Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Ethnobotanicals Psychedelic plants, Iboga, Calea, Blue lotus, Ephedra, Sinicuichi, Betel nut, etc.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:38

26 y/o Male from United States
Mickeld should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Ginger root extract. NEone know how to do it?

Do not know if this has been spoken of before but here goes.
I have been trying out anti nausea alternatives lately and read that one can make a ginger Tincture that inly requires about 3 ML of liquid to be useful. I am looking for directions on how to make a Ginger Extract of sorts, to A save me money and B make it so I do not have to swallow a crud load of ginger! But the closest thing I could find was the tincture, but see I want a dry extract not a liquid extract. Perhaps drying the Tincture down until there is no liquid left will work.
Well neways Goggle search Ginger tincture Recipe, then click on the website ehow's website about it, that is the instructions on how to do it.
Remember, Im looking on how to make a dry powder extract of ginger that cures and/or prevents nausea! And if this question has already been answered please direct me to the correct Thread, because I looked and was unable to find anything close to answering the question I am answering!

Mickeld added 1 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

Wait I meant anything close to answering the question I am asking, not answering! woops totally misspoke there!

Post Quality Evaluations:
Do Not self-incriminate. Read the forum rules. Use SWIM (Someone Who Isn't Me) or similar.

Last edited by Mickeld; 12-01-2010 at 02:38. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-01-2010, 03:05
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
jtb is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Ginger root extract. NEone know how to do it?

well people make tinctures for a reason... there isnt much point in drying it out. it wont store as well and its more difficult to make. but ya you could evaporate the tincture. if you want to evaporate it use 180+ proof alcohol, it will be easier. you could even use 99% IPA if you be sure to allow it to dry out completely, which shouldnt take more than a day. but be sure it doesnt smell like the isopropyl before u eat it.

i always make ginger tea with about 2 Tbsp fresh chopped ginger when i get a cold. i guess a tincture would be nice to have though, but the tea is delicious and warm (=
Old 13-01-2010, 21:12

All right then two questions... 1 is if I dry out the tincture would it still have ALL its original Anti Nausea properties and 2 how long should I let the garlic sit in the alcohol for?
Old 14-01-2010, 01:58
Silver Member

it should retain all of its medicinal properties when dried, but it wont have as long of a shelf life. i would let the ginger soak for 2 weeks at least. a lot of herbalists begin soaking their herbs on the day of the full moon and let them sit until the night of the full moon, they believe it utilizes a natural drawing force. if you vigorously shake the jar a couple of times a day you could probably get away with soaking it for only 5-7 days.

use about 300 grams of fresh chopped ginger per liter of alcohol. again, if i were evaporating the liquid i would use 180+ proof alcohol.
Old 15-01-2010, 18:21

I have a pound and a half sitting here in the freezer. You also said I could get away with using 99% isopropyl alcohol. Do you know of any threads explaining how to purify isopropyl alcohol as simply and as cheaply as possible? Could I also use purified water and let it soak for 2 weeks and then let the concoction sit in a slow cooker for a night to evaporate the water off? If I do the second method is it ok, and would it kill the medicinal properties?
Old 15-01-2010, 19:42
Silver Member

you can find 99% isopropyl in many stores... its used a lot for cleaning electronics because it evaporates so quickly. you dont need to purify it. even if you can only find 91% thats ok, the other 9% is just water. using distilled/deionized h20 would probably not work so well.. water isn't as reliable a solvent as alcohol, especially without heat. you could possibly burn up the extract if you let it sit in a slow cooker too long after the water has evaporated, just depends. this is what i would do if i wanted a solid extract:

buy 90+ ethanol (everclear) or isopropyl alcohol. chop ginger finely and put in a jar, covering it in the alcohol. wait two weeks, shaking every once and a while, and filter off the ginger. pour the solvent into a large, flat pyrex baking dish and allow 1-2 days to evaporate.
Old 15-01-2010, 20:07
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,286, Level: 20 Points: 19,286, Level: 20 Points: 19,286, Level: 20
Activity: 59.3% Activity: 59.3% Activity: 59.3%

Why not just candy it? Cook it down in sugar solution and let it dry out. IT's going to be so much tastier then an extract. Make sure to spend a few extra bucks to get some good quality light brown sugar.

From Alton Brown:
Quote:
ngredients

* Nonstick spray
* 1 pound fresh ginger root
* 5 cups water
* Approximately 1 pound granulated sugar

Directions

Spray a cooling rack with nonstick spray and set it in a half sheet pan lined with parchment.

Peel the ginger root and slice into 1/8-inch thick slices using a mandoline. Place into a 4-quart saucepan with the water and set over medium-high heat. Cover and cook for 35 minutes or until the ginger is tender.

Transfer the ginger to a colander to drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Weigh the ginger and measure out an equal amount of sugar. Return the ginger and 1/4 cup water to the pan and add the sugar. Set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar syrup looks dry, has almost evaporated and begins to recrystallize, approximately 20 minutes. Transfer the ginger immediately to the cooling rack and spread to separate the individual pieces. Once completely cool, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Save the sugar that drops beneath the cooling rack and use to top ginger snaps, sprinkled over ice cream, sweeten coffee or reduce mescaline related nausea.
Old 15-01-2010, 22:17
Silver Member

ya that could work... im not sure though what effect the prolonged exposure to heat would have on the alkaloids in the ginger. i would generally prefer cold extractions but im sure it would be alright either way. they actually sell crystalized ginger in a lot of stores, i imagine you could find some and it likely has the same homeopathic effect.
Old 16-01-2010, 04:54
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,286, Level: 20 Points: 19,286, Level: 20 Points: 19,286, Level: 20
Activity: 59.3% Activity: 59.3% Activity: 59.3%

It works fine, I've eaten all sorts of ginger to calm stomach issues, pickled, candied, ginger candies. The active ingredients work just fine.

What do you mean "homeopathic effect"? Homeopathy is a delusional system with no medical foundation. Where as ginger calms stomachs, this is scientifically proven.
Old 16-01-2010, 07:37
Silver Member

ya, ur right. i generally consider herbalism or anything not having to do with pharmaceuticals and doctor offices as homeopathic, but that is false. i stand corrected!
Old 17-01-2010, 05:05

I just dont worry about the taste my friend, I'm capsuling it you see! I'm trying to get the active constituents into as purified as form as possible to be able to fit into a capsule efficiently! my question is when it is purified down into its purified form, it should only take like 100 mg to fix an upset stomach then right? Or less? See I seen Ginger capsules in wal-mart but each capsule was about 500 mg of powdered Ginger root, which got me thinking how much Ginger root purified will I need to kill nausea? And the candied Ginger idea sounds yummy! what does it taste like?

Share this on:

Tags
ethnobotanical extraction, extracting ginger