Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 12-11-2009, 21:36

23 y/o Male from United States
hypernovax should review received reputation comments.
Points: 56, Level: 1 Points: 56, Level: 1 Points: 56, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Grapefruit Juice and Benzodiazepines

I heard info about this before, I tried white grapfruit juice hours after popping some valiums and it kinda seemed like I just popped 10mg after a bit... although it may have been a placebo... but nevertheless i just drank about 300ml of grapefruit juice and popped 10mg

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please read the rules. The count down is there for a reason. Learn how to SWIM
Old 13-12-2009, 02:10
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from USA - Pennsylvania
VirtuallyEmotionless is captain of the psychonauts.VirtuallyEmotionless is captain of the psychonauts.VirtuallyEmotionless is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 779, Level: 4 Points: 779, Level: 4 Points: 779, Level: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodabudda View Post
does vitamin c play a role in this because all of these jucies sound like hi vitamin c juices.
No, it's the Bergamottin in the grapefruit juice.
Old 15-12-2009, 00:57
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Canada
Bunnintreez is a decent psychonaut.

grapefruit juice just potentiates. swim used to drink a couple litres of GFJ pop a few benadryls nd then do w.e OC i had....makes the high a lot better
Old 30-01-2010, 22:18

27 y/o Male from United States
SyntheticSatori is learning how to become a psychonaut.

Two abstracts taken from a PsycInfo, a journal database I have access to because I am a student at a large university. It took me about 30 seconds to dig these from the literature.

This shows that cimetidine WILL have an affect on alprazolam peak plasma (probably AUC).

The cytochrome P450 IIIA subfamily appears to mediate alprazolam metabolism in humans. Ketoconazole, cimetidine, macrolide antibiotics, and serotonin-reuptake-inhibitor antidepressants impair alprazolam biotransformation in vitro. Reduced clearance of alprazolam in vivo has been demonstrated for drugs in this group that have been studied in humans; for those not yet studied, impaired alprazolam clearance should be anticipated during coadministration. Studies of plasma alprazolam concentration vs clinical response during short-term treatment of panic disorder indicate that therapeutic response at steady-state plasma levels of 20 to 40 ng/mL is significantly greater than at levels less than 20 ng/mL. However, side effects attributable to benzodiazepine agonist activity (e.g., drowsiness, sedation) increase in frequency with increasing steady-state plasma levels. The article is followed by a discussion of its subject matter. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2009 APA, all rights reserved)

THis shows grapefuit juice WILL NOT:

The effects of repeated ingestion of grapefruit juice, an inhibitor of cytochrome P₄₅₀ 3A4 (CYP3A4), on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of both single and multiple oral doses of alprazolam, a substrate of CYP3A4, were examined. In study 1, 8 healthy volunteers (mean age 31.1 yrs) ingesting 600 ml/day water or grapefruit juice for 10 days took a single oral 0.8-mg dose of alprazolam on the eighth day. Plasma drug concentrations were monitored up to 48 h after alprazolam dosing together with evaluation of psychomotor function. Grapefruit juice altered neither the plasma concentrations of alprazolam at any time points, any pharmacokinetic parameters, nor the majority of psychomotor function parameters in Ss. In study 2, 11 patients (mean age 47.2 yrs) with anxiety disorders receiving alprazolam (0.8–2.4 mg/day) ingested grapefruit juice (600 ml/day) for 7 days. Blood samples were collected before and during grapefruit juice ingestion and 1 week after its discontinuation together with an assessment of clinical status. Grapefruit juice altered neither the steady-state plasma concentration of alprazolam nor the clinical status in patients. Thus, grapefruit juice is unlikely to affect pharmacokinetics or pharmacodynamics of alprazolam due to its high bioavailability. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2009 APA, all rights reserved)

It's always good to have hard science on your side.

If anyone needs any more info about those studies or about potentiating other benzos, search the literature. Best way to find out.

SyntheticSatori added 235 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypernovax View Post
I heard info about this before, I tried white grapfruit juice hours after popping some valiums and it kinda seemed like I just popped 10mg after a bit... although it may have been a placebo... but nevertheless i just drank about 300ml of grapefruit juice and popped 10mg
That's not the right way to do it anyways. SWIY needs to drink 2-3 glasses of white grapefruit juice because it takes 30-40 minutes for it to inhibit the necessary enzymes. Drink the juice on an empty stomach, 30-40 minutes later (maybe even an hour later), then take the valium and you will not notice much of a difference in intensity but you will notice an increase in duration.

Well researched reply. SWIM can see you becoming an integral member on D-F.
Well researched post

Last edited by SyntheticSatori; 30-01-2010 at 22:18. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 31-05-2010, 02:35

32 y/o Male from Indonesia
dadrone is a decent psychonaut.dadrone is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 243, Level: 2 Points: 243, Level: 2 Points: 243, Level: 2

SWIM has a question he could not decipher amongst other material. Grapefruit juice is obviously a promoter of benzo's but does the quantity of grapefruit juice matter (i.e. if he just keeps drinking grapefruit juice instead of say, water for the afternoon)?

Does grapefruit juice intensify the effects exponentially does X amount of juice produce the max effect and it goes no farther than that point?
Old 22-06-2010, 04:06
Banned

26 y/o Male from United States
Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadrone View Post
SWIM has a question he could not decipher amongst other material. Grapefruit juice is obviously a promoter of benzo's but does the quantity of grapefruit juice matter (i.e. if he just keeps drinking grapefruit juice instead of say, water for the afternoon)?

Does grapefruit juice intensify the effects exponentially does X amount of juice produce the max effect and it goes no farther than that point?
The more Grapefruit juice sitting in your small bowel, the less CYP 3A4 will be there, so when your valium or klonopin or whatever passes through that area much less of it will be metabolized, leading to increased serum concentrations, and slowing of the benzo's excretion from your system.

SWIM supposes the benzo intensification via White Grapefruit Juice probably reaches a limit at some point, because not ALL 3A4 is going to be inhibited no matter how much you drink, your genetic code probably has an upper and lower limit to things like that. SWIM might theorize that massive doses of WGFJ on a daily basis for a long period of time (several months at least) could reduce 3A4 to a point so low that respective benzos effects could be exponentially enhanced for a drastically longer amount of time - especially with long acting benzos with extensive half lives.

EDIT: In further dispelling the idea that grapefruit cyp 3a4 inhibition does not have an effect on clonazepam (klonopin), SWIM drank over 70 ounces of 100% white grape fruit juice over the course of the day and has just dosed with 1.5mg of Clonazepam. SWIM feels absolutely drunk and can barely stand up without falling over.

Can some more Clonazepam SWIMMER stry the white grapefruit juice deal, report your effects and see if we can put a rest to the back and forth contradicting theories? A few people in this thread have already said they felt it potentiated their k-pins.

Last edited by Roads; 23-06-2010 at 03:47.
Old 31-07-2010, 20:35

22 y/o Male from United States
Fiend is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

Swim keeps his fridge stocked with ruby red grapefruit juice. Swim always drinks a couple glasses before every alprazolam and tramadol dose, he notices a huge difference when doses are taken without the gfj.
Old 04-01-2012, 21:43

52 y/o Male from Australia
zerox38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

Hi all

From what I have researched inhibiting the cytochrome P₄₅₀ 3A4 (CYP3A4) with grapefruit juice leads to a build of toxins that are normally metabolised out CYP3A4.

Just my 2 cents worth

cheers
Old 04-01-2012, 22:07
Potter Potter is nu online
Platinum Member & Advisor

33 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 18,475, Level: 19 Points: 18,475, Level: 19 Points: 18,475, Level: 19
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%

Sources?

Because to me it sounds like you are saying that eating grapefruit is dangerous, and that sounds like crazy talk to me.

Journal articles concerning this should be uploaded to the file archives and linked to your post. Since you are new here, you can't really do that, so head up to the "medline access thread", post the citations, and someone will help put them in our database, once there they can be added to this thread.

Just to clarify, it isn't like people are using some sort of irreversible MAO-I on their liver here, just eating some well known fruits and vegetables.

ADDED:

I see some old s asking about the quality of the juice and I have to say yes, there is a significant difference between good quality grapefruit juice and some of the lower quality juices. I've always found fresh squeezed to be superior, not just because I find low grade GFJ terrible, but I suspect too much pasteurization and the reconstituting process probably wreck havoc with GFJ much in the same manner as Raw Milk is ruined during processing. I can't offer any studies, but after you run a few trials, you'll agree
Old 04-01-2012, 22:46
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from France
frost458 is captain of the psychonauts.frost458 is captain of the psychonauts.frost458 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 714, Level: 4 Points: 714, Level: 4 Points: 714, Level: 4

Cytochrome P450 is a group of enzyme, does grapefruit juice as an impact on all of them?

CYP1, CYP2 and CYP3
and their sub-familly :
CYP1A, CYP2D, etc,
CYP3A4, CYP2D6, etc.
Old 22-06-2012, 15:28

48 y/o Male from United States
Duke of Aquasparta is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

I have a friend who has tried white grapefruit juice and tagamet as noted in these forum posts to potentiate benzodiazepines with good results. His doctor agrees with his assessment. However, he has reported to me that baclofen (a muscle relaxant and not a controlled substance) potentiates benzodiazepines to an even greater degree and works with both xanax and klonopin so much so that w/o baclofen he feels little results from benzos w/o using baclofen. Methinks that your body must build up some kind of dependency on baclofen after using it with benzos for some time. He reports that the specific manufacturer of generic baclofen may also play role as he claims the Northstar brand is the best manufacturer as he has used other manufacturers w/o the same success. He has sourced this manufacturer from both Cub Foods and Costco (Costco has by far the cheapest price on meds and you do not even have to be a member to use their pharmacy).

He takes six 20mg of baclofen every night with his benzos. Timing is not an issue as he takes his benzos right along with the baclofen.

Please keep in mind that since baclofen more strongly potentiates benzos (as he claims) to go about using it carefully so as not to OD.

Duke of Aquasparta added 9 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

When I wrote in my previous post the line, "His doctor agrees with his assessment." this was not properly placed. His doctor agrees that baclofen will potentiate benzos so his experience with baclofen and benzos is backed by his doctor.

Last edited by Duke of Aquasparta; 22-06-2012 at 15:28. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 23-06-2012, 16:17

Male from United States
dkane180 should review received reputation comments.
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

I can promise for a fact that taking 600mg Cimetidine 1 hour before a dose of Alprazolam will greatly increase it effectiveness significantly. Adding a little grapefruit juce doesn't hurt either but sn't as effective as the cimetidine.
Old 23-06-2012, 21:52
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

I just want to mention, most of those "Ruby Red" grapefruit juices have very little actual GFJ in them. Even the "100%Juice!" ones - read the label; most of the juice is of apple and/or white GRAPE variety & these are basically sugar.

Most of the "good stuff" is in the peel of white grapefruits. Therefore, the best way to get the most out of your GFJ experience is to obtain 100% white grapefruit juice CONCENTRATE. The way they squish up the grapefruits to get the most juice out of them ends up putting the juices & oils from the peels too.

I've found that if one wants the health benefits you can obtain from white grapefruit juice, the easiest way is to get the concentrate, put a tablespoon or so in a glass and then pour some other juice over it to melt the concentrate. I like pineapple, as it almost seems to cover the taste of GFJ. Now, this is less of a worry if you actually like the taste of GFJ! *grin* Anyway, I put in just enough juice to get it melted, then belt it back, followed by a glass of water. (I *really* dislike the taste of GFJ!)

Be careful when doing this! Remember you can always take more, but you can't undo what you've already taken!

~Kailey
Old 27-07-2012, 22:20
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
mPRH is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Last edited by mPRH; 28-08-2012 at 08:25. Reason: unintentional derailment. my bad.
Old 19-08-2012, 05:58

24 y/o Male from United States
genetic24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Re: The Combined Grapefruit Juice and Benzodiazepines Thread

Yes it will have the same effect because it's a benzodiazepine. Klonopin has a longer half life than xanax though, so SWIM might feel buzzed longer.

Just because is a benzo it doesn't mean its true, they are metabolised by more than one enzyme
Old 22-10-2012, 00:42

Male from United States
COSGRINGO is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

For the person asking about Nitrazepam, on the insert it mentions cimetidine and grapefruit juice (among others) should not be used while taking this product. That spells potentiators to me.

For the person asking about baclofen adding to the effects, I would say it's the complete opposite.
I take 230mg daily baclofen. To me I get little effects except the hypnotic portion (sleep) which is why I primarily ever use them now anyways, too bad.

Baclofen is a gaba b agonist and I am guessing at higher doses that effect outweighs the gaba a effects of the benzo. Just a guess. Perhaps at a low dose of baclofen but I would be surprised.

I have not had luck with grapefruit juice but my chemistry is whacky thanks to the baclofen.

I may try it with the nitrazepam but not sure how I would measure that since it's really just a sleep agent.
Old 15-11-2012, 15:51

Male from United States
empathespi is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

Hello, does anyone know if adding Valium to morphine sulfate is an appropriate way to increase the effectiveness od the analgesics which I hve been using. The Dr told me to add my valium to my MSIR dose, but nothing, and I really do not want to take 16 tabs of MSIR per dose to stop the pain. I als do not want to die, and he has me on a cocktail of Baclofen, Valium and MSIR. Anybody ever heard of this. Oh, I also have Gabapentin, which appears to work better than anything else.

Would Grapfruit juice increase the strength of any of these ??
Old 18-12-2012, 03:56

Male from Angola
dreamz should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerox38 View Post
Hi all

From what I have researched inhibiting the cytochrome P₄₅₀ 3A4 (CYP3A4) with grapefruit juice leads to a build of toxins that are normally metabolised out CYP3A4.

Just my 2 cents worth

cheers
1) I don't know if the above is true or not. Is it?

More importantly:

2) Are there ANY health risks associated with potentiating benzos with grapefruit juice (besides the obvious increased OD risk) ?
Old 23-12-2012, 21:14

20 y/o Male from United States
gamedeaths409 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads View Post
The more Grapefruit juice sitting in your small bowel, the less CYP 3A4 will be there, so when your valium or klonopin or whatever passes through that area much less of it will be metabolized, leading to increased serum concentrations, and slowing of the benzo's excretion from your system.

SWIM supposes the benzo intensification via White Grapefruit Juice probably reaches a limit at some point, because not ALL 3A4 is going to be inhibited no matter how much you drink, your genetic code probably has an upper and lower limit to things like that. SWIM might theorize that massive doses of WGFJ on a daily basis for a long period of time (several months at least) could reduce 3A4 to a point so low that respective benzos effects could be exponentially enhanced for a drastically longer amount of time - especially with long acting benzos with extensive half lives.

EDIT: In further dispelling the idea that grapefruit cyp 3a4 inhibition does not have an effect on clonazepam (klonopin), SWIM drank over 70 ounces of 100% white grape fruit juice over the course of the day and has just dosed with 1.5mg of Clonazepam. SWIM feels absolutely drunk and can barely stand up without falling over.

Can some more Clonazepam SWIMMER stry the white grapefruit juice deal, report your effects and see if we can put a rest to the back and forth contradicting theories? A few people in this thread have already said they felt it potentiated their k-pins.
Me myself tonight is probably going to try it, as I have not found anything else that's cheap you can retrieve at a grocery store that would help. I will message you.
Old 25-12-2012, 09:38

Male from Angola

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz View Post

More importantly:

2) Are there ANY health risks associated with potentiating benzos with grapefruit juice (besides the obvious increased OD risk) ?
Anyone?

You have been warned several times about being impatient and demanding a response. Please take this advice seriously this time!
Old 25-12-2012, 15:16
Titanium Member

24 y/o Male from Australia
methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.
Points: 1,714, Level: 6 Points: 1,714, Level: 6 Points: 1,714, Level: 6
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz View Post

More importantly:

1. The original post quoted 'inhibition of 3A4 leads to the build up of toxins normally metabolised out'. Given that there are probably tens of thousands of toxins I am sure he isn't completely wrong. Is the statement relevant to the discussion and people looking at potentiating benzo with grapefruit juice? Unless you spend your days eating mouldy foods and poking snakes and spiders with sticks - No.

2. No, unless you are taking a prescribed medication which you haven't heard of before and don't know much about as some are not to be fucked with. If you are a quick search on google scholar, medline or anything else reputable (not wikipedia - with something pharmacology related it is an incomplete and sometimes completely inaccurate source of information) with "[prescribed drug you are taking - drug name not brand name] metabolism" or if that fails "[prescribed drug you are taking]" and "CYP3A4" read the abstracts of the first few papers. If CYP3A4 is mentioned do a more in depth search or post on DF.
Old 27-12-2012, 03:19

Male from Angola

Quote:
Originally Posted by methylman251 View Post
1. The original post quoted 'inhibition of 3A4 leads to the build up of toxins normally metabolised out'. Given that there are probably tens of thousands of toxins I am sure he isn't completely wrong. Is the statement relevant to the discussion and people looking at potentiating benzo with grapefruit juice? Unless you spend your days eating mouldy foods and poking snakes and spiders with sticks - No.

2. No, unless you are taking a prescribed medication which you haven't heard of before and don't know much about as some are not to be fucked with. If you are a quick search on google scholar, medline or anything else reputable (not wikipedia - with something pharmacology related it is an incomplete and sometimes completely inaccurate source of information) with "[prescribed drug you are taking - drug name not brand name] metabolism" or if that fails "[prescribed drug you are taking]" and "CYP3A4" read the abstracts of the first few papers. If CYP3A4 is mentioned do a more in depth search or post on DF.
Thank you, I'm finding that "Adderall (amphetamine) metabolism is not clearly defined, but CYP2D6 is definitely involved, it has minor inhibition of 1A2, 2D6, and 3A4." Does that mean that grapefruit juice could somehow had adverse effect on a person taking Adderall? No, right?
Old 27-12-2012, 05:36
Titanium Member

24 y/o Male from Australia
methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.methylman251 must live here.
Points: 1,714, Level: 6 Points: 1,714, Level: 6 Points: 1,714, Level: 6
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%

God I just wasted so much time.... Tried to search for what enzymes metabolise amphetamines and was wondering why I couldn't get anywhere and why it was so damn hard then I remembered that amphetamines don't really get metabolised well so they are just excreted renally (urine via the kidneys). Only a proportion of amphetamines gets metabolised but the amount that does is via 2D6. Grapefruit juice only really inhibits 3A4 so grapefruit wouldn't have a large impact. However 2D6 is inhibited by some SSRI's strongly, some SNRI's moderately and is inhibited but no one has checked by how much by a fair few anti-psychotics, antihistamines and a miscellaneous selection of other drugs.

Because the majority of it is cleared anyway by the kidneys it wouldn't just sit and float around forever but it would mean that it lasts longer so it is something you'd definitely want to take into consideration.
Old 27-12-2012, 07:52
Titanium Member

48 y/o Female from USA - Michigan
carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,132, Level: 5 Points: 1,132, Level: 5 Points: 1,132, Level: 5
Activity: 6.7% Activity: 6.7% Activity: 6.7%

I have a question that maybe somebody here can help with. I was told at hospital that my liver enzymes are slightly elevated and stop drinking. So I've been using xanax because I ran out of blood pressure medicine last week. I know self medicating is stupid, but I'm awaiting approval to get the county hospital insurance. I don't want to have another stroke. Will the grapefruit juice affect my liver capacity along with xanax? I know it's gotta be better than alcohol but could it mess me up? Thanks for any advice!
Old 31-12-2012, 02:57
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United States
RoK Krawler is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by methylman251 View Post
Because the majority of it is cleared anyway by the kidneys it wouldn't just sit and float around forever but it would mean that it lasts longer so it is something you'd definitely want to take into consideration.

LMFAO
You never herd of the spun out meth heads drinking truckers piss they find in bottles at rest areas?

They got it in their head, After two weeks up, That all truckers were usuing amphetamines so they were stalking rest areas and would drink trucker piss lol. We knew about it so we did it just so they drank piss for no reason.

Off topic and adds nothing to the discussion

Share this on:

Tags
benzodiazepine potency, cyp2d6, cyp3a4, cyp450 inhibitor, grapefruit juice, potentiating benzodiazepines