Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antidepressants
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 27-04-2012, 15:39

Male from Canada
picuru is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 163, Level: 2 Points: 163, Level: 2 Points: 163, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Antidepressants change the personality?

I have read that, and i want to know if that is true, because i have bought Hypericum Perforatum (commercially known as "St. John`s Worth), that is a natural antidepressant.
When i was ready to start taking it, i read in internet that antidepressants could change personality, so i decided to investigate.. because i like my personality (except for some behavior, but that are due to the anxiety and mild depression i have).
Is that true? I mean, not while on its effects, but when you cut down the usage of them.

Thanks.
Old 27-04-2012, 16:31
Palladium Member

Female from USA - Washington
sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.
Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Antidepressants change the personality?

I think there may be some basis in fact for those claims, but it is quite dependent on the antidepressant prescribed.

From personal experience, I can say there are some drugs that 'blunt' the emotions. This makes sense in a way if it's for treating an 'unwanted' (depression) emotion. Apparently those drugs didn't discriminate which emotions, so blunted all of them.

I have never read anything in that regard about St John's Wort. From what I have read, the people who had success with it are quite satisfied.

I am not sure I understand your meaning about "not while on its effects, but when you cut down usage of them".
Seems as if you are asking two questions, one about personality changes and the other about withdrawal effects?

In my opinion, you wouldn't likely have a negative reaction to St John's, but since so much depends on individual circumstances, I can't say for sure.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2012, 22:35
Titanium Member

Female from USA - Texas
alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,123, Level: 5 Points: 1,123, Level: 5 Points: 1,123, Level: 5

I often have wondered in antidepressants change the personality. Textbooks say that personality is unchanging unless a person experiences brain damage. I have found this to be untrue in my life. My personality has changed a few different times.

I took antidepressants off and on for 6 years. The most recent time was the highest dosage. I took Lorazepam and Celexa for about 3 years straight. I have been off of them for 71 days. My personality is a lot different. Suddenly, I care about things again. I am genuinely happy, not just jaded. I was having pretty extreme mood swings and delusional thoughts. I am a lot more stable and reasonable. My boyfriend is honest with me about how I treat him and he is thankful I decided to stop all medications.

I think that people have a baseline personality. I think that antidepressants skew a person's reactions and over time, change perspective. Sometimes this is for the better. After a few years, I feel like I have returned to the better part of who I am.
Old 14-06-2012, 00:19
Silver Member

Male from Earth
reef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way up
Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6
Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5%

Zoloft (Sertraline) changed me in the sense that I don't experience social anxiety anymore. I'm a more sociable person, I guess that counts as a personality change. I wen't from being modertately-severely anxious in social situations to being almost no anxious at all. In fact, the treatment (which was short-term, 6-7 months) raised my self-esteem and my confidence by a lot. I am glad I went through that treatment, the only downside was that I could not reach orgasm for the life of me, even after hours of trying.

It's only been a year since treatment and I don't know if this will last another year, or for the rest of my life, all I know if that this far it has changed me into the person I wanted to be.

I always self-medicated with benzos, and I also became what Zoloft did to me, but only while under the influence, and physical dependence followed, I knew I couldn't keep doing benzos forever, so I tried Sertraline and it worked wonders for me.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Valuable personal experience and insight.
Old 16-06-2012, 23:58
Titanium Member

Female from USA - Texas
alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,123, Level: 5 Points: 1,123, Level: 5 Points: 1,123, Level: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef88 View Post
It's only been a year since treatment and I don't know if this will last another year, or for the rest of my life, all I know if that this far it has changed me into the person I wanted to be.
Do you think that you would have "grown out of" the depression and anxiety naturally? Could there have been anything else to catalyze the changes? The reason I ask is because studies show that some folks that have taken placebos note that these changes are occurring and doctors believe it is the security of "knowing" that the meds will take effect.

I can personally relate to what you're saying about the ability to know what something feels like and that knowledge can change a person. Being on antidepressants helped me to know what a calm mind feels like and I am able to attain it without meds now. I can't decide whether or not I would have eventually come to a place of calm by changing my life. Any opinions on that?
Old 17-06-2012, 04:57
Queen of Zen

45 y/o Female from United States
ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.
Points: 5,291, Level: 10 Points: 5,291, Level: 10 Points: 5,291, Level: 10
Activity: 57.3% Activity: 57.3% Activity: 57.3%

I'm not really sure about St. John's Wart, but if you really do have depression, I would see a doctor, as far as them changing your personality, you read about it all you want, but for me before I went on meds I couldn't even stand to be around me let alone anyone else. After I went on meds for the very first time in my life, I knew what life was like, what it was like to be happy, I thought depression was just my way of life. Yes my personality changed!!!! I was no longer a raving bitch, I became interested in things, that person.. ya know the one you go to when you need something. Even more important I began to like myself again.... so I don't care what statistics, studies, doctors, or anything else says... it did for me for the best, and that's just my personal story. Everybody is different... good luck to you

Post Quality Evaluations:
Insightful experience report and good advice!
Old 17-06-2012, 05:02
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
George9617 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 115, Level: 1 Points: 115, Level: 1 Points: 115, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

Not to discourage but I took zoloft a few yars ago and could not stand the false happiness. For me it was so annoying that I had no reason to feel happy(just did). I stopped medication and just resolved whatever was making me depressed and all is well now. Find the root of your depression
Old 17-06-2012, 06:38
Queen of Zen

45 y/o Female from United States
ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.ZenobiaSky really knows their shit.
Points: 5,291, Level: 10 Points: 5,291, Level: 10 Points: 5,291, Level: 10
Activity: 57.3% Activity: 57.3% Activity: 57.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by George9617 View Post
Not to discourage but I took zoloft a few yars ago and could not stand the false happiness. For me it was so annoying that I had no reason to feel happy(just did). I stopped medication and just resolved whatever was making me depressed and all is well now. Find the root of your depression
That's really great that you could do that, a lot of people have situational depression, in which meds only work short time, and then like you said they just need to resolve what's causing their depression. Unfortunately in many it's a chemical imbalance in the brain, as with the case with me, it is a very real and wide spread disease.
Old 17-06-2012, 07:02
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
George9617 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 115, Level: 1 Points: 115, Level: 1 Points: 115, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't really ever read up on the subject like I do other things. if that is the case, meds for life would be the only way to go and whatever your personality comes to be is the new you and you have to accept that. It's not like your personality can be bad just a more positive one
Old 24-06-2012, 17:21
Silver Member

Male from Earth
bigzamzam is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

It depends on what you define personality as, especially in relation to identity. If personality is 'long lasting patterns of behavior and perceptions of the world' and you've been depressed for a long time, then having a pessimistic hopeless outlook and interpretation of the world, as well as low mood, low energy, possible overeating, low interest, may be considered part of your recent personality, but taking an antidepressant may change that pattern of behavior and perception into being happy, upbeat, energetic, interested in new hobbies, etc. So, yes in this way antidepressants change personality. If you mean something deeper down when you say personality though thats more tricky. A person's view of another could be radically altered when that changed person suddenly takes more risks, stands up for himself in social situations, becomes more confident, has new attitudes about politics perhaps, or looses their anxiety.

You will still have your same memories, and same life, you will still feel like you are yourself of course. You'll probably just feel better and act better.
Old 24-06-2012, 19:39

Male from United States
jackiesbaby should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4 Points: 781, Level: 4

SJW actually has pharmacological backing proving it works. One of the chemicals works as an SSRI(Hyperforin), and other other one works as a weak MAOI and it inhibits the enzyme that converts dopamine to NE(Hypericin).

I use a hypericin only brand as I don't really want an SSRI, and it works wonders for atypical depression. (Hypersomnia, no motivation, can be happy but it's short lived unlike melancholic depression's inability to be happy, but these happy spurts only come when something very good happens and the anhedonia soon returns)

Share this on: