Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Amphetamine > Methamphetamine
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 22-01-2013, 08:49
Silver Member

20 y/o Male from United States
DryingPuddles is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%
Taste in the back of your throat after shooting Meth

I recently started injecting Meth, and the first thing I noticed was the taste in the back of the throat, I'm an experienced smoker so I recognized the taste. I just don't understand how this happens, how is it that I can taste a drug that is in my blood ? My initial thought was maybe the drug tricks your brain when its flooded with the drug, and it just thinks you taste Meth. Can someone answer please.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Interesting question, I'm sure many injecting drug users wonder the same thing
Old 22-01-2013, 09:22
Banned

32 y/o Female from USA - Nevada
SB1981 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Re: Taste in the back of your throat after shooting Meth

Not sure, but I taste a far more chemically taste now than when I smoked it. How do you like injecting? For me it's far better than I imagined. Needle and the rush is great, and I love how ong it lasts before you have to re-dose. I had to hit the pipe shit tons and it wasn't doing shit like it used to for me. What made you switch over to injecting?

If you cannot help OP with their initial problem/query it is better to leave replies to others who can help rather than reply with a post that takes the thread completely off topic
Old 22-01-2013, 13:04
Silver Member

30 y/o Female from United States
Nicnac is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 142, Level: 1 Points: 142, Level: 1 Points: 142, Level: 1
Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6%

I noticed this with cocaine the first time I injected. Not only the taste but the numb mouth and everything. I don't really notice the taste with meth though which I'm thankful for. I do not miss smoking or that time of my life so I think recognizing the taste would take my memories back to that point in my life.
Old 22-01-2013, 13:51
Silver Member

Male from United States
Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.
Points: 287, Level: 2 Points: 287, Level: 2 Points: 287, Level: 2
Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryingPuddles View Post
how is it that I can taste a drug that is in my blood ? My initial thought was maybe the drug tricks your brain when its flooded with the drug, and it just thinks you taste Meth. Can someone answer please.
Blood flows into and out of all of the body rather quickly with each pulse.

Blood vessels are located in the mouth, lips, and tongue. When blood flows into and out of the areas of the body with taste receptors it seems to activate them from within.

Cocaine is the most distinct, and its analgesic properties are also felt in the mouth, which to me supports the idea that the concentrations of the chemical in the blood are activating the taste receptors in the mouth as well.

Do you find that meth tastes like a 9 volt battery?

Excellent answer to OP.
Old 22-01-2013, 14:45
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

29 y/o Male from Earth
Xunubi is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 72, Level: 1 Points: 72, Level: 1 Points: 72, Level: 1
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%

The only other explanation that seems apparent to me is that the taste is psychological, but I presume this would only be true if it only happened to people who had smoked before starting IV use.

I'm not sure of the exact term but the process is basically the chemical entering the body (through whichever route) and then triggering a memory response from previous use (such as smoking) which then recalls the initial taste/sensation/emotional response.

I've experienced similar things in the past, though not with Meth.

I'm prescribed Concerta XL which I take only as indicated on the label (no tampering to the capsule etc) and this quite often gives me the smell and "anticipation/build up" feeling one gets in the gut after a line of good quality cocaine, on some occasions even a numbing sensation. The only explanation I can find for this is as I mentioned above.

Interested to hear other theories ^.^

Last edited by Xunubi; 22-01-2013 at 14:47. Reason: Corrected a typo.
Old 22-01-2013, 18:34
Silver Member

27 y/o Female from United States
Cupncakeprincess is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 90, Level: 1 Points: 90, Level: 1 Points: 90, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I really don't think it's psychological. I noticed that phenomenon long before I was told about it. The first time was actually with saline at the ER when I was a kid and super dehydrated. When the nurse hooked me up to the bag, I got a strange almost plastic-esque flavor all through my mouth. Then I experienced it again with cocaine. With meth it was never as intense a taste as cocaine but certainly there.
Old 22-01-2013, 18:44
Palladium Member

40 y/o Female from England
source must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medline
Points: 5,099, Level: 10 Points: 5,099, Level: 10 Points: 5,099, Level: 10
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyzh View Post
Blood flows into and out of all of the body rather quickly with each pulse.

Blood vessels are located in the mouth, lips, and tongue. When blood flows into and out of the areas of the body with taste receptors it seems to activate them from within.

Cocaine is the most distinct, and its analgesic properties are also felt in the mouth, which to me supports the idea that the concentrations of the chemical in the blood are activating the taste receptors in the mouth as well.

Do you find that meth tastes like a 9 volt battery?
This is what I have always been led to believe as well. I sometimes get a distinctive taste at the back of my mouth when I shoot heroin, I say sometimes because maybe now I am used to it so do not notice it as much?

It used to be one of those signs of good gear, as well as my ears popping.
Old 22-01-2013, 18:55
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from England
westie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way up
Points: 565, Level: 3 Points: 565, Level: 3 Points: 565, Level: 3
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

I have never taken meth before, but just like Source i have experienced the taste of heroin after shooting it. The stronger the taste the stronger the effect, i would imagine its the same with meth & coke but i don't know.
Old 22-01-2013, 20:11
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

I feel it has to have something to do with blood flowing through the tongue, because I've noticed it with all sorts of injected drugs, and they all have different tastes.

Heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine & Suboxone each have very distinctive taste that seems to radiate from within the middle of your tongue. And you can still taste that nasty "citrus" or "lemon/lime" flavoring of Suboxone when you inject it. ugh, f'n disgusting.

I no longer recall what injected meth tastes like (I only did it for a week, a number of years ago), but I do recall it having a taste as well as a sensation. I loved the taste & sensation of injected cocaine the best. Heroin was "good"; it tastes nasty, but on the other hand, you're aware that you're gonna feel REALLY good in about a millisecond once you get that taste coming out from your tongue. Conditioned response, I guess. Heh.

~Kailey
Old 22-01-2013, 23:37
Silver Member

20 y/o Male from United States
DryingPuddles is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

I experimented with injecting prescription opiates while taking a break from smoking meth (due to severe psychosis) a few weeks ago I began smoking again. After about a week and a half of use I experienced the usual, sore throat, sore jaw, "frog in the throat", and coughing up thick, sometimes hard phlegm (which usually has more gullible users convinced they're coughing up "shards"). Because of my experience with needles the idea of shooting it entered my mind (to avoid the aches and pain of smoking), my younger brother had done it before, so I called him and received some simple instructions on how to proceed. Use minimal water, don't boil water, and the warning not to miss, because the risk of abscess was said to be much higher.
Although the fear of death from trying a new drug without supervision was strong in my mind , and I was still up from a two day smoking binge. I mixed my 1/8 gram with 30 units warm water, and proceeded with a shaky shot. After losing my breathe, experiencing the "nine volt battery" taste in my mouth, becoming hot then cold, and getting a nauseous feeling in my stomach, I felt the euphoria of dopeamine flooding my brain that i recognized from the early days of smoking.
My high last much longer and my need to redose was very minimal, i was actually doing things instead of just wanting to smoke, it was a constant high, that was much more superior than the high from smoking. I haven't smoked since and my teeth haven't hurt either.
Today is my first day without Meth, and surprisingly I feel less of a crave, like my needs have been satisfied, whereas to smoking, I'd be "carpet surfing" scraping the pipe, and all the other fiend rituals, it's like since I know I won't find enough for the spoon, I don't even want to bother looking.
Old 23-01-2013, 03:32
Silver Member

35 y/o Male from United States
igotyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I guess im just different but i taste nothing directly after, but after im done coughing my brains out,i cannot get the taste out of my mouth. And about the redosing,that is one of the major reasons i like shooting.More bang for your buck and i am saving so much on lighters candles and wasclothes,although im probably spending just as much on points cotton and alcohol swabs.lol
Old 23-01-2013, 16:27

Male from Earth
TwackMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

I have never had any taste when using meth IV, except one time when I was short on time and tried to speed up the melting process by lightly heating the syringe walls around the liquid (I backload, cause I can) anyway it tasted the same as the plastic smelled when I was heating it, ugh... never again.

When I concetrate shots and jack it all at once with a 29g, I get a very very strong urge to cough the second before the shit hits my brain and kicks in. Holy shit.

I assume the chem taste is from adulterants in the meth, or just as likely leftovers from the cook where the shit wasn't washed properly or at all. If you get consistent strong chemical tastes after injecting you may seriously want to look into cleaning your shit or finding a proper source. Smoking and sniffing are one thing but im careful what goes in the bloodstream.

The post above- lighters candles and washcloths, those were the days. I'd wrap an coldpack in a wet washcloth for the cool down, and Id use butane candles to avoid the smell if a session has to end "abrubtly" and as everyone learns there first week, that 6 pack of lighers you thought where an amazing deal, are all fucked up and falling apart as you go to 7/11 at 4am for a bic.
Old 23-01-2013, 21:16
Silver Member

32 y/o Female from South Africa
aliceinnowhereland is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8%

The famous iv cough, battery taste in the back of your throat and chest feeling tight is all part of slamming.. That is if you have decent stock.

If the taste is overwhelming consider antihistamine (such as allergex) If very strong the lingering chemical taste can burn the back of your throat so sucking on a lozenge can help with that.

Some fans of the needle swear by the cough, I would get sad if no cough or taste appeared after a shot. Even more sad when I started chasing the cough and ended up with way too much dopamine in my system to even smile. So however good Miss Tina feels in whatever ROA be warned that moderation is the only thing that keeps it good!

Love your veins.. Not going into Harm Reduction! Water can't make your shot weak but it does help your veins

Be safe and be blessed

yes love your veins. Take care of them and they will be there for you.
for the dose of reality; and reduction advice
very good info, and suggestions
Old 12-02-2013, 12:45

29 y/o Male from United States
sickPickle is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

Aftet injection of methamphetamine earlier and got the feeling, but the taste was definitely blood. and my whole left side is cooler than right..what could this be? clean syringe,cotton,,water, and was 3rd redose. left side of head hurts too. other than that feels like it should. I'm calm. slightly raised bpm. and flyin . oh, injection wsd on right side

Better to start up your own thread if you have serious concerns regarding your symptoms, rather than ask in someone else's thread. Your question will get more attention that way and replies will hopefully help.
Old 13-02-2013, 05:10
Nosferatus Nosferatus is nu online
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from Canada
Nosferatus is a decent psychonaut.Nosferatus is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 301, Level: 2 Points: 301, Level: 2 Points: 301, Level: 2
Activity: 41.7% Activity: 41.7% Activity: 41.7%

That hairspray taste in the back of the throat is caused by your greatly increased heart rate flooding all your blood vessels, including the one's in your tongue, with a certain hodgepodge of chemicals, you're effectively tasting them from the inside.
Old 19-02-2013, 16:00

Male from Earth
TwackMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickPickle View Post
Aftet injection of methamphetamine earlier and got the feeling, but the taste was definitely blood. and my whole left side is cooler than right..what could this be? clean syringe,cotton,,water, and was 3rd redose. left side of head hurts too. other than that feels like it should. I'm calm. slightly raised bpm. and flyin . oh, injection wsd on right side
possibly not enough water in the shot? I've had shots "stick" in my veins where i could feel the burn up my arm slowly spreading, i had to follow it up with warm water to flush it out and get the effect. if the shit recrystalizes when it cools down to room temp you need more water. though if you do it just right you get fucked up beyond belief, but its dangerous. I had shit recrystalize mid injection, luckily it clogged the point before any solid matter got where it shouldnt be. if your gonna do it use a 31g.

other than that id say either a reaction to a chemical adulterant, or possibly you were really fucked up, bit your tongue when the shot hit you and rest is mental?

how did this turn out?

hit the nail on the head
I've had the same exact experience you described; very informative.
Old 19-02-2013, 23:47

29 y/o Male from United States
sickPickle is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwackMan View Post
possibly not enough water in the shot? I've had shots "stick" in my veins where i could feel the burn up my arm slowly spreading, i had to follow it up with warm water to flush it out and get the effect. if the shit recrystalizes when it cools down to room temp you need more water. though if you do it just right you get fucked up beyond belief, but its dangerous. I had shit recrystalize mid injection, luckily it clogged the point before any solid matter got where it shouldnt be. if your gonna do it use a 31g.

other than that id say either a reaction to a chemical adulterant, or possibly you were really fucked up, bit your tongue when the shot hit you and rest is mental?

how did this turn out?
You called it. Lol. not near enough water first off and i did somehow cut or bite my lip during rush. and of course my mind took that and ran. ty for responding.
Old 20-02-2013, 06:44
Banned

32 y/o Female from USA - Nevada
SB1981 is learning how to become a psychonaut.

Not enough water isn't good I found out. I've shot too thick of shots that gave me great rushes, but my veins burned and tingled up my vein afterwards. No, I did not miss at all, either. The mixture was too thick and the rush took a bit longer to hit me but it was fucking great. Just enough water is key so you can still get the great rush AND you don't cause your veins to get sore. I can't believe you said that your shit has literally re-crsytalized mid-injection, that is some crazy ass shit.

The thick shot you described must explain why I felt my vein and skin tingling after the injection. That shit was traveling slow and was pretty corrosive since it was too thick. I will make sure to use enough water from now on. I don't want to cause any extra stress on my two veins I use. So, I've had that happen twice now to where I feel discomfort after the injection like the shit's goopy inside my veins like syrup. I got paranoid from it hours later. The injection didn't hurt one bit, but it was a bit tougher to inject those two times from the thick consistancy of it. My vein was sore for a few hours but my next shot was perfect and didn't bother me at all after the injection.

Try not to post if your post is going to be off-topic and not about the OP's original query
Old 09-05-2013, 15:12
Titanium Member

33 y/o Female from USA - Texas
FluffyPinkElephant is on the way upFluffyPinkElephant is on the way upFluffyPinkElephant is on the way upFluffyPinkElephant is on the way up
Points: 617, Level: 3 Points: 617, Level: 3 Points: 617, Level: 3
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

Pretty much anything you inject you will be able to taste in your throat as it hits. Imagine the looks on our faces when we mistakenly grabbed a flavor enhanced water and did not realize it until shots were drawn up and injected and there was a strawberry taste with the dope burn.
Old 11-06-2013, 19:13
Silver Member

62 y/o Male from United States
Rachet3375 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

The taste is always a good sign of good gear. I first noticed it as a youngster while in hospital getting put to sleep for surgery, loved that shit. Now I look for that and the cough to tell me I got a great ride coming on and if I nut myself then yippie Ki yay mother fucker. It's all about the chemicals in your bloodstream and the dopamine released at 10k regular levels. Btw... Thick shots are not cool, you might think you are diluting your dose but you still gonna get everything in the barrel you drew up. Be good to your veins so you can keep on slammin
Old 12-06-2013, 00:25

27 y/o Male from United States
Ray Stiens is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

wat if you inject both meth and heroin on a daily basis? at least probably 2 or 3 points of heroin and about a half gram of meth give or take a little. this been going on for last couple months. then today after sleeping a little this morning only after slamming 2 points of H, slammed the biggest load ever done prob damn near close half gram and all of a sudden vision got blurry, ears ringing, and a strong desire to pass out over came. was that an overdose or just close to one? and that was almost 2 hrs ago is there any threat still to be worried about????
Old 21-09-2013, 14:20
Silver Member

25 y/o Female from Earth
yella is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 171, Level: 2 Points: 171, Level: 2 Points: 171, Level: 2
Activity: 7.0% Activity: 7.0% Activity: 7.0%

it's the quick administration of the chemicals into your bloodstream that cause the taste in your mouth, it's the same concept as when you get a CT scan with contrast dye that leaves a nickle taste in your mouth as soon as the contrast dye filters through your bloodstream.
Old 22-09-2013, 04:22
Silver Member

Female from United States
Dezzi is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 122, Level: 1 Points: 122, Level: 1 Points: 122, Level: 1
Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6%

It seems i always get a taste in my mouth, years ago before I got my meth
addiction I had a bad heroin problem. (I tried to escape my H issue
and run to GA, soon I tried meth, I loved it right away. Moving
didn't help me at all) Honestly I like the taste of both.
I've seen others gag when it hits. Everyone different

The strangest taste from a shot, to me anyway was mdma.
I was talked into or convinced it was a good idea to do this
by some friends. I use that word lightly. I always just ate the
stuff, or couple times snorted. But they swore up and down the
rush was amazing! I admit it was good, just not something
I'd do all the time. It was odd. But the taste- horrible.
Ill stick to eating it.
Old 22-09-2013, 04:40
Silver Member

31 y/o Male from USA - Nevada
DazedforDays is on the way upDazedforDays is on the way upDazedforDays is on the way upDazedforDays is on the way up
Points: 480, Level: 3 Points: 480, Level: 3 Points: 480, Level: 3
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Never IV'd meth before but I imagine it does have a distinct and probably foul taste since its bitter as all hell to begin with. I'd always taste the heroin 5-8 seconds after shooting but coke was by far the most distinctive. That metallic taste within a second or two of pushing down let me know whether or not my shot and or dope was too strong, just right or not enough by how intense the taste was.I dont miss sticking myself 20-30 times a day cause of the damn coke but I sure do miss that incredible rush, especially the speedball rush.
Old 26-09-2013, 17:09
Silver Member

Female from United States
Tattered_princess is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 174, Level: 2 Points: 174, Level: 2 Points: 174, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

The taste tends to linger especially if you have post nasal drip and get the feeling like your sinuses are clogged

Share this on:

Tags
injecting, meth, methamphetamine