Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Alcohol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Alcohol Alcohol, including absinthe, hard liquor, beer, wine, and other assorted spirits.

Old 04-05-2012, 20:52
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
343Stoner is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Depression after drinking beer?

Hey everyone. I had an interesting conversation with an Ocelot, who told me he used to do a lot of beer drinking when he was in his teens, and it usually made him depressed, so he stopped. But, now that this Ocelot is 10 years older, he thought "why not drink some, it's been a long", as this Ocelot has abused opiates, and more recently, Marijuana. So, he's starting drinking. Usually, he can catch a nice buzz off 1 12 OZ Light Beer, though usually thinks that 2 Beers is the best (cauz it gets him somewhat drunk, or really buzzed). The ocelot gets pretty euphoric for the first 20 minutes, that wears off, and is just relaxed, but feels a bit strange in a way, almost disconnected from the world, but it's that bothersome. However, after 3 hours from when the buzz hits, the Ocelot seams to get severely depressed and feels strange. He feels really nasty, but doesn't throw up. I know alcohol can cause a hangover, but this Ocelot knows a bunch of others who drink 2 beers and don't get hungover. It's not like the Ocelot gets sick or passes out, he just feels depressed. So, he wanted me to ask all of you drinkers if they feel depressed after a few beers. He doesn't want to know about a hangover, just depression afterwards. All answers are appreciated. Either way, the ocelot still thinks alcohol is alright.

Also, one more thing he wants to know. When he first drank bear, he had to eat sugar right after to help it go down, and could only pathetically sip it. After drinking a few times, the taste is actually growing on him, and he likes it. I mean, he still thinks the taste is nasty, but he can drink more and enjoys drinking it. Anyone else experience this?
Old 05-05-2012, 22:44
Silver Member

Male from Earth
reef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way up
Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6
Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5%
Re: Depression after drinking beer?

I have found that getting depressed depends a lot on your state of mind, if you have something to be depressed about maybe?

In my personal experience, I went through some hard times a long while ago and when I got drunk I felt depressed and when I got wasted I even cried. Also when I drank beer to feel better about my benzo withdrawals on this one time I had to quit cold turkey, it made me feel a relief at first but then it struck me back with high anxiety and depression.

There can also be the fact that some people just don't respond to alcohol positively, and you might be one of those people.

Post Quality Evaluations:
good point about how the effects of alcohol can be determined by one's state of mind.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:43
Silver Member

Male from United States
EternalReality is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 343Stoner View Post
Hey everyone. I had an interesting conversation with an Ocelot, who told me he used to do a lot of beer drinking when he was in his teens, and it usually made him depressed, so he stopped. But, now that this Ocelot is 10 years older, he thought "why not drink some, it's been a long", as this Ocelot has abused opiates, and more recently, Marijuana. So, he's starting drinking. Usually, he can catch a nice buzz off 1 12 OZ Light Beer, though usually thinks that 2 Beers is the best (cauz it gets him somewhat drunk, or really buzzed). The ocelot gets pretty euphoric for the first 20 minutes, that wears off, and is just relaxed, but feels a bit strange in a way, almost disconnected from the world, but it's that bothersome. However, after 3 hours from when the buzz hits, the Ocelot seams to get severely depressed and feels strange. He feels really nasty, but doesn't throw up. I know alcohol can cause a hangover, but this Ocelot knows a bunch of others who drink 2 beers and don't get hungover. It's not like the Ocelot gets sick or passes out, he just feels depressed. So, he wanted me to ask all of you drinkers if they feel depressed after a few beers. He doesn't want to know about a hangover, just depression afterwards. All answers are appreciated. Either way, the ocelot still thinks alcohol is alright.

Also, one more thing he wants to know. When he first drank bear, he had to eat sugar right after to help it go down, and could only pathetically sip it. After drinking a few times, the taste is actually growing on him, and he likes it. I mean, he still thinks the taste is nasty, but he can drink more and enjoys drinking it. Anyone else experience this?
as reef88 already stated, some people dont have a positive response to alcohol. and i am not sure so don't hold me to this, but alcohol releases dopamine in the brain which makes you feel "good". and when your brain is depleted from certain things like dopamine you can feel depressed afterwards. similar to when you take too much drug that increases dopamine and serotonin like alcohol or amphetamines, you will get a "withdrawal". it may not be severe but you know it might be severe. and that might be a side effect of a hangover and i know you don't want to hear this but it could be a possibility/ H.A.N.D.
Old 15-05-2012, 07:30

Male from United States
Komotaxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 343Stoner View Post

My lion tends to have the same results from drinking any type of alcohol now. When he was younger alcohol tended to make him experience euphoria and extreme sociability.

After a few months of drinking nearly everyday after his second or third beer/shot he would start to feel the same type of depression you are describing. He personally now feels the depression after one shot or beer. My lion thinks that after the initial excitement and enjoyment of drinking wears off after a long period of time people get burned out it.

When my lion first drank beer he thought the same thing about the taste, but after a while of drinking it he started appreciating the flavor and could pick out subtle differences between brands which he wasn't able to do when he first started.
Old 14-08-2012, 19:40

23 y/o Male from United States
Carminius Finger needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

Brother, i'm not stigmatizing you, but alot of people (including myself) who Ive known have experienced this same effect have ended up alcoholics (and some of them diabetics) so just keep an eye on it.
Old 14-08-2012, 19:56
Titanium Member

36 y/o Female from United States
Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 450, Level: 3 Points: 450, Level: 3 Points: 450, Level: 3

I've never really heard of or personally experienced this, just the more common drink too much with too many underlying issues and end up crying in your drink, or worse calling inappropriate people up all hours of the night.

I generally prefer myself to keep it to 2-3 drinks, but I do find that drinking anywhere from 1-3 beers while cause me to become tired and "headachey" if I don't drink more or go to bed right after. When I wake up after drinking that amount I don't seem to experience any type of hangover. I've also found that eating afterwards helps a lot too. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but it typically takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to consume my drink. I like getting a "buzz" from alcohol, but for me with any drug I don't like becoming "too outta sorts"., and drinking at the rate and even including water seems to keep that from happening. Anything consumed before that is going to produce intoxication more rapidly, as your liver doesn't have time to metabolize it correctly.

Not sure if I've helped any, but that's my experience. As a kid I didn't enjoy alcohol's taste, just the effects and I've found as an adult I prefer imports and beer made from local breweries. It's often said that alcohol is an acquired taste especially beer. I also don't care for cheap whiskey or liquor. I find top shelf to provide the best effects and least amount of hangover symptoms. So perhaps you need to experiment a little to find out your own personal tastes and see if different drinks provide different experiences for you. Take care, M
Old 21-08-2012, 16:19
Silver Member

27 y/o Female from United Kingdom
scartissue is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1

343, as a couple of people have already mentioned, im the same with alcohol nowadays.
Few years ago i used to drink, and it would make me happy and sociable and have a great night, but after certain things in my life happened, whenever i touch alcohol now, it just makes me feel awful. Depressed, violent and generally not a nice person to be around. So i dont touch it anymore.

Alcohol is the same as any drug, some people just dont have a good reaction to it.
If you do acid, and you have a really bad trip, your unlikely to want to do it again..
If alcohol makes you unhappy whenever you drink it, you'd probably be best callin it a day with it.
Old 22-08-2012, 17:06
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from Australia
Nertplor is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 143, Level: 1 Points: 143, Level: 1 Points: 143, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef88 View Post
I have found that getting depressed depends a lot on your state of mind, if you have something to be depressed about maybe?
Exactly what ive determined from my mere decade of drinking experience...

As soon as something crops up in my mind that I may have something to be either 'anxious', 'depressed' or worried about... the next day is hell on earth :/ usually two or three

if not, the next day is euphoria ! having congratulated myself on a night of not doing something stupid and having a good time !
Old 06-09-2012, 00:55
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from Ireland
bushboy is a decent psychonaut.bushboy is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 209, Level: 2 Points: 209, Level: 2 Points: 209, Level: 2

I am a heavy, but sociable, drinker. I started drinking when I was 15 and am now 27. In that time I have drank more booze than most people do in their whole life. I have experienced ups and downs in my personal life (mainly ups) and never had any problems with other drug dependence, depression, bullying, etc. In the past few years I have found that, on rare occassions, the day after a heavy drinking session that I feel very badly "out of sorts". I can only describe it as depression, although I cant compare it with clinically diagnosed depression as I never suffered from this. Lying in bed, not wanting to get up. Not wanting to talk to anyone. Not really feeling bad about anything either; just feeling nothing. Just numbness and a desire to go back to sleep and wake up when the feeling goes away. Hauling myself out of bed to do simple tasks.

This is a new thing but thankfully happens very rarely. There are no obvious external factors causing this. Two friends suffer from "the blues" too, and are in the same boat as me. This never happens during a drinking session; that needs something to set me off (bad memories, a break-up, a fight with a loved one, etc). The two friends both tell me that they only began experiencing this at around age 25, after 10 years of drinking (just like myself). Maybe our brain chemistry is changing over time, who knows. Anyway for my friends and I the likelihood of this happening (for me probably once a year or so, maybe every 50 - 100 sessions) is so low that we all just ignore it and drink as normal.
Old 14-09-2012, 22:14

Female from United States
Montanagirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Definitely knows what you're talking about. My kitty likes to drink when playing in his band, but almost always feels down a bit later and also his little arms get tired. People in the audience always tell him they don't understand because booze wakes them up. But they're not working per se ya know? If a kitty has to play 5 sets and try to keep up a good front, he has to wait 2-3 sets before he has the first one. Even then, by 1 am he's feeling crabby and wishes the people with GTF out so the band can quit.

Hell of a note, for someone who likes to drink.
Old 16-09-2012, 19:07
Silver Member

44 y/o Male from USA - Massachusetts
profesor is on the way upprofesor is on the way upprofesor is on the way up

The temporary lift from beer and other alcohol is from the large amount of carbohydrates (cause of the infamous beer belly too) and the experience depends on your metabolism. The depressant effect usually lasts longer, and yes it is pretty close to depression- what I experience during depressive episodes anyways. The tannin in red wine and beer can also cause headaches in sensitive people. Try drinks without tannin if headaches are a problem.

Share this on: