Notices

Opiates & Opioids Opiates & Opioids.

Old 06-12-2009, 19:13

42 y/o Male
dalejrfan71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Narcotic Pain meds

How long can you use Narcotic pain medications before the body is completely tolerant to them? Currently I am prescribed Percocet 5/325mg, Oxycontin 5 & 10mg & Hydromorph Contin 6mg. I take them because I have horrible pain due to osteoarthritis in my knees, back & hips.
Old 12-12-2009, 00:43
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

53 y/o Male from United States
desertimplant is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1
Re: Narcotic Pain meds

There's no easy answer. Everyone is different. And when used for real pain the tolerance is slower to build. For those using for recreation, tolerance is more defined by having to do more to get the same kind of high or rush...but for pain patients taking as directed, it will take longer. SWIM is also a pain patient for 10 yrs now. He started at 30mg Oxycodone\day and it worked well for 6+ mo. 10 yrs on SWIM now uses Opana (oxymorphone) 80mg\day (40mg ER\2)with 10mg IR for breakthru. Still not a horribly high dose for 10+ years on opiates. But again...no easy answer to the question...time will tell

Just a thought..why is Hydromorphone extended release AND oxycontin (also ER type) being prescribed together?..sort of strange. SWIM would have thought they would just up the dose of one or the other..the Percocets are obviously for breakthru so no mystery there. Just curious why the doc would opt for dual extend-release instead of just getting the dose on 1 or the other right
Old 12-12-2009, 00:57
R.I.P.

31 y/o Male from United States
dyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13
Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0%

This brings up a question SWIM has always wanted to ask.

After a bit of experience, SWIM never had a problem with his tolerance building to injecting heroin. He hears all kinds of propaganda about how your tolerance will build until you can't get high, and bullshit like that; but he'd just do 2 - 3 shots a day, spacing them out by 6 hours, and never had his tolerance go up, and would always get a great feeling and very high from each shot. Of course when SWIM first started using, he didn't understand the timing/dose thing, and his tolerance built. But after so long he figured out how to keep the great feeling without upping his dose.

Is it inevitable that tolerance builds to opiates for people with physical pain issues? Is there an actual difference there? Or is it just related to the same issue that recreational users have, where they don't have the experience/understanding to time/dose/balance it out, and typically end up raising their tolerance because of that?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:24

42 y/o Male

I have been taking pain meds for about a year now for pain due to arthritis in my hips, knees and back. I currently take Percocet 5/325 3x day and hydromorph contin 6mg 2 x day. I have to know, who is SWIM?
Old 12-12-2009, 16:12

Someone Who Isn't Me= SWIM and it is required in this forum to prevent self-incrimination. The rules are posted and have a detailed explanation of do's\don'ts

Do not use me, I, etc unless you want to have "authority figures" with bad attitudes showing up at your place

ON the question of "inevitable tolerance" ..again...no simple answer. Generally speaking, using opiates for long periods nearly always causes some tolerance to develop. For some it is faster than others and there is no simple way to determine degree of tolerance. SWIM has learned that pain management patients tend to take longer for tolerance to develop when taking their meds "as directed". Those looking for a rush or high usually require more faster to keep getting that same level of euphoria. SWIM started as a pain management patient and can say that as far as pain relief, it took him much longer to develop tolerance to a specific med\dose before it no longer helped the pain level. But long before that point, the original euphoric feeling was long gone.,..and the only way to get the euphoria was to up the dose or go to a more potent opiate....

SWIM has said the same thing in several posts on several topics but basically tolerance depends on A: what the end purpose is (pain control or getting high) B: Method of ingestion (eating, snorting, rectally, IV\IM etc) C: individual physiology and finally D: individual psychology..let's face it, some folks have dependency problems more than others...being psychologically dependent is almost always far worse than the physical dependency side...

IV'ing drugs tends to up one's tolerance faster than any of the other methods...if one is about getting the "rush" then expect one's tolerance to climb rapidly to a given drug....conversely, if one is using strictly for pain control and has good self control, then tolerance to any given drug will take considerably longer. SWIM took ~8 yrs to go from 20mg total oxycodone\day to 240mg\day (80mg ER 3\day)...

If getting a rush or getting high is the goal...then expect to have to up the dose frequently....no way around this... potentiating will help and taking breaks to detox will also help ....but there's good reasons why these are often referred to as "monkey on yer back".."dragon by the tail" etc etc.....if one plays with dangerous chemicals, don't expect to come away completely unscathed...always a price to be paid
Old 12-12-2009, 16:50

42 y/o Male

When I started taking my pain meds a year ago I started taking Percocet 5/325mg 3 x day and Oxycontin 5mg 3 x day. Then the oxycontin was increased to 10mg 3 x day. Then 2 weeks ago I went to see my doctor regarding getting refills for my daily meds.

He asked me if I was happy with how my pain meds were treating my pain. I said no so he had me take a pain quiz that had 7 questions. Out of a score of 70 I scored 60 for the level of pain I was in. So after that he switched me from taking oxycontin to hydromorph contin 6mg.

The hydromorph is taking some of the pain away but not all of it. He gave me enough for a 2 week to try and see if the dose is high enough. Then after the 2 weeks I go back to see him and take another pain quiz to see if the dose needs to be increased to 9mg.
Old 12-12-2009, 17:04

not trying to be a smartass..but did SWIY not read the first few lines of Desert's last post? Not SWIM's rules..the Forum's rules

If swiy keeps up with the I, me, my etc...prepare to be banned
Old 12-12-2009, 20:25

42 y/o Male

SWIM apologizes profusely about not following the rules. SWIM will make a concerted effort to follow the rules more thoroughly.

Share this on:

Tags
drugs-forum, hydromorph contin, narcotic, narcotics, opiate tolerance, oxycodone, pain management, pain medication, pain relief, percocet