Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Heroin
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 24-08-2009, 12:33
Palladium Member

Male from Earth
Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.
Points: 4,296, Level: 9 Points: 4,296, Level: 9 Points: 4,296, Level: 9
Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3%
Re: "Cotton Fever" - Ever Had It? How To Avoid

Cotton fever is the real term pacman thinks. A dirty hit is pretty much the same thing he thinks but as SWIY have read thread it seems sometimes it can be alleviated by shooting more and sometimes it makes the agony ten times worse. This must mean that there are differing reasons for a dirty hit. Pacman thinks the more serious blood poisoning may be when it cannot be combatted with more heroin.
Old 24-08-2009, 17:27
R.I.P.

31 y/o Male from United States
dyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13
Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0%

SWIM didn't mind this cotton fever last time because he was also high as fuck. He was able to just put a blanket on him and pass out. SWIM could see how another hit, provided you cleaned all your shit first, would definitely help a "dirty hit."

Unfortunately this shit seems to happen mostly when you are out of dope and scrounging around for heroin molecules on all your works. Being dopesick before -that's when you are in for a fucking nightmare.
Old 31-08-2009, 14:12
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

29 y/o Male
somepunk007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Swim believes "cotton fever" to be in the water not the cotton. Swim believes it is a bacteria. Swim usually uses bottled water which he has never had a problem with. Last night Swim used water from the faucet and got the worst case of the fever he has gotten yet. Swim was throwing up and had a headache so bad that his vision was blurry. Swim has been reading people that dry their cotton out fully don't seem to get it, although swim would not recommend reusing cottons. When using clean purified water Swim has never got the fever. Any other thoughts on this? Swim has gotten the fever several times, and is almost certain it is in the water not the cotton.
Old 01-09-2009, 13:13
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
Helene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline Medline
Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9
Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by somepunk007 View Post
Swim believes "cotton fever" to be in the water not the cotton. Swim believes it is a bacteria. Swim usually uses bottled water which he has never had a problem with. Last night Swim used water from the faucet and got the worst case of the fever he has gotten yet. Swim was throwing up and had a headache so bad that his vision was blurry. Swim has been reading people that dry their cotton out fully don't seem to get it, although swim would not recommend reusing cottons. When using clean purified water Swim has never got the fever. Any other thoughts on this? Swim has gotten the fever several times, and is almost certain it is in the water not the cotton.
Found a great poster showing all the infection risks of using different types of water...trying to upload it, not having much luck atm..so will edit this post to show it as and when swim gets her act together and manages to include the picture in it!

Edit:
Ach screw it, just click here:

http://www.exchangesupplies.org/drug...ks_poster.html

Interestingly, it states that using bottled or distilled water is in fact less safe, in terms of viral and bacterial content, than using cold water out of the tap - this is, however, based on UK tap water.

Go on, click the link, check it out!

H

Last edited by Helene; 01-09-2009 at 13:40.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:21

Female
whateverdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1

Take some aspirin, it helps, now feel free to read the rest if you feel like it, but if you are reading this and are already shaking it might be too late, so hurry up and go take some aspirin and then come back to read the rest.
I have never written on one of these before but feel this is useful info so here goes, swim, and someone who is not my husband have had a long standing argument about this, one belief is a tiny foreign particle gets into the vein, the body tries to fight this as it would any infection, thus the fever, and other symptoms. The other is that someone washed the cotton too many times trying to get something from it, when all hopes are gone, although, it has been experienced long before a cotton has sat around wet to get all that fancy words answer I read.

So why do I write. If you have experienced this then you know it. It happens quickly, a sharp pain in the head, body shakes, fever, etc. If, and I say IF you catch it, the second you feel it coming, and I mean quick. Take some aspirin, regular aspirin, not Tylenol, or anything else. Excedrin will work cuz it has some aspirin in it. This will thin the blood, making the fight of the virus/bacteria/whatever the real cause is easier for the body and it will go away. BUT you gotta be quick. If you got this, then chances are you are a junkie, so take 4 or 5 aspirin, it won't kill ya, not 10, but ya know not 2 either. It works. SWIM gets it a lot!!!! it seems to happen more if you use a regular cotton ball vs. say a cig filter. For dillies use the top pulled off cig filter, for oxy use cotton from top of qtip, generic is better. Or also for dillies use cig filter, then q tip. If u use filter with oxy it clogs up way too often.

Back in the olden days, when swim tried to change crack to cocaine (yeah i know it's the same, whatever) with lemon juice or vinegar or something like that my memory is gone, using a cig filter would just get hard, and bam, no goodies, q tip, works good, BUT never use cotton ball, especially the REAL kind that has little specs of something in it, seeds or whatever it is, BAD NEWS cotton fever 50% of the time.

SO, YEP take 2 asprin and call em in the morning. SWIM's husband also believes a hot bath helps, but that's a pain in the butt when your body is shaking and hurting and shit, but whatever.

Remember, just cuz you have these symptoms doesn't mean you didn't get the dope. You still got it, you will not still be dope sick, think of a different excuse to do another one. A long time ago swim would waste some more to try to get rid of the fever, just take the aspirin and chalk it up to bummer for you. But you coulda missed the whole thing and got a nasty abscess, now that is Yucky.
Oh for that, as soon as you know you are getting an abscess, find some antibiotics, the kind from the dentist, of for a cut, zythromax is the best, start taking them right away. If you catch it fast enough, you might be able to skip that horrific experience, YICK.

Yes it's true I write a recovery blog, but I have relapsed, BUT, that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about, that just means, I'm still a hopeless fuckin junkie. But I support my habit legally with profits from my blog now instead of from stealing, like I did back in the day. Gotta Love IT!

Post Quality Evaluations:
Excellent first post
Old 12-09-2009, 21:09
Gold Member

Helene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline Medline
Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9
Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdude View Post
Oh for that, as soon as you know you are getting an abscess, find some antibiotics, the kind from the dentist, of for a cut, zythromax is the best, start taking them right away. If you catch it fast enough, you might be able to skip that horrific experience, YICK.

If you think you are getting an abscess, do not attempt to treat it yourself with dubiously procured antibiotics of any kind: Go straight to a doctor. You don't want to lose a limb/ die of septicemia, do you?

H

Good advice, its amazing how long people will walk around with their arms oozing before they go to the doctor.
Old 21-09-2009, 21:53

28 y/o Female
MsBrownstone is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 303, Level: 2 Points: 303, Level: 2 Points: 303, Level: 2

SIK just had her second episode of cotton fever a few weeks ago.. Absolutely awful. Fever of 103, uncontrollable shaking, teeth chattering, worst headache imaginable. It only lasted over night, thank heaven.
The first time it happened, it wasn't as severe.. This last time, SIK was on her second day without gear and decided to reuse her old cottons (she knows that this is a bad idea, anyway, but its hard not to when you feel like that...) Other people have said that it takes a few hours or so for cotton fever to take hold, but SIK started shaking and the fever registered almost immediately after the syringe was emptied.
Pretty miserable, this time SIK climbed into an almost boiling bathtub and stayed in it as long as she possibly could, and found the it was immensely helpful.
SIK hopes that that bit of advice might help someone else battling the fever in the future, because its the only thing that she knows of that helps at all.

MsBrownstone added 2 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

On the subject of cotton fever, some people have said that a nice clean shot will clear it up right away, and others have said it won't do a bit of good and will only waste it. Since SWIM has only had experience with cotton fever when she was out of gear, she hasn't been able to test this and was wondering if anyone had any opinions..

Last edited by MsBrownstone; 21-09-2009 at 21:53. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 28-09-2009, 14:02

32 y/o Female
just some chick is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 184, Level: 2 Points: 184, Level: 2 Points: 184, Level: 2

Swim's had cotton fever before it definitely sucks. The last two times swim shot up she had the same problem hours afterwards but the second time fingers on both hands going completely numb. She posted a thread on it but didn't think it was cotton fever, though she got directed here and after reading this thread she's thinking it's possible.
Swim was sloppy with her prep and reused her cotton the first time but not the second though swim was wondering what swiy thinks of reusing cookers. She didn't clean her cooker in between shots so she's wondering if it's possible the bacteria from the reused cotton the first time could have still been in the cooker causing the problem she had the second time, especially since she couldn't get the rig to suck up all the dope, so what was left dried up on the cooker and could have been mixed in with her second shot. Thoughts?
Old 28-09-2009, 20:22
R.I.P.

31 y/o Male from United States
dyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13
Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBrownstone View Post
On the subject of cotton fever, some people have said that a nice clean shot will clear it up right away, and others have said it won't do a bit of good and will only waste it. Since SWIM has only had experience with cotton fever when she was out of gear, she hasn't been able to test this and was wondering if anyone had any opinions..
SWIM would normally get cotton fever when he was out of dope/options and using old ass cottons, but one time he did get it while having heroin. After he felt the freezing coldness and headache, he cleaned his shit and did another shot. It's hard to describe, it didn't make it go away, it just made SWIM not care or feel the pain from it. He just got really tired and put a couple blankets on him and went to sleep, and was fine.

So to answer your question, in SWIM's experience it doesn't really "clear" it, but just makes it not a big deal.
Old 30-09-2009, 12:03
Silver Member

Male from Austria
sweetstufflover is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1

SWIM can't understand how someone could be that dumb to recook old cottons. Even if they were dried immediately after use... used cottons are garbage and are supposed to be thrown away. Disgusting... people, don't do this. Weakening your withdrawals is not worth it. SWIM would rather be in withdrawal and pain for 2-3 days and get some fresh dope than cook his old cottons. He couldn't even cook old cottons as he throws them away immediately after use.

SWIM 10 days ago. He prepared a shot and when he loaded his syringe, he saw that he had to dilute the solution a little bit because he had cooked the stuff too long. He squirted it back on the spoon and added some cold tap water. He was too lazy to recook and loaded his syringe. Got a decent hit from it.

Two hours later, SWIM felt cold and "unhealthy". Something seemed wrong. He went to bed and couldn't fall asleep for about three hours. The next morning, he was in extreme pain, completely ill. He had already had some flu symptoms before the "dirty" shot (throat ached for example), so maybe the dirty shot just triggered the desease.
SWIM got very very ill. 39,5°C fever, worst pain (extreme back pain, kidneys did hurt a lot)... it was horrible.

Please be safe. And use your brain: A new, "clean" shot can't cure your desease. Cotton fever is an infection and must be treated. SWIM went to the doctor and said "I got ill... I think it's a bacterial infection" and got antibiotics. Heroin is no antibiotic, it's an opioid.

Calling people dumb for doing what the thread is talking about is useless, and non-constructive,
Unnecessarily insulting tone, and also some incorrect medical information
Good to insist on throwing away all used cottons, that way, there's no temptation to use them.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:49
Palladium Member

27 y/o Male from Canada
I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.
Points: 1,362, Level: 5 Points: 1,362, Level: 5 Points: 1,362, Level: 5
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Swim also use to get cotton fever with pills. Swim use to inject the 8mg hydromorphones(dilaudid). It is painfull indeed. I recall swim saying that the worse part is the shivers, because swims teeth would chatter so hard, and for so long, that after even 10 minutes of straight teeth chatter and shakes, it would give a massive headache. Swim use to get rid of it by eating twice as much as he injected(Don't do what swim did!). It worked for swim but swim never condone's his metheds for relieving anything painful, as he has minimal patience, and will do whatever it takes to stop it, especially cotton fever. Again, swim does not condone this behavior as it has moderate to high risk of overdose for some. Anyways swim just wanted to add that this happened with his pills as well as dope.
Old 05-10-2009, 18:04
Silver Member

Male from United States
electros[h]ock_patient is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by just some chick View Post
Swim's had cotton fever before it definitely sucks. The last two times swim shot up she had the same problem hours afterwards but the second time fingers on both hands going completely numb. She posted a thread on it but didn't think it was cotton fever, though she got directed here and after reading this thread she's thinking it's possible.
Swim was sloppy with her prep and reused her cotton the first time but not the second though swim was wondering what swiy thinks of reusing cookers. She didn't clean her cooker in between shots so she's wondering if it's possible the bacteria from the reused cotton the first time could have still been in the cooker causing the problem she had the second time, especially since she couldn't get the rig to suck up all the dope, so what was left dried up on the cooker and could have been mixed in with her second shot. Thoughts?
Swim is surprised to hear that swiy injected and got some numb fingers in BOTH hands. Often numbing of a part of the body is just a symptom of a missed/partially missed shot pooling in an area where nerves are bundled (leading to feeling a numbess for a certain amount of time).

Swim thinks he has good technique and still suffers this on occasion --- he believes that often needle tips can simultaneously be both inside a vein and out which will both get inside the vein and miss. Swim is also considering the idea that maybe swiy already has bad circulation, possibly even some collapsed/unusable veins in the arms in which case missing or cotton fever might exacerbate an already existing problem?

Swim also definitely wants to cry out, yes, always clean your cooker out (or get a new one and clean that too)! Refrain from using "old cottons"; the dope that can be withdrawn to get high or stave off sickness is negligible, especially when weighed against one's health and propensity for getting "cotton fever" and possibly suffering any more serious, deadly, or long-lasting after effects. Not that this should be "common sense", but everyone should at least follow these guidelines. Other FAQs, like about water quality/safety is good reading as well... http://www.exchangesupplies.org/drug...ks_poster.html

Last edited by electros[h]ock_patient; 05-10-2009 at 18:07. Reason: added water safety url
Old 07-10-2009, 01:06
Silver Member

34 y/o Male from United Kingdom
BumpBump is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 165, Level: 2 Points: 165, Level: 2 Points: 165, Level: 2
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

dirty hit is bad... but swim has never had chance to try another hit... as it usualy at the the end of a session when swim has been scraping round and has no other drugs to play with
Old 07-10-2009, 15:23
Silver Member

24 y/o Male
Odie2Short is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1

I dont know if it is off topic but, swim shot up with dirty water once and got very sick, headach , fever, ach and pains. But it only laster for 3 hours MAX. Now when swim lets his water sit in his room for long enough , he gets a mild sickness. Could this be from the water actually getting dirty? (The 1st dirty water was because I had put out a cig in it and didnt notice... Make sure you never do that!) I dont know, Jsut wondering because it sucks ass. swim is just very anal about having clean water,needels,cotton, and spoon.. Swim doesnt get how junkies can share shit no matter how sick they are... and swim has been on opaites for 4 years.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:17

Female from United States
Sniffin Sunshine is captain of the psychonauts.Sniffin Sunshine is captain of the psychonauts.Sniffin Sunshine is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 355, Level: 3 Points: 355, Level: 3 Points: 355, Level: 3

swim is really worried now cause she has never gotten cotton fever in the 2 years she has been injecting and it was clearly luck that kept her from it because
unfortunately, swim never buys bottled water as she is on a junkie budget, and before her most recent relapse, swims sanitation techniques were.. well pretty much rinsing out the syringe with sink water after use.. and thats it. she did all sorts of nasty things like using old cottons she had stored in her wallet, not in a dry place, and shooting with water thats been sitting in a cup in her room for days.

also,
on top of all that, swim is going to be out of gear again tomorrow unless she can convince her dealer its her birthday.
lol, hoping he wont remember the "birthday" she had last january, but its worth a shot... litereally
so anyway swim will be very tempted to use her old cottons tomorrow but she does have to say thank you very much for this topic as now she is more educated on cotton fever and will be sure to practice better sanitation techniques from now on.
and on second thought swim thinks she will throw out those old cottons now while shes still got a nod to prevent the temptation tomorrow.. even though i know she will be cursing herself for doing it if her plan doesnt work

swims still hoping to be that one junkie that never has to get cotton fever
Old 12-10-2009, 13:44
Silver Member

Male from United States
electros[h]ock_patient is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie2Short View Post
I dont know if it is off topic but, swim shot up with dirty water once and got very sick, headach , fever, ach and pains. But it only laster for 3 hours MAX. Now when swim lets his water sit in his room for long enough , he gets a mild sickness. Could this be from the water actually getting dirty? (The 1st dirty water was because I had put out a cig in it and didnt notice... Make sure you never do that!) I dont know, Jsut wondering because it sucks ass. swim is just very anal about having clean water,needels,cotton, and spoon.. Swim doesnt get how junkies can share shit no matter how sick they are... and swim has been on opaites for 4 years.
Absolutely dirty water/stagnate water. If anyone wants to follow the link provided before (PLEASE GO TO IT, exchange supply dot org above) they can clearly see what water is best for use.

Just start from the top and find a water source closest to completely green in the circle. Boiling tap water from a kitchen sink is best on a "junkie budget" as it would seem according to this source! It's apparently cheaper than getting bottled water and slightly better (distilled water doesn't have to be clean as water for consumption, which is why its cheaper and more dangerous than boiled/kitchen tap).

Anyway, sanitation doesn't have to cost a lot. "Borrow" some soap from somewhere if you need detergent for cleaning a pot to boil water in... and boil your own tap for use, always!

electros[h]ock_patient added 22 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniffin Sunshine View Post
swim is really worried now cause she has never gotten cotton fever in the 2 years she has been injecting and it was clearly luck that kept her from it because
unfortunately, swim never buys bottled water as she is on a junkie budget, and before her most recent relapse, swims sanitation techniques were.. well pretty much rinsing out the syringe with sink water after use.. and thats it. she did all sorts of nasty things like using old cottons she had stored in her wallet, not in a dry place, and shooting with water thats been sitting in a cup in her room for days.

also,
on top of all that, swim is going to be out of gear again tomorrow unless she can convince her dealer its her birthday.
lol, hoping he wont remember the "birthday" she had last january, but its worth a shot... litereally
so anyway swim will be very tempted to use her old cottons tomorrow but she does have to say thank you very much for this topic as now she is more educated on cotton fever and will be sure to practice better sanitation techniques from now on.
and on second thought swim thinks she will throw out those old cottons now while shes still got a nod to prevent the temptation tomorrow.. even though i know she will be cursing herself for doing it if her plan doesnt work

swims still hoping to be that one junkie that never has to get cotton fever
Ever thought about MMT (methadone maintenance treatment)? Its a lot cheaper than a "street level supply" and holds one longer than 6-8 hours. 24 at least, in a proper setting. Also, if the right clinic is found there are ways to still enjoy the effect of IV use. Typically this might be considered "diverting" and frowned upon by some---esp. clinicians---but, that is of a calculated concern (which needs further explanation obviously).

Swim safely diverts methadone intravenously, and besides working like a charm (for the rush effect), it helps him avoid oral ingestion which is hard on his stomach.

If interested, swim would simply share what particular substance formulation to look for, and what sort of clinic it typically would be found in. If not, no biggie. Swim likes to think of it as a "legal", safe alternative to street level doping is all.

Last edited by electros[h]ock_patient; 19-10-2009 at 11:14. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-10-2009, 16:02
Titanium Member

33 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Dicemanstyle is a decent psychonaut.Dicemanstyle is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 341, Level: 2 Points: 341, Level: 2 Points: 341, Level: 2
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

the dice have had cotton fever a few times, not nice. Now they wash their filters straight after cooking. And leave in syringe normally till morning to shoot. If left longer just take out and recook to kill off bacteria. Wheel filters are definately a good idea too for cookin filters.
Old 14-10-2009, 23:40
Banned

Male
Picass035 is a decent psychonaut.Picass035 is a decent psychonaut.

An important tip to anyone who saves used cottonballs: NEVER leave 'em out in the air!! A good way to keep their "freshness" is to keep them in the freezer.

What happens when they are left out is bacteria/fungi start growing on them. Sure, they can be killed off by boiling the hell out of them, but that won't get rid of any of the SPORES. Spores can make you sick like there's no tomorrow.

Before SWIM was smart enough to start using the freezer to save his old cottonballs, he'd keep em in a sealed jar (even worse). One day he decided to squeeze them out and thought that by boiling the solution for 5 mins it would "keep the fever at bay". Needless to say, SWIM started blacking out and throwing up within 45 mins. It got so bad that he had to be hospitalized. The cause? Blood infection brought on by fungal SPORES..

The freezer. It may just save your life.

Great tip, thanks a lot.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:46
Silver Member

28 y/o Female from USA - Massachusetts
Sickpeache is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1
Possibly preventing/reducing risk of cottin fever??

When people get cotton fever is it from the actual cotton or the bacteria that grows in the cottons? Because the cotton is wet/damp, and has alot of surface area. I assumed it was the bacteria. If it IS the bacteria, what if one was to blow dry their cotton IMMEDIATELY after use? (with the cool setting, as heat destroys most opiates, or causes them to lose potency) Before bacteria had a chance to form. It may interfere with enjoying the nod, but hey, if it allows one to more safely save and use their cottons for later use when rattling, it seems worth it to swim. Does this sound plausible or is swim completely off the mark here? Anyone have any opinions?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:01
Gold Member

Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.
Points: 7,319, Level: 12 Points: 7,319, Level: 12 Points: 7,319, Level: 12
Re: Possibly preventing/reducing risk of cottin fever??

SwiPeache,

Swim would eat her hat if a quick blow-dry and set would kill the bacteria; not cold enough for starters, and yes- it is the bacteria that causes the problem.
There's a few threads on cotton fever, and also one about the safest filters to use:
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69686
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...t=cotton+fever
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...t=cotton+fever

I guess we take this risk with the territory! I found a little helpful article on the net, so here it is:

Different Definitions

Just about every information source provides a slightly different cause for this ailment. The US government drug glossary, for example, defines cotton fever as, "Critically high temperature associated with accidentally injecting cotton fibers into the blood stream." Other proposed causes include "dirt in Mexican heroin" and fiberglass in cigarette filters. The connection between almost all the explanations is that cotton fever is caused by some kind of particulate matter that is injected into the blood stream. This is not really true.
Symptoms

There are a lot of different unintended things that happen to IV drugs users: hitting arteries and nerves, abscesses, blood clots. Cotton fever has specific symptoms that differentiate it from other ailments: fever, chills, and shortness of breath. In Europe, cotton fever is commonly called "the shakes"--a reference to another common symptom of cotton fever. Those with this ailment often experience violent shaking or shivering.
These symptoms normally occur immediately following an injection, but there are reports of lags up to an hour in length.
Course

Under most circumstances, cotton fever is relatively benign. It is possible for it to turn into something more serious such as pneumonia; the user should watch for this, and seek medical attention if the fever does not go away. Normally however, the symptoms disappear after a couple of hours or less.
The Cause of Cotton Fever

Cotton plants are heavily colonized by a strain of bacteria known as E. Agglomerans. This bacterium causes mischief in the pulmonary system of the body which results in the symptoms of cotton fever. This was first noted in the early 1940s with farm workers who breathed in large quantities of unprocessed cotton.
Most injection drug users utilize small pieces of cotton to filter particulate matter from their drug solution before they inject. It is possible for this to introduce small amounts of E. Agglomerans into the solution. When it is administered intravenously, this small quantity of bacteria can be enough to cause cotton fever.
It is commonly believed that it is something about the solid state of the material (cotton or other) that causes the effects of the fever. This is not so; it is the bacteria found in the cotton. It is certainly true, however, that injecting a cotton fiber which will be broken down in the blood stream is a good way to deliver large amounts of the bacteria into the blood stream.
Avoiding Cotton Fever

It is impossible to completely avoid cotton fever except by not using cotton to filter drug solutions. This should not be used as an excuse to avoid filtering your solution--or for using a poor substitute. In most cases, cotton is the best thing to use for this purpose. Cotton fever is a fairly minor ailment, whereas the particulate matter filtered by the cotton can be deadly.
To minimize the risk of cotton fever, boil the cotton before it is used for filtration. This should kill the bacteria that cause this ailment. But this is no guarantee. Bacteria can be hard to kill.
In addition to boiling your cotton, make sure that you do not re-use your cotton. There are lots of reasons to avoid this practice, and only one is to avoid cotton fever. Old cottons break down, making it more likely that a fiber will be drawn into your syringe.
The main thing to remember about cotton fever is that under most circumstances, it is not very harmful. So take what precautions you can, and learn to live with the remaining risk.
Dealing with Cotton Fever

If the fever persists, it should be treated with antibiotics. But this is rarely necessary. In most instances it is best to simply let the fever run its course. You can almost assure that cotton fever will have a minor effect on your body by keeping yourself in shape. Make sure that you eat regularly, get a little exercise, and take vitamins. This will also help you fight off any other ailments resulting from your drug use.
References

If you are really interested in this subject, you might start by reading the following articles. Be advised, however, these are scientific papers, written for scientists trained in biology and medicine. They are tough reading--almost requiring reference to Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary a few times per sentence. The first article is a little more readable than the second.
D. W. Harrison and R. M. Walls, "'Cotton Fever': a benign febrile syndrome in intravenous drug abusers [sic.]", Journal of Emergency Medicine, March-April 1990, pp. 135-139R. Ferguson, C. Feeney, and V. A. Chirurgi, "Enterobacter agglomerans--associated with cotton fever", Archives of Internal Medicine, October 25, 1993, pp. 2381-2382.(heroinhelper)

Great post! Informative and to the point. There's a lot of myths associated with cotton fever.

Last edited by Cooki; 09-11-2009 at 08:16. Reason: remove link
Old 09-11-2009, 08:14
Gold Member

Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.Cooki really knows their shit.
Points: 7,319, Level: 12 Points: 7,319, Level: 12 Points: 7,319, Level: 12

Found a pretty comprehensive article whilst researching for another post, so I thought I'd post it here for swiy guys (!). It's basically a 'cotton fever' 101. BTW, swim had never heard of cotton fever until on DF; when she's had it, it was just referred to as a 'dirt dig' and nobody much cared how it happened, so long as it went away. Infact, swim would just like some clarification- are these the same thing? (Is it only in the UK we refer to dirty digs?). Swim's symptoms (all everyone she knew who'd had it) were just a horrendous headache that makes swiy wish you were dead?!
Anyway, here's the article, hope it adds something:

Different Definitions
Just about every information source provides a slightly different cause for this ailment. A leading US government drug glossary, for example, defines cotton fever as, "Critically high temperature associated with accidentally injecting cotton fibers into the blood stream." Other proposed causes include "dirt in Mexican heroin" and fiberglass in cigarette filters. The connection between almost all the explanations is that cotton fever is caused by some kind of particulate matter that is injected into the blood stream. This is not really true.

Symptoms
There are a lot of different unintended things that happen to IV drugs users: hitting arteries and nerves, abscesses, blood clots. Cotton fever has specific symptoms that differentiate it from other ailments: fever, chills, and shortness of breath. In Europe, cotton fever is commonly called "the shakes"--a reference to another common symptom of cotton fever. Those with this ailment often experience violent shaking or shivering.
These symptoms normally occur immediately following an injection, but there are reports of lags up to an hour in length.

Course
Under most circumstances, cotton fever is relatively benign. It is possible for it to turn into something more serious such as pneumonia; the user should watch for this, and seek medical attention if the fever does not go away. Normally however, the symptoms disappear after a couple of hours or less.

The Cause of Cotton Fever
Cotton plants are heavily colonized by a strain of bacteria known as E. Agglomerans. This bacterium causes mischief in the pulmonary system of the body which results in the symptoms of cotton fever. This was first noted in the early 1940s with farm workers who breathed in large quantities of unprocessed cotton.
Most injection drug users utilize small pieces of cotton to filter particulate matter from their drug solution before they inject. It is possible for this to introduce small amounts of E. Agglomerans into the solution. When it is administered intravenously, this small quantity of bacteria can be enough to cause cotton fever.
It is commonly believed that it is something about the solid state of the material (cotton or other) that causes the effects of the fever. This is not so; it is the bacteria found in the cotton. It is certainly true, however, that injecting a cotton fiber which will be broken down in the blood stream is a good way to deliver large amounts of the bacteria into the blood stream.

Avoiding Cotton Fever
It is impossible to completely avoid cotton fever except by not using cotton to filter drug solutions. This should not be used as an excuse to avoid filtering your solution--or for using a poor substitute. In most cases, cotton is the best thing to use for this purpose. Cotton fever is a fairly minor ailment, whereas the particulate matter filtered by the cotton can be deadly.
To minimize the risk of cotton fever, boil the cotton before it is used for filtration. This should kill the bacteria that cause this ailment. But this is no guarantee. Bacteria can be hard to kill.
In addition to boiling your cotton, make sure that you do not re-use your cotton. There are lots of reasons to avoid this practice, and only one is to avoid cotton fever. Old cottons break down, making it more likely that a fiber will be drawn into your syringe.
The main thing to remember about cotton fever is that under most circumstances, it is not very harmful. So take what precautions you can, and learn to live with the remaining risk.

Dealing with Cotton Fever
If the fever persists, it should be treated with antibiotics. But this is rarely necessary. In most instances it is best to simply let the fever run its course. You can almost assure that cotton fever will have a minor effect on your body by keeping yourself in shape. Make sure that you eat regularly, get a little exercise, and take vitamins. This will also help you fight off any other ailments resulting from your drug use.

References
If you are really interested in this subject, you might start by reading the following articles. Be advised, however, these are scientific papers, written for scientists trained in biology and medicine. They are tough reading--almost requiring reference to Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary a few times per sentence. The first article is a little more readable than the second.
D. W. Harrison and R. M. Walls, "'Cotton Fever': a benign febrile syndrome in intravenous drug abusers [sic.]", Journal of Emergency Medicine, March-April 1990, pp. 135-139R. Ferguson, C. Feeney, and V. A. Chirurgi, "Enterobacter agglomerans--associated with cotton fever", Archives of Internal Medicine, October 25, 1993, pp. 2381-2382.
article from: heroinhelper.com

Last edited by Cooki; 09-11-2009 at 08:15. Reason: remove link
Old 09-11-2009, 20:02
Silver Member

28 y/o Female from USA - Massachusetts
Sickpeache is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1
Re: Possibly preventing/reducing risk of cottin fever??

Ok first, swim never realised how smart some junkies were until she came to this forum. 2nd, Swim is not one of the smart ones, so she didnt understand all of that.
So is the bacteria on the cotton BEFORE swiWe use it as a filter? Or does it grow there after swiWe get it wet. Because swim thought bacteria 'liked' damp places, and if SwiWe dried it with a hair blow dryer, then the bacteria wouldnt b able to reproduce so easily. I know it wouldnt be 100% but maybe help a little

What if one got it dry via hair dryer then put in in a ziplock/freezer back and tossed in in the freezer? Do that everytime (seperate bags), then when someone is out of gear, they have a nice little collection of frozen cottons they can boil up.

Im sorry if swim sounds like an idiot, she is just trying figure this stuff out.

Sickpeache added 8 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Just to clarify, swims not talking about re-using cottons, but stomping them later, when desperate

good question on if the bateria's there before or after!

Last edited by Sickpeache; 09-11-2009 at 20:02. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-11-2009, 14:31
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

The bacteria is on the cotton when dry - it grows on it in the field, iirc.

You can get "cotton fever" from that bacteria, even if the cotton has never been used before (it's happened to my best friend). You can get "cotton fever" from reusing cottons (which, Sickpeache, includes both using the same one to filter 2 separate shots *OR* saving cottons for stomping on later when sick). I'm not sure if these "cotton fevers" are caused by the same bacteria or not, but the end result is the same, so that's not so important to me!

Drying them out would *probably* help, but like I said, the very second it gets wet, the bacteria starts to grow.

IF one were to save cottons (which we all know is dangerous, but we all also live in the real world of heroin addiction & have done it before), drying them out at much as possible before storing them would help, as well as giving them a quick boil in your cooker of choice right before reusing them.

My best friend says she never had cottons to reuse later, though - she was a greedy little bitch and would squeeze as much as she could out of it during shot #1, add a few units of water to the squeezed cotton & draw up again! Heh. Drove her nuts during withdrawal, but (generally, not always) kept her from trying to reuse her cottons. *giggle*

~Kailey
Old 11-11-2009, 10:29
Silver Member

35 y/o Male from United States
junkville is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1

Swim must have gotten very lucky as well. He shot dope for 5 years without ever experiencing cotton fever.

Believe me, he did everything that has been stated not to do in this thread and more. Maybe some people have an immunity to it or something.
Old 11-11-2009, 14:57
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingtomorrow View Post
Telling someone they can avoid cotton fever by not shooting their cottons is not helpful information, because everyone already knows that. It's almost insultingly patronizing. Even someone who doesn't know the first thing about Heroin would instantly be able to figure out that if there is a such a thing as "cotton fever" that you can get from cottons, you could avoid it by not using old cottons. Pretty much a redundant and pointless thing to say.
Not to mention, you can get cotton fever from a brand new cotton with a nice fresh helping of opioid-of-choice - happened to my best friend on her 5th shot ever. She got it again later that day using a piece of cotton from the same cotton ball, which she promptly tossed in the bin after, realizing that it was the source of the problem.

Says she somehow never got it again, even with some seriously dodgy injection hygiene habits during a particular period of being hardcore strung out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helene View Post
This is just the same as what we brits all a dirty or bad hit, right? Something in the gear/ water/ filter/ spoon causing a septic attack in your bloodstream, leading on to all the general symptons of (an albeit mild) blood-poisoning/ septicemia (shivering, thumping head-ache etc).
Cotton fever is a MILD version of septicemia!??!?!?!?!

D00D, cotton fever hurts soooooooooooooo bad! It's hard to imagine something even worse...

~Kailey

Share this on:

Tags
cotton fever, cotton reuse, cotton use, dirty hits, heroin and bacteria, heroin bacteria, heroin iv, injecting, injecting heroin, intravenous heroin, iv heroin, reuse cottons, risks of iv drug use, safer injecting, shooting heroin