Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis > Cannabis & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cannabis & Health Health risks, anxiety from cannabis use.

Old 23-08-2013, 23:21

Male from Earth
idreamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
How exactly does Marijuana help reduce pain?

AFOAF had a terrible headache before smoking and was going to toke and take 2 Paracetamol (APAP). However, he found that after he smoked he felt OK and did not need the medicine. Anyway, this got him on to thinking about why MJ helps reduce/relieve pain? I'm looking for the pharmacological explanation and also the direct effect i.e. does it (the high) just distract you? or does MJ reduce pain in same ways as "conventional" pain relievers like NSAIDS, opiates etc?

Tried searching for the answer to this on the web, but got not many useful answers. Would be great for AFOAF to get you guys opinions.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Interesting question. Thanks for asking, I'm looking forward to reading the answers.
Old 30-08-2013, 19:41

Male from Earth
garda_charas should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1
Activity: 25.2% Activity: 25.2% Activity: 25.2%
Re: How exactly does Marijuana help reduce pain?

I really and honestly wish I knew the answer to this. Up shot is, I would also like to get an answer. Also how does it cause anaesthesia? I have also read that it has an anti histamine effect but if it does have that effect then why the Bronchitis, Emphysema and allergic asthma reactions? Exactly where is this anti histamine effect taking place, in the brain?
GC.
Old 30-08-2013, 21:59
Palladium Member

34 y/o Male from United States
rawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 3,431, Level: 8 Points: 3,431, Level: 8 Points: 3,431, Level: 8
Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0%

Cannabis acts on the body's natural endocannibinoid system. This system is still poorly understood from what I gather. It has only been known about since the discovery of anandamide in 1992 and adnaces in understanding are hampered by laws. However the more it is studied the more its importance is becoming apparent - it plays a regulatory role in sleep, appetite, natural analgesia, and basically all of the areas that marijuana itself is active in.

It seems to be a very complex system, and I have only a very passing familiarity with it from some articles I have read so I will not pretend to know much about it. For more complex answers I suggest you research endocannibinoids. I suspect just as certain strains of pot are more analgesic in nature, different endocannibinoids effect pain than do sleep, or whatever.

Personally I think cannabis is a pretty inferior painkiller to opiates - it just doesn't come anywhere close to the analgesia of true opiates or opioids like kratom, and certain types of pain it actually seems to intensify for me! However I have little control over the strain I smoke when I do smoke, and I generally dislike the "heavier" strains which are probably more pain-killing. But it's pretty obvious that cannabis is a great analgesic for many people, and its superiority to opiates in the realm of overdose and addiction are pretty obvious.

Good luck finding the answers you seek!

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good and helpful information. And enough knowledge about endocannibnoids to tease an interest into many.
Old 18-09-2013, 10:33

Male from United States
toppalini needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

it releases dopamine which helps kill the pain. it also releases serotonin and it gets you high which can distract you from the pain if its not too severe. it also acts on the opioid receptors a bit. if it didn't it wouldn't really be that fun to do. it would be more psychedelic-y. but it works just like opiate painkillers like vicodin and oxycontin.
Old 18-09-2013, 10:48
Silver Member

35 y/o Male from USA - Colorado
Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.
Points: 3,349, Level: 8 Points: 3,349, Level: 8 Points: 3,349, Level: 8
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%

I just think it mellows you out, so minor to slightly moderate pain doesn't bother you as much. Its no opiate type of pain medicine. Well, its as good as a couple 5/500 hydros to me. As far as the pain relief effect

Share this on:

Tags
cannabis, marijuana