Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 05-12-2009, 16:34

35 y/o Male from France
leanh should review received reputation comments.
Methadone(solid form) and Fentanyl patches

Bonjour everyone !
Swim history with substitution :
Well swim is on methadone since 2004 ( when swim reached 10 mg/day he manages a 6 months break, swim precises that he detox by himself without any medicines in approximately 10days,then 6 other months without any opioid use, and since 2 month , after an heroine retry, swim decided to go on methadone once again)
So, here's swim question : He is on methadone 70mg/day since 2 months.And swim, the lucky one manage to found fetanyl patches.Yesterday, late in the afternoon, he sticked 75g on his body, and the question is , is 75g strong enough to take only 20mg metha today ?
How long will swim be able to wait before he get sick and must continue his normal metha treatment ?
Swim heard that you have to wait a certain time before fentayl patches start to have effect, that's why he tooks only 20mg this morning and wait, and how long will the fentanyl would act on swim 's body before he gets sick again ??
Sorry but swim is french so if you dont understand me ask ...
Thanks to everyone that can help me understanding ....
XXX
Old 06-12-2009, 15:10
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
Helene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline Medline
Points: 4,235, Level: 9 Points: 4,235, Level: 9 Points: 4,235, Level: 9
Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7%
Re: Methadone(solid form) and Fentanyl patches

From what swim has been able to find out, a 75g/h transdermal fentanyl patch roughly equates to somewhere around 100mg of methadone over a 24 hours period. As ever, opiate conversion ratios can vary greatly from one to the next, but this seems to be the average equianalgesic dose stated.

So you really shouldn't be needing to top up with any methadone at all. In fact, swim would say it'd be rather dangerous to do so.

Transdermal fentanyl patches deliver the set dose (in this case, 75g/h) every hour for 72 hours, that is to say three days. After this, they will continue to deliver fentanyl, but the dosage isn't guaranteed.

Why are you using a fentanyl patch instead of your methadone? It is very unlikely that you will gain any euphoric narcotic effects from it, and swim would think that a steady methadone script would hold you better, in terms of staving off withdrawal. Certainly will be better than stopping and starting taking methadone, and swapping between it and other opiates. If keeping yourself well is your only concern (and you're not trying to get off on the fent), then swim's advice would be to stick to the meth - it has a long half life, and so keeps the levels in your body as steady as possible. This is why it's used for opiate substitution maintenance, I guess.

H

Last edited by Helene; 06-12-2009 at 15:18.
Old 06-12-2009, 19:19

35 y/o Male from France
leanh should review received reputation comments.
Re: Methadone(solid form) and Fentanyl patches

Hi !
Well, i think your right , :A 75g/H durogesic patch is approximately equal to a 100 mg methadone/24H dose
In fact it was just for a try, in swim's mind, fentanyl was THE opiate to try.
So , he did try it, and effectevly he was allright with it for about 48h and not really more high than with metha .Then i m ok with you, and my will is to keep going with my regular metha 70mg/day program.
Si it was just a try, i think that to really feel the fenta strenght you would have to use liquid for (sufenta) and with a extremly well calculated dosage and dilution.

Thanks for your concern and advices , and do not worry , i'm not trying to switch like this between opiates; i know my interest is to keep going with my regular substitution way ...
Thank you, a bientot !

Share this on:

Tags
detox, fentanyl, fentanyl patch, fentanyl patches, methadone, methadone comparison