Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Methadone
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 10-08-2005, 23:55
Silver Member

Male
MrJenkins is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Can methadone be smoked?

Would smoking some of a 40mg methadone wafer do anything?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:21
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

dillydude is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 373, Level: 3 Points: 373, Level: 3 Points: 373, Level: 3

To the best of my knowledge, Methadone is'nt used for getting stoned with , it's used to ease the pain and suffering that comes with withdrawing off opiates.

I've had methadone for coming off Dilaudid in the I.V. using method, and could'nt get even the slightest buzz from it, the only thing I got from it was a slight nod for about 10 or 15 mins.

From myexpierance there is no euphoria or buzz of any kind from it , it just took tha craving and pain away ,along with the rest of the withdrawil symptoms.

Besides there are no known effects from smoking any kind of pills, that I've heard of.Edited by: dillydude
Old 27-09-2005, 05:20

adobe45 should review received reputation comments.

i dont know about the "wafers", but methadone tabs have purified sand in them to make it non injectable- also, snorting is painful and will result in a nosebleed. This also holds true for MS-contin morphine tabs.

I dissolved methadone tabs in cold water and ran through a coffee filter to inject my dog who was dying of lymphoma, but I wouldnt recommend tryng it personally. it did help my pooch allot- vets would not rx anything but really expensive chemo- I was just happy to see my friend up and about in high spirits until he passed.

Old 28-09-2005, 22:41

PrideKills should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
You don't want to smoke methadone, even if you have pure methadone HCL. It just wouldn't work.
Old 18-02-2007, 13:29

26 y/o Male from United States
gimmevikes should review received reputation comments.
Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%
Re: methadone question

theorectially, smoking methadone off foil (chasing the dragon) SHOULD work...but it is a huuuge waste.

swim smoked a tiny piece of a 10 mg pill, and got a very very tiny rush when inhaled. not worth it at all. orally is the way to go.
Old 04-07-2008, 18:56

27 y/o Male
Wilsonac2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

a little research

Effects of methadone on human cigarette smoking and subjective ratings

LD Chait and RR Griffiths

In order to study possible interactions between opioids and cigarette smoking, we examined the effects of oral methadone administration on the smoking behavior of five male methadone-maintenance patients. Isolated subjects smoked their regular brand of cigarettes ad libitum in a naturalistic laboratory environment while reading or watching television. Ninety minutes before each daily 2-hr smoking session subjects received either placebo, dextromethorphan (a taste blind) or one of three doses of methadone, 0.5, 1.0 or 2.0 times their regular maintenance dose (40-60 mg). Each subject received each treatment five times, in a mixed order across days. Methadone pretreatment resulted in a dose-related increase in the number of cigarettes smoked per session (from a mean of 2.8 after placebo to 5.6 after the high dose of methadone). The total time spent puffing during the session increased from a mean of 27 sec after placebo to 74 sec after the high dose of methadone. CO levels in expired air (a measure of actual smoke inhalation) showed corresponding dose-related increases. Methadone administration also resulted in dose-related decreases in pupil diameter and increases in subjective ratings of smoking satisfaction and dose-strength. Dextromethorphan had no significant effects on any measure of smoking behavior or subjective response. The results demonstrate that methadone can produce substantial increases in cigarette smoking and may have implications regarding the proposed role of endogenous opioids in the smoking process. Volume 229, Issue 3, pp. 636-640, 06/01/1984
Copyright © 1984 by American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics

a friend of mine called me up to say he just tried methadone in cigarette form after reading this, and was happy with the result.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Interesting find.
Old 27-09-2012, 04:18

26 y/o Male from United States
Coneball is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonac2 View Post

In order to study possible interactions between opioids and cigarette smoking, we examined the effects of oral methadone administration on the smoking behavior of five male methadone-maintenance patients. Isolated subjects smoked their regular brand of cigarettes ad libitum in a naturalistic laboratory environment while reading or watching television. Ninety minutes before each daily 2-hr smoking session subjects received either placebo, dextromethorphan (a taste blind) or one of three doses of methadone, 0.5, 1.0 or 2.0 times their regular maintenance dose (40-60 mg). Each subject received each treatment five times, in a mixed order across days. Methadone pretreatment resulted in a dose-related increase in the number of cigarettes smoked per session (from a mean of 2.8 after placebo to 5.6 after the high dose of methadone). The total time spent puffing during the session increased from a mean of 27 sec after placebo to 74 sec after the high dose of methadone. CO levels in expired air (a measure of actual smoke inhalation) showed corresponding dose-related increases. Methadone administration also resulted in dose-related decreases in pupil diameter and increases in subjective ratings of smoking satisfaction and dose-strength. Dextromethorphan had no significant effects on any measure of smoking behavior or subjective response. The results demonstrate that methadone can produce substantial increases in cigarette smoking and may have implications regarding the proposed role of endogenous opioids in the smoking process.
My reading of this is not that they were given methadone-laced cigarettes. Rather, they were pre-treated either with methadone, DXM, or a placebo. Then, the study looked at whether they smoked more cigarettes under the influence of these substances. It found that people smoked more after having methadone administered to them orally.

Just thought I'd note this as this is the first thread that comes up after googling information on the smokability of methadone. This study has no bearing on whether or not one can smoke methadone; all it indicates is that people smoke more cigarettes after having methadone administered orally.
Old 05-10-2012, 19:44
Titanium Member

36 y/o Male from Earth
&rew is on the way up&rew is on the way up&rew is on the way up
Re: Can methadone be smoked?

SWIM tried to smoke 150mg methadone freebase from foil that should give him a good hit. But smoke was too caustic and he just can't inhale it. Not sure if it decomposed or just methadone too caustic (and it is caustic in high concentration). In case one could reach crystal methadone.HCl, smoke it is the last thing that could come on his mind.
Old 31-01-2013, 01:35

Male from United States
gncssm77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

methadone has such a high bioavailability orally that there really is no need to smoke it.
Old 31-01-2013, 01:53
R.I.P.

Male from USA - Ohio
mr sic is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1
Activity: 24.8% Activity: 24.8% Activity: 24.8%

you can smoke your own toenails if you wish to. That doesn't mean it will have any positive effects in your life. Let alone that it will get you high.
Old 13-02-2013, 17:37
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from United Kingdom
DCEE is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 132, Level: 1 Points: 132, Level: 1 Points: 132, Level: 1

I believe it is pointless to smoke methadone just taking it as prescribed as an high bio-availability either way it is a life saver for addicts not a drug to be abused. It is a drug if used correctly could save your life. But I guess everybody learns from experiencing things that is the way we gain knowledge but reading posts on this forum I personally would not smoke methadone it just seems like a no win situation and a waste. Good luck mate. Thanks, David,

Share this on:

Tags
chase the dragon, chasing the dragon, cigarettes, drugs-forum, hydrochloride, injecting, injecting methadone, iv methadone, meth pipe, methadone, methadone hydrochloride, methadone syrup, methadone treatment, shoot up, smoking methadone, smoking or snorting, snorting, snorting drugs, vaporizing, xanax