Register Tags

Notices

Old 21-04-2013, 21:28

29 y/o Female from Canada
RegCgh is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
Injection site very sore and swollen but no bruising

Does anybody know what it could mean if the injection site is suddenly sore and has a hard, somewhat swollen area close to the site?? If the user was using clean needles, experienced, got blood return before injecting....and didn't miss the vein, what could be the cause of the soreness and hard swollen area? If a vein gets blown there would be bruizing...
It could be an infection maybe?? But why....if alcohol swab, sterile needle, and proper injection technique were used...what kind of infection could it be, and is it dangerous?
If anybody has any ideas please write back.

P.S. Just joined today, and this is my first post
Old 21-04-2013, 22:07
Palladium Member

40 y/o Female from England
source must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medline
Points: 5,099, Level: 10 Points: 5,099, Level: 10 Points: 5,099, Level: 10
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%
Re: Injection site very sore and swollen but no bruising

A sore hard lump could be a missed vein, even though you dismiss this in your post, it's still quite feasible. For example, if the needle was not fully into the vein it would still register as though it was and the chances of the needle moving slightly and missing as you inject are still quite high. I have also missed veins and a lump has also appeared further on down the vein.

If it is red and hot it could also be an infection, even if it is not red and hot an infection should never be ruled out, keep your eye on the area and make sure that it is clean.

I will just simply say what everyone else will say at this point, and that is get yourself down to an emergency room if it gets worse or you are really worried about it. The majority of members here are not trained professionals and are unable to diagnose over the interwebz.

I hope it goes down within the next 30 minutes or so, if it's a missed vein you should see some improvement by then. I hope that it gets better anyway, and welcome to DF
Old 21-04-2013, 22:22

Well it's not hot, but it is pretty big and very hard....so dang it is probably an infection. It has been there for over a day, it hasn't gotten worse, but hasn't gotten better either. So I guess just keep an eye on it still? So you can miss a vein, even with significant blood return, and it felt normal going in?? I always thought if you miss the vein that it wouldn't inject properly or you wouldn't feel the drug....oh geez well hopefully it will just go away

Thanks for the advice!! I LOVE this site
Old 21-04-2013, 22:55
Palladium Member

40 y/o Female from England
source must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medline
Points: 5,099, Level: 10 Points: 5,099, Level: 10 Points: 5,099, Level: 10
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

I meant that you could miss but the needle goes back into the vein, hence why I said the needle was not fully in the vein (ie. not centred, on the edge, wrong angle etc) if the needle moved back into the vein you wouldn't feel it and would carry on injecting as normal.
If you miss a vein and the needle stays 'out' then that would seriously sting when you pushed down on the plunger.

You didn't state how long this lump has been there for in your first post. I assumed you had only just injected. I have missed veins before and still had a lump the next day, although it normally would have gone down in size.

It could be an abscess forming, I would get it looked at by a doctor since it has been there for a whole day now.
Seriously... "oh geez well hopefully it will just go away" is not the attitude to have with injecting drugs. Don't just leave it if you are worried, and especially not if it is sore, get it looked at!

Post Quality Evaluations:
Definitive common sense responses throughout this thread. This is excellent safety conscious counsel.
Old 21-04-2013, 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
I meant that you could miss but the needle goes back into the vein, hence why I said the needle was not fully in the vein (ie. not centred, on the edge, wrong angle etc) if the needle moved back into the vein you wouldn't feel it and would carry on injecting as normal.
If you miss a vein and the needle stays 'out' then that would seriously sting when you pushed down on the plunger.

You didn't state how long this lump has been there for in your first post. I assumed you had only just injected. I have missed veins before and still had a lump the next day, although it normally would have gone down in size.

It could be an abscess forming, I would get it looked at by a doctor since it has been there for a whole day now.
Seriously... "oh geez well hopefully it will just go away" is not the attitude to have with injecting drugs. Don't just leave it if you are worried, and especially not if it is sore, get it looked at!
Okay, I will get it looked at if it isn't better tomorrow. It has been there since last night...so 24 hr. But in the 24 hours it hasn't gotten any worse, it is still hard and swollen, but not red anymore...and its not visable really. Like nobody would notice it on my arm, it is very deep. I know what an abscess is, but I don't know what causes them.
I must be doing something wrong....I have a lot of trouble getting a vein in the first place because my veins are VERY deep, so I always go for the AC in the bend of my elbow. If that vein is used too much do you think that would cause an infection?
I don't know what other vein I can use, they are all sooo deep, or the ones I can find are so tiny they would blow for sure!!
Old 22-04-2013, 01:13
may cause drowsiness

31 y/o Male from USA - New Hampshire
I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.
Points: 2,434, Level: 7 Points: 2,434, Level: 7 Points: 2,434, Level: 7
Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3%

It is certainly possible that you did indeed hit the vein at first but, you could have slipped out mid plunge..

Am I to understand you were IV'ing Morphine?

If you were IV"ing morphine from a solution made from a crushed morphine pill instead of a sealed-unused medical ampule then an abscess could certainly be your problem.

Either way, the best advice ANYONE here could give you in the name of harm reduction is to seek medical treatment from a licensed medical professional.

The last thing anyone of us here want to see is someone losing a limb because they hit the "interweb" for medical advice when a Dr was necessary.

Not trying to be a dink.. Just want to make sure you are safe.

Please keep us updated

Stay Safe

JJ

I_MISS_160s added 2 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegCgh View Post
Okay, I will get it looked at if it isn't better tomorrow. It has been there since last night...so 24 hr. But in the 24 hours it hasn't gotten any worse, it is still hard and swollen, but not red anymore...and its not visable really. Like nobody would notice it on my arm, it is very deep. I know what an abscess is, but I don't know what causes them.
I must be doing something wrong....I have a lot of trouble getting a vein in the first place because my veins are VERY deep, so I always go for the AC in the bend of my elbow. If that vein is used too much do you think that would cause an infection?
I don't know what other vein I can use, they are all sooo deep, or the ones I can find are so tiny they would blow for sure!!

Please be very careful using "very deep veins".. You could accidentally hit an artery causing the loss of a limb or possibly even death. Remember.. when in doubt,, plug it out

Stay Safe
JJ

Post Quality Evaluations:
First rate safety advice. Clearly stated and substantive in content. Thank you.

Last edited by I_MISS_160s; 22-04-2013 at 01:13. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 22-04-2013, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_MISS_160s View Post
It is certainly possible that you did indeed hit the vein at first but, you could have slipped out mid plunge..

Am I to understand you were IV'ing Morphine?

If you were IV"ing morphine from a solution made from a crushed morphine pill instead of a sealed-unused medical ampule then an abscess could certainly be your problem.

Either way, the best advice ANYONE here could give you in the name of harm reduction is to seek medical treatment from a licensed medical professional.

The last thing anyone of us here want to see is someone losing a limb because they hit the "interweb" for medical advice when a Dr was necessary.

Not trying to be a dink.. Just want to make sure you are safe.

Please keep us updated

Stay Safe

JJ

I_MISS_160s added 2 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

Please be very careful using "very deep veins".. You could accidentally hit an artery causing the loss of a limb or possibly even death. Remember.. when in doubt,, plug it out

Stay Safe
JJ
Okay, I woke up this morning and it is definitely just a missed vein. There is no visible lump, or redness, just a bit sore still.
Thank You for your advice.

Also I don't really want to start a new thread, but remember I was mentioning that I have very very deep veins....well I always have to use my AC in my the fold of my elbow because i litterally can't find any other veins.
Two years ago I had Chemotherapy, and even the nurses would have a heck of a time trying to find a vein to put my IV in everytime. My veins are just sooo deep which is weird because i don't have much body fat, so I don't know why they are so deep. On top of being deep they are loaded with valves, and nurses have blown a vein everytime I have had an IV inserted which is more times than I can keep track of.
So does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to use? I use hot compresses, eat sugar, and drink lots of water...I do everything to try and get those veins to show, but nothing seems to work. The only veins I can actually see are in my wrist and they are sooo tiny, and the ones on the back of my hand are blown to crap and full of valves from Chemotherapy....so where else can i find a good place to use?
Old 23-04-2013, 21:31
may cause drowsiness

31 y/o Male from USA - New Hampshire
I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.I_MISS_160s really knows their shit.
Points: 2,434, Level: 7 Points: 2,434, Level: 7 Points: 2,434, Level: 7
Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegCgh View Post
Okay, I woke up this morning and it is definitely just a missed vein. There is no visible lump, or redness, just a bit sore still.
Thank You for your advice.

Also I don't really want to start a new thread, but remember I was mentioning that I have very very deep veins....well I always have to use my AC in my the fold of my elbow because i litterally can't find any other veins.
Two years ago I had Chemotherapy, and even the nurses would have a heck of a time trying to find a vein to put my IV in everytime. My veins are just sooo deep which is weird because i don't have much body fat, so I don't know why they are so deep. On top of being deep they are loaded with valves, and nurses have blown a vein everytime I have had an IV inserted which is more times than I can keep track of.
So does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to use? I use hot compresses, eat sugar, and drink lots of water...I do everything to try and get those veins to show, but nothing seems to work. The only veins I can actually see are in my wrist and they are sooo tiny, and the ones on the back of my hand are blown to crap and full of valves from Chemotherapy....so where else can i find a good place to use?

Sorry to quote the entire post but, its not a very big post and I feel it necessary..

Anyway, Yes there are numerous threads already started about this and as we are in the process of trying to clean up threads here on DF and to keep this thread on topic I am just going to give you a link to check out that I think you might find helpful..

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...=finding+veins

Stay Safe
JJ

Share this on:

Tags
inject morphine, injection problems, injection sites, intravenous drug use, kadian, lump after injecting, lump at injection site, lump caused by injecting, missing a vein, missing veins, morphine, morphine administration routes, opiate addiction, opiate addiction experiences, pain killers, vein damage from injecting, vein problems

» New Threads
Are there any other mothers out...
Last post by Trying Again
6 Replies, 553 Views
Good, intelligent, kind chemistry?
Last post by Diverboone
4 Replies, 240 Views
Question about Hydromorphone.
Last post by Yung jizzle
12 Replies, 2,677 Views
Opiate and benzos withdrawal...
Last post by Dawn Godess