Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 14-02-2014, 07:34

22 y/o Female from United States
Kiwimuffin is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%
Getting clean off heroin, what can I expect?

So I know this will sound silly, but for the past week I've been using heroin every day but one and that one was after 2 days of using and I felt uncomfortable, unable to sleep and in pain the night I went without all day. Now I feel uncomfortable when it leaves my system but I'm almost constantly at least slightly uncomfortable anyways. I haven't been able to eat and I've been IV'ing (long story there, I've used other substances using the IV route before) since day one, multiple times per day..so it didn't take long to become physical. I also have an addictive personality.
I decided to get clean, with the help from my significant other. What can I expect? Most i've felt was sweaty, shaky, exhausted then unable to sleep and very tense when i feel it wear off but usually i go a couple hours, five max, before I do it again now once I feel sick. Will it be worse comparing the beginning of withdrawal to the next day? Should I take days off from school? I'm in college. How do I explain it to them? I'll be in bed most likely, and i won't be able to relapse. I'm done. I can't do this anymore. I don't know why I gave into curiosity because it sucked me in worse than I thought possible. After a bit over a week! How it's possible, I don't know.. I've read it isn't but the way I feel when i'm sober is horrible so clearly it is. Detox/medications isn't possible and this soon into an addiction I feel I can kick it with little trouble, but want to know what is reasonable to expect from it anyways.
And when I'll be able to eat because on it I can barely eat if at all.. It's not good. I'm so hungry, but can't eat. None of the "Friends" I use with have had that problem, so I'm not sure. Food just sounds awful to me and I'm feeling weak from hunger alone but can't physically consume anything without feeling knots in my stomach.
I'll update this as I go, too. Which is why it's tagged journal
Old 14-02-2014, 08:01
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
stayZOOTY is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7%
Re: Getting clean off heroin, what can I expect?

I really don't think you're physically addicted. Mentally, sure, but I've been addicted on and off to various opiates since I was 16 years old and never have I been or seen someone become physically addicted in a week of use. The anxiety and cravings when a dose wears off will come, but that's all in your head. While it sucks, be glad you aren't physically addicted and (excuse the metaphor) aren't a fountain coming out both ends. The best OTC remedy I've found is loperamide, but it IME doesn't touch the mental cravings, just the horrible physical side effects.

As I'm sure you can see, opiates and especially IV heroin aren't to be taken lightly, and as you can see you're at the turning point where it goes from bad to REALLY bad. Just jump off completely tonight, skip class tomorrow, and by Monday you should be feeling pretty back to normal. For me, hours 12 to 72 after my last dose would be hell, growing and growing in intensity til peaking from I'd say hour 60 to 72 and then you're out of the worst. Keep in mind, this was after over a year of high dose morphine AND hydromorphone legally scripted PLUS other street opiates on top of that. Getting off these things isn't fun, but you still can stop today and not suffer the hell that is withdrawal. I just finished my last round of opiate withdrawal about 3 weeks ago, and now I'm starting to taper off Xanax which is a whole nother story and even bigger hell then opiate withdrawal. The best thing is to stay positive and believe you can fight and free ourselves the chemical handcuffs we've placed ourselves in.
Old 21-02-2014, 06:33

Apparently I can withdraw..it was horrible.. Relapse 1...attempting again when i can find a better method than cold turkey. Made it 2 days before i couldn't handle it anymore.
Old 21-02-2014, 09:06
Titanium Member

36 y/o Male from United Kingdom
soso must live here.soso must live here.soso must live here.soso must live here.soso must live here.soso must live here.soso must live here.
Points: 973, Level: 4 Points: 973, Level: 4 Points: 973, Level: 4
Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3%

you've been using heroin ONE week?
if you cant handle withdrawing off h after only using a week your in serious trouble, if you continue to use the withdrawals will get worse and worse and you will have no chance of quiting cold turkey and will need professional help which once on record can cause problems in future.

you got a problem with feeling "slightly uncomfortable"? well don't wait till you have to feel the full effects of withdrawal because take it from someone who used daily for over 15 years what your feeling now is fuck all.

if you relapse the best thing to do is keep trying, think of the first attempt as practice for the next attempt lol but to be fair I don't think its the physical wds that's the problem, its your will to quit.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please don't use abbreviations like "h". It's "heroin". Your advice is wise, to the point and correct, but please use full drug names.
Old 21-02-2014, 11:20
Silver Member

37 y/o Male from United States
TarBaby is a decent psychonaut.TarBaby is a decent psychonaut.

try using clonidine and some benzo like klonopin for a few days and then just stop, they should help with your symptoms if they are that uncomfortable for you.
Old 21-02-2014, 17:52

I have clonidine and klonopin but i tried dxm and tylenol pm without any sort of relief. Wasn't sure if they'd really work. The muscle spasms/aches are what get to me the most. And for me it was not "slight" discomfort.. It was completely awful. And I've felt some pretty bad pain before. It just hits in the weakest spots (muscles, head, sweating/being cold etc) and No, I couldn't handle it
Old 21-02-2014, 19:51
Just A Brick In The Wall

31 y/o Female from USA - Missouri
detoxin momma probably knows what they are talking about.detoxin momma probably knows what they are talking about.detoxin momma probably knows what they are talking about.detoxin momma probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,535, Level: 5 Points: 1,535, Level: 5 Points: 1,535, Level: 5
Activity: 43.8% Activity: 43.8% Activity: 43.8%

kiwimuffin...just suck it up and face it.or you'll always end up justifying using and thenext thing you know you'll be a full blown junky

i injected heroin multiple times daily at the ages of 16 and 17...almost 2 years all together.
it wont be easy.it will be dreadful...but you said only a week??that wont be as bad to get off then.

i would say,give it a week of suffering from withdrawal...i vomited for 3/4 days.could keep nothing down but gatorade.i spent most of a week cuddled next to the toilet.shivering,sweating,puking.and having extreme body aches.no sleep either.

its like the worst flu imaginable to get off heroin.but the longer you wait to detox the harder it will be to beat it...so yes,i'd call of school and face it..get some gatorade and prepare to battle.if you really want to stop using it that is...thats my experience with it

Good counsel from personal experience. Don't wait around, and make it all more painful.
Old 21-02-2014, 20:09
Silver Member

Wow you have all those and your still uncomfortable coming off a weeks worth of using?

Are you sure you dont have some unkown illness or something did you feel good before the heroin?

Oh and have you tried a really short methadone or suboxone taper, that might work I just did one with 22 10mg dones and I felt ok after and I was using for years.
Old 21-02-2014, 21:35

The klonopin i don't have on hand yet, but i'm prescribed it and can go pick it up. Trying to find suboxone to make it easier, just biding my time until I can locate it. Not too easy around here despite the apparently huge underground heroin thing going on that I honestly didn't know about until (now) two weeks ago. I wasn't sick prior, but I did notice that I've had a weird head throb without any pain consistently for the past three days or so. and I've had a hard time eating much, so that isn't helping either. I've lost 5lbs in the past two weeks and 3 sizes in pants because I'm simply not hungry at all. Forcing food as often as I can but a few bites here and there before I can't eat anymore isn't doing too much. It's been better recently. And a very irritating feeling like there's a hair in my throat, but it's just a couple little bumps from a cold we had weeks ago that haven't gone away. Aside from those, I don't think anything is wrong that would be making me that physically sick.
Old 21-02-2014, 21:48
Titanium Member

Male from Burma
Aurum is on the way upAurum is on the way upAurum is on the way upAurum is on the way up
Points: 396, Level: 3 Points: 396, Level: 3 Points: 396, Level: 3
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

You should think long and hard about stopping using before you develop any more dependence either physically, mentally or in both ways. Certainly I regret the decision I made when I reached the point it appears you are currently at, I too told myself that I was just going to use for a little longer - for me it was supposedly so that I could come up with a really good plan to stop using - as I was unable to think properly while I was experiencing WD symptoms, so I'd just use for that day and only a little, just enough to make me feel well and let me think straight...

It's so so so typical for people to come up with a variation of that type of self justification, like I did, like you are currently. Needless to say I never came up with that master plan, I'd justify using for that day only and each day my addiction - in all ways - grew stronger. If you want to quit then you need to stop using, be that just by stopping cold turkey or with the aid of a substitute substance or however it is you chose to go about it , you will never get clean if you keep using and keep coming up with reasons/excuses why it's ok for you to use again or for a bit longer etc.

By the time I had accepted that I was bullshitting myself about using just enough to feel ok for one more day I'd been telling myself that every day for 2 months and was far far worse off - in all sorts of ways - than I had been when I first realised I got WD symptoms if I didn't use any H.

It wasn't the case when I first began using - and I'm not sure when it became this way - but certainly for me I will have WD symptoms after using for 4 days in a row, if I wake up on day 5 and don't use anything I'll be in WD's immediately from waking up until I do something to get rid of them - or accept them as the price you pay - I've never been any good at that though....

Honestly, and I know you'll do exactly as you want (which seems to be to keep using) but anyone looking at your situation from the outside should clearly see that the best thing to do is to stop now and leave it well alone in the future, you can only go downhill from where you are and it's a short steep shocking downward spiral for all who proceed...

Take care...

Good information! Very caring.
Please don't use abbreviations "H" on an international forum. Fair points expressed.
Old 21-02-2014, 23:10
Silver Member

This might be a dumb question but you said you only used heroin for a week, did you ever use other opiates before or was this your first time? Because there is no way you should be feeling this bad, but you say you definitely are, it just seems so strange.
Old 21-02-2014, 23:32
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from USA - Pennsylvania
Cwb20022 probably knows what they are talking about.Cwb20022 probably knows what they are talking about.Cwb20022 probably knows what they are talking about.Cwb20022 probably knows what they are talking about.Cwb20022 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 913, Level: 4 Points: 913, Level: 4 Points: 913, Level: 4
Activity: 24.2% Activity: 24.2% Activity: 24.2%

Here's an excellent link on various options you have for dealing with opiate withdrawal. I wish the best for you. And read the link its quite detailed and you should find it very helpful. Clonidine usually works wonders for most people. And once you get past a couple days it'll get much better. Please keep me updated. I love hearing people's stories of recovery. Good luck.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76991

Last edited by Cwb20022; 22-02-2014 at 01:44. Reason: Wish her good luck.
Old 22-02-2014, 00:15
Silver Member

Male from Norway
Synaps is a decent psychonaut.Synaps is a decent psychonaut.

Ehrm... Sounds like food deprivation to me. It is absolutely essential that you eat if you can. It will seriously make ALL the difference. And really, there is no excuse for not eating food if you can hold it down. Don't find food tempting? You eat to live, not to enjoy. This is how it works when life's tough.

Withdrawals are much stronger when you are conscious about them. Contrary to what the movies tell you, it is in most cases possible to go to school and function somewhat with withdrawals, and if you can it helps immensely. You need to get your mind off the drug. Laying in bed thinking about heroin for 3 days is begging for a relapse. Only reason to do that is that it is if it is absolutely impossible to not do it.
Old 22-02-2014, 01:03
Silver Member

34 y/o Male from Scotland
Howden deala is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%

I'm on methadone and been addicted to opiates since I was 16
I'm 33 now,
you'll get better advice on how 2 get off from others on here but I will say
I wish I could go back 2 the stage your at!
Sure its horrible but its nowhere near got a grip of you
than it will if you carry on!
I would avoid all opiates and get off enough valium,sleepers
and get into a room and bed for 7days and you will defo be over the worst
of it! A wish you all the best! Good luck!
I'm new 2 this and just working it all out, could you please let me know how you do
Thanks

Putting things into perspective with a timeline. Good call.
Old 22-02-2014, 17:00

Thanks for the tips! I don't mean to sound defensive, I just come across that way on accident a lot. I'll be going to school next week, probably withdrawing again and hopefully getting through it without relapse. I'd quit today if it wasn't my birthday..lol. But tomorrow my "get through" stash will be gone and I'll be back to step 1. It's definitely not easy, despite logic saying it shouldn't even happen this early in use. But hopefully I can manage. Just thinking about going through it again leaves me feeling horribly nervous.
Old 22-02-2014, 17:10
Silver Member

Every time you keep using at this early stage is just making it worse!
I know its shit but stop while its not got a total grip on you!
Cheers, wish you well.
Old 22-02-2014, 21:04
Titanium Member

Male from Burma
Aurum is on the way upAurum is on the way upAurum is on the way upAurum is on the way up
Points: 396, Level: 3 Points: 396, Level: 3 Points: 396, Level: 3
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

Like both myself and Howden. have said - and I bet nearly all addicts would say if you asked them - you are at the stage where you can alter what happens next. If you keep using that luxury will no longer exist for you and you'll look back at this point and kick yourself for not heeding the advice you are being given - and if you are truthful I expect you knew it anyway - it's your actions here, now, that will dictate what path you will go down for at least the forseeable future and it's no exaggeration to say that the decision you make now could well be one that you end up having to live with for the rest of your life - even if you don't want to at a later stage you could find that ship has sailed long ago and you stood waving it off from the dock...

Forget about whether or not you should "technically" be feeling what you are feeling when you don't take heroin, there is no set in stone time frame for developing a physical dependence - some are slower to develop and some shorter, there are a whole host of factors involved and what matters here is not discussing the finer points of individuals developing a dependence on a substance but what you can do about it now you are where you are with it.

Chose wisely, this is not an offer that you'll get another chance to consider.

great advice
Old 22-02-2014, 21:20
Silver Member

34 y/o Female from United Kingdom
cbabycee is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

Please make sure you eat and drink loads of water. Even if its just some soup. Your body cant fix itself if it has nothing to do it with, detoxing dehydrates your kidneys which will make your whole body ache. sweet things really help when detoxing as they help release endorphins. But from your earlier post it sounds like you werent feeling 100% before you started using heroin, there may be something underlying here that the Heroin has been helping with being that it is a strong painkiller - I think you should see a doctor as soon as possible.

I hope that you are ok! Be strong please, best wishes!
Old 24-02-2014, 03:24

Got through another day 1 of withdrawal with less issues..Not as much pain so thinking that I might have been sick/malnourished as well. I've been eating a little better and picked up some vitamin C and a strong multivitamin, lots of bananas and some new headphones and a new blanket to hopefully kick start everything. Messed up a bit so tomorrow is my new day 1. Hoping that the first w/d was a fluke and it goes much easier when I start again.
Old 24-02-2014, 03:55
D0pe D0pe is nu online
Titanium Member

29 y/o Male from United States
D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.
Points: 1,577, Level: 6 Points: 1,577, Level: 6 Points: 1,577, Level: 6
Activity: 31.6% Activity: 31.6% Activity: 31.6%

KiwiMuffin,

I would try not to listen so much to the people that talk about only being on it for 1 week and not being able to cope.. For each person it is different... In most cases heroin addicts cannot handle it at all and they dive down a long path of addiction..

Like me for example, I was doing 40mg of oxy maybe 3-4 times daily for 8 days straight when i first started... Then when the withdrawals hit, OMG i did not even know what it was.... I stuck it out for 2 days and then i said, Screw it im going to get some stuff to try and make me feel better. Got my Oxy and i knew right then and there that i had a problems.. Its been over 10 years with this problem.

I wish i would of quit when i was only 8 days in.. Because i can admit it was not nearly as bad of withdrawals as being on it for years.. Wow.. That really sucked me down, down, and down... I remember having to quit after about 2 weeks of use.. Withdrawals were minimal, And i forgot about pills for awhile...

Then all of a sudden i remembered them and started back up again.. Yea i was a bit uncomfortable, But i can relate to you and what your going through.. Does not matter how long you use a drug, Some people can experience addiction and dependency way faster..

I would listen to all the other peoples advice though....And listen carefully.. All these people like myself have been through this hell for a long, long time... We only wish we could go back to the 7 day mark.. Crap even the 30 day of use mark and try to quit...

I would give someone my house, cars, and all the stuff i own and have worked for just to get away from that crap... So when and if a good cure ever comes ""Which is doubtful"" I will be all over it.

But the only way to handle it is through suffering.. You can take it now, Or you can take it 7 fold in the future... Especially with all the consequences that comes with heroin and opiate use Health Problems, Infections, mental problems, legal troubles, and the idea that you are a slave to a substance every day...

It sucks......

aye well said.
Old 03-03-2014, 18:24

After a few failures I found suboxone. NO withdrawal (unless im late taking it, then I get uncomfortable and irritable) and I stop taking the subs in 2 days, then I'm clean The mental aspect of the whole thing.. the WANT to use is whats bothering me now instead of the pain. Makes it really hard to stay away from it.
Old 08-03-2014, 19:37
Silver Member

Aye good advice from dope there,
lots of addicts like me wish we could go bk 2
the early days, if you don't stop now then you'll
pay 10 fold in the future!
I was forced 2 go cold turkey
in Scottish prisons, brutal! Do it before your forced 2
Old 09-03-2014, 08:13
D0pe D0pe is nu online
Titanium Member

29 y/o Male from United States
D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.D0pe must live here.
Points: 1,577, Level: 6 Points: 1,577, Level: 6 Points: 1,577, Level: 6
Activity: 31.6% Activity: 31.6% Activity: 31.6%

Wishing you luck on the days after you stop taking the Sub ...... That is not usually how it works for most people.. Because all Subs do is prolong your withdrawal... In most cases it is a extended last resort. Some people are so quick to get on it.. But then again i cannot argue if it is working for you right now... You said 2 more days of Suboxone then you are clean ? For me it would be 2 more days of suboxone and i would be going into withdrawal.....

Just remember that 2 days of suboxone left and then after that you might not get bad withdrawals for 2 days or more... The stuff that is in Suboxone ""Bupe"" has a 36 hour half life.... So even after 2 days there is still some in your system that is in your receptors....

So if you come back here and read this and need any help.. Do not be afraid to ask questions and get some more advice..

It was not long ago that you said you had Withdrawals... Then you had Suboxone and all of a sudden had 2 days left and you said that is it you are clean ? I am curious to know how that works out ?.... Share your experience if it works.. Because less than a month of suboxone treatment would be a good experience story...

For me that would of probably made things worse for me right off the get go.... Im not sure.... I have been on Suboxone for over 2 years now and still tapering down and trying to get off the stuff. Everyone is different and i am wishing you luck in your journey. Post back if you ever get around to it.... This story sounds kinda like how i would be typing when i was first hooked into the stuff.... Not judging just saying that it could be hard and you might need to go through some pain and discomfort . All from my personal experience of course.....

I suppose you did not get on Suboxone from a Doctor ? Anyways i hope your doing well, We are here if you need us..

Good Luck..

Last edited by D0pe; 09-03-2014 at 08:23. Reason: content.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:14

I wish I could say the suboxone worked. I was clean exactly one week then relapsed and have been using multiple times per week since. I've been considering going to a suboxone clinic but I don't know how they work or if I COULD go. Currently on day 2 of withdrawals at the moment and can't sleep to save my life. I know I could try to push through it but I feel like the suboxone kept me from using because I "knew" i couldn't get high. I actually used the last day i took suboxone (1/6 of a 2mg film) so clearly it was just keeping pain away. I'm not sure where I stand now, a month later. I know my tolerance is absurd for using 2 months but having 2-year addicts prep your shot on occasion (new works, whole deal.. just easier sometimes) it's bound to happen, I've experienced a pretty bad abscess that was treated after a week of being there so the vein isn't even functional. It's still pretty solid.. I rotate, but losing the easiest to get sucked. I won't get into it all, but no.. one 2mg suboxone film didn't "fix everything" like I thought and I did a lot of damage to my life in the past month. Sold things, lied to many people..friends had enough and told my family (which I'm not sure believe them..family didn't say anything to me) so now it's time to get clean..I just don't want this for myself.
Oh, and I also OD'd and stopped breathing shortly after my last post. EMTs and all that. Now THAT was not fun. Why it didn't stop me I have no idea.
Old 02-04-2014, 14:23
Silver Member

fuck, things not been goin well at all!
its breaking ma heart reading that there,
I started smoking heroin at 16 then by 18 was injecting
I also stopped breathing and od'd another 8 times roughly,
done all the stealing off family and most of what you've said,
so sorry your goin through this,
a can't really give you advice as a don't think anything I say
will help, looks like you'll either stop soon or you've got whole lot
of your life ahead of you as a junkie!
I'm a junkie 2, I'm sticking 2 my methadone
but ppl still know me as a junkie and that's what they'll
say about you!
Cmon girl you can do it!
THIS IS A SHIT LIFE AS AN ADDICT
GOOD LUCK

please please dont use text talk and slang, all the non-english cry when they dont understand you. Do it for them. Thank you.

Share this on:

Tags
heroin, opiate addiction and recovery, opiate withdrawal, opiate withdrawal experiences, opiate withdrawal management, opiates