Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Various drugs not covered by other forums Discussion of Psychoactive drugs that do not have a specific forum

Old 17-12-2012, 16:14
Silver Member

Male from United States
wantonwonton is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 111, Level: 1 Points: 111, Level: 1 Points: 111, Level: 1
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%
IP6 for treatment of Iron Overload

I preface by saying that I have an appointment with my doctor in January, and plan to pass all of this through her before attempting any trials. My goal is to perfect my proposed treatment before then, and perform a trial on myself over the course of the next year, with doctor supervision. In the event of total failure, I foresee no permanent damage, as my ferritin level is currently 144, with no symptoms present.

Recently, I was diagnosed with hereditary hemochromatosis, also known as iron overload. I am in my 20's, so this diagnosis is not a major concern if properly treated.

The typical course of treatment involves numerous phlebotomies until the iron levels in one's blood have been stabilized. There is no cure, and the primary means of management is continued phlebotomy. There are some pharmaceutical chelation agents which have proven effective in individuals who cannot afford to lose blood (ie: compromised by some other disease.) These chelation agents cost upwards of $3 per pill and may not be approved by insurance.

I am physically compromised, and am concerned that extended phlebetomy would be detrimental to the symptoms of my neurological condition (Spinal Muscle Atrophy type 3.)

I have been researching alternative means of iron chelation, and have stumbled across IP6, also known as Phytic Acid. IP6 is a natural mineral chelation agent derived from the outer layer of grains. When taken on an empty stomach it seems likely that it would enter the bloodstream, bind with and eliminate minerals through the kidneys.

From my shaky research, IP6 seems to have an affinity for chelation of iron, magnesium, and zinc.

My question, to any of the doctors, chemists, or regular joe's with too much time like myself is:

Can you see any reason why a treatment course of purified IP6 extract taken with a Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc supplement, would be detrimental to the health of an individual with iron overload?

I realize that this would not be a cure-all, but it may be effective in lowering my ferritin levels, in conjunction with less frequent phlebotomy, reducing the overall amount of blood being taken from my compromised system.

I have also seen some reference to green tea extract, but I put little value in the research done. However, I am considering adding this to the regimen if funds allow, since it will help to reduce free radicals in the body, in essence, working to treat some of the symptoms of iron overload.

Share this on:

» New Threads
Are Endone 5mg good??!
Last post by Oxycontin20mg
0 Replies, 1 Views
Sick of skin-popping!
Last post by BLOCKER
1 Replies, 136 Views
Please help settle an argument.
Last post by Oxycontin20mg
15 Replies, 279 Views
Brown GBL - A health risk?