Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 24-10-2013, 22:18

45 y/o Male from United States
Mike223359 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Taking Subutex to get off 10 year OxyContin habit that started from back problems.

I have been taking OxyContin and Oxycodone for over 10 years now and started Subutex last week to get off them. I was taking a very high dose as prescribed by my pain management doctor. I was on 6-80mg Oxycontins per day and 6-30mg Oxycodone for breakthrough pain for about 4 years now. This all started out innocently with a visit to my primary physician with back pain in 2000. I had x-rays then an MRI and they showed 2 herniated discs for which he prescribed me Vicodin 7.5/500 3 times a day as needed. After a year he recommended I see a pain management doctor and I found one locally and went. The new doctor put me on Percocet 10/500mg 4 times a day. The doctor would ask me how my pain was every time I went, every 28 days, and I would tell him I was getting very little relief from the meds. The doctor would up my dosage every couple of months and then change meds until I started taking the OxyContin 80's and Oxyconone 30's (Roxycodone). I was also on Soma for muscle spasms as well as Difunisal for arthritis. My last MRI showed I now have 5 herniated and deteriated discs in my lower back so the doctor just kept upping my dosages until I'm where I am. On Friday 10/18 I started on Subutex that was prescribed from another doctor. I weened down my Oxy from 660mg to 240mg and then stopped the day before,Thursday. I had taken my last dose of Oxy 80mg at 10PM Thursday night. I started my Subs Friday afternoon at around 3PM after feeling withdrawal symptoms for more then 3 hours. My son is a PA and has some experience with addiction but is primarily a Cardiac PA (Physicians Assistant). After the first agonizing day, I think I took the subs too soon and had a very bad time, the second day was tolerable to say the least, the third and subsequent days have been just ok. I started taking 24mg of the subs the first day then went down to 16mg on day 2 and 3. On day 4, I lowered to 12mg, but maybe that was too fast since I don't feel that great. I'm looking for anyone with experience tapering off the subs because if I keep feeling like this I know I will eventually go to a doctor and get oxy again. Please don't hesitate to let me know your experiences with Suboxone and how you got off of it or if your still on it. I have heard a lot of horror stories on this site about prolonged Suboxone use and the eventual side effects it can cause. Thanks to anyone that read this entire post since I know it was pretty long winded.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please note where you post, this is not about "Site Use". Also, while this post was not overly long yet, paragraphs help readability.

Last edited by Mike223359; 25-10-2013 at 04:03.
Old 25-10-2013, 02:08
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

19 y/o Female from United States
InRecovery152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Taking Subutex to get off 10 year OxyContin habit that started from back problems

Hello!
I am currently tapering off suboxone but very slowly. I had been on suboxone before and went from 8mgs a day to tapering down 2mgs each day until I was at 0 and experienced uncomfortable WD symptoms. This was mainly terrible anxiety, restlessness but no motivation or energy, cold sweats and chills, and insomnia. That was the worst of it. (btw I was on the subs for about 6 months when I decided to get off of them). I then relapsed during the WDs because my cravings were very intense and wanted to feel normal again.

I got back on the subs and now have decided I want to be drug free because even suboxone is a powerful opiate. Anyway, I am tapering down from 8mgs but with a doctor and therapist. I decreased the dosage 2mgs per month. So I went down to 6mgs for a month, then 4mgs, and now I am on 2mgs and it's not so bad. Don't really feel much different. And I plan to go down to 1mg for a month when this month is over before I get off completely.

That is just my experience. My doctor says I won't feel any WDs from getting off the subs but I've been on them for about a year now so I am not so sure. I don't know if this helps but GOOD LUCK!
Old 25-10-2013, 02:56

Re: Taking Subutex to get off 10 year OxyContin habit that started from back problems

Thanks, that does help a lot. I have heard of a few ways to taper off but yours does make a lot of sense to me especially since your using a doctors recommended way.
Old 27-10-2013, 01:54

Wow, I can't believe that nobody has an answer for me. I guess I joined the wrong site because I thought this was the best site to get help with drug questions. Confused!!!
Old 22-11-2013, 21:17

O we'll I only lasted 19 days before I went to another doctor for my opiates. The doctor only gave me Fentanyl patches ( 100mcg) and 10mg Oxycodone tabs. They seem to be working pretty goodnight now and I don't see myself ever going back to taking all that oxy ever again (700mg a day) I want to know if anyone has hadexperience with the fentanyl patches and any information on them would be appreciated.
Old 23-11-2013, 12:54
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,443, Level: 21 Points: 21,443, Level: 21 Points: 21,443, Level: 21
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%

There are tons of threads on fentanyl patches, instead of waiting for people to re-post information here you should be taking the time to do some reading.
The same goes for you initial question. Posting it in the right forum initially would have also helped as would breaking up your big block of text with paragraphs. It is very difficult to read, especially for people who are not entirely sober

Remember that this site is populated with average people like you and me and we are all living in different time zones, so you will have to give it time, often days before you get an answer. You can of course go to a pay site where a professional will give you an instant answer for money if you dont have the patience for this site.

Best of luck with everything.

Share this on:

Tags
opiate addiction, oxycodone, suboxone after opiates