Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 10-12-2012, 16:13

28 y/o Male from United States
Mike N Ike is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1
Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8%
15 days clean off opiates

today is day 15 off of vicodin . i have taken up to 100 mg a day for about 5 years . what should i expect from hear on out?? i don't have pains anymore and i can control my sleep with zzzquill an otc sleep aide . i pretty much feel like crap mentally and i have no energy to do anything at all ! when Will i feel normal again what is normal ? i quit cold turkey because it is time for a change for me and for my kids and wife please help me out !!
Old 10-12-2012, 17:48
Silver Member

Male from United States
been_there is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 172, Level: 2 Points: 172, Level: 2 Points: 172, Level: 2
Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0%
Re: 15 days clean off opiates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike N Ike View Post
pretty much feel like crap mentally and i have no energy to do anything at all ! when Will i feel normal again what is normal ?!
Yes, you will most likely feel normal again. Remember, you've been reteaching your brain for years, now it needs to restore itself.. For me, 30 days was when I really felt like I was getting somewhere.. Read up on the Thompson recipe and try to get as much exercise as you can.. I was pounding energy shots like crazy..

I'm not going to get all text book on you here so read up on PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome). It's hard to describe.. You get over the initial withdrawal hump then all of the sudden you start getting a lack of motivation, anxiety, mood swings, depression but mainly BORED out of your mind.... And that's the problem.. Even though your conscious mind says - No thanks, I'm good.. Your subconscious says - Let's party... It's a vicious cycle that most of us on this forum go through.. That's why (unfortunately) people relapse.. It's just too much f***ing fun! It is my belief that if you don't say goodbye to your habit forever and mean it), you will just continue to torment yourself.

According to Wikipedia:

Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) (also sometimes referred to as post-withdrawal syndrome or protracted withdrawal syndrome) is a set of persistent impairments that occur after withdrawal from alcohol, opiates, benzodiazepines, antidepressants and other substances. Infants born to mothers who used substances of dependence during pregnancy may also experience a post acute withdrawal syndrome. Post acute withdrawal syndrome affects many aspects of recovery and everyday life, including the ability to keep a job and interact with family and friends. Symptoms occur in over 90% of people withdrawing from a long-term opioid (such as heroin habit)[citation needed], three-quarters of persons recovering from long-term use of alcohol, methamphetamine, or benzodiazepines and to a lesser degree other psychotropic drugs[citation needed]. Post-acute withdrawal syndrome as a result of GABA-agonist (benzodiazepine, barbiturate, ethanol) dependence and opioid dependence can last from a year to several decades, or indefinitely, with the symptoms entering in to periods of relative remission between periods of instability[citation needed]. Symptoms include mood swings resembling an affective disorder, anhedonia (the inability to feel pleasure from anything beyond use of the drug) insomnia, extreme drug craving and obsession, anxiety and panic attacks, depression, suicidal ideation and suicide and general cognitive impairment.

Good Luck!

Post Quality Evaluations:
gives me some kind of hope that the end is near
Old 11-12-2012, 11:32

thank you i Will read into this and hopefully i feel better soon i just woke up from horrible realistic dream been this way for the part fifteen nights !!
Old 11-12-2012, 15:43
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from United States
Blazer77 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Hello mike.
I've been in your shoes just a couple of weeks back. I'm on day 25 and you will come around,for some it takes longer then others. I also stopped cold turkey after 2 years. I still have my days where everything seems like a fog and the worst for me is when I have this weird feeling like I don't know what I'm doing or going to do. Your head will clear up just give it a few
Old 11-12-2012, 16:25
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
snapptastic is a decent psychonaut.snapptastic is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 119, Level: 1 Points: 119, Level: 1 Points: 119, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mike I have a few tips for you. I just quit all opiates 6-7 weeks ago and I feel incredible all day, by following a few simple rules.

1. Eat healthy. As opiate addicts we neglected to give our bodies the proper nutrition and feeling like shit comes along with not eating right. Eat your fruits and vegetables, your red and lean meats, get some healthy fats from fish and peanuts.. Anything to give you that energy boost you need to get through your day. Skip the sodas, energy drinks, fast food, and high-in-fat food, these things will NOT help you. Also eat lots of eggs, they help with serotonin production.

2. Exercise. I started at the gym while I was still on Suboxone (did it for 5 months) and have been going every other day since (~ 2 1/2 months now). I have put back on the weight that I lost because of poor nutrition when I was abusing heroin and pills and MORE. I have replaced using opiates with weight lifting, something I used to do back in the day frequently. The high that I get while pushing out sets is unparalleled, and I was an IV heroin user. If you can start getting yourself out there to run, lift, bike, do yoga, or any other exercise, you WILL feel better much faster! I promise you that.

3. Keep a positive attitude. Nothing will bring you back to your DOC than hating yourself over past mistakes. Also, if you get to thinking about fixing, remember all the tough times and problems that opiates caused in your life. There is more to life than being zombied out on pills and heroin! If you can put these thoughts out of your head or manage them, you will have beaten your addiction (as much as you can beat it at least)! Please, please use this forum or your family/friends as a support system to prevent a relapse. And remember, if you DO relapse, don't hate yourself for it! You should strive to keep away from your DOC from now until you're in your grave, but mistakes happen! Don't use this as justification to go fix, but use it as a safety net if you do find yourself in this situation. Sometimes, in times of high stress, our brain tells us to cope in ways that will make us the happiest. Unfortunately, opiates bring false happiness, but we're smarter than our brain right ?

Anyway, take care Mike N Ike. If you need anything, I'm always one PM away. I check the forums frequently and would love to help you out if you need more advice. Stay safe bud.

Snapptastic

Helpful advice and suggestions.
Good advice on Diet Exercise! - These are so important to restoring the body's natural chemistry!
Old 11-12-2012, 20:31

thank you everyone for your replies i work 7days a week so the getting exercise isn't q problem just yesterday i started taking my dog for long walks and i think it may b helping me a bit more ... i am on this continuous roller coaster of emotions. at one point in my day i feel happy but at any given time i can snap my poor wife has been stronger than i ever thought she could be i have stArted going to church every Sunday i want to better myself in every aspect of my life and i want to feel better and normal asap cause this has been Hell i don't ever wAnna use again i have been having horrible real dreams that just ruin my day and Alot of them include using . i have no desire to use but my dreams

Mike N Ike added 1 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

drive me crazy and make me think it might just be eAsier to use and climb back in that black hole

Last edited by Mike N Ike; 11-12-2012 at 20:31. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-12-2012, 20:46
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from England
westie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way up
Points: 575, Level: 3 Points: 575, Level: 3 Points: 575, Level: 3
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

Well done fella! I dont have any experience with vicodin withdrawal, but if you are no longer in pain & can sleep then you can be far off from feeling normal (whatever normal is!)
As snapptastic says, eating right, exercise & a PMA will help you along the way.
Exercise will release endorphins, which, according to my drug worker, is the same thing as what opiates release, though i have never nodded out after eerise, though after sex i do fell kind of sleepy, though its been that long since i had some its hard to remember!
Keep it up! I look forward to reading your '30 days clean off opiates' post!
Old 11-12-2012, 21:02
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
Thirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPAC
Points: 3,027, Level: 8 Points: 3,027, Level: 8 Points: 3,027, Level: 8
Activity: 8.9% Activity: 8.9% Activity: 8.9%

Mike, what you are going through right now is what many others have described in various posts when that roller coaster expression is frequently used.

You are doing really well - sixteen days. Another few days and you'll be into three weeks. Be proud of that!

Keeping as busy as you are with work, plus taking the dog for walks will all help. The dog will appreciate it too!

You sound as though you are trying about as hard as you can not to relapse, and I'm sure that great support from your wife must be helping. Keep picturing in your mind the kind of life you want for yourself and your family and one day you'll get there. Take it a day at a time. If you feel tempted to return, picture that black hole as the pit to hell, straight back to how it was before - all that work and pain wasted, dreams of freedom shattered.

Keep going Mike. It WILL get better.
And when it does perhaps we could see a more cheerful avatar than that gun!

Get shot of the drugs, not your dreams!

Thinking of you and wishing you well

T4K
Old 12-12-2012, 00:02

you people really don't understand how much everything you say means so much to me the support helps so much i can't begin to thank you so much thirst i can't wait to say its been a month since i have taken a pill i have days where i feel great but it only lasts for a couple hours and some days i feel like complete shit i just pray that one day soon i can feel normal or what i think is normal i feel like i have done so much damage to myself in the 5years i have been using i feel like life has a purpose now

Mike N Ike added 0 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by westie420uk View Post
Well done fella! I dont have any experience with vicodin withdrawal, but if you are no longer in pain & can sleep then you can be far off from feeling normal (whatever normal is!)
As snapptastic says, eating right, exercise & a PMA will help you along the way.
Exercise will release endorphins, which, according to my drug worker, is the same thing as what opiates release, though i have never nodded out after eerise, though after sex i do fell kind of sleepy, though its been that long since i had some its hard to remember!
Keep it up! I look forward to reading your '30 days clean off opiates' post!
thank you for your support

Last edited by Mike N Ike; 12-12-2012 at 00:02. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-12-2012, 00:26
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
Thirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPACThirst4knowledge must think in IUPAC

Well put a circle around that month date on the calender and cross off each day as you go, and always feel good about yourself that you have achieved yet another day drug free. Please stop beating yourself up for the past - now is the time to look to the future. Keep aiming for what you want. Nothing worth having comes easy.

@Blazer - you are nearly there. Well done to you too. Please drop by and celebrate your month with us here at DF won't you ?

Good thoughts and wishes
T4K
Old 12-12-2012, 00:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer77 View Post
Hello mike.
I've been in your shoes just a couple of weeks back. I'm on day 25 and you will come around,for some it takes longer then others. I also stopped cold turkey after 2 years. I still have my days where everything seems like a fog and the worst for me is when I have this weird feeling like I don't know what I'm doing or going to do. Your head will clear up just give it a few
blazer i think cold turkey was the best way to go i think if i took am easier way out i wouldn't have taken it as serious as i have congratulations on your success as well and thanks for all your support with people like you guys and girls i feel like i could do anything. together we Will stay drug free !! thanks again everybody

Mike N Ike added 8 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

thirst i have officially put it on the calendar and am counting down the days i am about to take the dog for a walk and start the sleep process its crazy not sleeping like a zombie anymore i would normally take about 2 mg of xanex or klonpin to sleep near the end of my opiate Hell prob a good year now its am otc sleep aide the sleep isn't the best but at this point ill take what ever sleep i can get i feel good about myself thanks Alot

Last edited by Mike N Ike; 12-12-2012 at 00:58. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06
Palladium Member

Female from Earth

It'll come Mike....normal sleep eventually arrives.

And with all this walking,you and the dog are going to be so FIT!
You can actually get hooked on that y'know
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12

52 y/o Male from United States
runabout is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

Hang in there Mike, it will get better in time! giving up Opiates may be the hardest battle you will ever fight in your life, but you are winning and the worst is behind you now! it will take time but your health will return and you will find yourself saying how great you feel, the dreams were the worst part for me, dreams are 100 o/o real while your having them! all you can do is take it day by day and it will get better every week! you are in a great place here to talk to people that really do understand, one thing that I did was to take vitamin B-!2 a few times a day, I don't know if it really helps but I felt like it helped me! I don't know you but you need to know that I'm proud of you for taking this BIG step in your life!!!!!
congrats and hang in there
Rick

runabout added 3 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

hey if you would like someone to talk to in times of need I would be glad to give you my phone number

Kind words and helpful advice.

Last edited by runabout; 12-12-2012 at 01:12. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-12-2012, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirst4knowledge View Post
It'll come Mike....normal sleep eventually arrives.

And with all this walking,you and the dog are going to be so FIT!
You can actually get hooked on that y'know
Haha i could def use the being fit. but my dog is the fittest of all my dog makes me happy even when everyone else n my life are lettin me down my wife does greAt but even she has her days where it exhaust her my constant up and down. :/ i feel like this forum is my key to success

Mike N Ike added 2 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by runabout View Post
Hang in there Mike, it will get better in time! giving up Opiates may be the hardest battle you will ever fight in your life, but you are winning and the worst is behind you now! it will take time but your health will return and you will find yourself saying how great you feel, the dreams were the worst part for me, dreams are 100 o/o real while your having them! all you can do is take it day by day and it will get better every week! you are in a great place here to talk to people that really do understand, one thing that I did was to take vitamin B-!2 a few times a day, I don't know if it really helps but I felt like it helped me! I don't know you but you need to know that I'm proud of you for taking this BIG step in your life!!!!!
congrats and hang in there
Rick

runabout added 3 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

hey if you would like someone to talk to in times of need I would be glad to give you my phone number
the dreams really do kick my ass what is weird is they don't all have to do with using last night i was in a tower with a sniper rifle shooting people ?????crazy cuz i can barley shoot a deer during hunting season but it was so vivid and graphic i woke up and sat in bed shocked !!

Mike N Ike added 1 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

thanks run about that would b great

Last edited by Mike N Ike; 12-12-2012 at 01:21. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-12-2012, 01:45
Silver Member

Thank you t4k and mike,I never thought I would make it to 25 day but guess what,I did do it and I'm going to do it not just for me but my wife and kids so deserve my full attention at home as a father and a husband,they are my world not pills. I've heard it said time and time again,( if I can do it anyone can). I honestly believe that in my heart, mike I'm a 35 year old father of 4 that also works every day and never took off work,even through withdraws,I'm like you in that I'm glad I went cold turkey and it wasn't easy,ill never put my body or mind through that he'll ever again. The man upstairs pulled me through this. Mike I'm always here,your never alone....t4k ill be around,everyone is going to know when I hit 30 days...
Old 12-12-2012, 01:54

Quote:
Thank you t4k and mike,I never thought I would make it to 25 day but guess what,I did do it and I'm going to do it not just for me but my wife and kids so deserve my full attention at home as a father and a husband,they are my world not pills. I've heard it said time and time again,( if I can do it anyone can). I honestly believe that in my heart, mike I'm a 35 year old father of 4 that also works every day and never took off work,even through withdraws,I'm like you in that I'm glad I went cold turkey and it wasn't easy,ill never put my body or mind through that he'll ever again. The man upstairs pulled me through this. Mike I'm always here,your never alone....t4k ill be around,everyone is going to know when I hit 30 days...
same for you blazer if you need anyone to talk to at any point in your day hit me up together we can fight this evil evil drug i feel like a better man i am seeing life so much more clearer and my wife and 3 kids appreciate it even when i think they could care less about me day thirty is almost there buddy WE CAN DO THIS
Old 12-12-2012, 01:58

58 y/o Female from United States
xerxes_1 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike N Ike View Post
today is day 15 off of vicodin . i have taken up to 100 mg a day for about 5 years . what should i expect from hear on out?? i don't have pains anymore and i can control my sleep with zzzquill an otc sleep aide . i pretty much feel like crap mentally and i have no energy to do anything at all ! when Will i feel normal again what is normal ? i quit cold turkey because it is time for a change for me and for my kids and wife please help me out !!
You can get great sleep when you take Melatonin(in the vitamin section)with the zzzquil.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes_1 View Post
You can get great sleep when you take Melatonin(in the vitamin section)with the zzzquil.
how much do i take i have melatonin
Old 12-12-2012, 02:31
Silver Member

Melitonin can make you dizzy also .05-10 mg just depends on you. Yes sir we can and will do this.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35

Quote:
Melitonin can make you dizzy also .05-10 mg just depends on you. Yes sir we can and will do this.
i don't wanna feel dizzy i think i Will stick to my zzzquil since its working. i am off to bed my friends i Will talk to everyone first thing in the morning stay clean and sober people there is hope for us out there only time Will tell right ?? good night
Old 12-12-2012, 14:25
Silver Member

How's today treating you mike
Old 12-12-2012, 15:17

Quote:
How's today treating you mike
very very Blah no energy at all and i maybe slept 4 hours off and on but no dreams ??? i am beginning to wonder if this is the way i am going to always feel cause if so i can see why i feel like a vicodin or ten Will make feel so much better. i have noticed that while i am at work i am a lot more on edge with everyone i try to keep to myself a lot and listening to music helps a lot how about you blazer how is life treating you
Old 12-12-2012, 15:55
Silver Member

Doing great today,slept good as well. Anxioty could play a big part in your wd symptoms,I myself suffers from anxioty and I even had a panic attack that's when I desides enough was enough and quit. I always hated to go to bed and I also hated the mornings because I always felt so odd and out of place but for the last two days those feeling have gone. I had a real problem with being on edge or not knowing what I was going or should do about anything. I would sleep for a few hours and wake up with my heart racing and my legs jumping all over the place and often times I too just wanted to take one 10/325 and make it all go away but you can't. You can do this,drink plenty of water and if you have a multi vitamin take one a day,your retraining your body how to function right now and how to think and act on its own. You can do this don't let it win,you've made it this far, congrats
Old 12-12-2012, 18:00

yeah its been so long since i been sober i forgot about all the anxiety and depression i had its ok tho as the day goes on i get use to the feeling weird and not knowing what the day is going to bring. the sober me loves the fact that i am sober but my mind is telling my body and every other part of my body that i wanna get fucked up and the crazy thing is i wasn't fucked up when i took ten or fifteen pills a day i could cope moree than i can now . this is all new to me and i hate new i hate change i just know some part of me knows this is the right thing to do i dunno i am so all overthe place
Old 12-12-2012, 18:38
Silver Member

I absolutely hate change,your mind will calm down and you will get use to it all over again. If I'd known what I know now I wouldn't have ever started.

Share this on:

Tags
vicodin