Register Tags

Notices

Old 23-02-2008, 22:02
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

28 y/o Male
upperdecker is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Adderall for social anxiety (social phobia)

SWIM use to use Adderall for his social phobia and it worked like a miracle. His social phobia has gotten to the point where its rediculous and excruiating. SWIM has been on numerous anti-anxiety/depression meds and is currently on clonazepam. How would SWIM get this prescribed?
Old 23-02-2008, 23:22
R.I.P.

Female from United States
moda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medline
Points: 3,393, Level: 8 Points: 3,393, Level: 8 Points: 3,393, Level: 8
Re: Adderall for social anxiety (social phobia)

For many people stimulants can induce more anxiety.. but I can see how the specific nature of social phobia could be specifically aided by amps in some cases, and of course every individual responds differently to medications.

Swiy will get differing answers on whether or not it's okay to bring up swiy's experience with adderall to one's doctor- in general doc's like to be the ones doing the diagosing and prescribing, and of course admitting to using an Rx drug without a script could put them in an awkward position.. On the other hand, one wants to be honest with their doc, and it is important for the doc to know what meds they are on or have tried, and what is most helpful to them..

There is no one right answer, and this likely depends a lot on swiyour specific medical and personal history- any drug abuse the doc knows about? Has swiy had an overall good relationship with this doc? Known them well enough to feel out their attitudes on prescribing, patient responsibilities, willingness to listen, etc.?

Swim would say the best way to approach this depends a lot on the specific scenario- does the clonazepam help at all? Does swiy trust that s/he could bring this up to the doc without begative response? Of course being told no isn't the end of the world, as doctors may not feel certain drugs are appropriate for certain individuals or certain conditions, or may feel the risks outweigh the benefits.. that's their judgment call, and that's fine.. but on the other hand, one wouldn't want the doc to go beyond simply deciding against that specific treatment, and punishing swiy in some way, by accusing one of abusing the med, or refusing to continue treatment with anything.. hopefully most doctors are much more compassionate than this, and would not treat anyone in such a way, but swim has seen it, so be careful.

Only swiy knows for sure what their doc is like, swiy's own history, etc. and whether the potential gains in treatment outweigh the risks. Swim wishes everyone could be honest with their doctor, but the stigma of controlled substances and the thin line of legality puts a lot of undue pressure on everyone given the current legal and social situation.. A possible approach could be to say that the current med is not helping (is it?) or that it is too sedating (is it?) or whatever- make it about the current med, and not the amphetamines, if that is accurate and one is having trouble with the current med. If, however, the current med is helping, swim would not want to tell the doc it wasn't and take a shot in the dark hoping for a specific med- that's unlikely because amphetamine type drugs (Adderall etc.) are not approved for these disorders as far as I know- of course that doesn't mean they can't be prescribed for any condition as the Dr. sees fit (here in the US, at least), but this is not likely to be the first med a doctor suggests for an anxiety disorder, simply becase it is not labelled as such, and because it is known to increase anxiety in some people. If there is a way to bring this up in the context of having been prescribed the med (Adderall) before, or trying it only once, or a looong time ago, do it that way, and don't ask for a specific drug r dosage- just say that you had Adderall, don't know exactly how much or what brand or whanot.

Hope that helps- again, swiy must feel out his/her own doctor and needs before proceeding- let us know more details about the doc, about past meds and how/if they helped, and maybe someone can give swiyou more specific advice?

Post Quality Evaluations:
great post dude
Old 23-02-2008, 23:57

28 y/o Male

SWIMS never told his doctor he's done any drugs before. The clonazepam doesn't work anymore so SWIMS been trying to get off the drug. SWIM went 4 days without it and couldn't take the withdrawal so he remains on it. SWIM did get a scrpt for Ritalin from him once but he said it was just gonna be a temporary thing. SWIM specifically asked for Adderall (SWIM was telling him how bad everything is and what a rut SWIM is in) but he claimed that Ritalin is a little more "smooth".
Old 24-02-2008, 00:05

28 y/o Male

or what if swim just prints this http://www.revolutionhealth.com/drug...xiety-disorder out and show him?
Old 25-02-2008, 01:54

Male
KillroyMindless is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1

SWIM had a nurse practitioner that told SWIM that adderal was around two times stronger than ritalin. Sustained relase adderal could also beconsidered "smooth". the nurse practitioner who prescribed SWIM adderall is over50 and also put SWIM on other "not SWIM friendly meds." but the new one said that adderal also has some affect as an antiedepressent. This SWIM can understand in you because it helped SWIM socaily to SWIM not sure how but its almost relaxing to SWIM. but SWIM thinks adderall works on dopamin not seratonin go by a docter because SWIM is not sure and does not know large amounts about these meds just some of their potential
Old 25-02-2008, 02:21
Gold Member

Male from United States
staples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medline
Points: 3,146, Level: 8 Points: 3,146, Level: 8 Points: 3,146, Level: 8
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillroyMindless View Post
SWIM had a nurse practitioner that told SWIM that adderal was around two times stronger than ritalin. Sustained relase adderal could also beconsidered "smooth". the nurse practitioner who prescribed SWIM adderall is over50 and also put SWIM on other "not SWIM friendly meds." but the new one said that adderal also has some affect as an antiedepressent. This SWIM can understand in you because it helped SWIM socaily to SWIM not sure how but its almost relaxing to SWIM. but SWIM thinks adderall works on dopamin not seratonin go by a docter because SWIM is not sure and does not know large amounts about these meds just some of their potential
Adderall works mostly on dopamine and norapenepherine, but does have some affinity for seratonin receptors and is sometimes prescribed alongside an SSRI or even SSNRI to treat depression. I don't know if adderall is prescribed in and of itself for depression; I think if it were, it would be off-label.

I really don't know how to think about the "smooth" description... Adderall should raise dopamine levels moreso than MPH, I believe, but that doesn't always translate to effectiveness or "smootheness," it depends on the person.

I've been warned by doctors when being prescribed to adderall or concerta that they might agrivate my anxiety (which is only sometimes social), but I find that it helps me realize and therapeutically work myself out of an anxiety attack, or at least decrease the severity. Overall, I find my anxiety is lessened by adderall or MPH (so far the only one's I've been prescribed, switching meds next week hopefully). However, stimulants agrivate anxiety in people more often than not, so be careful.
Old 29-02-2008, 20:26

Male from United States
HelloToAll is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1

swim's doc has no problem prescribing adderall (actually he increased the amount without me saying anything, probably a mistake but it has stayed at the higher dosage) for adhd, and then halcion & ambien (switch every couple days for tolerance) for sleep (not because of the adderall, for insomnia), but for anxiety/depression/panic for the last year has insisted on trying every SSRI/SSNRI/SNRI out there despite non have done anything, but will not prescribe benzos (xanax/klon/clon/etc.) for it, and the only thing that will really help the anxiety/depr/panic is to take more adderall

all doc's have their preferences as to what they are more than willing or reluctant to prescribe for different things
Old 01-03-2008, 19:45

28 y/o Male

Would it be ok if SWIM flat out asks for Adderall? SWIM even printed out some of those online ADD/ADHD tests saying that SWIM has a somewhat mild form of ADD/ADHD. SWIM doesn't bounce off the walls and hardly talks in public but he has literally no motivation or attention span. SWIM has books he would like to read but can only read about 10 pages and then have to stop for some reason. He also always has to move his hands or feet and his mind always wanders.
Old 02-03-2008, 22:24

28 y/o Male

Any suggestions from anyone? Should SWIM tell his doc. that he has taken Adderall before to self medicate? SWIM feels that he really needs Adderall. Oh, and if noone posts anything I'll let the thread die this time.
Old 02-03-2008, 22:30

Male
KillroyMindless is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by staples View Post
Adderall works mostly on dopamine and norapenepherine, but does have some affinity for seratonin receptors and is sometimes prescribed alongside an SSRI or even SSNRI to treat depression. I don't know if adderall is prescribed in and of itself for depression; I think if it were, it would be off-label.

I really don't know how to think about the "smooth" description... Adderall should raise dopamine levels moreso than MPH, I believe, but that doesn't always translate to effectiveness or "smootheness," it depends on the person.

I've been warned by doctors when being prescribed to adderall or concerta that they might agrivate my anxiety (which is only sometimes social), but I find that it helps me realize and therapeutically work myself out of an anxiety attack, or at least decrease the severity. Overall, I find my anxiety is lessened by adderall or MPH (so far the only one's I've been prescribed, switching meds next week hopefully). However, stimulants agrivate anxiety in people more often than not, so be careful.
ture. for me it would lessen my anxiety socialy because i wanted to get up and do something and talk and be around people even if it would raise my hart beat and sometimes make me nervous it usually helped mroe than hurt.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:38
Gold Member

27 y/o Male from United States
GForce really adds to the discussion.GForce really adds to the discussion.GForce really adds to the discussion.GForce really adds to the discussion.GForce really adds to the discussion.GForce really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,159, Level: 5 Points: 1,159, Level: 5 Points: 1,159, Level: 5

It really varies with doctors when it comes to mentioning self-medication. Some doctors will be happy to prescribe it if you tell them you've taken it before and it works, and I've encountered doctors like that, who believe if it works and you're healthy enough to take it, than why not take it. On the other hand, I have encountered doctors who would label someone as a high risk to abuse drugs based on occasional marijuana use. My best advice would be, when discussing treatment options, to mention that you have a friend with ADHD who takes Adderall for it with a lot of success. For me, I had family members who were diagnosed with ADHD and took Adderall so I told my doctor that, but I wouldn't suggest you say something like that and lie to the doctor about family history.
Old 03-03-2008, 20:01
Palladium Member

OhCasey is on the way upOhCasey is on the way upOhCasey is on the way up
Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2

Me personally I've had lots of Doc's perscribe me narcotic pain meds and i would never tell a doctor i've used perscription meds illegally, but ive never had a doc that would be cool enough to understand self medicating. Theres a thread in the opiate forum called "INSIDER INFORMATION: Opiate Prescriptions. CRAWL INSIDE YOUR DOC'S HEAD!!!"and even though its about pain pills you still might find it useful. I'd tell the doc that you did research and found out that adderall helps outsocial anxiety or that you have a friend with the same disorder who suggested to you that you take adderall for it.
Old 03-03-2008, 20:14

28 y/o Male

Thanks alot, you guys have been more than helpful. I'd hug you if I could (no homo). Oh, and I've been wondering, do we not have to say SWIM or SWIY anymore? Most posts I've seen lately have no SWIM or SWIY.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:56
Palladium Member

OhCasey is on the way upOhCasey is on the way upOhCasey is on the way up
Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2

If youre talking about snorting some addy or doing illegal drugs then use swim. But if youre talking about using a legal script as advised by the doc then theres no reason to but you still can.

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, aderall, adhd, amphetamine, amphetamines, anxiety, anxiety disorder, dopamine, drugs, drugs-forum, illegal drugs, legal drugs, mississippi, social anxiety, social phobia, xanax