Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis > Cannabis & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cannabis & Health Health risks, anxiety from cannabis use.

Old 17-12-2010, 15:04
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

23 y/o Male from United Kingdom
FMMus1c is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Cannabis and Risperidone

Are there any harmful interactions between cannabis and the anti-psychotic Risperidone? SWIM is on 4mg daily.
Old 17-12-2010, 15:35
Palladium Member

28 y/o Male from Luxembourg
C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.
Points: 3,601, Level: 8 Points: 3,601, Level: 8 Points: 3,601, Level: 8
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Re: Cannabis and Risperidone

Welcome to DF!

On a first note, for questions like these, please provide more information on your friend's background. How old is he, what is his diagnosis, is risperidone the only drug he takes, etc.?

Generally speaking, there is no reason to suppose that a patient who is on risperidone and who smokes cannabis is going to die or suffer life-threatening side effects, but that's about all the reassuring that one could do here. A scroogle search yields a report on a different forum from a user who reports severe anxiety attacks when smoking cannabis while on risperidone for example.

Besides that though, it is absolutely possible that cannabis use interacts badly with the medical condition itself for which your friend is taking risperidone. My advice here would be to definitely lay off all drugs until your friend is stable, i.e. if he is experiencing mood swings and the like, cannabis (or any other mind-altering substance) is only going to blur the clinical picture, making it more difficult or impossible to adequately assess and treat your friend. If he is stable, he should ask himself some serious questions to which only he can know the answer, notably: what does he expect from cannabis? If he decides to take the risk to find out how it works on him, tell him to start with little amounts and to only do it in the presence of someone else who knows him, his condition, his medical regimen, etc. Antipsychotics and the indications for which they are prescribed are really not be fooled around with.

I hope this information helps!
Old 17-12-2010, 15:50

SWIM is on Risperidone as treatment for drug-induced psychosis. SWIM has thought about using the legal incenses but doesnt want to risk the possible interactions between the risperidone and the unknown chemicals. SWIM also takes 50mg of Sertraline Hydrochloride daily as treatment for anxiety.

Hope this helps.
Old 17-12-2010, 16:04
Palladium Member

C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.

Oh my, ok ,that is about the worst indication I could think of comes when it comes to adding mind-altering substances to the mix.

The first basic rule for the treatment of drug-induced psychosis is complete abstinence. Treatment for drug-induced psychosis and continued drug use is going in two opposite directions, your friend really has to chose one of them, and I'd urge him to choose the former.

By the way, sertraline can contribute to serotonin syndrome, and while there is no clear evidence for cannabis being a contributor to serotonin syndrome, there is anecdotal evidence for it, so that's definitely something to be aware of as well. But, really, your friend should think twice or thrice about doing any drugs, legal or illegal, when suffering from drug-induced psychosis. This is really common sense, no?
Old 17-12-2010, 16:44

Thankyou, that has been some really helpful information. SWIM has been trying to find alternatives to these substances with not much luck. Serotonin Syndrome is SWIM's main concern at the moment.

Many thanks for your guidance, it could have saved SWIM from something terrible.
Old 17-12-2010, 23:03
Palladium Member

No prob, you're welcome!

Feel free to post any other questions your friend may have regarding his treatment, either here or in a separate thread. There's a subforum specifically for antipsychotics to be found here: https://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=132. Alternatively, you could also share your friend's story in the forum that gave him drug-induced psychosis, people would surely appreciate that.

Either way, regarding his treatment: the first step, and I would really suggest your friend stick to that, is to stay abstinent for at least half a year. If, after half a year, psychotic symptoms remain, then chances are it's a regular psychosis that would need classic treatment for psychosis. Drug-induced psychosis should wear off within that time. This is something like a rule of thumb, and by no means a precise diagnostic tool, just to give your friend some orientation. Any decision on future drug use should be made after a solid diagnosis has been established, and actually only if your friend has been symptom-free for a sufficient amount of time. Obviously, the best would be to stay away from drugs altogether.

As I said, feel free to post any other questions your friend may have, and please don't do anything stupid! I wish your friend good luck for his treatment!
Old 19-12-2010, 19:56

SWIM developed drug-induced psychosis after a few months of using the then legal "Ivory Wave" bath salt. Symptoms included paranoia, delusional thoughts, moodswings, multiple personality and major anxiety. SWIM was diagnosed after being sectioned and put in a mental observation ward at a local hospital. SWIM no longer has these symptoms after taking the Risperidone. The anxiety started long before this though, it started after a previous Ivory Wave incident where an ambulance was called.

Many thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 20:47
Banned

26 y/o Male from United States
Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.

The danger of serotonin syndrome should be minimal in a patient taking an anti-psychotic with an anti-depressant + cannabis; in risperidone's case thanks to blockade of 5-HT2a and 5-HTc.

Secondly, drug induced psychosis is by majority a result of stimulant (amphetamine, cocaine, etc) abuse, although marijuana has been linked to the development of schizophrenia. That said, someone who has suffered psychotic episodes and is on an anti-psychotic should generally just remain abstinent from any psychoactive substances as much as possible.

However, any psychosis/psychedelic/hallucinogenic or schizo-typical paranoid behavior that cannabis may induce should be blocked by the pharmacology of Risperidone; and with that, generally some of the pleasurable effects of the THC to boot. (at least that's what SWIM noticed when he was on various anti-psychotics.)

Last edited by Roads; 11-01-2011 at 20:52.
Old 24-06-2013, 11:12

19 y/o Male from United Kingdom
jeubz is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMMus1c View Post
SWIM is on Risperidone as treatment for drug-induced psychosis. SWIM has thought about using the legal incenses but doesnt want to risk the possible interactions between the risperidone and the unknown chemicals. SWIM also takes 50mg of Sertraline Hydrochloride daily as treatment for anxiety.

Hope this helps.
SWIM should definitely smoke cannabis, I'm on 4mg of risperidone for acute drug induced psychosis. I smoke pot all the time, risperidone lowers serotonin and dopamine so I'm never really happy, but weed makes me happy. I also smoke legal incense, they're good and strong. Some can make you sick though, but if you've smoked cannabis that month you're less likely to be sick. So you can smoke either really...

I have a question, I'm now on 2mg of risperidone. I was wondering because both risperidone and mdma mess with your happy hormones, what happens if you mix the two?

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please do not use SWIM http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197306

Share this on:

Tags
amphetamine, amphetamine psychosis, antipsychotic interactions, bath salts, cannabis, drug, drug abuse, good experience, hash, marihuana, marijuana, pot, risperdal, risperidone, smoking cannabis, thc, thc side effects, weed

» New Threads
More likely to get blitzed when...
Last post by slide
6 Replies, 116 Views
Tripping out after the fact w/o...
Last post by detoxin momma
2 Replies, 26 Views
10 days baby!!
Last post by Sweeny
2 Replies, 33 Views
cant seem to hit a vein ever
Last post by detoxin momma