Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Alcohol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Alcohol Alcohol, including absinthe, hard liquor, beer, wine, and other assorted spirits.

Old 21-03-2012, 16:30
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from United States
Dankfish is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 296, Level: 2 Points: 296, Level: 2 Points: 296, Level: 2
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Should I be expecting withdrawal?

For about nine months, I have been drinking quite a bit. I weigh around 130 lbs and usually have anywhere from 5-12 drinks a day in the form of usually whiskey or wine. Every once in a while I take a day off or in a very rare case, two. I almost never vomit from alcohol, it might happen around once a month. I also have history of alcoholism in both sides of my family (if that even scientifically means anything.) I usually have at least a minor blackout once every three times I drink or so. If I were to suddenly quit cold turkey would it be feasible for me to expect withdrawal symptoms? If so, how severe of symptoms?

I realize I'm not drinking an insane amount, but considering my weight it is very easy for me to get a solid drunk going. Also if more information is needed I am willing to share a reasonable amount.
Old 21-03-2012, 17:50
Basoodler Basoodler is nu online
Titanium Member

Male from Tuvalu
Basoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,070, Level: 11 Points: 6,070, Level: 11 Points: 6,070, Level: 11
Activity: 17.5% Activity: 17.5% Activity: 17.5%
Re: Should I be expecting withdrawal?

Quote:
Not everyone who stops drinking experiences withdrawal symptoms, but most people who have been drinking for a long period of time, or drinking frequently, or drink heavily when they do drink, will experience some form of withdrawal symptoms if they stop drinking suddenly. Take the Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms Quiz.

There is no way to predict how any individual will respond to quitting. If you plan to stop drinking and you have been drinking for years, or if you drink heavily when you do drink, or even if you drink moderately but frequently, you should consult a medical professional before going "cold turkey."
quote from http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withdraw/a/aa030307a.htm

After 9 months you may not have much of a problem. especially since you did say that you could skip days. Seeing as to how you said you can skip 2 days now, you should have minimal issues getting past that. After three days you are pretty much detoxed and in the clear. Hell, the 2nd day was the worst for WD for me! Try to taper down use for a while then quit cold turkey.

When I quit, I had to work up to being able to skip days. The idea scared the shit out of me at the time. Granted it was a 9 year habit. My withdrawal was mild at best with the biggest symptom being trouble sleeping for about a week. I also had a wierd side effect, that I can't explain. I would actually taste alcohol in my mouth at times. It just felt like I had booze breath or even like I had just taken a swill of vodka. This was annoying, but eventually went away.

expect cravings .. horrible, horrible cravings even if you don't get a lot of symptoms. You will have that evil voice (the re-dose voice) in your head rationalizing how one more night of drinking will be ok, and you can still quit.

Having shared my opinion I must tell you that if you start to develop withdrawal symptoms its a good idea to seek professional help (a Dr.). If anything he can give you a benzo to dumb down your symptoms. Alcohol withdrawal can be deadly, so if you start getting some of the severe symptoms listed in the link below or just generally feel like the process is out of control, you need to go and seek medical help asap.

here is a link to symptoms

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001769/

Last edited by Basoodler; 21-03-2012 at 18:28.
Old 22-03-2012, 03:47
Silver Member

Hey thank you man. It's definitely the cravings that keep me drinking at the time. Another major factor is boredom too. I was under the impression that the worst of the withdrawal symptoms hit around the 72 hr mark. Somewhat glad to hear the worst hit earlier, because then I can definitely do this.

Odd that you said that thing about the booze taste in your mouth. Yesterday I didn't have one drop of booze, this morning in the shower I tasted alcohol in my mouth. I could taste myself detoxing hahaha.

Anyways, thanks for the help and advice, much appreciated.
Old 22-03-2012, 13:20
Basoodler Basoodler is nu online
Titanium Member

Male from Tuvalu
Basoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,070, Level: 11 Points: 6,070, Level: 11 Points: 6,070, Level: 11
Activity: 17.5% Activity: 17.5% Activity: 17.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankfish View Post
Hey thank you man. It's definitely the cravings that keep me drinking at the time. Another major factor is boredom too. I was under the impression that the worst of the withdrawal symptoms hit around the 72 hr mark. Somewhat glad to hear the worst hit earlier, because then I can definitely do this.

Odd that you said that thing about the booze taste in your mouth. Yesterday I didn't have one drop of booze, this morning in the shower I tasted alcohol in my mouth. I could taste myself detoxing hahaha.

Anyways, thanks for the help and advice, much appreciated.
It may be 72 hours, I was so sleep depraved by the third day, plus I stated smoking a J or two of spice with my old lady. Oddly enough the spice would stop alcohol cravings.

The boredom made it hard on me too. You have to realize that the little voice trying to minimalize your habit and rationalize why a litttle more won't. Hurt is the same lttle voice bugging people to redose on other drugs.. its the little devil on your shoulder.

In the first week after I quit drinking that little voice would get me to go to stores who sell alcohol, and start an internal conflict about buying booze.. the 2nd day I broke down and bought a bottle , thank the lord I. Snapped out of it and thew the bottle out the window on the freeway. The next day I went to the store too and probably looked like a mental case. I paced the area with the bottles until I got over the craving.. ended up buying some synthetic cannanidinaboids and smoked in the evening. When I normally would drink. It worked wonders for various reasons. I smoked those for about 6 months on and off and quit.

Last drink was JUNE 30th. Ran out of spice in november.

I guess; if you can overcome the "redose voice" you will have no problems.. might look into something a long the lines of phenibut, kava kava or valarian to tickle those GABA receptors until you get passed cravings. Just make sure you don't go overboard and get addicted (especially with phenibut.) All three are legal.. phenibut is available on the web, kava kava you can pick up at health stores. Just be sure to read the wiki on both. Also be careful what type of kava you buy. Some products are bad for the liver

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...title=Phenibut. Phenibut wiki
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...php?title=kava. Kava wiki

Valarian is more to mellow you out a little and help to bring on sleep. Myself I went the un healthy rout and ate dph/sleep jells. They work for a while, but I'm sure they would be a unhealthy daily habit. (Search unisominator's threads for a clarification ..and a chuckle)

Good luck man

Last edited by Basoodler; 22-03-2012 at 14:00. Reason: ji
Old 22-03-2012, 16:04
Silver Member

Wow, epic story about throwing the bottle out on the freeway. Also interesting you mention spice kicking the cravings. The day before yesterday, when I didn't drink, I was completely baked on a marijuana edible and that is why I wasn't drinking.

I am allergic to kava kava (full body rash) but I will probably just smoke a little weed if the cravings get out of control. I'm also trying to kick pot though, makes me disconnected and unmotivated.
Old 07-05-2012, 23:18
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
Kapron is a decent psychonaut.Kapron is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 155, Level: 2 Points: 155, Level: 2 Points: 155, Level: 2
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Swim has a very similar drinking habit in duration and dose although alcohol is not his drug of choice, it is simply very available and cheap. Swim has been drinking 5 days out of 7 with longer periods of no break thrown in here and there for about a year and a half now. Alcohol is not his primary addiction, cannabis is, last month swim went a week and a half without drinking almost without realizing it, mostly because he was doing hard drugs but still no withdrawls. Swim finds it very easy to skip days and always has, that being said when he has no money for "real drugs" the alcohol/marijuana combo gets him from a.m. to p.m.

Alcohol tends to require very high dose abuse (far beyond our 1/3 to 1/2 of a 750 ml bottle) and years at that level of abuse to create the withdrawls it is so infamous for. Swim worried about the exact same thing when he hit the 6 month mark and spent like 4 weeks drinking every single day, alcohol could definitly be considered a hard drug and if one were using prescription downers in this manner they would surely experience withdrawls. Swim was confused but relieved to find that a year later after worrying about withdrawls he can still skip days with relative ease. Swim is a poly drug user to the extreme though... swiy may not be.

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol