Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 21-11-2009, 21:38
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
jloops is captain of the psychonauts.jloops is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 219, Level: 2 Points: 219, Level: 2 Points: 219, Level: 2
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
get off methadone by switching to a short-acting opiate and tapering that

Anyone who has any experience switching from methadone to something else, esp. a traditional short-acting opiate, please let swim know how it went. SWIM is thinking about using a detox that switches you to a hydrocodone(ish) drug and then (blind) tapers you off that for 3 weeks, which should be relatively painless for coming off of something like 20 mg methadone, right?

Anyone ever tried switching from methadone to hydrocodone or, for you guys in England, Canada, and apparently many other countries, from methadone to dihydrocodeine for taper? (Or to heroin in some sort of reasonably controlled way? I'm imagining this ended in a C/T rather than a taper!) If you switched, what dose did you switch at and how much of the new drug did you take at first?

SWIM has tapered methadone down to 30 mg (and hopes to get to at least 20 before going to a detox) from 80 mg, and is looking at this detox place that switches you onto something like hydrocodone/dihydrocodeine or even oxycodone possibly, and tapers you off over 3 weeks...

They don't give you Vicodin or anything, they give you very high doses of the ([di]hydro/oxy)co(done/deine) in a liquid cocktail with some other meds, every 4 hours (including in the middle of the night).

Anyways, it ain't bupe, and it's a weaker opiate than methadone.

Basically, who out there has switched to a short-acting opiate and had success getting off the methadone in that way?

SWIM is thinking that it would circumvent much of the BS associated with getting off of a long acting opiate... In 21 days, the worst of the symptoms associated with getting methadone out of the body would have passed, and you'd just be dealing with a short-acting opiate withdrawal when you get to the end of the taper... They said that on the last day, you're taking almost nothing, so when you walk out you're probably taking something like 4 mg of hydrocodone per day, a single vicodin per day, which is basically nothing... swim will request that they get him down to 0 3-4 days before leaving, though, so as to avoid any nasty surprises.

Any thoughts on this? This seems like the best plan swim has heard for getting off of methadone... Bupe induction seems like a real pain and swim can't see how that would work better than this plan, especially since bupe is still throwing the long half-life curve ball at you...

Last edited by jloops; 21-11-2009 at 23:37.
Old 21-11-2009, 23:11
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
Helene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline Medline
Points: 4,235, Level: 9 Points: 4,235, Level: 9 Points: 4,235, Level: 9
Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7%
Re: get off methadone by switching to a short-acting opiate and tapering that

Swim has never tried this herself, but it's a relatively common method used in the UK for doing that very last bit of a methadone reduction taper. Drug services often prescribe dihydrocodeine (DF118's) for this very purpose.

Obviously, for maintenance purposes DF118's aren't really suitable, as they are so short acting. But for finishing off that final bit of your taper, swim agrees that this is a very good idea. When you get down to methadone doses of 5mg or less, switching over to a short acting opiate such as dihydrocodeine really is an option worth considering. Swim knows some people who have successfully gotten clean using this method, and they have reported it to be much easier than coming straight off the methadone.

Anyone in such a situation should have a chat with their prescribing physician, if they feel that something like this could aid their detox plans.

H

PS - Swim should just point out that hydrocodone and oxycodone are very different from dihydrocodeine. Both hydrocodone and oxycodone are considerably stronger than dihydrocodeine (roughly 10 and 20 times stonger respectively, depending on which conversion table you look at), and swim believes that they have slightly longer half-lives as well. Dihydrocodeine really isn't comparable with either of them. Swim's above post refers to using dihydrocodeine for the reasons described, she would like to make it clear that she does not think this would be a good idea with either hydrocodone or oxycodone, they both hold far too high an abuse potential and have far too strong a narcotic effect. Especially considering the person is gonna have a very reduced tolerance, as it's likely that they will have reduced their meth down to levels lower than they have been on for a good while. And if one of these drugs were the patients original DOC, well, in swim's opinion a step in that direction would be completely counter-productive. Nor is swim aware of either of these drugs being commonly prescribed for detox purposes.

Last edited by Helene; 22-11-2009 at 00:31. Reason: Adding post script
Old 21-11-2009, 23:32
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom

Yes, swim knows there is a good deal of difference between dihydrocodeine and hydrocodone and oxycodone (and even between hydro and oxycodone).

However, this is how this detox facility does it for methadone, and apparently with some success. (swim thinks they also use hydrocodone or whatever for short-acting opiates and suboxone [i.e., people who can't quit the suboxone] as well.)

Hydrocodone has to be a significant step down from methadone, of course... easier to come off...

Why wouldn't it be a good idea for that, Helene? This is done in a detox and everything, why would that be a bad idea? It can't be any worse than a methadone taper! (This is one of the few detox places that will take people on mammoth doses of methadone, 100+, 200+, etc.)

BTW, swim wishes he could get to 5 mg on his own, but doesn't know if it'll be possible, and probably will be going to a detox somewhere between 10-20 mg, right now on 30 mg.

This has to be better than trying to get straight off the methadone, and easier than using bupe since there's no need for induction ... right?
Old 23-11-2009, 04:03
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

25 y/o Male from United States
LiquidHandcuffs is captain of the psychonauts.LiquidHandcuffs is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 239, Level: 2 Points: 239, Level: 2 Points: 239, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Perhaps Swim missed something along the way, but he has been under the impression for quite some time that Methadone is primarily used as a substitute for short-acting opiates, and that those who are unable to quit the short-acting opiates are placed on MMT in order to help them straighten their problem(s) out.

In Swim's personal opinion, he thinks that Swiy would be making a mistake if he abandoned MMT to detox with a shorter-acting opiate (though he is not certain).

Swim is finding CT off 65mgs of Meth to be a(n) (much) easier kick than his 80mg/day/1 year OC habit.

This is because Swim has easily been able to overcome any physical withdrawal he has experienced in his short life, but has not been able to overcome the Psychological/Physiological withdrawal dynamic as the cravings always proved a bit too much for Swim to handle.

Perhaps Swiy feels more confident in combating the Psychological/Physiological Withdrawals than he does the Physical Withdrawal?
Old 23-11-2009, 04:26
Palladium Member

Male from Japan
Spucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline MedlineSpucky must mainline Medline
Points: 4,534, Level: 9 Points: 4,534, Level: 9 Points: 4,534, Level: 9
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
AW: get off methadone by switching to a short-acting opiate and tapering that

We can say that "Short-Acting Opioids" rise the Tolerance quicker
as well as that they create a more intensive Addiction!

A Withdrawal from short acting Opioids will be earlier finished
but harder to quit.

The Cat think that a long acting Opioid will be much more successful.
Old 23-11-2009, 05:01
Silver Member

45 y/o Male from United States
alaskazagnut is a decent psychonaut.alaskazagnut is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 164, Level: 2 Points: 164, Level: 2 Points: 164, Level: 2

The only thing that worked for my friend was crystal meth. She said she felt no restless leg syndrome, the insomnia was actually being high and she was not ill, flu-like or achy. Amazing. I think crystal meth totally hi-jacked her brain and it binds to every possible receptor the brain has. Of course crystal meth has a whole separate addiction and negative side effect issues, but it is mostly psychological unless SWIY keeps using it for months on end.

She will never to go back to methadone unless it is to ween off of H or Oxy. Methadone withdrawals are the worst she had ever felt. One time she went cold turkey for 4 days and she said she could understand suicide due to the sheer hell and agony. Scary. She said, for her, all the true opiate withdrawals started to get better after the 3rd day. With methadone, she said, the 3rd and 4th days were increasingly worse. Especially when trying to sleep.

Has anyone on this board ever heard of anyone being on methadone for over 6 months and successfully going cold turkey?

AMENDMENT by alaskazagnut

My statyement "I think crystal meth totally hi-jacked her brain and it binds to every possible receptor the brain has." is obviously an exaggeration of what happened chemically in her brain. Statements like that either have no place here, or they need to be quantified fro what they are. Attempts at light hearted humor.
Although "for her" the only thing that worked was crystal meth, that is unfortunate and she did not try weening or other medically approved treatment options. She tried for years to quit methadone both by weening and cold turkey. She went cold turkey and had virtually no withdrawal symptoms except psychologically missing the high and physical insomnia. I do not "know" why crystal meth alleviated all her withdrawal symptoms. But to get off of methadone in 8 days cold turkey with only meth used every other day is amazing. It worked. Unfortunately my laymans terms, and only personal experience, the only way this could happen is if some aspect of the crystal meth affects the opioid receptors. I have searched and I cannot find any proof that it doesn't. But I have found other posts on this forum supporting this phenomenon. Period.

Kratom does, so why can't crystal meth. I do not "claim" this as fact to be the case, only that "for her" this is what seemed to happen.

I realize crew forum need to demand as accurate information as possible but I am not a PHD in chemistry or medicine. I speak frankly and truthfully about personal experience. I apologize if sometimes it is misleading. If someone told me three years ago that you could go cold turkey from methadone with crystal meth, I would say they were misleading too. But I now would have to agree with them. Sorry opiate FC or whoever gave me neg, rep but it might seem misleading but it is the honest truth in my experience. They still don't know exactly why mescaline causes hallucinations so maybe current knowledge can be misleading too about what affects the brains receptors and what doesn't.

Post Quality Evaluations:
I highly doubt that Methamphetamine binds to "every receptor the brain has"
Please don't post misleading information her. Methamphetamine binds to dopamine receptors and does not have affinity to opiate receptors. Get you facts straight!

Last edited by alaskazagnut; 30-11-2009 at 03:09. Reason: Amended
Old 23-11-2009, 05:23
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidHandcuffs View Post
Perhaps Swim missed something along the way, but he has been under the impression for quite some time that Methadone is primarily used as a substitute for short-acting opiates, and that those who are unable to quit the short-acting opiates are placed on MMT in order to help them straighten their problem(s) out.
Yeah, swim has definitely taken enough methadone for enough years to straighten everything out and hasn't used any other drugs during this long period.
Quote:
Perhaps Swiy feels more confident in combating the Psychological/Physiological Withdrawals than he does the Physical Withdrawal?
Definitely... at least inasmuch as swim is not fond of illicit opiate use, and was able to handle licit opiate use quite well, and would at least not 'relapse' to illicit use...

SWIM is definitely committed, BTW. Already done 80-30 mg, which is something, in a short period of time. (Dropped it in something like 10 days, but then got mixed around trying to switch to buprenorphine and ended up being at 30 1.5 months since the drops started.)

SWIM should be clear that he was talking about a short-acting opioid taper as an INPATIENT -- i.e., at a detox! SWIM didn't mention that key fact earlier, apparently!
Old 24-11-2009, 01:15
Silver Member

45 y/o Male from United States
alaskazagnut is a decent psychonaut.alaskazagnut is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 164, Level: 2 Points: 164, Level: 2 Points: 164, Level: 2

I agree, I highly doubt that methamphetamine binds to "every" receptor in the brain, I do not claim that. But I "think" it does or more proper wording I should have used is "seems" like it when my friend is high. It definitely gets rid of all (for her) her opiate withdrawal. Methamphetamine is not an opiate but it seems that in part, it binds to her opiate receptors. Proper wording, avoiding generalizations, and not assuming basic information is shared by all is important on this forum, which I am learning.

Thanks for noting my misleading over-generalization or exaggeration on my point. I also do not recommend doing this. I am just stating the experience.

well done for accepting the rep, & amended your point on the thread.kudos
gracious acceptance of neg rep and making it into a positive contribution--good post!!

Last edited by alaskazagnut; 24-11-2009 at 01:20. Reason: clarity
Old 24-11-2009, 01:42
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

25 y/o Male from United States
LiquidHandcuffs is captain of the psychonauts.LiquidHandcuffs is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 239, Level: 2 Points: 239, Level: 2 Points: 239, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloops View Post
Yeah, swim has definitely taken enough methadone for enough years to straighten everything out and hasn't used any other drugs during this long period.

Definitely... at least inasmuch as swim is not fond of illicit opiate use, and was able to handle licit opiate use quite well, and would at least not 'relapse' to illicit use...

SWIM is definitely committed, BTW. Already done 80-30 mg, which is something, in a short period of time. (Dropped it in something like 10 days, but then got mixed around trying to switch to buprenorphine and ended up being at 30 1.5 months since the drops started.)

SWIM should be clear that he was talking about a short-acting opioid taper as an INPATIENT -- i.e., at a detox! SWIM didn't mention that key fact earlier, apparently!
Ahhhhh! much better clarity!

First, congratulate Swiy on his 50mg dose decrease on behalf of Swim! Swiy has successfully (and rather quickly!) reached a point where he is dosing only 37.5% of his original dose of 80mg! Awesome progress!

As far as the Inpatient short-acting Opiate Taper, Swim now sees this as a more viable option for Swiy!

Swim can never be too confident with the idea of trusting "one of his own" to be scrupulous in managing his/her own taper. <--Swim certainly thinks he would struggle mightily!
Old 24-11-2009, 03:20
Silver Member

Male from United States
sasafrass is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 72, Level: 1 Points: 72, Level: 1 Points: 72, Level: 1

Methamphetamine was used in California for opiate w/d's in 1960's. It did work. Nobody knows how, as there was no follow up. Bad press killed it.
Methadone's much weaker chemical cousin darvon, if you get down far enough, will keep you sane if taken every 3-4 hours. Its pretty rare to become dependent on it, or it work very well either. But it helps.

any source?
Old 24-11-2009, 06:10
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasafrass View Post
Methamphetamine was used in California for opiate w/d's in 1960's. It did work. Nobody knows how, as there was no follow up. Bad press killed it.
Methadone's much weaker chemical cousin darvon, if you get down far enough, will keep you sane if taken every 3-4 hours. Its pretty rare to become dependent on it, or it work very well either. But it helps.
SWIM bets that methamphetamine worked for people who were in very mild withdrawal (which is more like some of what is called PAWS) or who were in PAWS already... That is, it cured the fatigue and feeling of weakness.

Being on methamphetamine during acute, moderate to severe withdrawal would be ugly though -- you don't want to be crapping and vomiting your shaking, goosepimpled a** off while of speed!

Also, SWIM thought Darvon would be useful since it's related chemically, but no one seems to use Darvon for withdrawal at a detox facility, although you could definitely get a doctor for it...

Thanks for the supportive words and info, everybody. Swim would really love to hear anyone who has made a similar switch, in any context, but especially for detox.
Old 24-11-2009, 13:53
Banned

39 y/o Male from Portugal
Ethyl is a decent psychonaut.Ethyl is a decent psychonaut.

You can use codeine as a substitute.

SWIY says it uses 30mgs of methadone per day. That is easily replaced by 300mgs of codeine 3 times daily.

So SWIY can swicth to 300mg x3 of codeine and then start the taper from there.
But SWIY should use codeine in 300mgs x3 for a week or two before he starts the tapering, after that time SWIY can start the codeine tapering but first make sure SWIY have cleaned your self from the methadone so that way all possible methadone withdraw will be gone before SWIY starts the tapering.

SWIM says codeine because its easy available in Canada.

NOTE: Oral codeine is 10 times less potent than oral methadone, so thats why 300mgs of codeine substitutes 30mgs of methadone.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ethyl; 24-11-2009 at 14:41.
Old 24-11-2009, 14:15
Titanium Member

43 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Piglet really adds to the discussion.Piglet really adds to the discussion.Piglet really adds to the discussion.Piglet really adds to the discussion.Piglet really adds to the discussion.Piglet really adds to the discussion.
Points: 517, Level: 3 Points: 517, Level: 3 Points: 517, Level: 3

Most people find that codeine doesn't prevent withdrawal too well. That's why in the UK doctors will usually prescribe dihydrocodeine at the end of a methadone taper. It isn't much stronger than codeine but it is longer acting (6 hours as apposed to 4 for codeine) and although their IS a ceiling dose, it's somewhat higher than that of codeine.
Old 24-11-2009, 14:29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Most people find that codeine doesn't prevent withdrawal too well. That's why in the UK doctors will usually prescribe dihydrocodeine at the end of a methadone taper. It isn't much stronger than codeine but it is longer acting (6 hours as apposed to 4 for codeine) and although their IS a ceiling dose, it's somewhat higher than that of codeine.
Most people convert codeine to morphine in 10% of the codeine ingested.
Morphine is a full mu agonist that will prevent withdraw in all people.

Only a small percentage of people don't convert codeine into morphine that well, but i think its only 6% of the Caucasian population (the common population in Canada), in Asia the % of people that convert codeine to morphine with greater difficulty is more than 10% but far lesser than "most people" as you say..

I think you were trying to say that most people dont get high from codeine when they have previous tolerance to opiates, but as far as withdraw for most people codeine is indeed a great withdraw preventer, but if you are talking about getting high from codeine thats different, but as far as withdraw prevention 90% of the Caucasian population have great success with it because they will convert 10% of the codeine ingested to morphine and other metabolites too, like 1% of the codeine ingested is converted to hydromorphone (dilaudid) and others.

Codeine isn't prescribed in doses above 60mgs in the medical community, but that doesnt mean it can't be used in doses above 60mgs, as most recreational users know the average ceiling is about 400mgs of codeine BASE for the average male user, and that's above the dose needed to substitute for 30mgs of methadone. 400mgs of codeine would substitute for 40mgs of oral methadone, the user only needs 300mgs cause he is only using 30mgs of methadone.

EDIT: CORRECTION: Its not 10% of the population but 6%!

Last edited by Ethyl; 24-11-2009 at 16:39.
Old 24-11-2009, 21:33
Silver Member

61 y/o Male from United States
Breedlove is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 372, Level: 3 Points: 372, Level: 3 Points: 372, Level: 3

The bonehead used heroin to get off methadone the first 4 times he kicked that dreadful shit. Bone doesn't think codeine, or hydrocodone, or percocette are gonna do shit to you. Methadone is some pretty lethal shit. The method is not for the faint of heart though... Ya' gotta be pretty goddamn committed. Hmmm... not sure whether this good advice. But, if any method works for you, use it. Getting off methadone is a good thing, no matter how you do it. The bone is not a big fan of methadone!

Breedlove
Old 25-11-2009, 01:45
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
The bonehead used heroin to get off methadone the first 4 times he kicked that dreadful shit. Bone doesn't think codeine, or hydrocodone, or percocette are gonna do shit to you. Methadone is some pretty lethal shit. The method is not for the faint of heart though... Ya' gotta be pretty goddamn committed. Hmmm... not sure whether this good advice. But, if any method works for you, use it. Getting off methadone is a good thing, no matter how you do it. The bone is not a big fan of methadone!

Breedlove
Swim can tell.

How much dope did you need to stay well and off of what dose of methadone did you jump?
Old 25-11-2009, 11:28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post

Breedlove
Some who isn't Ethyl used 400mgs 3 times daily instead of his daily 40mgs of methadone one day that he was far away from home and didn't had taken his methadone with him.
It worked like a charm! In fact he even felt a small euphoria.
Dont know about hydrocodone or oxycodone, but morphine is a full mu agonist that will prevent withdraw for all opiate addictions, and because codeine converts to morphine then it works if the methadone daily dose is equal or bellow than 40mgs.
The exception is if swiy are one of 6% of people that don't convert codeine to morphine that well but if swiy aren't then about 10% of swiy's codeine will convert to morphine and 1% of the codeine will convert to the even stronger hydromorphone (dilaudid).

Codeine may not get a tolerant people high due to the slow conversion to morphine inside taking time... But one thing that will do is prevent withdrawal.

If the dose of methadone is above 40mgs then codeine will not cover all withdraw symptoms cause it has a ceiling of 400mgs in most people, and thats only equivalent to 40mgs morphine IM.

Last edited by Ethyl; 25-11-2009 at 11:34.

Share this on:

Tags
methadone alternatives, methadone comparison, opiate addiction treatment, opiate taper

» New Threads
Mixing Adderall with Wellbutrin
Last post by Randyc44
2 Replies, 84 Views
Oxycontin Addiction: dancing with...
Last post by FishHead35
1 Replies, 2 Views
IV doses... minimum amount,...
Last post by polydoc
0 Replies, 1 Views
Today I Legally Purchased Cannabis...
Last post by chibi curmudgeon