Register Tags

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 02:35

Male from United States
Jdubs is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Ketamine health consequences

Just to reconfirm....a 3 or 4 times a year won't be a major health issue?

Jdubs added 29 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

Just to reiterate, 3 to 4 times a year spaced out shouldn't cause any major health affects correct?

Last edited by Jdubs; 09-06-2009 at 02:35. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-06-2009, 21:22

Male
dumptruck is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

I can also anecdotally confirm that frequent K use causes bladder/urinary tract problems. SWIM started experiencing pain after only a couple weeks of daily use.

My advice: If you are having these pains, STOP TAKING K, or at least drastically reduce frequency. Get a different hobby. These problems may affect you for the rest of your life. If you can't stop by yourself, get help.

Last edited by ThirdEyeFloond; 09-06-2009 at 22:23. Reason: self-incrimination
Old 09-06-2009, 21:50
Gold Member

Male from USA - New York
RaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline MedlineRaverHippie must mainline Medline
Points: 3,053, Level: 8 Points: 3,053, Level: 8 Points: 3,053, Level: 8
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumptruck View Post
I can also anecdotally confirm that frequent K use causes bladder/urinary tract problems. I started experiencing pain after only a couple weeks of daily use.

My advice: If you are having these pains, STOP TAKING K, or at least drastically reduce frequency. Get a different hobby. These problems may affect you for the rest of your life. If you can't stop by yourself, get help.
While your post is appreciated to warn other users about the health effects of ketamine, I must warn you to be wary of self-incrimination like I highlighted. Since you cannot yet edit your post I alerted a moderator to do so for you. Be more wary next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubs View Post
Just to reiterate, 3 to 4 times a year spaced out shouldn't cause any major health affects correct?

correct, SWIY should experience nothing but the subjectively pleasant effects of the drug.

Last edited by RaverHippie; 09-06-2009 at 21:56.
Old 10-06-2009, 00:38

Male
dumptruck is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaverHippie View Post
While your post is appreciated to warn other users about the health effects of ketamine, I must warn you to be wary of self-incrimination like I highlighted. Since you cannot yet edit your post I alerted a moderator to do so for you. Be more wary next time.
I realized my mistake almost instantly after submitting the post and submitted a report. Thanks for your concern.
Old 10-06-2009, 14:46

29 y/o Female from United Kingdom
tonimarie is an unknown quantity at this point

This article is completely true.

SWIM is a ketamine user and uses with her friend around 7g a day which is 3.5g each. This is daily use so for those who use it now and again you probably wont have much problems.

SWIM has used daily for almost 18 months and has had the following:

2 Urine infections
1 Kidney infection
Been hospitalised twice for gastritis and gallstones
Gets severe ket cramps every 3-4 weeks )literally screaming on the floor cannot move from the pain
Is due for a camera down the throat and ultrasound on the bladder in 1 week.

SWIMs friend who she shares ket with has had:

Urine infections
Ket cramps
Pancreatitis (dunno if thats correct spelling)
Has to go to london for surgery and has been hospitalised 3 times (all for 1 week each)
and now has a cathater (pissbag) fitted and is due for bladder reconstruction.

The sad thing is SWIM and her friend both still use ketamine every single day, only ceasing for a couple of days at a time when the pain gets so severe.

Both SWIM and her friend have been injected with morphine whilst in hospital, on drips and given gas and air, and they both still go into the hospital toilets to rack up some lines of ket.
Old 10-06-2009, 21:04

Male
anfield road should review received reputation comments.
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1

Swiy says she has a Catheter piss bag fitted!! and is due for bladder reconstruction, does this mean that the catheter is not for life??!!

Swim has being using 6 months daily and haas had the odd 2 week break off and is now being off for 21 days, but swim still has great pains!!

Can this sort its self out in time or is the damage already done??

Swim thinks that surely this drug is got to be reclassified!! Swim is going the doctors tommorow. what should swim say to his GP? he does not want to say anything about drugs!!

anfield road added 64 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

Will Swim have to ask for a refferal to a Urolagist or will the cytitis treatment work? Swim is not taking anymore and is scared shitless that if he goes to see a urolagist that they may say its bad news etc!!

Swim is thinking to just play along with it as cytitis and try that drinking lots of water etc and see if that helps!

Last edited by anfield road; 10-06-2009 at 21:04. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-03-2010, 13:25
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

24 y/o Female from United Kingdom
liarliar is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1

If SWIY is getting the K cramps and cystitis (SWIM has had both, the cystitis thankfully didnt last long and treatment for swim was mostly hot bath and hot water bottle + loads of liquids) but K cystitis is very different to the classic infection type, so if swiy does have it, for the sake of swiy's health it's probably best to tell the doctor and STOP TAKING K. There's no way around it, though SWIM knows herself how hard it is to do.

SWIM has also had the K cramps and missed days off uni for that, but refused to go to the doctor even when the pain got so bad that swim could not sleep, wanted to die and kept throwing up (from it being so painful). After a week or so it went away but it's something swim wishes on no one.

The point is that if swiy has started getting negative effects, swiy is taking it too far. It's worse for those who can/find it easier to function on K (like swim), as that makes it even harder to stop, but at the end of the day swiy has to realize it really isn't worth it - when swiy takes that much K the effects get a bit lost anyway and swiy's body will pay a harsh price.
If it's that hard to quit or at least cut down, weekends only, etc and have a specific amount that swiy is allowed, then don't go over that amount.
Old 27-06-2010, 22:07

Female
hanseltoastface is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketamine View Post
swim has recently been suffering from sleep paralysis. this has never happened to swim before but recently they have being taking more ket, and on a few occasions swim has woken up been unable to move.
I have heard of peoples arms and hands tingling in the middle of the night. Is this a Ketamine side effect?
Old 26-10-2010, 02:00
Platinum Member & Advisor

Male from Bermuda
enquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 9,461, Level: 14 Points: 9,461, Level: 14 Points: 9,461, Level: 14

See also:

Quote:
Chu PS, Ma WK, Wong SC, Chu RW, Cheng CH, Wong S, Tse JM, Lau FL, Yiu MK, Man CW.
“The destruction of the lower urinary tract by ketamine abuse: a new syndrome?”.
BJU Int. 2008 Dec 27;102(11):1616-22.

Abstract
OBJECTIVE: To report the clinical spectrum seen in young abusers of street-ketamine regular recreational abusers of street-ketamine, for its hallucinogenic effects in Hong Kong, presenting with significant lower urinary tract symptoms LUTS but with no evidence of bacterial infection.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: We retrospectively analysed the clinical presentations, pelvic pain and urgency/frequency scores, video-urodynamic studies, cystoscopy findings, histological features of bladder biopsies and radiological findings of 59 ketamine abusers who were referred to the urology units of Princess Margaret and Tuen Mun Hospital, Hong Kong, from March 2000 to December 2007.

RESULTS: Of the 59 patients, all had moderate to severe LUTS, i.e. frequency, urgency, dysuria, urge incontinence and occasionally painful haematuria. Forty-two 71 patients had a cystoscopy that showed various degrees of epithelial inflammation similar to that seen in chronic interstitial cystitis. All of 12 available bladder biopsies had histological features resembling those of interstitial cystitis. Urodynamically, either detrusor overactivity or decreased bladder compliance with or without vesico-ureteric reflux was detected to some degree in all of 47 patients. Thirty patients 51 had unilateral or bilateral hydronephrosis on renal ultrasonography, and four 7 showed features suggestive of papillary necrosis on radiological imaging. Eight patients had a raised serum creatinine level.

CONCLUSIONS: A syndrome of cystitis and contracted bladder can be associated with street-ketamine abuse. Secondary renal damage can occur in severe cases which might be irreversible, rendering patients dependent on dialysis. The present data do not establish the precise cause nor the incidence. Street-ketamine abuse is not only a drug problem, but might be associated with a serious urological condition causing a significant burden to healthcare resources.
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/loc...tid=29&id=9688
Old 29-10-2010, 22:57
Gold Member

26 y/o Male from United States
rxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,646, Level: 7 Points: 2,646, Level: 7 Points: 2,646, Level: 7

"Might be irreversible". I have yet to see any evidence that ketamine does cause lasting physical damage.

Swirx experienced very noticeable negative health consequences from his use, but... they all went away with 4-6 months of sobriety.

I suppose the one thing I have heard of is the choking to death in your sleep scenario with ketamine induced black outs and over congestion. This seems feasible.

Ketamines true danger, swirx believes, is in its mental effects and the life altering decisions made in that state (the impairment in thought is not only present while one is under the influence but up to a few weeks after use).

Further, I think the risk of legal trouble due to K black outs in public is also another major reason to limit intake.

Ketamine can have a lot of negative consequences, swirx is just not sold on the permanent damage bits.
Old 30-10-2010, 05:25

Male from Bermuda
enquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum

Agreed. The lasting damage of most drugs is over hyped. But, even temporarily, the symptoms of cystitis can be no fun.

The black outs are a real problem. My horse has fallen has had inconvenient falls, even in his stable, which resulted in bruising and aches and pains which can last months, not to mention associated problems. Most people think that someone blacking out is very serious!

The mental side, the drug's interference with leading a 'normal' life, the exhasution prolonged abuse produces, and so on, are reasons not to take it too often.

That's not to mention what John Lilly called the problem of 'ketamine entities.'
Old 30-10-2010, 06:09
Gold Member

26 y/o Male from United States
rxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPACrxbandit must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,646, Level: 7 Points: 2,646, Level: 7 Points: 2,646, Level: 7

My cat always found the auditory hallucinations the most enjoyable yet the most disturbing. My cat has come to realize that heavy ketamine abuse leads to a state almost identical to that in paranoid schizophrenics. It is interesting to have experienced, but terrifying to live.

Swirx does miss his theme music though(yes ketamine gave swirx theme music... and thats far from some of the stranger effects).
Old 30-10-2010, 18:04

Male from Bermuda

My horse tells me that he thinks that the state produced by cumulative ketamine use, especially if enhanced, has some similarities with the descriptions that paranoid schizophrenics give of their state of mind. Stimulant abuse, especially with long lasting stimulants like amphetamines, may produce states more akin to paranoid schizophrenia, in his opinion.

A big difference is that ketamine is said to produce highly euphoric states whereas paranoid schizophrenia is usually described as being unpleasant, not that my horse has ever personally experienced that. he thinks that the ketamine state is probably subjectively totally different to any mental illness./ When scientists first investigated LSD and other psychedelics they coined terms like psychomimetic (mimicking psychosis) but this was found to be fundamentally wrong.

True, John Lilly, during his pioneering experiments, was diagnose with paranoid schizophrenia twice, but no one knew anything about ketamine then.

Hearing ethereal music is wonderful experience!

Share this on:

Tags
ketamine addiction, ketamine chronic use, ketamine long term effects