Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Cannabis addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cannabis addiction Support for coping with Cannabinoid & Cannabis dependence.

Old 04-08-2005, 17:36
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
Insanoscopic should review received reputation comments.
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Quitting Cannabis- ideas for coping with symptoms?

It seems to happen every so often that the regular smoker encounters some sort of period when smoking cannabis must be stopped for periods of time.

at the moment, im taking it easy with the smoking because of repeat exams, and it's been pretty difficult. The obvious pitfall is trying to get to sleep without it, but i've managed to get a decent amount of sleep since quitting.

Unfortunately, a friend of mine has quit, not for any particular purpose or event, just for himself. but he's been having really bad insomnia, averaging about three hours sleep each night. i've suggested some herbal remedies that aid sleep.

¿has anyone any suggestions orexperience with these and other effects?

im interested to find out how much the personality changesafter quitting, because it's probably something that would be hard to self-perceive.Edited by: Insanoscopic
Old 04-08-2005, 18:58

BrandonAA needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Points: 291, Level: 2 Points: 291, Level: 2 Points: 291, Level: 2

just for referance inthe English language written questions only have the question mark at the end of the sentance. The first question mark is only for use in Spanish (to the best of my knowledge).

anyhow if the guy is not opposed to taking pharmacuetical drugs he could try ambien, or xanax (xanax at low doses does not get you high).it is not a good thing to eat pharmies every day though, because it can cause dependance. a beer or two (or wine and spirits) at night, even everyday is okay. alcohol thins your blood and can be quite relaxing even at low amounts, and two drinks will not give you a hangover, at least in my experiance.
Old 04-08-2005, 20:43

Male
Insanoscopic should review received reputation comments.
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonAA

The first question mark is only for use in Spanish (to the best of my knowledge).

I know... it's just a little bit more insanethe other way.

a beer or two, you say.. good idea...nice one.Edited by: Insanoscopic
Old 12-08-2005, 09:26

Male from Finland
120mg is an unknown quantity at this point
Melatonin 1-3mg. Take it exactly the same time every night (about one
hour before you want to sleep). Be sure to buy some melatonin with B6
vitamin in the pills.

Add 100mg 5-HTP to further help this issue.

ALCAR, Acetyl L Carnitine 2000-3000mg in 2 divided doses daily. Do not
take the second dose too late or it can keep you awake.

Follow this for a week and I promise that you will see results.
Old 15-08-2005, 04:16

RickyTarr is an unknown quantity at this point

When weaning myself off of pot, I tend to overindulge in caffeine. Then I complain to my friends that I'm an insomniac. That's just me.

Ask your friend about her/his caffeine intake. I recommend a cut-off of all caffeine products 6-7h before bedtime, and maybe a reduced intake throughout the day, if she/he is a caffeine user.
Old 28-08-2005, 16:36

Female from United Kingdom
Muirner is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2

i know this is a far dead topic but i'll still respond anyways.

Both times that i have went to jail i have been a heavy smoker. The first time i was selling it and smoking to my face a 1/2 - 1 oz a day. The second time i was smoking an 1/8th a day while on Home Confinement.

Anyways, going into jail while smoking that much and having nothing to smoke sucks. The usual withdrawls happen, night sweats, crazy interesting dreams, wanting to smoke, etc. But the best way i can say to get off of it and be ok, is to just straight QUIT. Disassociate yourself with the people who u smoke with. And i find after about a week i start to feel better, sleep comes a lot easier, and everything returns back to normal life, just with no pot.

Muirner
Old 01-09-2005, 02:08
Silver Member

Male from Netherlands
wann is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 132, Level: 1 Points: 132, Level: 1 Points: 132, Level: 1
Quitting cannabis has always been easy as pie for me. Even after
prolonged periods of smoking 'all day, every day' I've been able to
just completely stop without even noticing any bad effects (like
getting annoyed easily like most people talk about) for as long as I
want.

What I think is that just quitting straight is the best way to go. If
you come across any withdrawal-like effects, just drink a couple of
beers. You don't want to go into stuff that is addictive I think, since
it may lead to one addiction (physical) replacing the other (mental).

Old 01-09-2005, 05:12
Platinum Member & Advisor

Male from Bermuda
enquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 9,438, Level: 14 Points: 9,438, Level: 14 Points: 9,438, Level: 14
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Something that has helped me sleep better when not smoking is velerian root, which can be bought from a drug store in capsules.It's non-addictive, and does not make you groggy in the morning. I would emphasise that it won't knock you out and that excercise and keeping occupied are needed too.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:38
Platinum Member & Advisor

Male from Bermuda
enquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 9,438, Level: 14 Points: 9,438, Level: 14 Points: 9,438, Level: 14
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

^I don't think that any one smokes cigarettes because they want to- niccotine is just very addictive.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:57

Male
sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 2,598, Level: 7 Points: 2,598, Level: 7 Points: 2,598, Level: 7
Apparently this topic is not dead so I will give my 2 cents.

In my opinion, marijuana is not addictive, thus it requires no need to ween oneself off. A difference in behavior may be noted, as you are discontinuing the use of a mind altering substance, but nothing out of the ordinary is taking place. You may find it hard to sleep because you no longer have the drug to induce easy sleep. Again, this may be normal. Most people have sleeping problems at some point in they're life, especially when young. It may be the drug correcting this, and then without the drug, the sleeping issues reappear. By going off the drug, this may induce sleeping problems, as stressful events often play major roles in sleeping patterns. Totally normal.
Old 05-11-2005, 21:38

griafspliaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Listen, people are bullshitting on this forum. Weed is addictive; I know
cuz I've been there. And, there are ways to make it easier. Insomnia is
going to happen if you've been smoking daily for awhile. I reccommend
getting a few benzodiazepines to help you through this time; theres
nothing worse than not sleeping for a few nights, going crazy and then
saying fuck it id rather be a stoner than a zombie. Taking a week's worth
of valium after long term marijuana use wont hurt you if you are even a
slightly strong person. To get it out of your system faster you need to
exercise even if your a lazy stoner. It will get your body pumping and
sweat is one of the ways your body naturally excretes toxins. Eat raw
fruits and vegetables, hella water and cranberry juice. Think positively.
Drink some beers if you have to, just try not to think about it. I've kicked
multiple addictions including heroin, and am clean now so listen to me. I
pretty much joined this forum to help people out with this because I feel
like I know. Doctors wont give you benzos if you tell them your
withdrawing, if thats the route you take then give them bullshit like youve
been having serious panic attacks. Hope i helped, peace.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:07

Male
sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.
Lying to docs to get benzos for a weed addiction??? How about just stopping like a normal person. Most people seem to do fine with just quiting cold turkey, and it's sensless to start taking benzos to quit weed unless you're smoking massive amounts or something. Even if you were to tell a doctor you were having panic attacks, most would not start by giving you benzos.
Old 07-11-2005, 15:28
Psychedelic Shepherdess

37 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Jatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15
Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8%

Quitting weed: Easy, just doing it without the alcohol/benzos/whatever is more difficult.

Alcohol for SWIM has always caused a rebound wakefulness: Go to bed pissed: Wake up 5 hours later, mind in overdrive, impossible to sleep. Benzo's are great: It's just that SWIM found herself using them in too many situations for too many sorts of not dealing + Very easy to get too much of a good thing.

SWIM has always found that changing your environment helps. Let people know that you're trying to quit/limit your intake. If they have any kind of love or affection for you they will support you in that. Anyone who doesn't: Well sometimes in life you have to be harsh!

Much Love X
Old 08-11-2005, 03:02

troutcomplex is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wann
What I think is that just quitting straight is the best way to go. If you come across any withdrawal-like effects, just drink a couple of beers. You don't want to go into stuff that is addictive I think, since it may lead to one addiction (physical) replacing the other (mental).

Not to be that much of a tool, but excluding alcohol/beer from the list of "stuff that is addictive" is just a little off.

The debate as to whether MJ is 'addictive' is fraught with semantic problems. There are too many potential ways to define 'addicted' to something and there isn't a perfect acid test (pun intended) to assess from what standpoint (if at all) MJ is addictive.

Quitting, for me, depends on the setting. On the various occasions I've had to pissquiz I was able to stop for the month withoutany realdifficulties. (irritability, perhaps). But when I 'quit' because I run out and can't score - then I scrape like a fiend and smoke screen like an uberjunkie, because I'd MUCH rather okesmay than not okesmay.

A friend once suggested a definition of 'addicted' as when you have a plan not to run out of a given commodity. What do you think of that?

Ear Lobe.
Old 14-11-2005, 11:29
Banned

27 y/o Male
bonghed is heading for the Darwin Award.bonghed is heading for the Darwin Award.

melatonin at about 12mg if you can get it (it's not otc) and beer, also maybe weak valium temazepam, or even diazepan, but it's your choice.

Personnally i use all above as sleeping aids every now and again

but a benzo addiction is rather worse than being addicted to mj (i think people can be addicted to nearly everything) most people a (or several) addiction whether or not it is a drug or socially acceptableEdited by: bonghed
Old 14-11-2005, 12:25
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from Ireland
Nature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline Medline
Points: 3,100, Level: 8 Points: 3,100, Level: 8 Points: 3,100, Level: 8

Quitting smoking marijuana can be hassle, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a difficult challenge or anything. If you can't sleep, get up earlier in the morning, tire yourself out during the day making sure you don't take a nap and avoid benzos. I don't see why one should have to go onto benzos in order to get to sleep if you've just quit weed.

PS: In my humble opinion, anyone who claims weed is addictive is full of shit.
Old 14-11-2005, 13:41

Male
bcStoner420 is captain of the psychonauts.bcStoner420 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 694, Level: 4 Points: 694, Level: 4 Points: 694, Level: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature_boy_liam

PS: In my humble opinion, anyone who claims weed is addictive is full of shit.

Sorry but there im gonna have to disagree, when it becomes a part of your day the way it has for SWIM and others it really is addictive, if your compairing it to opiates or benzo's then of course thers no comparison. Anything can become both mentally and physically addictive over time and pro-longed use, even certain foods, for those of you who have seen the move "supersize me" the guy got addicted to mcdonalds...lol. Now i agree with its not particularily hard when you want to do it, but i still think it deserves some credit as at least a mental addiction. Like i said this addiction is easily beat, but still requires effort to stop completely, and anything that you need to put effort into not to use it, IMO, is an addiction in some form.

So if i am concidered full of shit thats fine but after experiencing it first hand i know ther is an addictive property there somewhere.

Though you did also say it can be a hassle, so i suppose mabey we just have different definitions of an addiction.Edited by: bcStoner420
Old 14-11-2005, 14:12
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from Ireland
Nature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline MedlineNature Boy must mainline Medline
Points: 3,100, Level: 8 Points: 3,100, Level: 8 Points: 3,100, Level: 8
I've smoked cannabis pretty-much non-stop for the past few years and I would in no way decribe myself as "addicted".

My definition of addiction involves the addict to suffer an obvious physical withdrawal after suddenly stopping use e.g. alcohol, cigarettes, cocaine, heroin etc.
Old 14-11-2005, 15:03

Male
thegod1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1
I think it would be pretty easy to get dependant on weed for some people.Although it isn't addictive, it's safe and doesn't havebad side effects... (How many other drugs can you say that about?)

Swim doesn't find itveryhard to stop smoking marijuana for a while, but I know some people that do...

Personally, I don't think anyone can state that "anyone who claims weed is addictive is full of shit" because we are all different and alllike different things.
Old 23-11-2005, 23:45

Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernhosp81

why does it matter if ur addicted or not? why are we debating abou this... unless u have to quit or a good reason then u shouldnt be taht big of a dumbass to question it.. so its ur decision and its about who you ae ull know when u want to break up with mary jane..

peace smoke on
Because alot of people don't like the idea of being a slave to a drug. It can eat away at your money, result in legal issues and it's probably somewhat bad for your health, although it is one of the safest drugs. The fact that I am so dependant of caffiene kinda bothers me, because some mornings I know I could do without the coffee, but I drink it outa habbit because it's just the routine I'm used to. I have cut down on my intake, and for about 2 weeks I was kinda irritable in the mornings. Surely addiction or dependancy is something one would want to avoid, but for most people, it's not the end of the world.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:52

27 y/o Male
IHrtHalucingens is on the way upIHrtHalucingens is on the way upIHrtHalucingens is on the way up
Points: 700, Level: 4 Points: 700, Level: 4 Points: 700, Level: 4
I think a huge issue is needing ot quit or wanting to quit. You can't fix a problem unless you realize that it is a problem. So when ur on piss tests or you MUST quit for any reason it will be harder than when u decide u want to quit. My advice is to distance yourself from people who will present a pressure for you to smoke, find something to occupy the time you usually spend smoking, and don't think it will be easy to go from smoking all the time to not smoking at all, regardless of the addiction issue. It willbe hard but itCAN be done, just remmember why ur quitting and what the consequences of u failing will be.
Old 27-12-2005, 19:47

Male
Colby is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 316, Level: 2 Points: 316, Level: 2 Points: 316, Level: 2
get a pill called melatonin it will build melatonin back up in ur body and will help u sleep, also benadryl works good, tylenol pm, and if u can get any seroquel they work really good too. but yea man qutting smokin bud is hard, but u gotta want to do it, the addiction to it is more mental than physical remember that. good luck
Old 10-06-2010, 10:08

21 y/o Male
dj renral is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Re: Quitting Cannabis- ideas for coping with symptoms?

A young puppy said...

i am finding myself in the same situation as the OP, with insomnia. i gave up skunk and super skunk and varius weeds around 6-7 weeks ago and for the past 5 weeks i havent had more that 6 hours sleep. the only way i have found to get a decent nights sleep is to drink myself silly. i cant carry on doing that every night so i also would appreciatte if any1 could help

never more than 6 hours a night i mean.. usually between 1 & 4/5

Last edited by Dickon; 10-06-2010 at 11:08. Reason: Quoting whole post, and then quoting his own post, self-incrimination.
Old 10-06-2010, 13:24
Silver Member

Male from Australia
burgers is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1

I'd try valerian root i think its the only way really, especially for long term use.. for a few off nights you could have proper sleeping tablets in the fiirst few days.

and also although its not goign to help you i find at the moment instead of having insomnia when swim is off weed, i find that i tend to get really freakin tired and now have really deep sleeps when off the weed, especially after the first few days.. i just thought i'd add that in because for me my body just "switched" to getting freaking tired instead of being an insomniac.,.. i guess what i mean to say that anything is possible.. allot might also have to do with the expectation that you are not going to sleep
Old 13-07-2010, 17:42
Buddha2012 Buddha2012 is nu online
Titanium Member

24 y/o Male from Canada
Buddha2012 is captain of the psychonauts.Buddha2012 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 223, Level: 2 Points: 223, Level: 2 Points: 223, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

I think maybe the people who mix their weed with tobacco are the ones who get withdrawal symptoms, my pet monkey has no probems because he only smokes straight up green .

Share this on:

Tags
benzos, cannabis addiction, marijuana addiction