Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 08-04-2013, 20:47

Male from United States
lmthenry is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Is this combo really bad for the liver...

My friend's dog takes the following combination about once every 2-3 weeks:

10mg oxycodone (with a total of 650mg APAP) + 10mg diazepam + 2 standard drinks of alcohol.

The dog has never felt close to passing out and likes the effects of it (it's a dog, after all). The dog usually precedes each of these experiences with 1 pill of Tagamet (Cimitidine), which is I guess 200mg, and about 12 oz grapefruit juice.

The dog asked me how harmful this would be to its liver. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to answer the dog? The dog does drink about 1-2 standard drinks per day but never uses APAP on any other occasions.
Old 08-04-2013, 20:56
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.
Points: 945, Level: 4 Points: 945, Level: 4 Points: 945, Level: 4
Activity: 54.8% Activity: 54.8% Activity: 54.8%
Re: Is this combo really bad for the liver...

10mg oxycodone (with a total of 650mg APAP) + 10mg diazepam + 2 standard drinks of alcohol

will be pretty hard on your liver...

besides being unsafe!

why don't you do a cold water extraction wash with that oxy?

why would you mix a downer with ethanol and a benzo?

this is a receipt for a disaster
Old 21-04-2013, 05:15

Male from Germany
wolfgangpuck should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

I'd say its fine. But just to be safe get your liver function tests done periodically. Ask for an ALT and AST.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good advice to get a liver function test done.
Old 30-04-2013, 12:43
Silver Member

45 y/o Male from United States
mayhem1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmthenry View Post
My friend's dog takes the following combination about once every 2-3 weeks:

10mg oxycodone (with a total of 650mg APAP) + 10mg diazepam + 2 standard drinks of alcohol.

The dog has never felt close to passing out and likes the effects of it (it's a dog, after all). The dog usually precedes each of these experiences with 1 pill of Tagamet (Cimitidine), which is I guess 200mg, and about 12 oz grapefruit juice.

The dog asked me how harmful this would be to its liver. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to answer the dog? The dog does drink about 1-2 standard drinks per day but never uses APAP on any other occasions.
dont you know your never supposed to mix opiates with benzo's?? you might not wake up!

Post Quality Evaluations:
very true, these two drugs become quite dangerous when mixed.
Old 30-04-2013, 14:01
Mercury Member

23 y/o Male from USA - West Virginia
jarlaxle needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

just about any combo of pills is very bad especially opiates....however there is a solution. 1 take roxi/oxycodone which is percocet without the tylenol. 2 cold water extraction. there is many teks on it here and basicly u take everything bu tthe oxycodone out. hope i helped and some1 didnt already give u this info , i only read qestion and not answer ))). oh and well there is actually another solution. dont take but thats no fun is it?

jarlaxle added 3 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

oh and benzo and opiate bad idea. 1 might kill ya, 2 i find that alcohol and benzos kill an opiate buzz. i can be nodding take 1 shot and completly lose my buzz....but it might be i just hate alcohol and benzos... i dont understand zanax never understood why any1 would wanna take something that makes u retarded and feel like sh it... i get high to feel good not say well im so tired i think ill just set on the couch and not move b/c i feel like sh it. sorry for gettin a bit off topic

jarlaxle added 5 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

i will once again double post.... im sorry i thought u said 10 oxycodones but u actually said 10 mg oxycodone... this dose is probly about equivelant to a shot of water... i doubt you liver would even sneeze at it. no need for cold water extraction.... i remember when i got high off a dos such as that... be carefull or ull end up takin 40 or so of those 10 mg tablets a day like me

Last edited by jarlaxle; 30-04-2013 at 14:01. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-05-2013, 04:16
On Hiatus

Male from United States
baZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,240, Level: 12 Points: 7,240, Level: 12 Points: 7,240, Level: 12
Activity: 21.8% Activity: 21.8% Activity: 21.8%

Okay, I usually feel like the resident APAP police and I'm usually the one to be super overly cautious about ingesting APAP, but honestly I don't think what you've described is all that troubling at least in terms of your liver.

Objectively, no, it's not safe to mix any amount of APAP and alcohol. However, you're talking about occasionally taking slightly over half of the maximum amount of APAP in one dose and a fairly small amount of alcohol, if it is indeed two drinks. If you were either taking a full 1000mg of APAP or binge drinking or both, I would tell you to cut it out. If you were doing this every day, I would tell you to cut it out. But as long as you're telling the truth, you're doing none of those things. What you're doing is not really all that unsafe. That said, it would be that much safer if you did a cold water extraction on the Percocet. Here is a link: CWE Lists, Links, & Manuals

Really the more troubling thing, as others have touched on, is the combination of three different CNS depressants. This is really not good, and it's actually even less safe because of how infrequently you do it. If you're really only taking oxycodone once every few weeks (and possibly the diazepam too?) you're not going to have the "safety net" of a tolerance to help combat the additive effects of mixing depressants. I would be way more worried about the possibility of you asphyxiating than needing a new liver.

So in short, no, 650mg of APAP and two drinks is really not the end of the world. Go get a liver function test to be on the safe side, but if I had to guess everything will be 100% normal. Taking any more of either the APAP or booze and you need to extract the oxycodone, but at these levels it's probably OK. However, you really should not be mixing 3 different CNS depressants, especially opiates and benzos. This combination has, does, and will continue to kill and you don't want to be the next one to go.

Really, it's always safer to extract the opiate from a combination product with APAP. While I think I've made it clear that it's unlikely the amounts you're talking about will harm your liver, you probably shouldn't be drinking with the Percocet anyway because of the dangers of combining CNS depressants. If you stop mixing the two, then there's certainly no real harm in 650mg of APAP in a dose. Ultimately, it's your choice, but hopefully the replies you've gotten have been of some help and can steer you in the right direction.

Last edited by baZING; 01-05-2013 at 04:22.
Old 10-06-2013, 14:39

Male from United States
lmthenry is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by baZING View Post
Okay, I usually feel like the resident APAP police and I'm usually the one to be super overly cautious about ingesting APAP, but honestly I don't think what you've described is all that troubling at least in terms of your liver.

Objectively, no, it's not safe to mix any amount of APAP and alcohol. However, you're talking about occasionally taking slightly over half of the maximum amount of APAP in one dose and a fairly small amount of alcohol, if it is indeed two drinks. If you were either taking a full 1000mg of APAP or binge drinking or both, I would tell you to cut it out. If you were doing this every day, I would tell you to cut it out. But as long as you're telling the truth, you're doing none of those things. What you're doing is not really all that unsafe. That said, it would be that much safer if you did a cold water extraction on the Percocet. Here is a link: CWE Lists, Links, & Manuals

Really the more troubling thing, as others have touched on, is the combination of three different CNS depressants. This is really not good, and it's actually even less safe because of how infrequently you do it. If you're really only taking oxycodone once every few weeks (and possibly the diazepam too?) you're not going to have the "safety net" of a tolerance to help combat the additive effects of mixing depressants. I would be way more worried about the possibility of you asphyxiating than needing a new liver.

So in short, no, 650mg of APAP and two drinks is really not the end of the world. Go get a liver function test to be on the safe side, but if I had to guess everything will be 100% normal. Taking any more of either the APAP or booze and you need to extract the oxycodone, but at these levels it's probably OK. However, you really should not be mixing 3 different CNS depressants, especially opiates and benzos. This combination has, does, and will continue to kill and you don't want to be the next one to go.

Really, it's always safer to extract the opiate from a combination product with APAP. While I think I've made it clear that it's unlikely the amounts you're talking about will harm your liver, you probably shouldn't be drinking with the Percocet anyway because of the dangers of combining CNS depressants. If you stop mixing the two, then there's certainly no real harm in 650mg of APAP in a dose. Ultimately, it's your choice, but hopefully the replies you've gotten have been of some help and can steer you in the right direction.
UPDATE: Liver test came back fine. But a question...

After 5+ years of this exact combination (yes, honestly), taken on average once very 2-4 weeks, would there still be a really dangerous situation here? Yes, the combo of the three drugs is inherently dangerous, but after years of using this combo without deviating in the amounts in any way, is it still as dangerous? And if so, why?

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.
Old 24-06-2013, 00:30
Silver Member

Female from United States
lolakat is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7%

Glad everything is cool, but I'm going to reply anyway for shits and giggles. I'm a person with chronic health issues and I take about 40 doses of meds a day. I found that APAP is very hard on your body(like the above poster mentioned) especially in conjunction with other prescription & OTC meds. Many folks think that because it's OTC that is safe. Tylenol is a liver killer.

I myself was on a brief trial of Tramadol, which is supposed to be safer, after about 15 pills later I went in with shoulder and asthma pain. My ALT/AST were through the roof (almost quadrupled) and I was hospitalized for a few days. I was pulled off everything and put on Oxycodone because it contains nothing but the pain med and told that I could not go over 3000 mg. of APAP.

I guess it just goes to show how different our bodies react to different medicines.
Old 24-06-2013, 06:10
Titanium Member

42 y/o Male from Australia
out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.
Points: 2,306, Level: 7 Points: 2,306, Level: 7 Points: 2,306, Level: 7
Activity: 4.1% Activity: 4.1% Activity: 4.1%

I agree with most of the others. 650mg of APAP is not that much. The maximum is 1 gram every 6 hours so you are way below that. In fact all of the dosages you are describing are well within safe limits but it's probably more the combination that you should avoid.

Why not try spacing out the various drugs. Alcohol kind of wipes out any good effects of oxycodone for me and I think it's a waste to do both together apart from the fact that it is somewhat dangerous.

I would generally take oxy/diazepam in the mornings, enjoy my day and then have a couple of drinks at night. That way you are spacing out your drugs and getting the most out of each.
Old 28-06-2013, 04:09
Mercury Member

24 y/o Male from United States
BudBarsBlues needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

Yeah any of the alcohol or APAP at all in any dose really isn't beneficial to your liver however the amounts your stating really isn't a lot. I know people who have ingested over 1000MG of APAP from Percs and drank way more drinks. They were fine. You'll be fine...

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol, diazepam, oxycodone