Notices

Old 30-09-2009, 04:55
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
tumadre is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
vicodin and orange juice

I heard that if you take vicodin and drink grape fruit juice at the same time, that the grape fruit juice would make the vicodin stronger or something. I don't have any grape fruit juice, but I do have orange juice. Can orange juice work?
Old 30-09-2009, 06:30
Silver Member

Male from United States
paranoid_android is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 314, Level: 2 Points: 314, Level: 2 Points: 314, Level: 2
Re: vicodin and orange juice

It's difficult to say. From what I've heard, most (or many) fruit juices contain the same chemicals in GFJ that make it good for opiates, just not as much.

However, opiates absorb worse the more acidic the gut is, better when it's less acidic (like after taking Tums or baking soda). So on that front, it'll hurt.

Tough to say.
Old 30-09-2009, 07:11

24 y/o Male from Earth
Nnizzle must mainline MedlineNnizzle must mainline MedlineNnizzle must mainline MedlineNnizzle must mainline MedlineNnizzle must mainline MedlineNnizzle must mainline MedlineNnizzle must mainline MedlineNnizzle must mainline MedlineNnizzle must mainline MedlineNnizzle must mainline MedlineNnizzle must mainline Medline

Purely for the advancement of my knowledge, do you have a source that says that other juices have the right ingredients? The basis for opiate potentiation by drinking grapefruit juice has to do with the inhibition of the P450 enzyme which is an enzyme involved in the breakdown of opiates, hence when it is inhibited, less opiates (or perhaps at a slower rate) are broken down, supposedly increasing bioavailability. From what I've heard, grapefruit is the only juice that has this property, but I could be mistaken.

nnizzle added 8 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

Sorry.. I guess P450 isn't the enzyme, it's actually the CYP2D6 which is a member of a family of enzymes called Cytochrome P450? I think that's right, but I am just reading articles about the "grapefruit juice effect" and explaining how I believe it works.

nnizzle added 2 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

And the compounds which cause this inhibition are called furanocoumarins... and apparently orange juice does contain some of the same furanocoumarins as GFJ so perhaps it would actually work... I guess that's why paranoid_android said it was hard to say. Whoops.

Last edited by Nnizzle; 30-09-2009 at 07:11. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 30-09-2009, 07:15
Psychedelic Shepherdess

37 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Jatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15
Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8%

Orange juice does not inhibit the enzyme in question.
Old 18-09-2011, 12:50

Male from United States
Kurdunsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

^^

Are you familiar with any other juices that do inhibit the enzyme in question? SWIM seems to have trouble finding grapefruit juice, he'd find use in knowing alternatives
Old 20-09-2011, 03:52

Male from United States
enchilada is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1

Although I am not familiar with any other juices that significant inhibit the enzyme in question, there is an OTC product known as Tagamet which in essence does the same thing. It is much more general in its inhibition, as it inhibits most of the Cytochrome P450 set, which, in my opinion, has proven to be just as effective as a glass of grapefruit juice, with the added bonus of not tasting nearly as shitty.

Around 600mg is an ideal dose, which is 3 of the OTC pills that one can get at CVS or Rite-Aid.

Share this on:

Tags
amplify, drugs, drugs forum, grape juice, grapefruit, grapefruit juice, hydrocodone, lemon juice, opiates, oxymorphone, vicodin, vicodin es

» New Threads
Maeng Da Kratom
Last post by rhino236
47 Replies, 96,143 Views
jaw clenching / teeth grinding ?...
Last post by Dawn Godess
1 Replies, 37 Views
Sex and DXM
Last post by hunter19877
0 Replies, 1 Views
Meth insipired art/creative writing
Last post by aivolkovo