Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Amphetamine > Adderall
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 02:32

Male from Earth
Tetrahydrocannibinol should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Comparison of Adderall and Ritalin

On this forum I have read numerous threads about the differences between Adderall (dextroamphetamine)
and Ritalin (methylphenidate), and have found it difficult to find a decisive, unbiased comparison between the two drugs. Let's first look at the different effects on the brain that these drugs have.
Both Ritalin and Adderall are used in the treatment of ADD and ADHD; behavioural disorders linked to deficiencies or problems in the creation of dopamine and/or norepinepherine within the brain. Adderall acts as a inhibitor of these two hormones, as well as ups there productions within the synapses of your brain. This gives, depending on tolerance, metabolic rate, and dosage, the effects of; euphoria, jitters, up lift in mood, increased focus and productivity, lack of hunger, and in some cases an increase in sexual desire. Ritalin does the same thing as Adderall, but does not increase the production of the hormones, only lets them flow more freely.

Recently I decided to test myself the true difference between these substances. At around 7:45 AM before my first class of the day I took a dose of 25mg of Adderall orally with water and little food in my stomach. I did not feel the effects until about 8:25, halfway through the class period. When I began feeling the effects I almost instantly became extremely more studious, to the point the teacher had to ask me to stop answering all the questions and give other students a turn. I also had a huge surge in energy and mood lift, all grogginess of the morning gone at this point, as well as an increase in sweating and a feeling that my hair was growing, and extra sensitivity to touch. Large increase in social productivity as well. Next I went to go sing in a chorale choir at about 9:03, the "high" from the drug still very present. The class was socially and scholastically interesting, though halfway through the hour the effects decreased dramatically. 2 hours later I took another 50 milligram dose, but no new effects were achieved, and no noticeable "high" was ever regained, though I was still extremely studious and social. Sleeping was a disaster, and I could only find salvation in 2 nyquill to doze me off at arround 3 AM the following day.

When I woke up I ate a light breakfast as before, and took 40mg of Ritalin at 7:45 AM orally. NO EFFECTS WERE FELT for at least 2 hours, the only noticeable effect all day was a possible increase in sweating, and a very slight hair growth feeling like with Adderall. I noticed no increase socially (in fact I was more irritable than usual) and I found myself more distracted than anything, with no gain in focus at all.

In conclusion, Adderall is by far a better drug for use in school or a mood lift. I do not have ADD or ADHD so I do not know which is better for that treatment, but if you are looking for the recreational effects of one of these amphetamines, I highly recommend Adderall over Ritalin. Thank you for your time!

Tetrahydrocannibinol added 2 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Oh also there was no trouble sleeping from the Ritalin either. Didnt feel anymore energized than usual.

Last edited by Tetrahydrocannibinol; 06-09-2013 at 02:32. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-09-2013, 17:38
Titanium Member

20 y/o Male from United States
AlteredEnthusiasm is on the way upAlteredEnthusiasm is on the way upAlteredEnthusiasm is on the way up
Points: 367, Level: 3 Points: 367, Level: 3 Points: 367, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Comparison of Adderall and Ritalin

Adderall is, in general, a better stimulant than Ritalin. As an amphetamine, adderall causes neurons to release dopamine and norepinephrine by reversing the enzymes usually clear them out of the synapses. Ritalin acts more as a reuptake inhibitor and not so much as a releasing agent.

Your analysis of how the two chemicals work is a tad inaccurate, and there are many threads on this site explaining it. I would recommend doing a little bit more research, both on drugs forum and on other sites, so that you can better understand your experiment and be able to control it a bit better.

In your test, there are a few issues that make your results inconclusive. By using ritalin the day after using adderall, you are not giving your brain enough time to rebuild its stores of Dopamine and Norepinephrine, and your body has most likely downregulated its catecholamine receptors to some extent after using amphetamine. Another problem is the doses. This experiment would generate more conclusive results if you tried to use more equipotent doses. 25 milligrams of adderall is typically a bit stronger than 40mg ritalin, and you boosted the adderall dose with an additional 50 mg, a fairly large dose in terms of achieving good therapeutic effects, but you did not boost the ritalin.

Another problem is the amount of sleep in between the first and second days. The limited sleep you got most likely diminished the effects of the ritalin pretty significantly.

This is a good start, but if you want the results to carry a bit more weight it will require more planning and control than what you have here.

Last edited by AlteredEnthusiasm; 06-09-2013 at 17:43. Reason: added info
Old 08-09-2013, 21:31

Male from Earth
Tetrahydrocannibinol should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Thanks for the input!! Ill be repeating the experiment this week and the next! I've given about 10 days from the last amphetamine usage, and will give a full 7 days between the drugs as well as using equal dosages of each. The reasoning for the lack of punctuality and care is because originally I was not intending for the drugs to be used as an experiment, merely recreationally using them. Now ill be conducting an actual experiment, but this time with adderall and dexidrine!
Old 11-09-2013, 16:23
Titanium Member

AlteredEnthusiasm is on the way upAlteredEnthusiasm is on the way upAlteredEnthusiasm is on the way up

A week in between should be enough to conduct a "controlled" experiment to see the difference. You will most likely see that dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) is stronger than adderall (~75% d-amp, 25%l-amp) per mg since the right handed isomer (dextroamphetamine) tends to affect the CNS more potently than the left handed isomer
Old 12-09-2013, 06:06
Silver Member

Male from United States
bulldog19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1
Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6%

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Adderall is a mix of a Dextroamphetamine and L-amphetamine and a few other types of amphetamine. Pure Dextroamphetamine would be Dexedrine, and Vyvanse would be pure L-amphetamine.

Post Quality Evaluations:
don't post on topics you know nothing about without doing even basic research first. In the age of google this sort of bad information is inexcusable.
Old 13-09-2013, 00:29
Titanium Member

please try to at least do a little bit of research before posting...

"other amphetamines" are not in adderall, "other amphetamines" includes close to 100 other substances that share the same amphetamine backbone as what is in adderall. Adderall is about 72.5% d-amp and 27.5% l-amp. Dexedrine is entirely d-amp and Vyvanse is d-amp bonded to lysine (an amino acid) making it lisdexamphetamine, a prodrug that is turned into d-amp by enzymes in your body that remove the lysine.
Old 16-09-2013, 23:15
Silver Member

Male from United States
bulldog19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1
Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredEnthusiasm View Post
please try to at least do a little bit of research before posting...

"other amphetamines" are not in adderall, "other amphetamines" includes close to 100 other substances that share the same amphetamine backbone as what is in adderall. Adderall is about 72.5% d-amp and 27.5% l-amp. Dexedrine is entirely d-amp and Vyvanse is d-amp bonded to lysine (an amino acid) making it lisdexamphetamine, a prodrug that is turned into d-amp by enzymes in your body that remove the lysine.
I had seen research it the past, I may of not remembered it right or had not the best info, but the actual point I was trying to make was that Adderall isn't just Dextroamphetamine.

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, effects, experience report, ritalin