Register Tags

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 22:14

Female from United States
koali777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%
Blood clots

I told my friend I'd look this up but couldn't find much. Might as well as fellow injectors. If someone has a pulmonary embolism that is being actively treated via shots of blood thinners (but not staying in the hospital) would it be an idiotic idea to shoot up still? Or should he wait for the healing process to be over?
Old 12-04-2013, 23:00
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute
Re: Blood clots

Dude, are you for real? No, he should not be injecting anything if he's on blood thinners! Do I even need to guess what he got the embolism from??

Tell him to snort his dope if he has to do it at all. Or if it's tar to smoke it. But really, it might be time for him to look into Suboxone or methadone.

Post Quality Evaluations:
this is just common sense.
Old 12-04-2013, 23:04
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
Thirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPAC
Points: 3,027, Level: 8 Points: 3,027, Level: 8 Points: 3,027, Level: 8
Activity: 8.9% Activity: 8.9% Activity: 8.9%

Hi Koali

Pulmonary embolism is a very serious condition which can be life threatening. Even whilst it is being treated there can be complications. So yes, it would be foolish to contiue using H , and it would be even better if he could quit altogether as Heroin causes structural changes to the lung and lung infections. Please note the article below-

Massive hemoptysis in intravenous drug users: Case report and review of literature

V.Aiyappan and M.Muthiah

Ann Thorac Med. 2007 Jan-Mar; 2(1): 36.

Quote:

Dear Sir,
Drug abuse being a rising menace in developing nations, the re-emergence of necrotizing infections in this vulnerable population and its association with massive hemoptysis are issues that need to be addressed.

A 25-year-old intravenous drug user (using heroin) was brought to the Accident and Emergency ward after an episode of massive hemoptysis. He was being treated in the Community for chest infection for the preceding 2 weeks and had been having minor hemoptysis for 3 days. On arrival he was unresponsive. Resuscitation attempts were unsuccessful. Postmortem showed right-sided lung abscess with intraabscess cavity hemorrhage and right-sided empyema. There was no evidence of infective endocarditis/mycotic aneurysms. No organisms were isolated from the abscess.

A 28-year-old intravenous drug user (using heroin) was admitted with history of cough and hemoptysis (100 ml). He was on warfarin for deep vein thrombosis. International Normalized Ratio on admission was 1.6. Physical examination was unremarkable. He underwent computerized tomographic pulmonary angiogram, which showed infective changes in right upper lobe and lower lobe and small thrombus in right upper lobe artery. He was treated with antibiotics and his anticoagulation was continued. His symptoms subsided. Blood culture was negative. Three days later he had massive hemoptysis, and he died. Postmortem showed diffuse dissemination of blood throughout bronchial tree; scarring and bronchiectatic changes, right lower lobe; no evidence of infection/ thromboembolism/ endocarditis. Massive hemoptysis was attributed to bronchiectasis and anticoagulation.

Massive hemoptysis is arbitrarily defined as expectoration of 100 to 600 ml of blood in 24 h.[1] It is a life-threatening condition meriting prompt intervention. In the general population, the commonest causes of massive hemoptysis are bronchiectasis and lung infections.
Intravenous drug users damage their lung by direct effects of the drug itself, by the act of injection or by indirect effects (HIV and other infections). Heroin and cocaine are the main illicit drugs used intravenously. Intravenous heroin has been reported to cause structural changes in the lung, leading to bronchiectasis.[2]

IV drug use related behavior results in increased incidence of pulmonary infections. O'Donnell and Pappas reported an incidence of 23.5% of septic pulmonary emboli in intravenous drug users.[3] Heroin has been reported to alter the immune function by its effect on inducible nitric oxide synthase, and its use may lead to increased susceptibility to infection.[2]

The incidence of massive hemoptysis in intravenous drug users is not known. IV drug use related behavior puts these people at increased risk of severe necrotizing lung infections. This is complicated by associated factors like deep vein thrombosis and anticoagulation. In addition, there is the issue of poor compliance to treatment. Because of the above factors, this group of patients is at high risk of death from massive hemoptysis.
From PubMed article PMC2732072

This needs to be taken seriously and I wish your friend well
T4K

Post Quality Evaluations:
good info

Last edited by Thirst4knowledge; 13-04-2013 at 00:40.
Old 13-04-2013, 00:22

Female from United States
koali777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

I really appreciate this. It was hard for me to feel I could give advice because since I am not personally a heroin user, I would just look like I was saying, "Drugs are bad." Thing is, I don't think the drug is bad, I think the blood clot is bad. I just wanted "evidence" or "anecdotal evidence" or whatever so thank you for the replies. I wish said person would quit too...BECAUSE of the clots.

koali777 added 3 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Oh, and I totally didn't think of the blood thinner part of this (I mean an interaction) but I should have...it seems every medication says to be careful if you're on Warfarin or something. Scary.

Last edited by koali777; 13-04-2013 at 00:22. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 14-04-2013, 14:09
Titanium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.
Points: 1,526, Level: 5 Points: 1,526, Level: 5 Points: 1,526, Level: 5
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

Complete madness! Reminds me of the double amputee guy that injected his eye with temazepam "jelly" and ended up blind in both eyes with no legs.

Once bitten twice shy?
Old 14-04-2013, 14:24
Titanium Member

45 y/o Female from United States
gal68 must live here.gal68 must live here.gal68 must live here.gal68 must live here.gal68 must live here.gal68 must live here.gal68 must live here.
Points: 841, Level: 4 Points: 841, Level: 4 Points: 841, Level: 4
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

Coumadin/Warfarin is not something to mess with. The adverse reactions are fatal unless you have immediate medical attention on hand. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 20-04-2013, 20:38
Silver Member

38 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Sinead67 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 133, Level: 1 Points: 133, Level: 1 Points: 133, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

I had a bloodclott and was on bloodthinners for nearly 5 month,and foolishly kept injecting. I just couldn't stop myself and if I'm honest i didn't care.
But the MAJOR difference is,mine was in my leg,and hadn't travelled anywhere else,so my advice,like everyone elses;DEFINATELY TELL HIM TO STOP INJECTING!!!!

Share this on:

Tags
heroin