glass
1/2 oz Baileys
1/2 oz Kahlua
1/2 oz Creme de Cacao (White)
2 oz milk
Shake in a cocktail shaker with ice, strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon, and or chocolate shavings.

Flying Grasshopper
- Martini or Margarita glass
1/3 oz Creme de Cacao (White)
1/3 oz Creme de Menthe (Green)
1/3 oz Vodka
1 oz milk
1 oz cream
Shake in a cocktail shaker with ice, strain into a martini or margarita glass. Garnish with shaved chocolate. Tastes just like chocolate mint ice-cream, for an interesting alternative, substitute the 1 oz creme for a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and blend.

Last edited by Yail Bloor; 07-12-2010 at 22:31.
Old 14-11-2010, 23:29
Banned

Male from Mexico
Killa Weigha is on the way upKilla Weigha is on the way upKilla Weigha is on the way up

This one's only available in a certain city in a certain South American country in a certain bar which changes locations every so often but it's called a Stevie Ray and it's simply an Iced-tea glass, rocks, bourbon and 1 metric unit Marching Powder. Only a "when in Rome" cocktail, I'm afraid.
Old 07-12-2010, 13:11
Palladium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Sven99 is on the way upSven99 is on the way upSven99 is on the way up
Points: 579, Level: 3 Points: 579, Level: 3 Points: 579, Level: 3

Swim is not much of a cocktails enthusiast, but has invented a couple of simple ones in his time.

Hand-fasting

1 part champagne
1 part mead (a sweet full bodied mead such as moniack is best)

Serve in a wine glass, preferably at a pagan wedding.

He's also quite fond of a mix of chartreuse and Baileys, but hasn't yet found a good name for it
Old 31-03-2011, 04:56
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Female from United States
nicedrug is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1

i think y'all mix drinkers are in to much of a hurry, you drink first then chase
  • 1 part whiskey
  • 1 bottle to hold it in (comes with whiskey)
remove plastic slow pour screen thing, position opening near mouth, raise bottom of bottle

(i know this is quite a useless 1 liner type thing but i thout it'd be funny and i kept it short, sorry if I offended)
Old 04-10-2013, 02:14
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Alien Sex Fiend is on the way upAlien Sex Fiend is on the way upAlien Sex Fiend is on the way upAlien Sex Fiend is on the way up
Points: 629, Level: 3 Points: 629, Level: 3 Points: 629, Level: 3
Activity: 49.0% Activity: 49.0% Activity: 49.0%

icy vodka with schweppes half and half

pour one shot of vodka, one shot of cherry juice and have a beer at hand. down a shot of cherry juice. right away down a shot of vodka. crack the beer open and flush it down. - college days chaser

pom wonderful with vodka half and half

Share this on:

Tags
drug, mixology

» New Threads
Can't get hard cause of Xanax?
Last post by doesit
3 Replies, 115 Views
Should i come off suboxone?
Last post by figgy
4 Replies, 74 Views
Tramadol use after prescribed for...