Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 09-12-2013, 21:42
Silver Member

34 y/o Male from United States
Flush06 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 128, Level: 1 Points: 128, Level: 1 Points: 128, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
38 days sober-getting wicked drug cravings

Hey everyone.

I wanted to put my update in. For those of you who don't know my story, I had an all around drug addiction for 4-5 years and jumped on methadone for 10 months. Because of financial issues I had to do a rapid 7 day detox down from 125 mgs. Its been 38 days off all opiates but i have had a few drinks at a couple Christmas parties. Didn't get drunk though. I'm not wanting to trade one addiction for another.

In my last post i talked about what might happen if I was to use just one time and get that buzz. (un)Luckily im not working so i have no cash to buy drugs and i totaled my car so iits hard to get around at the moment. But each day for the past week or so i have been having really bad drug cravings. I keep having thoughts about pawning my laptop or trading in all my blurays to go buy drugs. But luckily i keep turning away. I am totally determined to not go back to using.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about stopping that craving. I know keeping busy is a huge thing. But its winter in Michigan right now and there's not much yardwork or anything for me to do. The time that i feel best is the 60-90 minutes that im working out a day. It gives me that natural buzz and also keeps my mind busy.

Am i just experiencing another phase of PAWs or what? I know in the back of my mind now that the methadone is totally gone i want to try to feel a buzz. (agan i say i haven't given in). But i just keep thinking that its only a matter of time that i have cash and a ride and i end up using. I DON'T want that to happen.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Thanks for sharing your story with us and having the courage to reach out for help.
Good idea for making a thread asking for help.
Old 09-12-2013, 21:55
Titanium Member

Female from United States
LadySue must live here.LadySue must live here.LadySue must live here.LadySue must live here.LadySue must live here.LadySue must live here.LadySue must live here.
Points: 1,171, Level: 5 Points: 1,171, Level: 5 Points: 1,171, Level: 5
Activity: 19.5% Activity: 19.5% Activity: 19.5%
Re: 38 days sober-getting wicked drug cravings

Flush: Check out the '100 thing to do beside make the call' thread - lots of ideas in there of things to do that don't require you be outside. I would think these cravings are PAW related; regardless a craving is a craving and we have to find a way to deal with them. I believe if we can divert our thought onto something else often enough, they will lessen. That's my theory at the moment anyway...and I'm sticking to it lol.

I know this: THEY WILL PASS!!! Hang in - don't give up that glorious 38 days!!

when pointing other members to threads it is a nice idea to actually link to the thread. supportive post.
Old 09-12-2013, 22:16
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
Mr Bumble is captain of the psychonauts.Mr Bumble is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 329, Level: 2 Points: 329, Level: 2 Points: 329, Level: 2
Activity: 6.3% Activity: 6.3% Activity: 6.3%

yeah your at a really tough point craving wise, the excitment of being newly clean is over, plus the weathers shite and you've got to much free time. Train your thought process, ever time you get a bad craving write a list of all the shit reason why you should not use, ie how fucked up it makes your life.
Sounds a bit lame and is hard to make yourself to, but this help me stay clean of heroin for six years, only had to do it for a few months before the thought process was almost rewired.
Look up cognitive behavioral therapy techniques related to drug use and do them, it does work

good idea re: CBT, some links would have still been better, tho ;) only a lone star for this

Last edited by Mr Bumble; 09-12-2013 at 22:21. Reason: mistake
Old 09-12-2013, 22:35
Anti Matter Member

49 y/o Male from Germany
TheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 9,192, Level: 14 Points: 9,192, Level: 14 Points: 9,192, Level: 14
Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7%

From my own experience I can say that it's done easiest when you first recognize that you have cravings to actually talk to your craving and ask it what it wants from you. Do that dialogue.
I almost always won.
Old 09-12-2013, 23:19
Recovery & Addiction
Co-Moderator

Female from Earth
Kitts really knows their shit.Kitts really knows their shit.Kitts really knows their shit.Kitts really knows their shit.Kitts really knows their shit.Kitts really knows their shit.Kitts really knows their shit.Kitts really knows their shit.Kitts really knows their shit.Kitts really knows their shit.
Points: 3,072, Level: 8 Points: 3,072, Level: 8 Points: 3,072, Level: 8
Activity: 42.1% Activity: 42.1% Activity: 42.1%

Wow this is an amazing achievement - you've done so well to get off the methadone Flush.

As you're having a tough time at the moment, I was wondering if it might help you to look around and see if you can do something to help someone else. Either some voluntary work, or as its winter and if it's snowy, maybe you could help some people who are not as fit and strong as you? It might aid you to keep your mind off these cravings and may also make you feel better.

When I quit methadone last year, it was a couple of months later that I started to feel really bad and have big cravings and so I used a little, thinking once couldn't hurt right? Unfortunately that once led me straight back into addiction and I'm now tapering methadone all over again. Using that one time set up that incessant chatter in my brain, only now it was ten times louder and I found it impossible to ignore.

I really hope you can continue to be strong Flush. Maybe you could think of this as a next challenge. Where I fell down (I think) was that I expected to be feeling better and better as the clean days went by, whereas in reality I was in a new stage of detox, albeit a drug free one. Please keep challenging your thoughts, keep writing and getting ideas and ammunition to fight back. Keep going one day, one moment at a time and pretty soon you will start to come out the other side. Best wishes to you Flush, you can do it!

Supportive post with very helpful advice- helping others is a great way to help yourself!
nice, very supportive to the OP.
Old 10-12-2013, 00:33
Silver Member

@ ladysue
Thanks for the recommendation. I checked out your post and I loved it. I'm glad you told me about that I have seen the post several times but just overlooked it. Theirs a lot of great ideas in there that I just didn't think about. Its crazy how all hobbies go to the wayside when becoming an addict because the only thing you care about is just getting your junk and all energy goes towards thinking about that. Its a shame really.

@bumble
I totally understand what you mean about the initial feeling of getting clean being gone. Its almost like I hit a plateau. I don't feel as good about myself because its almost like i haven't moved forward. I will try what you said about the negative effects about why not to go grab those few pills.

@kitts
Thanks for the praise. 38 days in the scheme of things is not much really. But when I think back about what the first seven days felt like (a year) it does feel like a bit of an accomplishment. I also love your idea about helping others. I definitely could go out and shovel sidewalks or driveways to keep me busy and hey burn some calories. I think that would give me a whole other feeling of accomplishment.
Old 10-12-2013, 00:53
Silver Member

Male from United States
Dyinhere1 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Totally coincidental, but I am on day 37 CT and cravings/anxiety hit me massively today too.
STAY STRONG>>I am here posting trying to get through them as well....

thankyou for sharing, helps knowing someone is in similar situation.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:31
Titanium Member

27 y/o Female from United States
headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.
Points: 2,893, Level: 8 Points: 2,893, Level: 8 Points: 2,893, Level: 8
Activity: 8.4% Activity: 8.4% Activity: 8.4%

First off I want to say that you have done brilliantly to get to this point. 38 days without methadone is quite a feat- one that I am honestly envious of. Getting to the point you're at is no small task and you should definitely give yourself credit for it.

Don't beat yourself up for having cravings. It is completely normal to have cravings- the way you deal with them is what matters. Each time you get through a craving without using you become stronger and better equipped to deal with the next one.

Do you have some solid support- friends, family, a group? Do you participate in any kind of recovery groups? The more we know about your situation the better we will be able to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf View Post
From my own experience I can say that it's done easiest when you first recognize that you have cravings to actually talk to your craving and ask it what it wants from you. Do that dialogue.
I almost always won.
That's a really good idea. I do something similar and as soon as I read the OP I thought of it. It's a tool I learned from SMART recovery. It's called DISARM. It's a lot like bigbadwolf was talking about- you argue with the addictive voice in your head. I definitely recommend checking it out, as it's a great tool to get through urges.

DISARM Worksheet

brilliantly supportive posts - good questions posed re: environmental help,- thanks for providing the link for the OP.( and me , lol). would you please upload this to the DF database for further use? external links go dead in time. Thanks.

Last edited by headfull0fstars; 10-12-2013 at 18:02. Reason: file added to DF archive and link made internal.
Old 10-12-2013, 13:46
Silver Member

I currently have my parents who stop over daily to see how im doing. Sometimes I will even stay at there place if im not feeling quite up to par. This was more at the beginning then now. I currently have one friend who used to be my buddy i got high with and now hes actually been clean longer than i have and goes to NA meetings once a week. Im going to attend my first NA meeting this Wednesday. Its kind of hard because ive gotten rid of all my other friends because they would just enable me to use. Its hard just having that one person to talk to. My parents are way anti-drug and its really hard to talk with them about PAWs because they think its all in my head and really are only familiar with the physical symptoms.

Thank-you for the DISARM worksheet that will become very helpful. I am willing to give anything a shot at this point to help push my cravings to the side. It hits me especially hard at this time of year as its been probably five years that i haven't been ungodly high on Christmas eve and Christmas day along with any family and friend events before then.

Its like im completely having to retrain myself to go and have a decent time when i go out to do things and being sober.

I have been experiencing such high emotions at this time, I don't know if this is normal. I actually get happy or sad or angry or scared. Its amazing having these normal emotions. I even can taste and smell so much better. Every time I eat a piece of fruit or something my mouth explodes with flavor its amazing.
Old 10-12-2013, 18:21
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
Mr Bumble is captain of the psychonauts.Mr Bumble is captain of the psychonauts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flush06 View Post
Its like im completely having to retrain myself to go and have a decent time when i go out to do things and being sober.

I have been experiencing such high emotions at this time, I don't know if this is normal. I actually get happy or sad or angry or scared. Its amazing having these normal emotions. I even can taste and smell so much better. Every time I eat a piece of fruit or something my mouth explodes with flavor its amazing.
You hit it on the head, thats exactly what we have to do is retrain our minds, our whole being sometimes.

We're so used to being constantly being in anesthetized state that our minds become no longer wired for reality, it takes time to repair the damage. The high emotions are 100% normal and part of the deal. Your learning to feel again, and thats a hard thing to do.

Stick with it, keep your eye on the prize, if you want it bad enough you will get there, just don't get disheartened, everything your feeling is part of the process and will get better
Old 10-12-2013, 21:08
Silver Member

i read online that PAWs can last up to two years. Is this something that is in a very extreme case? Or is it a common thing that people will go threw?

I could understand if it was a normal thing seeing as how its why people are constantly updating there struggles and explaining bad feelings even after months of recovery.

It just scares the shit out of me to think that I could be having cravings and headaches and lasck of motivation for the next 2 years. Or should I just expect to have some mild cravings for the rest of my life. Like getting high will be in the back of my mind until im dead?

What type of experiences do those of you have that have been clean for years and years? Or those cravings and other PAWs still in your head? Will I think when im 50 hey i should take some oxy
Old 10-12-2013, 21:36
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom

Quote:
It just scares the shit out of me to think that I could be having cravings and headaches and lasck of motivation for the next 2 years. Or should I just expect to have some mild cravings for the rest of my life. Like getting high will be in the back of my mind until im dead?

What type of experiences do those of you have that have been clean for years and years? Or those cravings and other PAWs still in your head? Will I think when im 50 hey i should take some oxy
It's different everyntime for me and different from person to person, making positive changes and keeping active will help greatly, as will seeking professional help for any underlying mental health issues or help dealing with loss, guilt, abuse or anything else from your past. Not saying you have any of these issues but if you do now is the time to seek help.

I can't really remember how long PAWS lasted for me the times I've managed to get some good clean time under my belt, maybe 6 months top
Old 10-12-2013, 21:54
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bumble View Post
It's different everyntime for me and different from person to person, making positive changes and keeping active will help greatly, as will seeking professional help for any underlying mental health issues or help dealing with loss, guilt, abuse or anything else from your past. Not saying you have any of these issues but if you do now is the time to seek help.

I can't really remember how long PAWS lasted for me the times I've managed to get some good clean time under my belt, maybe 6 months top
what exactly do you mean by underlying mental health issues? When I overdosed a little over a year ago I was put in a 72 hour minimum suicide watch psych ward and when i left I ended up going to see a psychologist and psychiatrist (who prescribed me paxil and buspar). I continued to see them both for about 3 months until I lost my job and insurance shortly after. Now im not sure if they just put me on stuff because that's what they do or maybe the situation that hospitalized led him to believe I was depressed. My psychiatrist was very bad at explaining things to me. Ive never been one to be depressed (except when im in withdrawl). I do get anxiety but its more of a social thing. I get very nervous and awkward in crowds.

Besides that I think that my anxiety levels are just normal. I mean its totally normal to have some anxiety about things or be nervous.

Now when you say dealing with loss guilt or abuse can you go a little deeper into what you mean. I think I understand sort of but I really just want to be sure.

Bumble you have helped and encouraged me so much. Its much appreciated that you take your time to help me.
Old 10-12-2013, 22:24

27 y/o Male from Ireland
TeenDrugFiend should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

Keep it going man, don't give up.

not many words but inspiring
Old 10-12-2013, 22:52
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom

Quote:
what exactly do you mean by underlying mental health issues?
Anything from clinical depression to Schizophrenia. I would not take being put on anti depressants as a diagnosis of mental health isssues, they are way over prescribe and also use to treat tempoary depression. But

I donno really, I sought mental health assessments a few years ago cos I could feel a big decline in my mental health, i knew i was feeling ill in the head. Anti depressants worked for me, what ever was wrong was never properly diagnosed, but the anti depressants keep me feeling sane.

if you feel there might be something wrong talk to another shrink, not the one who didn't explain anything, he probably didn't explain cos he didn't know and put you on anti d's so he could push you out the door.

Mr Bumble added 9 Minutes and 17 Seconds later...

And I'm glad to have been a help, posting here helps me just as much, if I can help a few others it makes all the years I've lost to drugs worth something at least

Last edited by Mr Bumble; 10-12-2013 at 22:52. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-12-2013, 00:10
Silver Member

yes i didnt feel much different at all from taking my buspar and paxil for 8 weeks. All i got from the paxil was the side effects. I ended up just tapering it down just in case and quitting.

Share this on:

Tags
coping skills, cravings, dealing with cravings, disarm, drug cravings, methadone dependence, methadone detox, smart recovery