Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Amphetamines addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Amphetamines addiction Support for coping with Amphetamine-, Meth- and Ecstasy- addiction and Amphetamine addiction treatment.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:11
Silver Member

35 y/o Male from United States
JonCoyote is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Lifespan of an i.v. meth user

Swim leads a happy, sucessful and very productive life, he works out, goes to college, eats healthy, hydrates often, has great sex life etc. Is happy all around.

But Swim uses meth daily via I.V. and has been doing so off and on for 10 years. Swim is VERY into harm reduction and takes every precaution possible when injecting.

Lately Swims been wondering, Just how long do i.v. meth users live? Keep in consideration the healthy lifestyle please.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2009, 12:14
Banned

58 y/o Male
old hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPAC
Points: 1,692, Level: 6 Points: 1,692, Level: 6 Points: 1,692, Level: 6
Re: Lifespan of an i.v. meth user

It will take a toll on the body, cowboy did the same back in the 80s and 90s. Watch out for the binges, they are the ones that really hurt the most.
Old 06-12-2009, 15:43
R.I.P.

Female
cyndi is on the way upcyndi is on the way upcyndi is on the way upcyndi is on the way up
Points: 350, Level: 2 Points: 350, Level: 2 Points: 350, Level: 2

Realize that the older we get the higher the probability that we could suffer a stroke, heart attack, death, etc. Meth becomes more harmful the older we get as it really beats our bodies up. IV'ing meth daily certainly could cause health concerns. Please be careful.
Old 06-01-2010, 13:13

38 y/o Male
whos that denial chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1

Lifespan of a IV meth user?
Impossible to answer, but that made me think about a certain issue.
SWIM has been doing it too for about 4-5 yrs and this is the honest truth,
SWIM has not in the whole time while using regularly been sick.
No flu, no chest infections, no real genuine sick days from work (yes SWIM takes lots of sick leave) and the only problems are due to lack of visits to the dentist. Yes SWIM has health insurance but doesn’t use it.

Why if using the I.V way slowly kills, then how come SWIMs immune system seems bullet proof?
Anyone else have similar story or even like to make sense of this without condoning its use.
Old 06-01-2010, 13:35
Banned

Male
johnnyyen should review received reputation comments.
Points: 112, Level: 1 Points: 112, Level: 1 Points: 112, Level: 1

Johnny tells me he believes some of us are blessed with tougher constitutions than the rest and can maintain longer what ever their IV DOC...but sooner or later the piper will come calling,the body runs on what ever it is fuelled with...if we hammer it year in year out,then it will let us know sooner or later that it it needs some R n R'...
Meth has a rep as the most depleting of all drugs....SWIM has done it back in the day yet didnt go at it as he did with smack..hence he has no personal long term experience of its effects..he can remember feeling very wrung out after short binges..
and would not care to try it again...
Old 09-01-2010, 06:49
R.I.P.

Female from United States
moda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medline
Points: 3,393, Level: 8 Points: 3,393, Level: 8 Points: 3,393, Level: 8

As for precise numbers, I have seen 5, 7, and 10 years from first use cited as an average (mean) in various sources, but was unable to find that they had cited a reliable source for this. Obviously to create a mean there is variation around that mean and individual data points both higher and lower than that figure. Since many meth addicts are not as conscious of health factors, I would guess that swiy would fall into one of the longer categories- i.e. somewhat longer expected lifespan than the average/mean. Of course no one can tell swiy for sure. But surely some of the factors causing death include AIDS, infections, etc. from shared or re-used needles, so if one is not fang into that risk category it would likely increase his expected lifespan. He would want to look at the factors which can contribute negatively to health that are relevant to his use- i.e possible chems or contaminants in street drugs, cardiovascular disease, other organ failures, etc. He should address those factors which he can in the ways he can- i.e. he cannot necessarily erase the cardiovascular risks associated with daily meth use, but he could do what he can in other areas to protect the heart; moderate exercise, healthy diet, reasonable cholesterol intake, etc. which it sounds like swiy also is already doing will help. Something like chemicals, contaminants, etc. are also obviously a risk inherent to IVing street drugs and likely cannot be avoided, but for example, seeking prompt medical attention if one does notice unusual symptoms of infection would likely help. You get the picture.

I hope this response is helpful; obviously no one can say, swiy would have x years life expectancy, but assuming the variation from 5-10 is reasonably accurate, and assuming that swiy is healthier than the "average" meth addict, one could surmise that he would be somewhat above (1-2 (?) standard deviations and such, took statistics but my brain doesn't exactly recall how to calculate this) the mean. I would guess a wide variation, with anywhere from a months to 50+ years. Specifically, if one wanted to increase lifespan and reduce health risks, swiy could look at those areas of risk which would apply equally to all meth users and try to take health precautions in other ways (that is, if one does not plan to quit using meth). Also, I believe these numbers are referring to people who are using continuously (though again they may have been plucked from someone's ass lol, as I am not yet finding the study that shows this was actually researched effectively, so take it with a grain of salt in terms of the actual numbers perhaps) so if swiy is using on and off as one states, this may be longer as it is not continuous use and the body may have a chance to heal itself more between uses.

Since you have posted this in the Recovery and Addiction forum, can I ask how swiy has felt when he has been off meth? And whether he is considering or wanting to quit again? This can be a great source of support, here on the meth R&A subforum and also even moreso the main R&A forum, when deciding to quit and going through the recovery process..

Best of luck to you!!

eta: Here is a link to a great post that links to studies about the length of time it takes for certain effects on the brain to set in from meth use, and the time it takes for the brain to heal after discontinuing meth use.. might be worth checking out.
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...97&postcount=2

Last edited by moda00; 09-01-2010 at 07:27.

Share this on:

Tags
meth lifestyle, meth use, meth user, methamphetamine lifestyle, methamphetamine use, methamphetamine user

» New Threads
Ever tried this to your syrup?
Last post by Gallama
1 Replies, 20 Views
Suspected N-Isopropyl West Coast
Last post by devo420
4 Replies, 128 Views
Anxiety caused by ADHD stimulants,...
Last post by snubi
0 Replies, 1 Views
Do any of you have kids?
Last post by ak907ice