Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Dissociatives > DXM
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

DXM Dextromethorphan

Old 29-11-2009, 01:52

Male from United States
AlienLinux should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
DXM and Nicotine / Tobacco

The other day SWIM was high on DXM.
He weigh 150 pounds (about 68 kg) and drank 4 oz of Robitussin Long acting.
A little bit after he was feeling really strong effects from the DXM, he smoked a cigarette.
Everything temporarily felt more powerful.
The effects of the DXM felt stronger.
Does smoking/vaporizing nicotine/tobacco while on DXM increase it's effects?
Or does DXM cause your nicotine buzz to feel stronger?
Or is it just Swim?

Feel free to comment on this.
It'd be more interesting to find out more on this.
Old 29-11-2009, 20:53
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

24 y/o Male from United States
themidnighttoker is a decent psychonaut.themidnighttoker is a decent psychonaut.
Re: DXM and Nicotine / Tobacco

My good friend SWIM found this info in Will White's FAQ about DXM + Nicotine:

Quote:
This is a combination I hadn't considered before, but which evidently is fairly interesting. Nicotine seems to vastly potentiate DXM's effects for some people, enough so that one user reported that one cigarette could floor him on a second plateau trip. Another user reported that nicotine helped him overcome some of the memory problems with higher doses of DXM, but tended to induce nausea.

On the other hand, several people have told me that DXM should be avoided if one smokes cigarettes regularly (even if you don't smoke during the trip), because of nausea, hot flashes, and other unpleasant interactions. This might be due to inhibition of MAO by cigarettes and if so, cigarettes should be avoided.

Also, SWIM found several sources further accrediting this claim. However, these sources also suggested that one should not smoke cigarettes on a third plateau trip and up, as it can cause SWIY's trip to become very unpleasant. Thanks for bringing this question up though, SWIM hadn't researched this before now; perhaps SWIM will try it next time he trips, even though he is only a casual smoker.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good info, thanks.
Old 29-11-2009, 23:50
Palladium Member

EscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline Medline
Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Nicotine is an MAOI (mono-amine oxidase inhibitior), and as such increases the effect of DXM. It isn't just swiy, a physiological reaction in the body causes nicotine to potentiate dxm.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Quick, easy and efficient response!
Old 02-12-2009, 14:19
Silver Member

23 y/o Female from United Kingdom
[tanarilla.] is on the way up[tanarilla.] is on the way up[tanarilla.] is on the way up
Points: 1,004, Level: 4 Points: 1,004, Level: 4 Points: 1,004, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My bunny has no desire to smoke under the influence, but she wouldn't think it would have a massive effect on the trip. It is actually written in ww's faq, as someone suggested before, that nicotine does indeed potentiate the effects.
Old 02-12-2009, 16:08
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from USA - Pennsylvania
VirtuallyEmotionless is captain of the psychonauts.VirtuallyEmotionless is captain of the psychonauts.VirtuallyEmotionless is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4

SWIM has experienced this first hand. It was pretty surprising. SWIM feels it made as much of a difference as doing some Nitrous Oxide while on DXM would have.

Upon looking back Cheshire Cat feels he didn't explain this exactly as he wanted. Let him clarify.....

The effect that came from smoking a cigarette while on dextromethorphan was nothing like nitrous oxide, with the exception of the short duration. However, he has done inhalants while on dextromethorphan, but it wasn't nitrous oxide, it was a can of compressed air. The type that is sold to clean electronics. The effect from the tobacco was about as strong as the inhalant's effects.

It really took him by surprise as he's smoked more than enough on DXM. It may have been because he hadn't had a cigarette for a few hours, and the fact that it wasn't actually a filtered cigarette. It was a foil pipe with the tobacco from cigarette butts thrown in it. Yeah, it's nasty, but better than having no cigarettes.

Again, for clarification, the effects were not nitrous oxide like, besides the duration, and how fast it took effect.

Last edited by VirtuallyEmotionless; 22-04-2011 at 21:28. Reason: Clarification.
Old 02-12-2009, 17:27
Titanium Member

Female from United States
sandoz1943 really adds to the discussion.sandoz1943 really adds to the discussion.sandoz1943 really adds to the discussion.sandoz1943 really adds to the discussion.sandoz1943 really adds to the discussion.sandoz1943 really adds to the discussion.sandoz1943 really adds to the discussion.
Points: 716, Level: 4 Points: 716, Level: 4 Points: 716, Level: 4
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

I found this thread very interesting. There are several threads out there about using DXM to quit smoking. Funny how differently DXM effects different people.

SWIM dislikes smoking while on DXM. She finds the taste truly awful. Sometimes she wont even smoke for several day after.

It would be interesting to see a survey of DXM users to see if more DXM users like or dislike smoking while under the influence.
Old 02-12-2009, 17:29
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from United States
darrick41 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 212, Level: 2 Points: 212, Level: 2 Points: 212, Level: 2

Swim is pretty sure there is another thread about this that was made pretty recently. In the future please make sure to use the search function. There are two ways. One is the search at the top of the page between new posts and quick links. There is another search at the top right of each forum, this says search this forum, and that is a more specific search. When you make a post without searching it clutters the site.

That being said:

Swim loves to smoke when he does dxm. He smokes cloves on occasion, and often when he has taken a lower dose 300-350 mg, sometimes when he smokes it makes the trip kick in a little faster and harder when he has a clove. Swim doesn't smoke usually when sober, but he loves his clove cigars when he is dexing.
Old 02-12-2009, 18:02

themidnighttoker is a decent psychonaut.themidnighttoker is a decent psychonaut.

SWIM is the same way; he usually only smokes hookah while sober, but when inebriated or baked he enjoys smoking more; especially cigars. I'd assume that he would enjoy smoking while Robotripping as well. Does the effect from the nicotine last the whole trip or does it dissipate after a while?
Old 02-12-2009, 18:32
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from USA - Pennsylvania
VirtuallyEmotionless is captain of the psychonauts.VirtuallyEmotionless is captain of the psychonauts.VirtuallyEmotionless is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by themidnighttoker View Post
SWIM is the same way; he usually only smokes hookah while sober, but when inebriated or baked he enjoys smoking more; especially cigars. I'd assume that he would enjoy smoking while Robotripping as well. Does the effect from the nicotine last the whole trip or does it dissipate after a while?
In SWIM's experience it wore off as fast as it hit, just like Nitrous Oxide.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:50

How disappointing. Oh well, thanks for the info anyway.
Old 16-12-2009, 08:58

39 y/o Male from United States
El Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,468, Level: 7 Points: 2,468, Level: 7 Points: 2,468, Level: 7

Hm. That suggests to Cally that the oxygen deprivation is as much a part of that trip as the oxygen replacement in question.

ECL
Old 17-12-2009, 10:19
Silver Member

Male from USA - Pennsylvania
Hollow Hippie is captain of the psychonauts.Hollow Hippie is captain of the psychonauts.Hollow Hippie is captain of the psychonauts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeDummy View Post
Nicotine is an MAOI (mono-amine oxidase inhibitior), and as such increases the effect of DXM. It isn't just swiy, a physiological reaction in the body causes nicotine to potentiate dxm.
Nicotine itself is not an MAOI, there are reversible minor MAOIs in tobacco that in addition to increasing DXM's effects also make nicotine pleasurable.

Nicotine without an MAOI would not be very addicting.
Old 17-12-2009, 23:37
Palladium Member

EscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline Medline
Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtuallyEmotionless View Post
In SWIM's experience it wore off as fast as it hit, just like Nitrous Oxide.
Exact same as swim. When on dxm, after an escape dummy takes a drag off a cig, he feels a "hit" not unlike NO2, then it very quickly leaves.

And hollow hippie, thank you for the correction. So it would be correct to say tobacco is a mild MAOI? Or rather it has mild MAOI properties?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:46

21 y/o Male from United States
pmacris123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

when me and my friends "accidentally" take too much robo we find that after the "side effects" ware off if we smoke a cig the "side effects" come back for a few minutes.
Old 02-04-2010, 18:08

24 y/o Male
joesweep is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

swim was just wondering about this, my cat pretty much only trips 3rd plateau and up and enjoys cigs as a short boost after he's peaked. also dxm was the reason my cat cut down smoking considerably a little while ago.
Old 22-04-2011, 20:54

23 y/o Male from United States
stoner9493 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1

swim thinks cigs are the best on dxm.and they taste the best on dxm as well
Old 27-03-2014, 05:45
Silver Member

53 y/o Male from United States
Confetti is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeDummy View Post
Exact same as swim. When on dxm, after an escape dummy takes a drag off a cig, he feels a "hit" not unlike NO2, then it very quickly leaves.

And hollow hippie, thank you for the correction. So it would be correct to say tobacco is a mild MAOI? Or rather it has mild MAOI properties?
Yes, Harmala alkaloids are, to my knowledge, MAOIs in tobacco.
Old 27-03-2014, 14:35
Silver Member

20 y/o Male from United States
luckydxm is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

My friend says that when he smokes a cig on 4th plateau, it's like it's not even happening. When he went to light the cig, his vision was distorted..now, when it comes to the effect, at that high of a level, the nicotine didn't really change the trip. So maybe its different for different doses.
Old 27-03-2014, 16:26
Titanium Member

Male from United States
OTC Junkie probably knows what they are talking about.OTC Junkie probably knows what they are talking about.OTC Junkie probably knows what they are talking about.OTC Junkie probably knows what they are talking about.OTC Junkie probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 550, Level: 3 Points: 550, Level: 3 Points: 550, Level: 3
Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5%

I am, (i'd say unfortunately), quite well versed on the subject of DXM and tobacco in combination, as I have done quite extensive experiments on myself with varying dosages of DXM and varying types of tobacco/nicotine.

It seems to me that anything below the 3rd plateau will have subjective effects noticeably intensified for a short while. I think this is because on the 1st and 2nd plateau, one is still able to receive and interpret physical sensation in a meaningful way, so the tobacco's effect on the body is actually factored into subjective experience.

To me it feels like combining a nicotine buzz with your DXM buzz, plain and simple. That being said, I find that when I am tripping, the unpleasant physical sensation of smoking burning plant matter is much reduced, as are the negative effects of smoking too much in one sitting, so I find I would usually take much deeper, longer inhales while tripping and I think this may account for why the nicotine is felt so powerfully. If one inhaled as deeply while NOT on DXM, they would probably cough or gag or quit smoking that cigarette, where as while on DXM, that person will finish the cigarette and might light another very shortly afterwards. It is a good combination, the DXM effects and a strong nicotine buzz, which is why I think people assume there is some sort of biochemical interaction going on, but from my reading and experience I do not believe this to be the case, at least as far as immediate intensification of the DXM effects is concerned.

I say it combines rather than potentiate because the theory behind potentiation is Monoamine Oxidase inhibition, and in order for an MAOI mechanism to be in effect, the MAOI compound needs to be in the system before the drug being enhanced. This would imply that smoking before you trip might effect it, and daily smokers do seem to experience DXM ever so slightly differently than non-smokers, but not to the same extent that many other drugs seem to be effected by MAO inhibition. I have personally tried smoked a bunch during the day before a trip, but ended up simply feeling more paranoid while on DXM, (which might constitute "stronger" effects, but not in a desirable way).

As a previous poster said, 3rd and 4th plateau trips are not likely to experience the same subjective intensification of effects, because IF someone is capable of smoking a cigarette at this point, they are likely to be so cut off from the physical sensations of their body, a nicotine buzz is just not likely to register within their subjective experience. To draw some contrast, smoking pot seems to actually biochemically interact with the DXM metabolism, making you trip much harder and if someone on the 3rd plateau smoked a joint, they would most certainly end up on the 4th plateau. If nicotine had an analogous biochemical interaction with DXM that truly made you trip harder, (i.e. if the tobacco was somehow making the same dose of DXM feel stronger), one would experience the same intensification of effects that are felt when smoking pot, but again, from what I've read and what I've experienced, this doesn't seem to be the case. It instead seems to be you are experience a tobacco buzz through the lens of a DXM trip

Another note to point out, if one smokes while tripping on the 2nd plateau, it is a good way to inadvertently increase your nicotine tolerance and increase the amount you tend to smoke while NOT tripping, because of how much more deeply one smokes each cigarette while tripping, and because of how many cigarettes one can smoke in a relatively short amount of time due to the distortions of time sense DXM can induce.

Another thing worth noting, I had a bad paranoid trip on the upper 3rd which involved smoking cigarettes, and for about a month or two afterwards, whenever I smoked a cigarette while 'sober' I would get a mild adrenal flash-back roughly approximating the original bad trip. This makes me think I was triggering the same flight or fight response that hit me when I had the bad trip with nicotine, so whether there is actually some biochemical interplay with Chronic use of both DXM and nicotine, I don't know but based on my experience i'd say it is possible. This has subsequently lead me to quit smoking cigarettes all together, and my DXM trips have been noticeably less paranoid ever since, though on the 3rd plateau I still get flashbacks sometimes.

In summation, I'd say smoking while tripping can provide some short term kicks, but based on my experience it is not advisable as an ongoing practice.
Old 28-03-2014, 05:49
Silver Member

Male from Earth
willieboosie is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1

Its different for everybody, but I can remember totally avoiding cigarettes after the first time I smoked while tripping. It would kill me high with every hit. I could literally feel myself coming down.

Once I smoked about 30 minutes after dosing and it delayed my onset for about an hour and a half, and then the dex hit me super hard out of nowhere. I've never found a report of a cigarette affecting anyone like it did me but that's my experience.
Old 28-03-2014, 06:55
Silver Member

53 y/o Male from United States
Confetti is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieboosie View Post
Its different for everybody, but I can remember totally avoiding cigarettes after the first time I smoked while tripping. It would kill me high with every hit. I could literally feel myself coming down.

Once I smoked about 30 minutes after dosing and it delayed my onset for about an hour and a half, and then the dex hit me super hard out of nowhere. I've never found a report of a cigarette affecting anyone like it did me but that's my experience.
Thanks for this post. For me, teetering between 1st and 2nd, dancy, buzzy, quite pain free, smoke tob from my pipe... a few minutes later I'm feeling straight.

I'm no pharmacologist, but I.have to wonder if nicotine cholinergic is cancelling out dxm's anticholinergic.

pardon typos crappy tablet

Share this on:

Tags
cigarette, cigarettes, dextromethorphan, dextromethorphan hbr, dextromethorphan hydrobromide, dxm, nicotine, tobacco