Notices

Old 16-09-2013, 09:07
Silver Member

Male from Australia
Joe29 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 157, Level: 2 Points: 157, Level: 2 Points: 157, Level: 2
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
Methadone Withdrawal

Im going cold turkey off 8.75mgs of methadone. I have had enough.

1. What am I in for.
2. How long before the worst of the withdrawals are over with.
3. I have 45, 5mgs Valium to help with the tremors and what not.
4. I am staying at my familys house, so im not doing it alone.
5. What else is good to take, to take the edge off.

I have made my mind up and I am starting my withdrawal Tuesday the 17th of September. I am sick of being a slave to this drug.

Any advice to help with W/D, please tell.

Thanks Joe...........
Old 16-09-2013, 14:51
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United States
bluesgun is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Methadone Withdrawal

Im on day 28 of recovery from a three year habit on methadone.. Its good your making the decision to quit... It sounds like you are determined and that is the most important aspect of your recovery just know that it will test you especially.the first couple of weeksand be careful takin the v's u dont want to cover up the withdrawel to much just remember u will have to go.without sleep eventually.. Anyway good luck man and just know if u can tough out the initial w/d u WILL feel much better after a month or 2..
Old 16-09-2013, 19:44
Silver Member

Female from USA - Louisiana
MajesticMiseryx0 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

My heart goes to you! I completely understand what it's like to just have enough with this Methadone! I am on 15mg and I envy you! You seem determined and that's great! I wish I could just stop taking this stuff every morning just to function. I do not know what it's like to just stop taking Methadone. But, just remember what you want out of this. I'm sure it will be rough, but you are dropping from a lower dose so that could only be more helpful, I would assume. It's good you are going to be with family members that can help you.

The only things that I really know of to help are vitamins. Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium things like that may help you. Maybe get some Gatorade and soups as well during this time. I'm sure others have more helpful advice. I wish you all the best.

this too shall pass!
Old 17-09-2013, 02:43
Titanium Member

42 y/o Male from Australia
out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.
Points: 2,306, Level: 7 Points: 2,306, Level: 7 Points: 2,306, Level: 7
Activity: 4.1% Activity: 4.1% Activity: 4.1%

Great! It's awesome that you've made this decision. I am currently on 25mg for pain relief maintenance after spinal surgery and can't really stop at the moment. But good on you!

Ok, so I suppose one question that is very important is "how long have you been on methadone"? The length of time will affect the way you go with CT withdrawal. If it's a short period, the withdrawal will be less intense generally. So if you could let us know that it will help a lot in these answers.

As a general rule of thumb, the first week will be the worst and in particular, the first three or four days. During that period you could use valium to help control crazy emotions, body aches and insomnia. It is a very useful tool in this situation but be careful to use it sparingly so that you don't replace the methadone dependence with valium dependence which is all too common.

Some other useful tools to help with this withdrawal may include non-pharmacological methods like 1. Exercise - try to get out and at least walk for a bit each day. 2. Meditation is extremely useful to calm the mind and body - try sitting in a quiet place and close your eyes focusing on breathing only for a few minutes. this helps a lot! 3. Eat healthy foods even if you don't feel hungry so that you are getting enough nutrition including vitamins such as B12 and electrolytes.

Pharmacological methods, apart from the valium may include GABAb agonists such as pregabalin or gabapentin which are incredibly helpful. Ask your doctor if he would be willing to prescribe this for a short period.

I do hope that helps a bit and best wishes with your withdrawal!
Old 17-09-2013, 07:30
Silver Member

Male from Australia

Thanks for everyone's replies everyone, I'm typing from my phone.

I have been on methadone for 12 months my highest dose was 60mgs.

I have been tapering ever since I stopped getting a buzz of this crap, and I can see how easy it is to keep upping your dose.

Blue 28 days geez, that sounds like torture.

Thanks for the supplements tips. Majestic and out there.

I guess I will try to ruff it out. Not looking forward to it. I hope that only being on methadone 1 year that I will be right in a week, maybe 2.

So many bad methadone horrow stories online. Like it wasn't that bad to the extreme.

I would also like to say It feels like since I started tapering around November 2012, that I have been feeling like crap anyway, I was dropping 2.5mgs each week on and off. Until I got to 10mgs then it was a 1.25mgs per week.
I was like to my doctor which is miles away, and frick going to seeing him when I'm sick. I said I'm gonna go cold turkey. At around 5 to 7.5mgs, he was like no no no don't do that, and instead of the usual 8 week scipt I got one for a month.

I'm done with this legalised heroin, no offence to those who are actually in pain manegment.
But at the chemist daily, with all the stairs they just think junkie anyway.

Sorry for the rant....just super pissed that I'm in the situation just like everyone on here I suppose.

Again thanks for the replies.

I will try to check here daily, what I understand with methadone W/D. Is that it comes in waves, and not 24/7 am I right in that or is that a Internet myth. This is the only site I have found that no their $-it.

All the best joe.....

Looking forward to tomorrow lol....

Lyrica a family member gets them prescribed I am pretty sure, I clicked on Pregabalin and lyrica came up as a generic. Would It be okay to take one tablet a day for a week, it's a blood pressure medicine. So hopefully I only need to right a list and hit a chemist before the W/D start.

Last edited by Joe29; 17-09-2013 at 07:48. Reason: Add something
Old 17-09-2013, 09:43
Titanium Member

42 y/o Male from Australia
out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.
Points: 2,306, Level: 7 Points: 2,306, Level: 7 Points: 2,306, Level: 7
Activity: 4.1% Activity: 4.1% Activity: 4.1%

No pregabalin is predominantly a neuro medication - for neuropathic pain. But it has off label uses for anxiety and a few other things but not blood pressure as far as I know and I take it. Lyrica is the brand name and pregabalin is the generic.

It is a little pricey but has been found to have great use in opiate withdrawal patients so give it a go. It certainly can't hurt. Good luck again!

Post Quality Evaluations:
advising to take a strong medication like pregabalin without having a dose told is irresponsible. And yes, it can hurt.
Old 17-09-2013, 11:24
Anti Matter Member

49 y/o Male from Germany
TheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 9,212, Level: 14 Points: 9,212, Level: 14 Points: 9,212, Level: 14
Activity: 52.3% Activity: 52.3% Activity: 52.3%

Joe29,

Good luck on your journey off from methadone.

There is certainly no bigger problem with Lyrica when you take them off-label against withdrawal symptoms.
I have found it - and with me several persons I know well -very useful for suppressing w/d symptoms on a dose up to 150 mg a day. check out the side effects - check out if there's any contraindications to what illnesses you possibly have.
This is a very strong medication, mainly used for anxiety, and for neuropathic pain.
It has a big abuse potential for itself, so take care .
The same, abuse potential , goes for valium.
You dont want to get the methadone habit off your arse to replace it with a (nastier and much more
dangerous) benzodiazepine addiction.

The first two days of your W/D you will generally feel nothing at all. This is due to the long half-life time of methadone inside your system. Days three to seven will be difficult, most get not so much physical but rather psychological symptoms, inner restlessness, craving the drug, problems to concentrate , not being able to sleep.

For the restlessness and even the RLS (Restless Legs Syndrome) Lyrica will take care of most of it.

In the nights, you will have problems with sleep occurring . Your best bet is to work out or have a long walk in the evening , to be tired. You can help with some over.the-counter meds, so-called drowsy antihistamines which have a side effect of making tired and so often are used as slee medications. Ask for diphenhydramine. 50 to 100 mg of these should help you find rest. dont get hysterical if you can
't sleep. then you cant. Period, read a book.

Get something to be busy with . Nothing helps more with getting a shitty withdrawal than having too much time to think about your system.

Try to eat fresh unprocessed food, stay hydrated.

There is nothing like an 'unfeelable' withdrawal - thats simply the price we pay for being addicted. But comfort medications can help a good deal.

For the nerves there are many sorts of teas from herbs , as to mention Valerian root as the most prominent, hops, passion flower,- you gotta find out what is helping for you.
Valerian often is taken as a tablet because of its awful taste - one has got to take quite some .. roughly double the dose that is on the package.
For getting to sleep also a brew from nutmeg (2 teaspoons of powder) in warm milk, sweetened with some honey has helped me much.

There are several other medications and things of help you can find in A how-to guide to opiate detoxification.

I have only written about what I myself know as helpful and have already used.

I wish you luck , please update us about how you are doing - or if you have further questions.

BBW

Very supportive post filled with valuable information.
Old 19-09-2013, 09:17
Silver Member

Male from Australia

@thebigbadwolf

Thank you for your tips and encouragement.
So far I have had just restless legs and next to no sleep even with the Valium. I took 5 last night went to bed and got 1 and a half hours sleep only.
I'm hanging in there the worst is still to come.
Thanks for the info with the Lycria, I am waiting on my patents to come home from shopping and getting me some supplements from the chemist.
So then I will find out what mgs they're on.
All the best joe.....
I will keep this thread updated when i can and will continue to read posts of encouragement.
Old 19-09-2013, 12:47
Anti Matter Member

49 y/o Male from Germany
TheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 9,212, Level: 14 Points: 9,212, Level: 14 Points: 9,212, Level: 14
Activity: 52.3% Activity: 52.3% Activity: 52.3%

And receive them you will, joe,

As I know the helpful community of DF there soon will chime even.more members in to go thru this alongside you, giving you empathy, understanding and support.

You keep on keeping on.

BBW

TheBigBadWolf added 0 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

And receive them you will, joe,

As I know the helpful community of DF there soon will chime even.more members in to go thru this alongside you, giving you empathy, understanding and support.

You keep on keeping on.

BBW

Last edited by TheBigBadWolf; 19-09-2013 at 12:47. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 19-09-2013, 13:31
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

35 y/o Male from United States
sublusion should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe29 View Post
Im going cold turkey off 8.75mgs of methadone. I have had enough.

1. What am I in for.
2. How long before the worst of the withdrawals are over with.
3. I have 45, 5mgs Valium to help with the tremors and what not.
4. I am staying at my familys house, so im not doing it alone.
5. What else is good to take, to take the edge off.

I have made my mind up and I am starting my withdrawal Tuesday the 17th of September. I am sick of being a slave to this drug.

Any advice to help with W/D, please tell.

Thanks Joe...........

8.75mgs youl be ok that's such a low dose I was on 135mgs detox cold turkey took about 2months to feel normal nut nine mgs aint nothing

please use standard English witzh punctuatioon, makes your post more understandable. thanks very much ! Also please address people by name instead of qouting whole posts. Also tyvm.
Old 20-09-2013, 06:40
Silver Member

Male from Australia

@sublusion..........135mgs geez that would be freaking scary and really dangerous, I'm glad you got through it. I suffer from bad aniexty, panic attacks, etc.

I could never jump at 135mgs, well done mate, respect.

Today I have been vomiting in the morning and a bad case of the runs, also peeing alot, every 10 to 15mins. Lower back hurts a bit.
But I can deal with this, I hope that this is the worst it will get. Shall see how the next 2 to 3 days bring.

What was your symptoms jumping off such a high dose.

All the best Joe...

Last edited by Joe29; 20-09-2013 at 06:49. Reason: Adding something
Old 20-09-2013, 07:34
Titanium Member

Female from United Kingdom
charliecat is captain of the psychonauts.charliecat is captain of the psychonauts.charliecat is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 485, Level: 3 Points: 485, Level: 3 Points: 485, Level: 3
Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6%

Joe29
Wow Well done so far

I jumped from about 40ml methadone few years back. Although I jumped onto a short acting opiate (not a good idea because I'm still on it) I still had withdrawals. The worst was the restlessness and slight agitated feeling all the time. I found for me that making sure I got some natural daylight and some exercise even just walking to shop and back really helped. The most lingering w/d was the constant sweating and insomnia which I think you just got to wait out.

You need to keep yourself busy. What's the plan now your clean?
Keep going and every hour/day should start to get better soon.
Old 23-09-2013, 05:40
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

35 y/o Male from United States
sublusion should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

Joe 29 during this two month withdrawal I was three weeks on one week off on a n offshore oil rigg I wouldn't of ben able to find an opiate on the rig anyway . So I didn't really have a choice anyway I only stay off for three months got on subs
Old 05-12-2013, 14:02

60 y/o Male from United States
res309 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Use the valium and get some melotnin and lope, I dropped from 120 to 10 in 3 months and felt fine with those. Melotonin & lope are over the counter.

Share this on:

Tags
methadone, methadone withdrawal, tapering from methadone, withdrawal questions