Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Oxycodone
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 23-02-2013, 02:31
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Brooklyn11 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 165, Level: 2 Points: 165, Level: 2 Points: 165, Level: 2
Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0%
Oxycontin allergy? Do you have one? Trouble Breathing?

Brand new here want to introduce myself and see if anyone else is experiencing allergies related to oxycontin. I have been doing them for about a year now and been getting off of 5-7 MGs, I recently have upped my dose to about 20mgs and am experiencing difficulty swallowing. Also my friend can do like freaken 80mgs of this stuff and be okay its not like im doing a huge dose or anything.

The first time this happened i pretty much thought i wasn't going to wake up the next morning, i could breath fine but for some reason could not swallow which almost gave me a panic attack like (am I minutes away from my throat closing up?).

I did some research and found that this is an anxiety related symptom and i have been experiencing a lot lately but i'm more inclined to blame it on the drug.

So is this some kind of anaphalctic shock? I have tried taking several benedryl and perscribed oral anti histamine and no help, so i don't understand how it could be an allergy, also those things dry out your mouth and throat making the problem even worse.

There was several times where i did actually break out into hives but this was like 7-8 hours after i actually took the oxycontin, can i real have a reaction that late? wtf? These episodes seem to always occur at night, like right before i bed i lay down and i realize that yup my throat doesn't work again! wtf! Why are these happening so long after the high has been gone?

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated as i don't want to lose my euphoric mind, but also i don't want to die (can you die from this?). Any counteracting agents i could take so as to offset the drug while still keeping the high?

Another thought is maybe snorting them is causing the throat problems? Some kind of post nasal drip irritating the throat? Although i did neti about 1hour ago and still am feeling the same, soooo dry, help!!!

Post Quality Evaluations:
please use generic names for drugs, there is no such drug oxcontin
Old 23-02-2013, 22:22
Banned

Male from United States
baZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,240, Level: 12 Points: 7,240, Level: 12 Points: 7,240, Level: 12
Activity: 21.8% Activity: 21.8% Activity: 21.8%
Re: Oxcontin allergy? Do you have one? Trouble Breathing?

I sincerely doubt you're allergic to oxycodone, but I'm not discounting that what you experienced was probably very frightening. True opiate/oid allergies are exceedingly rare. That said, it is somewhat possible you're one of the lucky few that has one, but again... I really doubt it.

As someone with a lot of both generalized anxiety and panic attacks, I can almost assure you the difficulty swallowing was related to minor panicking. You said it yourself: your research showed that it was probably a result of anxiety, even if you are still more inclined to blame it on the drug. Actually, the fact that you're more inclined to blame it on the drug coupled with the fact that you were seriously worried that you weren't going to wake up the next morning pretty much cinches the fact that it was (in all likelihood) a symptom of anxiety/panic. By that I just mean... you certainly sound anxious. I have had much difficulty swallowing myself in the past as a result of anxiety, totally unrelated to any drug use. Naturally, antihistamines would not help this symptom if it were anxiety-driven, so seeing as you tried diphenhydramine to no avail, it would seem even more likely that panic was the main cause.

Before I share my thoughts on the hives, when you reply please clarify what EXACTLY you were taking. You say OxyCONTIN in your post, but Oxycontin does not come in 5mg strengths. (You said that for a year you were getting off on 5-7mg). Of course, you might have broken up a larger pill, but it makes a difference if you were taking controlled release versus instant release oxycodone, and it makes a difference what route you took it by.

Anyway, the hives basically have two possible explanations in my mind. These are only assuming you don't have a pre-existing hiving condition, but that might be worth getting checked out.

#1. Okay, you know how I said that "true opioid allergies are exceedingly rare?" Well, that's true, but it is also possible for a person to be overly-sensitive to the histamine release that all opioids cause. This is about as uncommon as an opiate allergy and tends to be more of an issue with naturally occurring opiates such as morphine, codeine, thebaine etc. However, I do know one person who can only take 100% synthetic opioids because of an extreme reaction to the histamine release, which will cause him to break out in rashes and hives starting within 20 minutes after oral ingestion. In general, it would occur much sooner after ingestion than 7-8 hours as you report. However, it's not outside of the realm of possibility in any circumstance, but especially if you took an Oxycontin without breaking the time release mechanism, which is why I asked that question earlier.

2. While also uncommon, stress and anxiety can potentially cause hives/rashes. It's possible that the hives were caused by your worrying about the situation, and possibly also exacerbated by the oxycodone releasing all sorts of histamines. A little of both, if you know what I'm saying, even if the high wore off long before the hives started. Did you take a benadryl for the hives, and if so, what did it do?

Anyway, I hope that helps some. Please feel free to ask any and all questions you might continue to have. To be on the safe side, I do strongly recommend going to see an allergist as soon as possible and telling them what happened. If you are in some way worried about admitting to recreational use of prescription opiates, you can always tell them you had a bad reaction after a procedure or something (but really, honesty is always the best police... they're not the police). That way, you can know for sure whether or not you have an allergy to oxycodone and/or other opioids.

P.S.- it's also possible it's something in the fillers, which is all the more reason to see an allergist.

Well thought out post with great advise.

Last edited by baZING; 23-02-2013 at 22:27.
Old 23-02-2013, 23:23
Straight out of Trumpton
Co-Moderator

50 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,640, Level: 12 Points: 7,640, Level: 12 Points: 7,640, Level: 12
Activity: 21.5% Activity: 21.5% Activity: 21.5%

It is not reasonable to assure Brooklyn11 that this symptoms are almost certainly due to anxiety. This may be the case but a true allergy is a possibility. I'm a bit concerned that Brooklyn11 is having difficulty swallowing after increasing his dose of oxycodone, this can be an effect of true opioid allergy. Hives can be indicative of both pseudo-allergy and true allergy. (Pharmacist’s Letter/Prescriber’s Letter 2006). While true opioid allergies are rare this possibility should not be disregarded, as these reactions can lead to anaphylaxis and death. It may be a good idea to discuss this adverse effect with your doctor. There are opioids from other structural groups which might be less likely to cause both true allergy and histamine-related pseudo allergy.

See Allergy to codeine - what does it rule out? for more information on opioid classes and allergy.

Analgesic options for patients with allergic-type opioid reactions. Pharmacist’s Letter/Prescriber’s Letter 2006;22(2):220201.

Good advice, as usual, with useful link.
Fair point. Hives are a pretty strong indication of an adverse physical reaction to the drug.

Last edited by Mindless; 24-02-2013 at 00:29. Reason: typo
Old 24-02-2013, 02:31
Silver Member

Alright so it looks like you guys were right on the ball with this, it doesn't seem to be any type of allergy or some type of GERD condition. I took a visit to the local walk-in clinic, told the doc my symptoms (she was probably in her 70s thus had a lot of experience and was very knowledgeable) so i am pretty confident in her diagnosis.

I have GLOBUS HYSTERICUS (.gov link removed) , yea the name is cool like some kind of ancient Greek mental mystery condition but the feeling sucks, it makes you feel like your choking basically.

Its not GERD, its not an allergy, or some kind of neuro muscular disease, I'll admit i need to stop making my own diagnosis, I'm turning into a bit of a hypochondriac. Thank you for your second and third opinions though, it just solidifies the diagnosis.

One thing to mention though as a tip for anyone starting on oxy if you get high once every other day it won't build up your tolerance it seems, i was literally getting high on just 5mgs for a year straight until i started doing it everyday. First on quarter of 30 roxi(7mgs), then on 1/2 10mg oxys. When i started doing it everyday my tolerance quickly built up to 20mgs (2 10mg oxy). I am going to try and go back to the every other day method to keep my tolerance at the same level or even possibly lower it.

So the doc prescribed me klonopin .5 MGs to deal with it so we will see if it goes away or not. Its kind of a weird chicken or the egg type situation, like I didn't have anxiety when my throat started to tighten up but as soon as it did that brought on the anxiety. As far as the hives go I'm just assuming it was some other unrelated incident? Also as soon as i took the Benadryl the hives disappeared. To mindless - shouldn't the swelling die down with Benadryl if i had a true opiate allergy?

I think the oxys were basically drying out my mouth which made me feel like they were the problem when in fact it was just exasperating it. Coupled with the post nasal drip of the drug from snorting it, does this sound plausible to you guys? It seems almost impossible to develop an allergy to this out of nowhere.

So anyway I'll try and stop blathering now since I'm pretty sure none of this has to do with the drug thus i shouldn't even be posting this in here lol. Although when i did research i did see a few sites on opiates actually CAUSING anxiety... then would then lead to globus, any merit to that?

Please do not link to .gov links. Read up the FAQ on how and what to post. Thank you.

Last edited by Smeg; 12-03-2013 at 02:30. Reason: .gov link removed.
Old 24-02-2013, 02:52
Banned

Male from United States
baZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn11
i think the oxys were basically drying out my mouth which made me feel like they were the problem when in fact it was just exasperating it. Coupled with the post nasal drip of the drug from snorting it, does this sound plausible to you guys? It seems almost impossible to develop an allergy to this out of nowhere.
I am really glad to hear you saw someone and that it's nothing serious. I am on my phone right now so ill have to come back to reply to your post a little more comprehensively. I did, however, want to just briefly touch on what you said in the quote above. I have a pretty serious chronic pain condition and sometimes land in the ER where I usually get two shots of 2mg dilaudid. Let me tell you, even without directly stuffing it in my nose, I find that so drying! I have definitely had problems swallowing after that in the past unless I get a lot of ice water in me (usually end up chugging down four cups in a row). So the short answer is that I don't think some drying out is uncommon after opiate use depending on the person, and I imagine its probaby just that much worse if the ROA is intranasal. Anyway, I'm really glad that you now know what it is and that it's nothing serious. I will try to return once I'm back in my computer.
Old 28-02-2013, 02:33
Silver Member

Re: Oxycontin allergy? Do you have one? Trouble Breathing?

Yes def drys you out a bit, I have a feeling that the opiate actually causes you greater anxiety when you are not on it.

Brooklyn11 added 101 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

I have to say though doing about 20 mgs of the oxy and then 1 klonopin on top of it is just freaken heaven!!! I've read so many posts online about how dangerous it is, then again i remember the D.A.R.E. program- if you smoke weed - its bad- and you die!

So i am pretty skeptical, any experience with this bazing? 20mgs of oxy and 1 MG of klonopin.

And staying awake during the experience helps? Or is it like if you fall asleep you stop breathing?

Last edited by Brooklyn11; 28-02-2013 at 02:33. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 28-02-2013, 02:52
Banned

Male from United States

I really would not take both of those at once. I promise that's not some D.A.R.E., over-paranoid bullshit, but the co-ingestion of benzos and opiates has, does, and will claim many lives. It's a particularly dangerous combination, and simply not a wise choice unless you are specifically following a prescription/doctor's orders.

If I understand correctly, 20mg was also the same amount of oxycodone that caused you to make this thread after it caused all those problems with the swallowing (and by extension, anxiety). I know the klonopin might seem like an attractive option because of this, but I personally wouldn't. Never add more drugs to an amount of one drug that you know has caused you issues in the past (again, unless directed by a doctor).

The absolute safest way to do these drugs would be on their own. However, if you are determined to do it, please do not take 20mg of oxy again after the difficulties it caused you the time detailed on this thread. Don't take 1mg of klonopin either. I can't take the responsibility of recommending you specific doses since I don't know your tolerance, but if you're going to mix them please only take a small amount of whatever dose you'd take of each of them separately. 1/3 of your usual dose for each is a good place to start; you can always add but never subtract.

Lastly, it's probably always best to stay awake during any experience with a CNS depressant. The problem is, especially with mixing the two, is you have no way to be sure you will stay awake. Both of these drugs in particular are likely to make you drowsy, and the additive effects of the two may totally knock you out this time around (even if you've taken them together safely before). No, it's not that you'll stop breathing the second you fall asleep, but you do breathe differently when asleep and this might cause an issue when you add a couple of CNS depressants to the mix.

If you are going to do this combination despite all of this urging, it's your choice. At the very least please make sure you have a sober sitter, and make sure they are educated on CPR, know what the recovery position is, and know that if you go under, the first thing to do is call 911. I promise there's no judgment here; I'm just giving you the facts. I'm sorry if it comes off as at all sensationalistic.

Really, though... I'd just skip it and enjoy them on separate occasions.

very kind, thoughtful post, and not condescending which I have seen on this site.

Last edited by baZING; 28-02-2013 at 02:58.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:37
Silver Member

Well i figure i'll do them on the oxy comedown like 2-3 hours later, how does the combo work like 20oxy mgs + 1 klonopin MG = 30 oxy mgs or somthing? How do you know when you get into the danger zone, because i know one of my friends does ike 80mgs in a clip like snorts full roxis so it seems like i wont even be close to having an issue.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:52
Banned

Male from United States

There is no direct equation to figure how much adding a benzo to an opiate experience will strengthen the effect of either drug. It is not, as you asked, 1mg of klonopin=30mg, nor is it 1mg=10, or 20, or 100mg of oxycodone-- it simply does not work that way.

You are unlikely to know when you get into the "danger zone," as you say, especially if using an ROA like snorting, because you can be overwhelmed very quickly. In addition, different factors can play a role in how hard drugs hit you. Especially opiates. For example, there have been cases of "location induced tolerance," wherein regular IV drug users have overdosed solely from being in a new locale because they were missing other cues to get their body "ready." (Things like what chair they usually sit in when they prep a shot, the simple fact of being in their own home, etc.)

Your friend who does 80mg at a time has a VERY different tolerance from you. What is "fun" for one person could kill another, and based on what happened with you and the 20mg of oxy, I suspect this could be one of those cases. Don't even consider doing anywhere near that much just because your friend can. I'm not suggesting you were going to; I'm simply saying what someone else can safely manage is NO indication of what you can.

I will repeat myself, there is no way to combine these 100% safely. It is a dangerous mix. If you were to take klonopin 2-3 hours after you took some oxycodone, that is somewhat safer. Waiting at least four hours would be best.
Old 02-03-2013, 00:19
Silver Member

Okay some good advice here, I will try to get my tolerance down as it compounding hystericus effect, is it possible to lower your tolerance by taking some time off the drug??
Old 02-03-2013, 00:24
Banned

Male from United States

Yes, in fact, taking time off the drug is the only reliable way to lower your tolerance. Considering it sounds like you're not a very regular user, anywhere from two weeks to a month should help lower your tolerance significantly, but it depends. The longer the better, as a general rule.

Of course, this has nothing to do with whether or not it's safe to mix oxy and klonopin. It's still not. If anything, having a lower tolerance to oxy would make it more dangerous. I'm sure you know that, but I just had to reiterate that point.
Old 09-03-2013, 23:54
Silver Member

30 y/o Female from Canada
featherbullet is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Not to hijack your thread, but I keep seeing people say that klonopin and oxy are dangerous...but I am prescribed both of these meds. Why is that?
To the OP, I have this issue sometimes with the trouble swallowing and attribute it to shallow breathing+ anxiety.
Old 10-03-2013, 00:50
Banned

Male from United States

Feather,

The reason people say oxy and klonopin (or any mixture of opiates and benzos) are dangerous is because they really can be at the wrong doses, and there can be a really fine line between what is fun (or even what is simply therapeutic) and what is potentially deadly. Both are CNS depressants and taking both at once can cause serious respiratory problems, including respiratory arrest/failure.

The real problem with mixing multiple CNS depressants is that the additive effects of the combination can cause more respiratory depression than the simple math of adding the effects of each together. I don't know how else to word that but I don't think that's really clear, so ill give you an example. Let's say that a certain dose of an opiate slows your breathing by two breaths per minute, and a certain dose of a benzo slows your breathing by three breaths per minute. (These numbers are purely for sake of example, not fact.) You would think that taking them both at once would slow your breathing by five breaths per minute (2+3), but in reality there is a good chance the two will potentiate each other and thus might slow your breathing by 6+ breaths per minute. This is true for any combination of more than one CNS depressant. Does that make sense?

However, this is mostly from the standpoint of recreational or any otherwise unsupervised drug use. It is not particularly dangerous to take them together at the right doses, but it is dangerous to take a gamble on what those right doses are if you're not a trained medical professional. If you are being prescribed both by a doctor who you trust there is little reason to worry. Of course, doctors can make mistakes. But my point is that the mixture is not necessarily inherently dangerous, though it can easily become so depending on the dose. Unfortunately, opiate/benzo combinations have been responsible for many lost lives.

I wouldn't worry if I were you, so long as you have a script and directions on how to take em. Many people are indeed prescribed some combination of opiates and benzos. I myself have been on both oxycodone and alprazolam for a long time and have never had an issue.

Good explanation and reassurance for the prevous poster.

Last edited by baZING; 10-03-2013 at 01:02.
Old 14-03-2013, 03:41
Silver Member

Some new information just came in, i went and spoke with my ENT, He said that the mucus draining down my throat could be causing my throat muscles to go into a spasm. Combined with what we know it seems likely that snorting them is the direct cause of the difficulty swallowing, im thinking the pinks mix with the mucus and slide down my throat and cause some kind of spasm.

I think this trumps just leaving it up to "anxiety".
Old 14-03-2013, 04:08
Banned

Male from United States

In addition, depending on how finely you're powdering the pills, I would think it's probably pretty common for larger pieces of powder (even if they're still relatively small) to get caught in your throat and cause a problem. Think about what it would feel like to get sand in your throat. That would be incredibly uncomfortable and probably cause difficulties swallowing as well. I'm just speculating here, but that's kind of what I'm thinking of in terms of an analogous situation. You are totally right that if that's the new information you're getting then it's obviously not just anxiety, however, the fact stands that simply having difficulty swallowing can be a symptom of anxiety. That's why I (and a few others) originally suggested that anxiety have been at least part of the cause.

Thank you for updating us, this is really interested stuff. So if you don't mind me asking, are you quite careful about how finely you powder your pills, or are you sometimes sloppy? Oxycodone is so water soluble that even with all those binders I just haven't really heard of this being an issue for anyone before. I'm just wondering if maybe the time it was so bad you missed a few lumps.
Old 14-03-2013, 22:12
Silver Member

I usually mash em up pretty well, I actually have a wine cork type thing with a ball at the end (kind of like a marble) which makes for an awesome mash-up tool. It seems like I wasn't experiencing the problem because i used to do a quarter of a 30 rox (which is SO small) or a 10mg pink, but it seems like 2 pinks is too much for the nose (especially if you have a post nasal drip to begin with).

I took them a few times orally and did not experience any problems, so it seems to be more narrowed down now, but i have heard that anxiety could make a throat-spasm even worse or feel worse, but seems like these things could be hard to diagnose.

I will try 2 pinks and then neti afterward to see if this will fix the problem, Blazing how long do you think the powder will take to absorb before you can flush out the nose?

If anyone doesn't know what a neti pot is here is a youtube video ( Bla I couldn't link it for some reason just youtube "netipot"), its probably a good idea to invest in one of these things if you are doing pills up the nose or coke to keep it from damaging your nasal membranes.

Thanks for your interest guys.

Good suggestion for those who regularly snort to invest in a netipot-- taking care of your nose is essential and good harm reduction.

Share this on:

Tags
adverse reaction, anxiety, anxiety attack, hives, oxycodone, prescription opioids