Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Amphetamine > Concerta & Ritalin
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Concerta & Ritalin About Methylphenidate.

Old 14-11-2009, 07:57
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

26 y/o Female from Canada
emersonthecat should review received reputation comments.
Points: 104, Level: 1 Points: 104, Level: 1 Points: 104, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Ritalin & seroquel

My kitty was just wondering, since she knows it's never good to mix uppers and downers... is it safe to take syroquel while high on ritalin? She often takes syroquel to fall asleep when she starts coming down, but if she were to take it while not fully coming down, would it be unsafe? She tried googling, erowid, etc but couldn't find exactly what she needed. Thanks!
Old 20-11-2009, 23:58

25 y/o Male from Canada
Beefy is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Re: Ritalin & syroquel

Seroquel is a dopamine antagonist, ritalin is a dopamine agonist, they're essentially opposites and would cancel out each others effects. I don't have any experience with anti-psychotics but as far as I can see all it would do is shorten the effects of the ritalin, nothing bad would happen though.
Old 26-11-2009, 16:28

Male
E-man is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

SWIM is currently hospitalizes in a mental institute probably many countries away from SWIY and is regularly taking seroquel and concerta which is almost the same as ritalin on a daily basis. he gets alot of head aches and other side effects from the concerta and is happy to take seroquel to deal with these. one can argue though that mixing the two cancels out the effect but SWIM disagrees since he feels that seroquel effects the feeling, attitude and/or perception of things. and concerta/ritalin gives a boost and energy (also attitude) and focas. SWIM does agree that some things do get canceled out but there is still enough to feel a good combination of the two. SWIM feels that the tension of concerta and ritalin is cancled out by seroquel which SWIM feels is a good thing. SWIM feels that the combination of the two results in a comfortable boost of the two like amphetamin and alcohol. SWIM understands though that everyone is different and many of SWIMs friends also say that the two cancle out each other. SWIM recomends that SWIY tries it but if SWIY is satisfied with ritalins effects alone SWIM feels it is a waste of the two to mix.
Old 26-11-2009, 21:53

26 y/o Female from United States
Princess is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 143, Level: 1 Points: 143, Level: 1 Points: 143, Level: 1

Years ago, when SWIM was on cocktails of psychotropic meds, Concerta, Klonopin, Seroquel, Effexor, Lamictal, Dexedrine were one of the cocktails prescribed. It was physically safe. Concerta is an extended release of Ritalin. Seroquel seems to be a much weaker antipsychotic. Risperdal canceled out the stimulant affects, but Seroquel doesn't.
Old 27-11-2009, 18:38
Mercury Member

23 y/o Male from USA - Texas
frasorto needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emersonthecat View Post
my kitty was just wondering, since she knows it's never good to mix uppers and downers... Is it safe to take syroquel while high on ritalin? She often takes syroquel to fall asleep when she starts coming down, but if she were to take it while not fully coming down, would it be unsafe? She tried googling, erowid, etc but couldn't find exactly what she needed. Thanks!
if you do it for a long time heart problems will come.and seroquil is pretty ppointless it makes you agresive .you should try ambien

Post Quality Evaluations:
That's a huge statement to make without further explanation. Why would this combination result in heart problems?
Old 28-12-2009, 17:44

Male
E-man is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasorto View Post
if you do it for a long time heart problems will come.and seroquil is pretty ppointless it makes you agresive .you should try ambien
your not very smart are you?
Old 05-04-2011, 15:40

34 y/o Male from Germany
denberto should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1

Just to let you know guys:
Combining cocaine with seroquel is known as Q-ball.
Same would go more or less for the ritalin+sero, I guess....
Old 08-04-2011, 23:53
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Veksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way up
Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3

First off, this combination should not be oversimplified into just uppers and downers. One is a psychostimulant (methylphenidate) and the other is an anti-psychotic (quetiapine) with heavily sedative effects. Nevertheless, the combination is safe, to a relative degree. Some doctors prescribe both medications side by side for certain patients (such as E-man stated in someone elses experience).

It should be safe to take quetiapine at the same time as methylphenidate, though it is not recommended unless the quetiapine is either a low dose or extended release. The quetiapine will most likely eliminate most if not all therapeutic effects of the methylphenidate because of its action on dopamine and such in the brain. The reason I say that this is a relatively safe interaction is primarily that quetiapine by itself can have many adverse effects (weight gain, lethargy, other health effects related to diabetes) and that methylphenidate itself can put a lot of stress on the cardiovascular system.

thankl you for setting the record straight in a thread full of idiocy
Some good points but there was no need to call previous posts unintelligent.

Last edited by Veksul; 24-05-2011 at 19:28. Reason: Edited out unnecessary harsh remarks~
Old 12-04-2011, 15:05

34 y/o Male from Germany
denberto should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1

Is it safe to say thats its better not using it at the same time, but better when coming down from mph, then take some seroquel?
Old 12-04-2011, 20:13
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Veksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way upVeksul is on the way up
Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3 Points: 408, Level: 3

Unless directed by a doctor that the quetiapine should be taken with methylphenidate during the day, the quetiapine would best be used in the evening, or when the effects of methylphenidate wear off. Quetiapine is a very sedative drug and can knock a person out who is not used to its effects. People who drive cars, operate machinery, or do anything physical (that requires a sufficient level of alertness / concentration) during the day should be very careful and aware of quetiapines side effects. I am serious; I am not just trying to read off a 'common' warning label, I am informing anyone who may be completely uneducated about this drug that it can be very intoxicating and cause severe motor impairment.

But I digress. From what I see, there are two important questions to ask anyone who is wondering about using this combination:

(1) Exactly what is the quetiapine being used to treat? Is it to treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, acute manic/depressive bipolar episodes, PTSD, psychosis, or perhaps just insomnia? Or is it for something not listed? (Side note; insomnia is considered an off label use and is strongly looked down upon due to quetiapine's side effects and health risks.)

(2) What is the dose and type of quetiapine being used on a daily basis? The daily dosage for quetiapine can range from 25 mg to upwards of 800 mg. Also, it can be delivered in either an instant release or an extended release formulation. So ask yourself what the dose is, and if it is XR or IR.

If the quetiapine is used primarily for it's anti-psychotic properties, then a person may find it necessary (if not already directed by a doctor) to take a small dosage in the daytime with their methylphenidate. The reason for this is that quetiapine has about a 6 hour half life; meaning that if it is taken, say, only once at night, by afternoon the next day the drug would almost be completely out of their system, thus having no therapeutic effect. Not good for someone trying to treat psychotic symptoms. The dose taken during the day, that I would recommend, should be extended release (XR), and the dose taken in the evening, that I would recommend, should be instant release (IR). Also, the evening dose may be slightly higher than the daytime dose as to help with sleep.

If the quetiapine is used primarily for long term depression, PTSD, or insomnia, a person may get by just fine without taking a dose during the day if also on methylphenidate. It all really comes down to the question of why the quetiapine is being used, and how the person feels during the day with or without taking it.

Quote:
Is it safe to say thats its better not using it at the same time, but better when coming down from mph, then take some seroquel?
It is safe to take both medications together, and it is safe to take quetiapine when coming down from methylphenidate. However, is it safety one is worried about, or is it just what way is better?

Excellent presentation of information, although I would avoid the notion of recommending drugs or dosages.

Last edited by Veksul; 12-04-2011 at 20:19.
Old 16-04-2011, 03:35
Cocaine / MDMA / Wiki
Co-Moderator

50 y/o Male from Earth
Wanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,585, Level: 11 Points: 6,585, Level: 11 Points: 6,585, Level: 11
Activity: 8.3% Activity: 8.3% Activity: 8.3%

Mr. Hamster was reading this and he thought these are some very important points to bear in mind, so he felt it right to second what SWIVeksul wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veksul View Post
(1) Exactly what is the quetiapine being used to treat? Is it to treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, acute manic/depressive bipolar episodes, PTSD, psychosis, or perhaps just insomnia? Or is it for something not listed? (Side note; insomnia is considered an off label use and is strongly looked down upon due to quetiapine's side effects and health risks.)

(2) What is the dose and type of quetiapine being used on a daily basis? The daily dosage for quetiapine can range from 25 mg to upwards of 800 mg. Also, it can be delivered in either an instant release or an extended release formulation. So ask yourself what the dose is, and if it is XR or IR.
The hamster was once given Seroquel for sleep, but the side-effects were nasty. Luckily he was able to get the doctor to change the prescription. He wants no part of Seroquel, thank you very much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veksul View Post
It is safe to take both medications together, and it is safe to take quetiapine when coming down from methylphenidate. However, is it safety one is worried about, or is it just what way is better?
This is really the central question isn't it? Mr. Hamster would avoid mixing these two and could go into a whole litany of reasons why the combo should be avoided, but will refrain.

That's not to say the combination cannot be used therapeutically when given under the care of a proper health care critter.

Be well...
Old 21-04-2011, 04:59
Silver Member

Male from United States
ratatata is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

alright, my cat wrote a huge long post but he'll start over after rereading this. and write another. oh, the wonders of methylphenidate. makes him a chatty little fucker. he's sorry. this is an issue that has effected him before and reading over this post he might have gone a little bit overboard but he hopes one of you cats is baked/stimmed/drunk enough to read all of this and if your cat doesn't already understand these principles, takes them to heart.

he has known a cat who has taken this combo TOGETHER and…. in spirit. he knew a big ass panther with rage issues. black out rage. throwing tables and shit. just literally screaming and throwing tables. shit was fucked up. he picked up a fridge once. he also loved cocaine; bad combo. he was on risperidone for his rage. he abused it on occasion. the risperidone. my cat never got it. now cocaine is fun as hell. that is undeniable. he took, in a depressed haze one of his friends risperidone once and it was the least pleasurable drug experience he has had outside of bad trips and over dosing and the like. he called his girlfriend at the time and just almost cryingly told her he couldn't think and he didn't know what to do because he couldn't think that far ahead. beyond him how thats 'recreational,' but he supposes cats also eat benadryl by the handful, so…

anyways.

so this cat sniffed cocaine and took risperidone. which are basically, as some cat who has taken all 4, the big brothers of each other, to mph and seroquel. obviously not literally but bear with my cat. its like 'what could happen.' your cat could go that far. both of these drugs are weaker but they both do do KINDA the same thing (my cat… thinks… he knows very little about antipsychotics. nasty little shits! bleh! but he thinks the mechanism is similar, yes?) essentially just to different degrees

taking a prescribed dosage of seroquel after taking a prescribed dosage of mph is probably fine to fall asleep, especially if a vet is giving it to you for your cat. my cat might suggest trying ambien instead if this is for sleep, it tends to have less side effects and work great and actually DOES have some recreational value (and the danger my cat'll talk about later as well) but thats besides the point. they get a lot of hate from drug users but those fuckers go to college for a long time, and read a lot of books. this is their job. giving fun drugs to cats and making them normal. they make a lot of money doing it because its a lot harder than a lot of cats, my own included considers. and a lot of them ARE actually very intelligent, are ACTUALLY very good at their jobs, and know a HELL OF A LOT MORE then internet message boards full of cats on drugs piecing together wikipedia information and stuff they heard from a cat in highschool or college as fact.

my cats sorry, its a topic that bothers him and he needed to get that off his chest. some doctors and vets are AWFUL, yes, but for the most part they're pretty smart and if you have a good relationship whatsoever with your vet (my cat goes to a therapist and a psychiatrist. he would never tell his psychiatrist about his drug use but he is entirely honest about his drug use with his therapist. if you have a good one that should be okay to do). you should be honest with what your cat has been doing, even if it is illegal, to try and make sure its safe. some vets will take away a prescription if they hear its abused by calling the vet giving it. others will warn and give serious logical HONEST advice. my cat would suggest this if it is not given to your cat by a pharmacy

now if your cat is rocking this shit solo and is just doing guess work, my cat says no. bad idea. now, physically, he can think of no reason taking one after another is a bad idea. even together. the danger in together is what he has seen in his panther friend snorting gram lines of cocaine and popping risperidone at the same time. fucking insanity mixed with a complete inability to process anything and swaying and shaking and punching and falling all at once. imagine being this fuckers friend. and a complete lack of awareness about the drugs he was taking or how many he was taking and our cats ended up having to take him to the hospital. this cat weighed like 300 fucking pounds and was like 6 foot 2. it was horrible. at the end he just passed out and didn't move besides twitching violently when we made big turns to the vet. he was okay, he slept it off, in the end. but thats not the point. if his friends werent there, what could have happened? he could have EASILY hurt himself or od'd. and likely would have that time.

my cat mixes uppers and downers every day. inherently the danger, outside of drug interactions and the like, is essentially losing control over your cats dosing and over doing it. taking something like an antipsychotic, which is disorienting as fuck, at the same time as a stimulant, like mph, would very likely, in my cats mind, at least once if not at low doses and very careful not to, lead to a binge, whether it be accidental or just a balancing act, and he has seen that situation turn VERY ugly. physically he doesn't know how it might be dangerous except for the long term side effects of abuse or even just use of each substance.

now, for a personal anecdote. my cat is very stimulated and passionate. and wants to write. cut him some slack.he's as afraid of drugs as a dare officer and has been on one for years now, and has learned to respect them. don't fuck around unless you've researched for your cat, and if you must, at least try and ask someone in the know (which, my cat is pleased you did by coming here, even if it is a forum on the internet with very little legit information (but the legit is very good and interesting conversation!)), and he hopes your cat isn't experimenting too heavily with this.

my cat had a long anecdote about the one time he, after drinking alcohol and mph FREQUENTLY, took one night off of counting and ended up blacking out and getting hurt and a smaller cat with less tolerance would have died.

my cat tends to make posts based on things he can prove or at least see theories about. he tends to shy away from posting anecdotes as information because its not- its a story. theres no reason why any of its actually true or worth going by, and a cat shouldn't. but a similar combo almost killed a friend of his, and mixing stimulants and alcohol has almost killed him personally once.

my cat is sorry this is os long. he just has seen a lot of cats get hurt, one very badly almost in a situation very similar to this and its not something he can turn into hard facts or numbers. the danger that lies with mixing uppers and downers is almost entirely in the behaviour of the user; and anti-psychotics, besides not being terribly good for a cat or at all researched in any context in conjunct with any significant amount of a stimulant outside of the "q-ball" anecdotally as far as my cat knows, tend to be very disorienting which can lead to bad decisions. throw in something that wont let the soft sweet graceful savior of sleep from preventing you from letting your cat die just seems reckless.

there are much better drugs out there, this isn't a combonation worth fucking with.

ratatata added 1 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

oh, and then wanderer drops some science my cat didn't even see before that post.. ALRIGHT. trust that poster his hamster is well read and is a lot more trust worthy than my cat getting emotional about his fucked up panther friend

my cat thinks the moral of the story here is just 'don't push it, just come on, man.'

Last edited by ratatata; 21-04-2011 at 04:59. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18-05-2011, 00:47

34 y/o Male from United States
ClapOnCannabis is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1
Re: Ritalin & seroquel

SWIM went to an ADD doctor FAR away to get help after scoring in the 99th percentile on standardized tests, while getting zeros or close to it in all classes. The doctor, if you can call him that, RUINED SWIMs' life.

He told SWIM that maybe because he couldn't sleep, that was why SWIM couldn't focus or hold a job. Long story short, the guy prescribed SWIM 200 mgs of Seroquel for daytime! At school! Needless to say, shortly before dropping out for the third time, SWIM gave up on doctors and had to procure his ability to focus from snot-nosed rich kids.

SWIM would take the Seroquel in the morning, and sleep like a log through every class until the second to last period, where he could procure some MPH. The MPH worked fine, although SWIM was taking 2 or 3 thirty-six mgs at a time, biting them somewhat in half. The mix was plenty safe for SWIM, although SWIM would not recommend ANYONE taking Seroquel unless the have full blown Schizophrenia.

...SWIM thinks doctors should have to take a medicine before being allowed to prescribe it. This man sentenced SWIMs life opportunities to death.

Share this on: