Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Heroin
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 20:41
Mercury Member

25 y/o Male from United States
perfectday needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Points: 87, Level: 1 Points: 87, Level: 1 Points: 87, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Needle - help

As some of you may know someone who isn't me had cancer, and was hospitalised for this, this is when SWIM received a picc line, which is a long catheter inserted into your vein and has a thing on the end you can screw a syringe on, swim had it for over a year. Swim was addicted to opiates for a long while but one day he got the idear, to use his pic line to shoot up, and did so every day about 5 times a day with various opiates (mostly hydromorph) and other ops (ahem H) Well SWIM recently had the line taken out, and has to resort to insuflating his smack, and he dosn't get thata instant rush of extacy he used to get, only a happy mood and great nodsem, swim (with high doses) Today SWIM bought guage 29 1 cc syringes and is having such a hard time to get them to suck the solution into them when he pulls the plunger back, plus 1 cc is awfully small and the needles keep bending, swim has used a needle in the past that he could screw onto the tip of the other syringes and they didn't bend when he stuck it into his vein.SWIM is sure he could read it in a thread somewhere, but would somebody tell hhim exactly what type of needle is best at the pharmacy, swim dosn't care about guage, or pain or anything. just he wants to know if they make 3 or even 5 cc syringes, and needles that don't bend so easily and clog.

perfectday added 1 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectday View Post
As some of you may know someone who isn't me had cancer, and was hospitalised for this, this is when SWIM received a picc line, which is a long catheter inserted into your vein and has a thing on the end you can screw a syringe on, swim had it for over a year. Swim was addicted to opiates for a long while but one day he got the idear, to use his pic line to shoot up, and did so every day about 5 times a day with various opiates (mostly hydromorph) and other ops (ahem H) Well SWIM recently had the line taken out, and has to resort to insuflating his smack, and he dosn't get thata instant rush of extacy he used to get, only a happy mood and great nodsem, swim (with high doses) Today SWIM bought guage 29 1 cc syringes and is having such a hard time to get them to suck the solution into them when he pulls the plunger back, plus 1 cc is awfully small and the needles keep bending, swim has used a needle in the past that he could screw onto the tip of the other syringes and they didn't bend when he stuck it into his vein.SWIM is sure he could read it in a thread somewhere, but would somebody tell hhim exactly what type of needle is best at the pharmacy, swim dosn't care about guage, or pain or anything. just he wants to know if they make 3 or even 5 cc syringes, and needles that don't bend so easily and clog.

Sorry, the typing IS a little fucked up, my laptap always skips around when i type and i don't realize it did it until after.

Last edited by perfectday; 09-11-2009 at 20:41. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-11-2009, 20:52
Banned

28 y/o Male
chillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 27,071, Level: 23 Points: 27,071, Level: 23 Points: 27,071, Level: 23
Re: Needle - help

For the needle to bend, it sounds like SWIY might be putting too much pressure on it when trying to suck up the heroin. As for needle size, Red Rock liked the 30gauge 1cc 1" syringes but sometimes had to settle for 27 or 28 gauge. If I recall correctly, it might require a prescription in some states to obtain syringes bigger than 1cc but personally, I see no need for one to have that large of a syringe. 1cc is plenty enough unless one is using many, many grams at once.

For needle sizes and help, see:
What is SWIYs preffered needle and syringe specifications?
Difficulty buying needles
Hypos....?
Where to purchese Needles?

Post Quality Evaluations:
answers OP question,as well providing useful links.good post
Old 09-11-2009, 21:47
Mercury Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinwill View Post
For the needle to bend, it sounds like SWIY might be putting too much pressure on it when trying to suck up the heroin. As for needle size, Red Rock liked the 30gauge 1cc 1" syringes but sometimes had to settle for 27 or 28 gauge. If I recall correctly, it might require a prescription in some states to obtain syringes bigger than 1cc but personally, I see no need for one to have that large of a syringe. 1cc is plenty enough unless one is using many, many grams at once.

For needle sizes and help, see:
What is SWIYs preffered needle and syringe specifications?
Difficulty buying needles
Hypos....?
Where to purchese Needles?
Well swim has used up to a gram at once, and one cc of water dosn't seem like enough :x
Old 09-11-2009, 22:06
Banned

28 y/o Male
chillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 27,071, Level: 23 Points: 27,071, Level: 23 Points: 27,071, Level: 23

When Red Rock's tolerance was at it's highest, he was doing 1.1-1.2g shots in one syringe of heroin #4. Like I said earlier though, if SWIY wants to get a 3-5cc syringe, then check out USA Syringe Laws, State by State which might help determine if one is going to need a prescription to get the bigger size syringe.
Old 09-11-2009, 22:59
Mercury Member

Another question, is anything under the skin that is blue a vein? SWIM can't tell if SWIM feels SWIM's pulse in them or not. Yeah SWIM is a n00b to injecting with a regular needle. it's making him sad he feels like a pin cushion.
Old 10-11-2009, 00:06
Palladium Member

28 y/o Male from Canada
I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.
Points: 1,362, Level: 5 Points: 1,362, Level: 5 Points: 1,362, Level: 5
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Swiy should do a little reading before he does this, he should also make sure one of his friends is around in case of any mishaps. Sine swiy has a little tolerance, that is one posative. Heres a thread for injecting heroin safely.
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47097

Heres another one about injecting pills, it has little bit of everything for info in it

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28148

Heres another one on veins and vein problems

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28116

These are all helpfull threads. Between the three of them, they cover most grounds. Swim doesn't exactly like teaching people how to inject, but, hers a few tips as far as veins go. They call it shooting up, because swiy should shoot upwards, wheather its in his arms, or his legs. Most people have atleast two visible veins on their arms inside the elbow of forearm. Some people have very good veins, and some do not. That is what tieing up is for. Tie anything fairly tight around the arm about 3-5 inches below shoulder. Swiy will be surprised how many veins will start popping up. Poke the vein, suck in on the syringe, make sure when swiy pulls the plunger on syringe, that blood starts rushing in, then start pushing plunger inwards, go about 1-3 of the way, then pull back again a little, just to make sure swiy is still in the vein, again, blood should rush back in syringe, when it does, push the plunger all the way in. These are just basics, and not a guide to injection, thats what the links swim posted are for. Take a look at them. Take care, and make sure swiy has a good idea what they are doing before they do this. Might not be a bad idea to get another i.v drug user to show swiy how for the first couple of times. Once they teach swiy, then swiy can be confident on doing it himself.

Very helpful threads and links you pointed out
Old 11-11-2009, 18:43
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
Helene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline Medline
Points: 4,235, Level: 9 Points: 4,235, Level: 9 Points: 4,235, Level: 9
Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectday View Post
Another question, is anything under the skin that is blue a vein? SWIM can't tell if SWIM feels SWIM's pulse in them or not.
Anything with a pulse is an artery, not a vein. Injecting into arteries is extremely dangerous, leading to risk of loss of limbs, even death, and is also completely pointless (you won't feel the hit).

As well as the above linked threads, have a look at this one here, which has a lot of info on the differences between veins and arteries, how to distinguish the two, and what to do if you do accidentally inject into an artery: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...62&postcount=9

Another thing, injecting heroin into a semi-permanent IV line/ venous catheter/ cannula in your arm is not a great idea at all. A few years ago, swim's partner managed to "accidentally" leave the hospital without having his cannula removed (in fact, he's done this a couple of times). He used the cannula to hit up into for a week or two afterwards, but had to stop as the vein was getting irritated and inflamed. Something about the combination of the cannula in the vein, the impurities in street heroin, the acidity of the solution (esp. if necessary to mix with citric/ vit c, or if using tar) caused this inflammation and soreness. It's so tempting to use an IV line to inject heroin into, if given the chance (and it's not as uncommon as you may think), especially if you're having trouble getting a vein normally, but if you do decide to do this, you must not leave it in for too long, make sure you remove it as soon as there is any cause for concern (swelling, soreness, irritation etc), make sure you flush the cannula out with sterile saline solution after every use, and keep the surrounding area clean.

If for some reason you are fitted with a central line into your chest, groin or neck (tunneled venous catheter or implanted port), then this should never be used to inject street drugs into. A central line goes straight into a deep vein, and all the normal risks of infection and vein damage associated with IV use are increased exponentially. There is a massively increased risk of infection with central lines (compared to peripheral veins) even without using street drugs, and also, small air bubbles can be cause deadly embolisms, unlike in peripheral veins where small air bubbles are unlikely to cause any problems. The risk of thrombophlebitis is also increased, and in the case of a chest central line, this can potentially lead to endocarditis, something which IV heroin addicts are already in a higher-risk category for.

H

excellent advice, clear and helpful harm reduction information for the OP

Last edited by Helene; 12-11-2009 at 21:42.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:10

28 y/o Male
ilikesmypills should review received reputation comments.
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

holy crap man, those spikes are huge.. the largest rig swim has used is a 1cc 29guage 1"
swim likes the .5cc 31guage shorties for any application.
sometimes you just have to work at it. change the cotton often and try an be gentile with the tip while drawing up the solution. make sure the hole in the needle is facing down when you draw back too
Old 11-02-2010, 19:01
Silver Member

43 y/o Female from United States
OpiLuvnOldLady is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1

SWIM would like to address that the OP stated that the needle is getting clogged during draw up. This means a couple of different things, either there's no cotton being used at all (dangerous) and the needle is getting clogged with fillers/binders, the cotton is rolled too loosely (also dangerous) allowing fillers/binders to clog the needle, or if the OP is pushing too hard on the needle while trying to draw up said substance and getting needle bent, then there may be impaired flow in the needle.

SWIM isn't sure of the remark about the needle bending is while trying to draw up or while trying to enter skin. If it's skin, then this means that SWIY has dulled the needle, and she would suggest using a new one to do actual injection.

SWIM was a needle user for a long time and she religiously practiced using new sharp needles. Thankfully she has little visual evidence on her arms and hands regarding her past.

excellent work of addressing all the OP's points

Share this on:

Tags
blood in needle, buying needles, buying syringes, drug, drugs, drugs-forum, heroin, injecting, injecting drugs, injecting heroin, injection, needle availability, needle problems, needle size, safer injecting, shooting up, syringe availabilty, syringe size