Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Heroin
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 28-10-2009, 03:42
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from United States
Thor1394 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Re: Arm going numb when shooting into wrist(sometimes)

Definitley sounds like you are damaging a nerve. A friend of SWIMs did something similar to this a couple years back giving himself something the doctors told him was called saturday night palsy(sounds like "paul-zee") Anyway it usually occurs in people who get drunk or fall asleep sitting up resting on the hands cutting off circulation to the nerves and damaging them but he got it by stabing his nerve causing his arm to go numb and unusable for a little over two weeks. So if this keeps occuring when SWIY shoots there he may want to find somewhere else before he does something a little more serious.
Old 28-10-2009, 04:01
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
Ill~Will is learning how to become a psychonaut.

Thank you for sharing swiy's story, swim no longer uses this spot, he only did when he was having trouble hitting other veins. Swim now uses the elbow crook and the large veins on his forearms

Doesn't sound like fun to lose all usage of ones arm for any amount of time!
Old 29-10-2009, 02:40
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
Helene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline Medline
Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9
Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0%

Your arms are literally full of nerves, and hitting one whilst trying to find a vein can be really fucking painful. Depending on whether you just brush it with the needle, or go straight through it, and how big the nerve is, the sensation can range from a fairly mild, electric-shock type of feeling that just causes you to jump a bit, to an intense throbbing pain, that results in swelling, numbness and/ or tenderness for days, even weeks afterwards.

Strangely enough, in swim's experience, she tends to hit a nerve a lot more often when attempting to inject into areas that have been really hammered in terms of IV use. The main example being the area around those (now defunct) "starter veins" in the crooks of swim's arms. Nearly all the veins in that area are pretty much un-useable now, and are covered in gristle and scar-tissue. These areas have grown much more sensitive over the years, in terms of neural twinges and shocks encountered when trying to hit up, rather than less so, as some may expect.

Swim imagines this is due to repeatedly damaged nerves not ever being given the chance to repair themselves fully, in that as soon as they started to heal, a needle would be stuck in again, further preventing recovery. Also, perhaps the thicker scar tissue and gristle causes the nerves to deform slightly as well.

Strangely enough, although the damage to her nerves doesn't present itself as numbness or loss of sensation at the site of the injection, swim does have an area of skin on the back of her left hand that is permanently slightly numb to the touch. As swim can't recall an exact incident that caused this numbness, she guesses it must be yet another accumulative side-effect of years of thoughtless over-use of the veins further up her arm, and the associated damage to her neural pathways.

H

Last edited by Helene; 01-11-2009 at 12:15.
Old 31-10-2009, 23:46
Silver Member

39 y/o Male from United Kingdom
piggyinthemiddle is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 195, Level: 2 Points: 195, Level: 2 Points: 195, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Some Fingers Have Gone Numb

Around a week ago SWIM woke up with his little finger and ring finger slightly numb.

For quite some time now he's had bad circulation, so he figured that he'd slept on them and they'll be better in 10 or 20 minutes.

But they're still numb now - around a week later. Not completely numb there is still the full feeling in them both, but this sensation of numbness remains.

Does anyone know what's up with them? I was thinking it may have spread from my brain, which has been numb since birth :P
Old 31-10-2009, 23:52
Banned

28 y/o Male
chillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 27,071, Level: 23 Points: 27,071, Level: 23 Points: 27,071, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Some Fingers Have Gone Numb

Does SWIY use heroin IV? I am guessing so since this post is in the heroin forum but just making sure. If so, collapsed veins and vein damage can cause poor circulation which in turn can cause the "numb" feeling. Also, does SWIY shoot in their hands?
Old 01-11-2009, 00:19
Silver Member

Yeah SWIM has used Heroin I.V for years and can't shoot into his hands anymore as all the veins are gone. Well, all the ones he could see anyway.

I guess I should have said that in the original post, but as I said my brain has always been numb
Old 01-11-2009, 00:23
Titanium Member

Esmerelda probably knows what they are talking about.Esmerelda probably knows what they are talking about.Esmerelda probably knows what they are talking about.Esmerelda probably knows what they are talking about.Esmerelda probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 881, Level: 4 Points: 881, Level: 4 Points: 881, Level: 4

Chillinwill is right - poor circulation from IV heroin use can definitely cause this.

However, it's also possible that the ulner nerve (the nerve that supplies that bit of the hand) is being compressed at the elbow, or that the nerves that go to make up the ulner nerve are being compressed in the neck.

Before assuming that the problem is solely due to injecting, try the following:

Stretch your neck on the side of the numb hand by using your other hand to hold your head, and pull your head down towards the shoulder on the side of the good hand. Here's a good example:

http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exerc...stretches.html

Spend about 5 minutes doing these (about 30 seconds each time and a rest between each) and see if you start to get any feeling back in your hand. I recommended this to someone recently and they regained feeling immediately. Sometimes it takes longer, so do them daily for a week if they don't work straight away. If there is no improvement after a week then the chances are your neck isn't the problem.

There are some stretches you can do for the elbow, but they're less successful, and the best thing you can do there is avoid sleeping with it bent.

Important!
Even if these exercises help, it doesn't mean injecting isn't contributing to the problem (assuming Swiy does inject that is!). These sorts of symptoms often have more than one exacerbating factor, and poor circulation is bound to make it worse, even if it's not the only cause.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Well thought out post and valuable information for the op's question
very informative
Really helpful advice for the OP and others
Thanks! Worked for me. My arm feels much much better now.
Old 01-11-2009, 00:46
Silver Member

Ooh, Wow, thanks SWIEsmerelda. I was hoping I'd get an answer from you as I've seen some of your posts in other threads.

I'll give these a try and see what happens. Also, I just remembered, this is the arm which I dislocated the shoulder about a year ago. I wonder if that has any bearing on the matter.
Old 01-11-2009, 00:55
Titanium Member

Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.
Points: 1,969, Level: 6 Points: 1,969, Level: 6 Points: 1,969, Level: 6
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

All good points, numbness in fingers could be nerve damge from injecting, could be seperate from injecting ie trapped nerve, carpal tunnel syndrome, has also been listed as a symptom of Hep c. If it's a symptom that persists keep mentioning it to your doctor, they never listen the first time you tell them anything.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:21
Titanium Member

Esmerelda probably knows what they are talking about.Esmerelda probably knows what they are talking about.Esmerelda probably knows what they are talking about.Esmerelda probably knows what they are talking about.Esmerelda probably knows what they are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggyinthemiddle View Post
Ooh, Wow, thanks SWIEsmerelda. I was hoping I'd get an answer from you as I've seen some of your posts in other threads.

I'll give these a try and see what happens. Also, I just remembered, this is the arm which I dislocated the shoulder about a year ago. I wonder if that has any bearing on the matter.
You're welcome . If you feel the neck stretching is helping at all, you can look up other neck stretches to do too. Just tipping your head right forwards and rotating it round in circles is a good one. Like you're trying to draw a big circle in the air with your nose!

Have a read online about ulnur nerve compression at the elbow too. I know it's harder to treat with exercise, and that sleeping with a bent elbow makes it worse, but I don't know much more about it than that.

Anna mentioned carpal tunnel. It's not likely to be carpel tunnel because this affects the median nerve, which supplies the thumb, index finger, middle finger, and part of the ring finger. The pattern your describe is of an ulner nerve problem, as this supplies the little finger and part of the ring finger.

Anna's advice to speak to a doctor is a good idea. Even if you manage to get some symptom relief yourself, it's good to get professional advice.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:48
Titanium Member

Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.
Points: 1,969, Level: 6 Points: 1,969, Level: 6 Points: 1,969, Level: 6
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Esmereldas right, didnt read the original question with as much care as should have, my apologies.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:30
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Thema View Post
Esmereldas right, didnt read the original question with as much care as should have, my apologies.
Aw, nothing to apologise for . It was a good example, as it's something most people have heard of. I just thought I'd better point out that in his case it was unlikely to be the cause. It was my first thought too though, before I realised which fingers he was talking about.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:26
Gold Member

Helene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline Medline

There's another thread on a pretty similar subject, with quite a few good replies to the OP's query. Have a look, hopefully it'll help:

Injecting - Arm going numb when shooting into wrist(sometimes)

Excerpt from swim's reply to above thread:

"Strangely enough, although the damage to her nerves doesn't present itself as numbness or loss of sensation at the site of the injection, swim does have an area of skin on the back of her left hand that is permanently slightly numb to the touch. As swim can't recall an exact incident that caused this numbness, she guesses it must be yet another accumulative side-effect of years of thoughtless over-use of the veins further up her arm, and the associated damage to her neural pathways."

Swim's partner dislocated his shoulder quite a few years ago (or rather, someone else did it for him, with a baseball bat, but that's another story...), his nerves were quite bruised and damaged at the time, and it took a few years for the sensation in his arm to get anywhere near back to normal. His arm fell out of its socket a further two times after the initial incident, the latest occasion as long as two years after the event. It takes a long time for the muscle around the joint to strengthen again, and for the nerves to repair themselves. Injuries such as these can very easily trap, damage or bruise nerves, quite commonly causing neural problems further down the line. Was your shoulder pinned in place? Have you been following your physio exercises? Keep an eye on any injury like this, and don't hesitate to speak to your doc if you're concerned about anything.

Poor circulation and nerve damage as a result of IV use certainly doesn't help matters. Swim's hands feel cold most of the time, they get kinda blotchy and achey when it's really cold out, and take a long time to warm up again when she goes back inside. Of course, the obvious answer is to stop hitting up, but this of course is much easier said than done.

A slightly more straight forward solution is to do what swim has done recently, and invest in a decent pair of suede (or leather) gloves, and make the effort to wear them as much as you can. You'll be amazed at the difference something as simple as this can make; as the temperature is dropping outside, for the first time in years, swim's hands aren't aching with the cold all the time.

H

Last edited by Helene; 01-11-2009 at 13:00.
Old 01-11-2009, 21:54
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from United States
Thor1394 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Great post. SWIM is also an IV drug user who used the back of his hands until no vein remains in sight. SWIM believed this is the reason the tip of his thumb on left hand has been numb for almost a year.SWIM is going to check out these stretches but SWIM doesn't know if this will help. Hopefully a little.

Last edited by Thor1394; 01-11-2009 at 21:56. Reason: Typo
Old 01-11-2009, 22:39
Titanium Member

Forgot to say in my last reply, as Helene mentioned, a dislocated shoulder could definitely have an impact. After the nerves to the arm leave the spine, they branch and form a sort of mini network called the 'brachial plexus'. This can easily get injured during anterior dislocation of the shoulder. i.e. if the shoulder pops out of the front of the joint.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:25
Silver Member

34 y/o Male from United Kingdom
flube is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 205, Level: 2 Points: 205, Level: 2 Points: 205, Level: 2

Swim has the same thing. Sometimes swim wakes up and his finger is locked and has to manually bend it back into shape. Swim does not iv and when swim gave up a few months back, it also stopped. After swim has started smoking. It's back again. It's defo linked tohroin usage. Swim has stopped again today. Will seeif it goes and let you know.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:31
Silver Member

Some of the feeling has returned in SWIMs fingers Thanks for the link, it was really helpful. He's been keeping his arm straight when he plays games for extended periods of time. And the exercises give noticable resluts . Yay!! Thanks again
Old 09-11-2009, 03:41
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggyinthemiddle View Post
Some of the feeling has returned in SWIMs fingers Thanks for the link, it was really helpful. I've been keeping my arm straight when I play games for extended periods of time. And the exercises give noticable resluts . Yay!! Thanks again
That's such good news. If keeping your arm straight helps, then finding a way to keep it straight at night is important, as some people sleep them bent for hours without noticing. There are lots of ways you can do it but you're probably best finding something that suits you. You could also look online for some elbow exercises to add to the neck ones you're doing - you might get extra benefit from doing both.

If you have the motivation for it, yoga can also be extremely helpful. I've known people with severe numbness in their hands cure it completely through yoga. If you're worried about it being boring, you could try something called Ashtanga yoga - it's a lot more aerobic than most kinds, and is as much of a workout as going for a run.

Also, just because the exercises help, it doesn't mean that injecting isn't making it worse! If Swiy can give it a rest in that arm that would be really good.

You can also look for other ways of improving the circulation in general. Ginko biloba is a herb that some people find helpful. Reading around online and finding things that suit you and have evidence for them is the best plan though.

Well done for getting somewhere already - I'm impressed . Keep working at it and you'll probably get all the feeling back soon.
Old 10-12-2009, 00:04
Silver Member

I'm Cured, in fact I stopped doing the excersises after about 3 weeks and I will know what to do if it returns.

I think it may have been caused by the long hours I spend sat at my PC. Thanks to everyone for all your input.

And for anyone reading this cos they have similar symptoms.. check the links - do the excesises .. They work !
Old 12-12-2009, 01:43

40 y/o Female from United States
DogAddictedtoCatNip is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Re: just shot up and arm is now completley numb!!

hello , this is my first post so forgive me if it is a little rough. i have had this happen to me 2x at the injection site. i also break out into hives and twice my arm has went numb from going to a different site. it does go away but i am wondering if this is associated from missing at all.. thanks

Post Quality Evaluations:
Use 'swim'(someone who isn't me) in future matey!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:48
Gold Member

There are a couple of other threads on this subject:

Arm going numb when shooting into wrist(sometimes)

Some Fingers Have Gone Numb

H

Last edited by Helene; 12-12-2009 at 20:31.
Old 17-11-2011, 09:35

Male from United States
fyouzz should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1

This just happened to SWIM, only the spot right around the injection site(classic inside elbow spot) became numb and a couple red bumps appeared but other than that SWIM's fine. He took some Benadryl and Advil just in case though.
Old 08-12-2011, 13:35
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
somnitek is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 213, Level: 2 Points: 213, Level: 2 Points: 213, Level: 2

I just thought I'd bump this because I'm having a similar problem to the OP now. Just did one, now the area is discolored and numb. I feel so stupid, it burned, but it was registering and I thought "to hell with it" and kept going little by little. Now I'm worried, with the discoloration, though. Will try to post a picture.

God, I've been doing this for YEARS and haven't EVER hit an artery... Wasn't even that deep! Could it really fucking be an artery, I'm wondering?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:36

29 y/o Male from Canada
kroogz is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyouzz View Post
This just happened to SWIM, only the spot right around the injection site(classic inside elbow spot) became numb and a couple red bumps appeared but other than that SWIM's fine. He took some Benadryl and Advil just in case though.
SWIM is surprised that no one mentioned the option of running the raised or white blotchy areas under the hottest water one can stand for 10 minutes or so. If missing is even a possibility SWIyou should definitely run the site under hot water for 10 minutes a few times with intervals of a few hours after the injection, this will help the solution dissipate under the skin and often will prevent/reduce bruising as well as other undesired effects on the general area.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:14
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
somnitek is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 213, Level: 2 Points: 213, Level: 2 Points: 213, Level: 2

SWIM adds:
"Pictures of (apparent) accidental arterial injection are attached.

FYI: When it first became apparent this had happened, it was the most scary thing that's ever happened to me while injecting (next to the Bell's palsy that I had occur in my left hand/wrist, which Thank God healed). It is CERTAINLY the most painful. I have had my leg up mostly for the last two or three days, and it only now is starting to feel a little better, but it looks like I better start taking some antibiotics.

This happened because I ignored two warning signs:
1) Despite registering, it BURNED TERRIBLY upon trying to inject, but like a damn fool, I went ahead. The powerful sense of sincere regret was soon as apparent as the fact a serious mistake had been made.
2) The blood was obviously different, and very red, much like you'd expect arterial blood to be. The thing is, I didn't think I was deep enough to hit an artery. Word to the wise: If the shoe fits, and such... I wish I had stopped long enough to notice this, before the injection. I only noticed as it was leaking out my leg.

I hope this helps someone, but God forbid it happens to anyone else. I'd be happier if it helped someone avoid this mistake entirely. And of course, if it happens to you, GO TO A DOCTOR."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accd_artry_inj01.jpg (318.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg accd_artry_inj02.jpg (293.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg accd_artry_inj03.jpg (362.0 KB, 12 views)

Share this on:

Tags
heroin intravenous use, heroin iv, heroin iv use, heroin side effects, hit a nerve, hit an artery, injecting help, injecting heroin, intravenous help, intravenous heroin, intravenous use, missed heroin hits, missed shot, numb body parts, opioid, shooting heroin, swelling at injection site

» New Threads
Need help with...
Last post by LadySue
3 Replies, 77 Views
Colorado Deaths Stoke Worries...
Last post by Joe-(5-HTP)
2 Replies, 3 Views
An Awesome Trip & Awesome...
Last post by hunter19877
0 Replies, 1 Views
Dihydrocodeine dosage after opiate...
Last post by atv1