Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > VARIOUS DRUG RELATED TOPICS > The euphoric body > Drug testing discussion
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Drug testing discussion What can you do against drug testing & more...

Old 10-04-2013, 17:40

41 y/o Male from United States
Wisdom73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%
Chronic Pain Management Contract Drug Test (What to do?)

My pet monkey is in a little bit of a pickle. He has been suffering from chronic pain due to two herniated discs in his lower back, for which his medical provider has him enrolled in the chronic pain management program and doctor prescribes him 60, 325/10 hydrocodone every 30 days for pain. My pet monkey also has been a heavy marijuana user for a long time. Coming from a family which has a history of anxiety and extreme OCD, he finds that marijuana greatly helps with his own anxiety and stress, as well as helps him fall to sleep at night. This monkey also has been suffering from night terrors which wake him up minutes after first falling asleep, and then it takes an hour or two to calm down and go back to sleep. The marijuana helps greatly here as after having a night terror, a small amount can be smoked and decrease the amount of time it takes to fall back asleep, as well as prevents another night terror from occurring. So today my doctor send me the dreaded pain management contract to sign, which also outlines their request that I take a urine drug test. From what my pet monkey has discovered in researching, these tests are used to confirm that the prescribed opioid pain reliever is being used and not sold on the street, as well as looking for any other non-prescribed substances which may indicate drug abuse, etc. If one was to fail these tests, then the medical provider can refuse further treatment and refuse to prescribe any future opioid medications. During the chronic pain management classes he took, someone asked about medicinal marijuana for pain relief and the answer given was that they do not recognize it as a viable treatment for any ailment, and that depending on your doctor, you may be refused future treatment if you are a marijuana user.

So my pet monkey has a decision to make. He does not have a set test date or time, they leave it up to my monkey to come in at his own convenience and test as long as it is done within the next 6 weeks. He is not sure whether to suck it up, and get clean just to take the test (most likely if he tests clean, he would not be required to test again). Or to basically be straightforward and honest with his doctor and explain his concern that he has used marijuana and if this doctor would refuse treatment should the test come back positive. If so, then this monkey will not come in and test for a couple of weeks until he is clean. If they don’t care, then this monkey is willing to come in and test today. If you were in my monkey’s shoes, what would you do? Mind you, this monkey’s test needs to come back showing positive for opioids, but negative for everything else.

Again, this monkey uses marijuana quite successfully for stress and for sleep aid. He prefers this to taking prescribed medications for sleep or anxiety. In fact he has told his therapist about his marijuana use and his anxiety and sleep issues, and the therapist prefers not to use medications but rather let him try to correct without them. It does make this monkey quite angry that they assume that just because an opioid patient uses marijuana, then he is abusing drugs and will cut them off, but yet are still allowed to consume alcohol which is far more dangerous mixed with opioids.
Old 10-04-2013, 18:05
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute
Re: Chronic Pain Management Contract Drug Test (What to do?)

Where do you get the idea that if you pass once, you never have to take a test again? Most places make you test every month when you come in. At the very least, the do random tests every few months.

As paranoid as pain mgmt. doctors are nowadays, the last thing that would ever cross my mind to do is tell them I use illegal drugs. Do not tell them you smoke pot or that you used to smoke pot for your conditions. It won't help you in anyway. They probably will kick you off if you fail for anything or at the very least, make you come in for regular drug tests and pill counts. These clinics are crazy. I've never gone to one but have known tons of people that have.

You have to decided which drug you need more, the hydrocodone or the pot. Two 10 mg Lortabs a day isn't very much really. You could probably find a doctor to give you tramadol instead. Most doctors don't mind giving tramadol. That way you could have something for pain and still smoke pot. But if you're going to the clinic, you can't smoke pot, at least not on a regular basis. I mean, you could try fake urine and one of those fake cocks but IDK if they work or not.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2013, 19:22

The reason I don’t think they will regular test is that my pet monkey has been in the program and been prescribed hydrocodone for over two years now without being tested once. His regular doctor relocated about 6 months ago and the new doctor now needs to update the past pain contract and has requested the test. I have the feeling once this test is complete, it will be a long time before they request another one. They appear to not be very stringent as I have heard other pain management clinics are. Maybe because my pet monkey is not taking a very high dosage of opioids compared to others with the same condition. He has never asked for dosage increases, never asked for early refills, etc. And even though he has a pain management doctor, she does not prescribe or monitor medications, but rather leaves it up to the general practitioner to handle opioid pain medication prescriptions. During the pain management classes he took, another attendee asked about medicinal marijuana as chronic pain treatment which they answered that it is not recognized as viable option for any ailment, and that it is up to each individual doctor whether they will refuse treatment for its use or not.

Part of me says maybe they would appreciate me being fully honest and straightforward, and might overlook a positive for marijuana on the test as long as informed them up front and they didn’t see anything else. He had informed his last doctor and therapist of his occasional use previously. The doctor never asked anything more about it, the therapist asked him if he thought his use was interfering with other aspects of his life which the answer was no, and then he never asked anything more about it. However, the other part of me says don’t even open this can of worms with them, wait it out for several weeks until clean, then just go test. My monkey is leaning towards the latter, just don’t tell them anything and get clean. Honestly he would like to continue to use both. He does not want to resort to being prescribed xanax or any sleep medications for his issues. He would prefer to continue using marijuana for these instead.

Just frustrating how society has completely demonized marijuana to the point that a doctor will refuse to continue prescribing opioids if you are using it, yet could still drink alcohol which is extremely dangerous when mixed with opioids and while they do have issue with it, will not refuse treatment because alcohol is a legal and socially acceptable drug. Praise the day when marijuana is legalized across the board and recognized to not even compare to alcohol in terms of damaging effects.
Old 10-04-2013, 20:00
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

From how I understood your post, I thought you were saying your doctor would no longer prescribe you the pills and you had to go to a pain mgmt clinic instead. Is that not the case? That's how it is around here, you might have a doc that will give you 'tabs for a while but anything long term, most of them want you to go to pain mgmt. They worry about addiction and abuse plus there's the KASPER system here in KY (prescription monitoring system) which is really fucking a lot of people, but that's another story. So I'm basing my advice of what I know of the places around here. You have to go in at least once every three months and take a drug screen and you have to submit to random pill counts (they don't really do this unless they think you are abusing/selling). They are very strict here. The tests are also very sensitive and wide ranging (I know methylphenidate is tested for which is pretty rare). I've known several people to get kicked off for smoking pot. Not on the first failure but if they fail 2 or 3, yeah.

So I don't know exactly what your situation is. Your doctors could be different. But I still don't see any good coming from you saying you smoke pot and are wondering if you'll get kicked off if you fail.

I agree with you on all your points but the system isn't fair. It's much better for you to smoke pot for sleep than be on benzos but the doctors aren't cool with it. That's just how it is.
Old 10-04-2013, 20:53

No. The doctor basically provided the last refill, and at that time stated that my monkey needed to update my pain management contract which she mailed to him. In that notice in the mail they state that in addition to signing and mailing back the contract, that he has 6 weeks to also go to the lab and have a urine test conducted. It is assumed that the doctor will not provide any additional refills until this test is taken. The system here is a little different than how I have heard other pain management clinics operate. After attending an 8 week chronic pain class, there is a dedicated RN who then checks up with the patients monthly or bimonthly for one year following the class to see how pain is being managed. They discuss flare-up plans, stress factors and if referrals to behavioural health need to be made, or provide resources to attend additional classes for insomnia, depression, etc., etc. They will also discuss medications, however they do not handle writing prescriptions or medications but rather leave it to the general practitioner doctor to do so. Not sure if the pain management nurse and doctor communicate with each other unless necessary or requested. Here in California, medicinal marijuana is legal and use is extremely widespread for both those with a card, and those without. So much so that it is what has my monkey partially thinking just saying up front that he had used recently and therefore give them a heads up that the test will show positive, may not be a big deal to them and they may actually respect him for it and overlook it. But again, that is a big gamble he is not sure he wants to take.

If he was to come clean on use, or test and come up positive for marijuana and they had issue with it, they would give him the opportunity to correct it before completely kicking him out of treatment. But again if he does make them aware of it, and then does get clean to pass the test, then they might begin testing more regularly down the road. It is truly a double edged sword. Can you tell my pet monkey doesn’t want to stop using marijuana? It truly does provide relief. My monkey has been investigating some of the faster ways to get cleansed. He has time on his side but would still prefer to get clean as quickly as possible to get the test over with. Today is planned as day one without. His plan is to exercise regularly to release the TCH in the fat cells, drink plenty of water, cranberry juice, etc. and hopes to get clean in about 14 days or so if possible. He has used marijuana daily for the last several years so he knows it is going to be a challenge to cleanse in less than 30 days but he believes it can be done. He also knows most detox drinks are bogus and totally subjective depending on the person. He knows some others who have had success with detox/masking products which are drank just before the test, but concerned they will also mask the opioids which need to show up on the test otherwise they will conclude that they are possibly being sold on the street.
Old 15-04-2013, 17:59

Well just to follow up, my pet monkey has decided to taper himself off the hydrocodone and continue marijuana use despite what his doctor's think. He is tired of his medical care not being a simply doctor-patient relationship but rather Kaiser policies-patient relationship. He has simply become to reliant on pain medication anyways and doesn't put as much effort into his own exercise and self care to improve his condition when he has hydro to fall back on. He hopes to utilize non-narcotic pain medications if needed coupled with better self care. He is going to go take the drug test and simply tell his doctor the truth about his marijuana use and that they don't need to bother telling him that they will refuse further opioid scrips as he would like to taper off and discontinue use anyways. Perhaps one day the federal government and the FDA will wake up and actually work to serve the patients best interests rather than the pharmaceutical companies. This monkey is going to make it official and go get his medicinal marijuana card.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Thanks for coming back and providing an update. I would also be interested in how your switch from opioids to MMJ will work out, don't hesitate to open a thread on that subject if you like...

Share this on:

Tags
marijuana, opioids