Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Downers addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Downers addiction Support for coping with benzodiazepine, barbiturate, and sedative-hypnotic drug addiction and downers addiction treatment.

Old 20-11-2012, 15:21

Female from United States
feel the rain is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Activity: 4.4% Activity: 4.4% Activity: 4.4%
Tell me about your experiences with clonazepam withdrawal

I believe I am experiencing this. Here is the thread where I describe my situation. http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=199075 . I was on 4 mg per day a few months ago and tapered down to 2 mg per day about a week ago.

I would just like to hear about your experiences with acute and post acute withdrawel, whatever they may be. Just share whatever comes to mind. I think it would help me understand. Thank you .

Post Quality Evaluations:
You already posted a thread on this topic, there is no need for a second
Old 20-11-2012, 22:10
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from United States
Cousin Merle is captain of the psychonauts.Cousin Merle is captain of the psychonauts.Cousin Merle is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 249, Level: 2 Points: 249, Level: 2 Points: 249, Level: 2
Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0%
Re: Tell me about your experience w clonazepam withdrawel

Klonopin withdrawl sucks. It is a pretty potent benzo, and should be withdrawn from slowly, especially from higher doses like you have been taking. Find a doctor that specializes in benzo withdrawl, many doctors know little about the process...
Old 21-11-2012, 01:22
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from USA - Minnesota
Emin is captain of the psychonauts.Emin is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 299, Level: 2 Points: 299, Level: 2 Points: 299, Level: 2
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

I think you should be able to safely withdrawal at 1-2mg a week. I know clonazepam very well and I know it's not something you want to be on. Keep us posted please!
Old 21-11-2012, 14:34
Silver Member

Male from Earth
reef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way up
Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6
Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Merle View Post
Klonopin withdrawl sucks. It is a pretty potent benzo, and should be withdrawn from slowly, especially from higher doses like you have been taking. Find a doctor that specializes in benzo withdrawl, many doctors know little about the process...
I thought so too until I was able to taper 2mg every 7 days without any withdrawals. I used to taper 0.5mg, which is 4 times slower in order to avoid withdrawals, but with Clonazepam I guess you can taper a little faster than other short-acting benzos like Alprazolam. 1mg per week sounded fast 3 months ago, now I thing it's relatively safe, everyone responds differently though so I always suggest at tapering 0.5mg a week at the most, just in case.

I dropped from 8mg to 6mg in 7 days, then from 6mg to 4mg in another 7 days, no withdrawals so far. Then I decided I'd drop 1mg every 7 days instead of the 2mg I was doing, because in the lower doses you usually withdraw easily. I'm at 3mg right now, going to 2mg next week, and then 1mg. I haven't had a single withdrawal symptom in all this "journey".

All my last tapers were 0.5mg drop per week which some people already thought was fast because "it should be 0.25mg instead". The thing is, I never use benzos for longer than a 6 month period of time, that way I don't have to face major consequences other than some mild withdrawals, which I still hate. I've always been against long period use of benzos, it just fucks you up.
Old 21-11-2012, 15:26

I did already post about my own possible clonazapam withdrawal. I was hoping to hear about other peoples' experiences on this thread. I did not realize that was double posting and apologize.

Emin, I asked my doctor yesterday if he thought I could feel so bad because I had essentially quit taking this medicine. He said no, but I noticed it was the first appointment ever that he did write me a script. He said to try an antihistamine. Goodness- my goal in bringing up the possibility was certainly not for him to cut me off from prescribed medicine! I hope that was just a coincidence! He is the one who prescribed it- he surely knew I was taking it... I would be angry if I weren't so surprised.

I still feel just as bad as when I made this post. I've only taken 2 1 mgs of clonazapam in the last 5 days. I had hoped my doctor would advise me on increasing the dose and tapering down or sticking where I'm at. I think he has no idea about its addictive characteristics, though.
Old 21-11-2012, 15:41
Silver Member

Male from Earth
reef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way up

Quote:
Originally Posted by feel the rain View Post
I did already post about my own possible clonazapam withdrawal. I was hoping to hear about other peoples' experiences on this thread. I did not realize that was double posting and apologize.

Emin, I asked my doctor yesterday if he thought I could feel so bad because I had essentially quit taking this medicine. He said no, but I noticed it was the first appointment ever that he did write me a script. He said to try an antihistamine. Goodness- my goal in bringing up the possibility was certainly not for him to cut me off from prescribed medicine! I hope that was just a coincidence! He is the one who prescribed it- he surely knew I was taking it... I would be angry if I weren't so surprised.

I still feel just as bad as when I made this post. I've only taken 2 1 mgs of clonazapam in the last 5 days. I had hoped my doctor would advise me on increasing the dose and tapering down or sticking where I'm at. I think he has no idea about its addictive characteristics, though.
Let me get this straight, you are withdrawing right? I mean, that's what I get from "I still feel bad". Maybe 1mg is not enough and the fact that you are not taking it daily adds up to the "bad" feeling. What dose were you taking daily before you started to quit/taper off? How long have you been on Clonazepam?
Old 21-11-2012, 20:04

Female from USA - Florida
Rainbowberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Please be very careful withdrawring from any kind of Benzos. For many years I was taking a mix of Diazepam, Temazepam, Nitrazepam, Alprazolam, Lorazepam, and Clonidine etc. I had come off them quite a few times before by just stopping them and had no major side effects, I think the Methadone and Tramadol hid the withdrawal too. When I moved to the states your guidelines seem to be a lot stricter here and I found myself having to go without Diazepam and Tramadol, which was horrible. I ended up having a 5 minute Gand Mal seizure on a crowded beach of all places. I was prescribed some more tranquillisers but as soon as they ran out 2 days later I had two big seizures one after the other. Now it seems when I run out of my prescription 2 days I'm guaranteed to have more seizures. So please cut down so gradually and all the best. RB x
Old 26-11-2012, 14:28

Reef, I took 4 mg for about a year and a half, and worked up to that in the 6 months previous, so 2 yearsish total, plus the last 4ish months of stopping. I don't know if I'm withdrawing... yes, I am because I'm cutting my dose down, but I don't know if "I still feel bad" BECAUSE I'm cutting down my clonazapam.

Have you gone down to 2 or still at 3? Are you still feeling ok? How did your withdrawal feel from alzoprazolam, etc?

----

In my post above it should have said it was the first appointment ever he did NOT write me a script. I was sick all weekend and called the on-call doc because I had a nausea medicine but my pharmacy had the script and was closed- the on-call doc wouldn't even consider discussing medicine with me. I think I have been marked on my record now that I asked my doc if I could be feeling so bad due to lowering my klonapin dose.

As an update, I have taken perhaps 3 mg of klonapin in the last 7 days, 1 mg every few days, and the last one I took was Thursday morning. I have stayed sick to my stomach. Every morning I have a fever. I'm sure being sick is because of post-nasal drip, and I have a CT scan today to consider surgery on my nose. I really don't want that. I wish I could figure out for sure if klonapin has anything to do with this.

I have an appointment this evening with a psychiatrist (she's the one who originally suggested I taper down). This is my last chance to refill it. I'm sure my regular doc won't refill it again, so either I ask her to or I just go cold-turkey from here on out. I don't want it anymore, but I feel like I should get another 60 1mgs so I can taper down... but it's embarrassing to need to ask for it...
Old 27-11-2012, 03:44
Silver Member

Male from Earth

Quote:
Reef, I took 4 mg for about a year and a half, and worked up to that in the 6 months previous, so 2 yearsish total, plus the last 4ish months of stopping. I don't know if I'm withdrawing... yes, I am because I'm cutting my dose down, but I don't know if "I still feel bad" BECAUSE I'm cutting down my clonazapam.

Have you gone down to 2 or still at 3? Are you still feeling ok? How did your withdrawal feel from alzoprazolam, etc?

----

In my post above it should have said it was the first appointment ever he did NOT write me a script. I was sick all weekend and called the on-call doc because I had a nausea medicine but my pharmacy had the script and was closed- the on-call doc wouldn't even consider discussing medicine with me. I think I have been marked on my record now that I asked my doc if I could be feeling so bad due to lowering my klonapin dose.

As an update, I have taken perhaps 3 mg of klonapin in the last 7 days, 1 mg every few days, and the last one I took was Thursday morning. I have stayed sick to my stomach. Every morning I have a fever. I'm sure being sick is because of post-nasal drip, and I have a CT scan today to consider surgery on my nose. I really don't want that. I wish I could figure out for sure if klonapin has anything to do with this.

I have an appointment this evening with a psychiatrist (she's the one who originally suggested I taper down). This is my last chance to refill it. I'm sure my regular doc won't refill it again, so either I ask her to or I just go cold-turkey from here on out. I don't want it anymore, but I feel like I should get another 60 1mgs so I can taper down... but it's embarrassing to need to ask for it...
Withdrawal from Alprazolam felt like shit, like one of those hard crashes you get after a whole night of doing coke but instead of it lasting a couple hours it lasted about a week every single second of every single day. At least I could barely sleep.

Right now I'm at 2mg, dropped 1mg which used to be fast but I guess I've learned that with Clonazepam you can taper way faster than with Alprazolam, which requires a very slow taper, that's why a lot of doctors usually switch the person taking Alprazolam to Diazepam or Clonazepam (if Diazepam doesn't work for the patient). It's been very easy so far, no withdrawals whatsoever and I don't know, I still have to go down to 1mg and I don't know if I'll continue the taper (most likely) or just leave it at that and see what happens.
Old 27-11-2012, 18:19

Reef, keep me posted on how you feel.

My psychiatrist did not want me to go from 1 mg to 0 mg. She also went on a soap box about going cold turkey (for the reasons many people on here have pointed out many times). She wants me to take .5 mg as needed for a month and then see how I feel. I don't really know what "as needed" means in this context. I am going to fill the prescription to have in case I need it and then not take it unless I feel like I need to take it.

It was a crazy appointment.

She also was bound and determined to give me restoril ( temazepam )to take at night because it's a benzo. She said it would help me sleep and replace the benzos from taking klonapin (clonazepam ). I asked for ambien or lunesta or anything else instead, and then said I would just not take anything at all. She still insisted on writing the prescription. This doesn't make sense to me because it seems like it's just sending me back to a higher dose of benzos again, so I'm probably not going to take that.
Old 28-11-2012, 02:18
Silver Member

Male from Earth

Quote:
Reef, keep me posted on how you feel.

My psychiatrist did not want me to go from 1 mg to 0 mg. She also went on a soap box about going cold turkey (for the reasons many people on here have pointed out many times). She wants me to take .5 mg as needed for a month and then see how I feel. I don't really know what "as needed" means in this context. I am going to fill the prescription to have in case I need it and then not take it unless I feel like I need to take it.

It was a crazy appointment.

She also was bound and determined to give me restoril ( temazepam )to take at night because it's a benzo. She said it would help me sleep and replace the benzos from taking klonapin (clonazepam ). I asked for ambien or lunesta or anything else instead, and then said I would just not take anything at all. She still insisted on writing the prescription. This doesn't make sense to me because it seems like it's just sending me back to a higher dose of benzos again, so I'm probably not going to take that.
Yeah I questioned my doctor at first but it seems his "extreme" taper worked pretty well, so far. Like I said I'm at 2mg, this is my second day on this dose and I'm feeling pretty normal, it doesn't affect me much, or at all, I'm not sure. I'm dropping to 1mg and then I'm pretty sure I'll do .5mg after that just to make sure everything goes smoothly. I kind of want to rush things and get it over with right now but rushing is what always gets me in trouble, so I'm gonna be patient and taper properly.

I agree with you that you shouldn't take any other benzos. Just taper off with Clonazepam and be done with it. Don't get into Ambien (Zolpidem) or any other GABAnergic drugs either, it's not really a good idea when you're trying to get off a relatively potent GABAnergic that is Clonazepam. Usually people feel a bit of withdrawals even with the best of tapers, specially at the lower doses (around 1mg) which is why I'm not sure if I will feel any of them later on my taper.

My advice is keep taking your daily dose of Clonazepam, preferably at night so you can sleep better, drop down to .5mg and take it daily like you are right now and then stop taking it. If after that you feel some withdrawals you could take .5mg every two or three days for a while and see how it goes.
Old 28-11-2012, 09:10

Male from United States
Mongoliandonut is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Hey there! So I had a round with klonopin withdrawal. I was on 12 mgs a day and cut it to 6 in 4 weeks. I then cut it to 0. So I was a larger dose and a quicker cut off.

after my last dose....
Around day 5- I felt anxious and misaligned I started not sleeping well.
day 7- No sleep and rapid body movements. Tremors would come around dinner and breakfast when I usually took the med. I felt a real fear of impending doom.

Day 9- Sleep regulating to more restorative deep sleep and fear subsiding.

after day 10- Did great had random waves of mild tremors and anxiety. all faded after that.

You will be fine! If it gets terrible get on LYRICA for the short term. it is a amazing medication for WD of any drug it saved me.

Post Quality Evaluations:
This is really good insight.
Old 30-11-2012, 14:27

Mongoliandonut, did you have nightmares as soon as you started to drift to sleep, or later in the night, that were vivid enough to awaken you? If so, did those subside after day 10?
Old 03-01-2013, 14:22

Re: Tell me about your experiences with clonazepam withdrawal

As an update, I have been taking 1 mg about once every 2 days for a month or so. I am not having any physical withdrawal symptoms. I hope that sticks. Within the next week I MUST stop taking clonazapam altogether. I should have gone down lower on my taper. I kept thinking "I'm not taking any more after today" and then taking more. I guess this week I will take .5 mg every 2 days and then I just cross my fingers that stopping works out okay!
Old 03-01-2013, 23:52
Silver Member

Cousin Merle is captain of the psychonauts.Cousin Merle is captain of the psychonauts.Cousin Merle is captain of the psychonauts.

I'm glad to hear things are going well so far. It would be better if you could go to .5 mg for awhile, then down to .25 mg for a little while then down to 0.125 mg for a bit. 0.25 mg is still a therapeutic dose. My hound used to take the 0.5 mg tablets and cut them in half for the 0.25 mg dose, then cut THOSE in half again for the 0.125 dose. It wasn't completely scientifically accurate, but it worked for that hound. He was able to taper from 0.5 mg - to 0.25 mg - to 0.125 mg - to 0 in a period of about 4 - 6 weeks. My hound however never had taken more than 1 mg per day, and was only using this amount daily for about 4 months before he tapered off. He did not experience any major withdrawl symptoms other than some intermittent insomnia....
Old 05-01-2013, 15:45

Cousin Merle, I believe i will try tapering down really quickly over this week. I don't know if tapering that quickly does any good at all, as opposed to just quitting at the end of the week, do you? At the very least I am taking .5s this week. I started that today. I think I will take it every day instead of every other day to make it more smooth. I don't even know if that's a thing or not.
Old 06-01-2013, 00:39
Titanium Member

42 y/o Male from Australia
out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.
Points: 2,214, Level: 7 Points: 2,214, Level: 7 Points: 2,214, Level: 7
Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9%

When I was taking benzos (temazepam, nitrazepam, alprazolam and diazepam) I found the last part of quitting the hardest. For some reason the mental step of going from some to none freaked me out. In the end I used some tramadol to help and after the last week at a similar dose to what you're on I managed to break the addiction.

Don't underestimate how hard it is to quit these things. Many people here have said it's even harder than stopping opiates. But you can do it if you really want to. Personally I found that dropping the dosage as far as I could without feeling terrible withdrawals and waiting as long as I could before taking it again was the best thing because it indicated to me how I would feel on that dosage. Once I got to a low enough dosage I just waited and in the end I didn't need to take my last few pills.
Old 08-01-2013, 14:00

This is a little harder than I thought it would be. I was physically uncomfortable in many ways when I was taking 1 mg every other day but that went away when I switched to .5 every day.

4 days ago I started taking .5 mg each night, and it really helped me sleep (this surpriised me because even 4 mg wasn't helping me sleep before I started my taper).

My plan was after 2 days to go to .25 mg but it's been 4 days and I've taken .5 each night. Knowing it helps me sleep I just keep taking it. Well I have to be quit in just a few days so tonight I have to make myself take only .25. I just hate giving up anything that helps me sleep!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:02
Titanium Member

out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.

I know it. It sux lying awake at night. I'm still finding sleep hard after six months or so off benzos. But it's a good feeling to know that you're not reliant on them.

You are doing the right thing by reducing to .25mg. Even if it feels hard you will ultimately be in a better place without the drugs. I know it doesn't seem like that right now and that last bit is really hard, but you are nearly there!
Old 10-01-2013, 18:26
Silver Member

Male from Earth

I know how hard it is and how uncomfortable the withdrawals are but it's for the best. Don't predispose yourself into thinking you won't be able to do things such as sleep just because you are gonna take less, even if it means so, you should be thinking positively even if it gets hard to at times. Sharing sometimes can help you feel better. I recommend doing some physical exercises even though I know you probably don't feel like it at all, it will help you get rid of the extra energy that gets very annoying when you are actually trying to chill or sleep.
Old 13-01-2013, 04:18
Silver Member

You're doing just fine. Don't beat up on yourself too much. 0.5mg each night is a pretty low dose, and is not too hard to taper from. You can stay on 0.5 for a bit longer, then try reducing to .25mg each night. Once you are down to 0.25mg, from there I think it is as much an issue with psychological addiction as it is with physical. As others have said, the step from taking a small dose to taking nothing at all is a big step psychologically. You have conditioned yourself to believe that you need to take that little pill each night to sleep and relax, and your brain is convinced of this. You should start doing some checking up now on various ways to "brainwash yourself" as I like to call it. Once you get down to a really low dose, you just need to learn to re-adjust your belief systems and thought patterns. This is hard, and can take awhile. It took me many, many months to re-train my brain so that I really believed I could fall asleep and sleep well without some kind of aid. For me sleeping was always the biggest issue.
Old 31-08-2013, 22:09
Silver Member

27 y/o Female from United States
QuirkySneaker26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

I am currently prescribed to 3 mg of clonazepam per day. I didn't have it with me over night once and experienced the withdrawal
It was not fun, body aches, could never get comfortable, felt miserable. It almost felt somewhat like a heroin withdrawal.
I ended up going to the hospital to get a few days worth and was back to normal.
I do not abuse this medication, as i need it for other reasons, but it sucks to know how dependent I have become to it, kinda scary. Definitely gonna tapper off SLOW when it's time.
Old 31-08-2013, 22:39
Silver Member

31 y/o Male from USA - Nevada
DazedforDays is on the way upDazedforDays is on the way upDazedforDays is on the way upDazedforDays is on the way up
Points: 480, Level: 3 Points: 480, Level: 3 Points: 480, Level: 3
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Did your physician never tell you that benzos are among the most addicting drugs in existence when or before you started on them? If he/she didnt thats a serious oversight on their part.
Old 02-09-2013, 21:21

34 y/o Male from United States
Greenroebuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

I am currently 3 months sober and before all of the drug use I was a completely healthy person. I know currently cannot leave my house open my windows or even socially talk to someone normally. and also have very obsessive thoughts about my mental health
Old 05-09-2013, 04:25
Titanium Member

Greenroebuck it is fantastic that you are drug free but it also sounds like you may need some help with your symptoms. You may also find that you get some more help and interest in your post if you start your own thread. Of course that is up to you though.

If you are feeling so bad that you cannot leave the house then that is called agoraphobia (if you didn't already know) and is obviously very debilitating. Sometimes it is necessary to be on medication so that we can live our lives. Even if we don't want to be on medication. Perhaps it's something you should think about and perhaps it would also be worth seeing a doctor about the way you are feeling.

Share this on:

Tags
benzodiazepine addiction, benzodiazepine withdrawal, benzodiazepines, clonazepam, clonazepam withdrawal, klonopin, klonopin withdrawal