Notices

Opiates & Opioids Opiates & Opioids.

Old 20-09-2009, 18:26
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

29 y/o Male
ChestRockwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Not your typical early refill question..

SWIM's,question, however, is a bit different. It's about schedule 4 drugs. SWIM knows these are supposed to be nowhere near as bad as schedule 2 and 3 drugs in terms of potency and abuse factor. What are the refill guidelines like for these types of prescriptions? SWIM is just wondering what experiences people have had when filling these types of medicines?

Before you answer, SWIM wants to share some research on the subject he has done. He's been on Tramadol, also known as ultram, for a while now, he's rarely needed an early refill. However, someone in his family is also on this same drug. They have gotten frequent early refills in the past from both wal-greens and Wal-mart, whom SWIM has heard are usually strict with other medicines.

SWIM is going to elaborate on what he meant by early refills. He knows this particular family member is probably either abusing/selling his pills, but this person has gotten numerous early refills, and when SWIM says early he doesn't just mean 3-5 days early. To put it in perspective, this person would usually get a 30 day supply of meds with 3-6 refills.

He has sometimes refilled this 30 day supply on the 12-13th day out of 30. He did this many many times with Walgreens. He told me they never really said anything, and that sometimes when he was filling super early like only after 8-10 days they'd refuse to fill it, but he'd just try again on like the 13-14th day and they'd refill it it. He said this has gone on for over a year. He also said he had the same script at Wal-mart, who SWIM knows used to give him hell about his vicodin years ago, but wal-mart filled this med on the 18th day out of 30. Keep in mind this family member(a cousin) had no insurance of any kind.

This struck SWIM as really really strange because he had his scripts for the same med at Target, and they've only let him fill once on the 25th day out of 30..and they gave him a lot of trouble. A second time they let him fill on the 28th day out of 30, with little trouble. Which is all well and good, but that's 3-5 days early, not the sometimes 10-16 days early SWIM's cousin had gotten, and we practically live in the SAME neighborhood.

Swim knows people will say it "depends on the pharmacist" which he knows is true, but then again Swim's cousin had to of gotten his early refills from more than one pharmacist. SWIM has trouble believing two big chain pharmacies would both be filled with nothing but extremely lenient pharmacists. So SWIM concluded that it must be more the medicine than the pharmacist. Can schedule 4 drugs really be filled this early?

Before SWIM ends this post he wants to clarify a few things: He does not agree what this cousin of his is doing, in terms of getting way too many early refills. Swim knows it is wrong, Swim simply used it as an example in his post. Swim also knows his cousin was not lying to him as he saw all the bottles of medication and inspected them. Swim is just curious as to why he did not get as much hassle for a schedule 4 drug, and if anyone else has experienced similar events or if they just in general have information on the refilling policies of schedule 4 drugs or even Ultram/Tramadol in general. Thank you.

Oh and if anyone is curious Swim lives in the Illinois area.
Old 20-09-2009, 19:40
Banned

58 y/o Male
old hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPAC
Points: 1,692, Level: 6 Points: 1,692, Level: 6 Points: 1,692, Level: 6
Re: Not your typical early refill question..

Rules here in Texas says 75% of the prescription time is gone. Example, a 30 day supply at is 22.5 days.
Our pharmacist told me this rule a few days ago when I tried to get a refill for the wife.
Old 20-09-2009, 20:25

29 y/o Male
ChestRockwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by old hippie 56 View Post
Rules here in Texas says 75% of the prescription time is gone. Example, a 30 day supply at is 22.5 days.
Our pharmacist told me this rule a few days ago when I tried to get a refill for the wife.
But then how could this guy get refills early? Legally, you could get the refills anytime you want, but it's up to the pharmacy.
Old 20-09-2009, 22:25
Banned

58 y/o Male
old hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPAC
Points: 1,692, Level: 6 Points: 1,692, Level: 6 Points: 1,692, Level: 6

Paying cash has it benefits at some stores, not much diversion control on Sch. IV either.
Old 20-09-2009, 22:44
Palladium Member

27 y/o Male from Canada
I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.
Points: 1,362, Level: 5 Points: 1,362, Level: 5 Points: 1,362, Level: 5
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Swim is prescribed tylenol #3 and #4. He gets them refilled as he pleases. Swim would go through 40 tylenol #3 in the run of 9-12 days, plus 20 tylenol #4, and he had no problems getting his filled.(atlantic superstore). But swim has no idea what schedule his drugs are. Swim will also add though, that he does not have refills on these prescriptions, when he runs out, he just calls his doctors office and they call them in as soon as he hangs up. There has been times when swim went through all his meds in a week, and still had no prob getting them done, but this may be because the doctor calls them in. And swim uses insurrance. But again, swim doesn't know what schedule his narcotics are, swim assumes they are 4-5. This is in canada by the way.

Last edited by I_8_my yellow crayon; 20-09-2009 at 22:47. Reason: Not enough info for the poster
Old 01-12-2011, 05:05

32 y/o Male from United States
jman1982 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

Wow, same question I have. I have tried to get my Norco's filled for like 2 weeks now. I'm only (6) days from the refill, but they will NOT fill it at all. Dang Walgreens, LOL I really need my pills too, since the dang airport people "lost" my bags with ALL my pills in it. I hate life sometimes. Have a Good One, J
Old 01-12-2011, 13:27
Silver Member

Female from Canada
LostControl is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

There are a few things that go into deciding if a pt can refill a Rx. Most drug plans require 2/3 time to have passed before you can refill. So, a 30 day supply could be refilled at 20 days. For something like 40 tabs of Tylenol 3, you can take a max of 2 tabs every 4-6 hours, so 40 tabs would last like 4 days if you took the max dose. In Canada you're not allowed to write refills on narcotics, so doctors get around it by writing "part fills". So say he wants you to have 100 tabs a month, with 2 refills, he would write, "dispense 300 tablets, 100 tablets every 30 days." with something like this, you can't get any refills before the 30 days is up.
A lot of times, the refill time depends on your insurance, so even if the pharm thinks its ok, the insurance won't allow anything before the 2/3 time is up, unless you call for authorization (like you're going away).
Of course, there is also pharm discretion. I know there were some PTA who ticked me off more than others, so those one I gave a bit more of a hard time. It also depends on the drug - if you want your diuretic early, I don't care, because I know you're not likely to abuse them.
Old 01-12-2011, 19:46
Silver Member

39 y/o Male from United States
OmegaMan5000 is learning how to become a psychonaut.

I've gotten refills as early as a week later on 40 hydrocodone scripts.

same thing with an 60 ultracet script I got. One week later I refilled it with no problem and no questions.

Both of these were at CVS. I don't know I guess it's different all over. Depends on the state and the individual pharmacist I suppose?
Old 02-12-2011, 12:19
Palladium Member

23 y/o Male from United States
YeaXTC really adds to the discussion.YeaXTC really adds to the discussion.YeaXTC really adds to the discussion.YeaXTC really adds to the discussion.YeaXTC really adds to the discussion.YeaXTC really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,096, Level: 5 Points: 1,096, Level: 5 Points: 1,096, Level: 5
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

It's more dependent on the quantity prescribed and the directions prescribed, not always based on a "30 day supply". As lostcontrol stated sometimes a script is written for only 40 tablets at 1-2 tablets twice daily, this would mean at the maximum prescribed dose this is only a 10 days supply. That means after about 7 days a refill would be allowed (normally) to go through for this particular directions/quantity.

Each prescription is different and its completely dependent on the days supply that was billed to ones insurance company or if there is no insurance then it is based on the days supply of the medication based on the directions/quantity.

Hope this helps to answer your question..
xo
Old 03-12-2011, 00:02
DiabolicScheme DiabolicScheme is nu online
Titanium Member

Male from United States
DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.
Points: 1,174, Level: 5 Points: 1,174, Level: 5 Points: 1,174, Level: 5
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

I have to chime in and say sometimes it is the insurance that refuses to pay for it because its "too early" for the refill and many pharmacies will just tell you you can't fill it yet, Its not necessarily them refusing to fill it at all.

Though filling the prescriptions early is going to red flag your doctor because your prescription refills will run out too early.
Old 03-12-2011, 00:42
Silver Member

39 y/o Male from United States
OmegaMan5000 is learning how to become a psychonaut.

Hmm, my particular insurance doesn't cover medications. Maybe that's why I don't usually have a problem since that doesn't even enter into it?

But most of my scripts that're 20-ish day supplies I have gotten refilled in a week or less with no problems. Hmm..
Old 03-12-2011, 05:27

Male from United States
Tacticool needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1

Guys I don't mean to sound bad but a lot of the stuff I've seen mentioned in this is low level stuff , tramadol is not very high on the list, even Vicodin ( at least in NJ) is a med that can get written with refills, sheesh Tylenol 3s is like the low lister of all low lists.

I take Duragesic and Dilaudid, fentanyl is basically the strongest stuff there is , and hydromorphone is top 3 to top 5 I'm quite certain. And over the last year ive finally developed a relationship with my pharmacist that he allows me to bring A newly written scripts ( as Sched II allows no refills) 5 days before 30. It initslly was for my patches , I could come 2 days because I had to be on my last patch, but as we've become cooler and chatted and vie tried to explain, my major back surgery didn't go so well, I could be possibly filling these scripts forever, he's gotten cooler and realized I'm not a junky or dealer, he allows 5 days early. But he says straight up, for some customers its 30 days , call to verify each script , no breaks of any kind any time , and if they don't like it they can never come back lol. Nice to have the power
Old 03-12-2011, 07:36
Titanium Member

Female from United States
hypernihl is on the way uphypernihl is on the way uphypernihl is on the way up
Points: 409, Level: 3 Points: 409, Level: 3 Points: 409, Level: 3
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

It's completely up to the pharmacist at the pharmacy. He/she has discretion, to fill or not to fill a prescription. The insurance company has nothing to do with this decision. When you get a prescription filled that is on your insurance, they are billed after the fact. Unless it is some $10,000 medication, the pharmacy simply bills them.

In most states in the U.S. you can easily transfer a prescription with out your doctors orders at least one time. If you think your pharmacist is being unreasonable, have your prescription transferred by calling the pharmacy you want to transfer it to, then call the the pharmacy your script is at. This does not guarantee that you will get your prescription early.

Good luck, hopes this helps.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:41
Silver Member

Female from Canada
LostControl is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

I was a pharmacist 7 years in Alberta, so trust me, insursnce does play a role. When we fill a Rx we type in the number of days a prescription will last.So like I said, 30 Tylenol 3s will last about 4 days. I send all the billing info to insurance - if they come back and tell me you filled 100 tylenol 3 at another pharmacy 2 days ago, I'll get a message back saying "too early to refill" and the claim is rejected. The reason it takes so long to fill a Rx isn't because it takes 1/2 hour to count out 200 pills, it's because I'm usually fighting with insurance companies to get billing codes correct. Most comPanies allow a refill after 2/3 time is up. If you don't believe me, call them yourself. With narcs we are allowed to be strict and not refill until its a day or two before time is up - I usually give people a few days grace (no one wants to run out for their Rx with only 1 pill left. I'm happy with 25 days on a 30 day script.) Other pharmacists (usually younger ones) tend to be stricter - and make people wait to 28 or 29 days on a 30 day prescription.

Last edited by LostControl; 04-12-2011 at 02:44. Reason: Autocorrect is a bitch

Share this on:

Tags
analgesic, narcotic, opiate, opioid

» New Threads
Embarrrasing female issues...
Last post by Poppi
1 Replies, 8 Views
why is my benzo tolerance so high?
Last post by Trying Again
5 Replies, 75 Views
IBOGAINE Treatment for Heroin...