Old 26-04-2012, 13:38
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from United Kingdom
RClover is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 249, Level: 2 Points: 249, Level: 2 Points: 249, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Why do they have no effect on me?

Hi there,

First of all I would like to apologize if this has been posted in the wrong section although I am pretty sure this is the right section.

I am currently unwell and have been now for 16 days, I have been to my doctors and they sent me to have a blood test which came back saying I had a viral infection, Although they did not specify any specific infection.

Anyhow one of the symptoms is that I have an extremely sore throat, It has got to the point where even drinking fluids makes me want to scream in agony, I have revisited my doctors today who wants to send me for another blood test but still insists theres nothing they can do for a viral infection, for example antibiotics. I undertsnad this as I know they have no effect on a virus but that is not my issue.

I asked my doctor about pain relief and she told me to get some ibuprofen, asprin etc. But I tried explaining to her that they do not seem to affect me, I have taken them as she said but they offer me no pain relief. It has got to the point where I don't think anyone believes me, I have tried so many different painkillers, plus a combination the doctors told me to take and none of them offer me any pain relief!

SWIM took matters into his own hands the other day and asked my mum for some of her prescribed tramadol, To his surprise this also had no pain killing effects for him and just made him feel a bit drowsy. Could someone explain if this is possible or not? By this I mean is it possible not to be affected by these painkilling medications? I realise I am not serisoly Ill and don't want to seem like Im complaining but I have already started to lose alot of weight as It is agony to eat!

Any replys will be greatly appreciated,

Thank you.
Old 26-04-2012, 13:46
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from United States
AltrdPercption really adds to the discussion.AltrdPercption really adds to the discussion.AltrdPercption really adds to the discussion.AltrdPercption really adds to the discussion.AltrdPercption really adds to the discussion.AltrdPercption really adds to the discussion.
Points: 909, Level: 4 Points: 909, Level: 4 Points: 909, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Why do they have no effect on me?

Hello RCLover,

I am sorry to hear that you are ill. However, I think your best option is to tough it out and stay away from the opiates. Opiates effect everyone differently, I have heard of certain people getting little to no effect from opiates, where other people would be nodding out from the same dosage. There are a lot of factors that could contribute to something like this, but it is very hard to give a definitive answer online.

My personal opinion is too stay away from the opiates, even Tramadol, especially if they are not helping. Maybe you could get a sore throat spray? Around here they have these bottles of stuff you spray into your mouth and it helps with sore throats, in my opinion it is certainly better than flirting with an opiate addiction.

"Chloraseptic® Sore Throat Sprays provide relief from sore throat and mouth pain on contact."

Dunno, just another option you could try before going back to the opiates. Hope you can find some relief , and keep us updated on your status.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Great suggestion, Alternative to using opitates for someone with a high tolerance
Chloraseptic works wonders. A good post, and just what the OP needed to hear.
Old 26-04-2012, 15:11
Silver Member

Thanks for the suggestion mate, I'll pop down the chemist to see if they have any Thanks for the reply I've not taken any pills for around 4 hours now and the pain is just as bad as when I had taken the pills, They really do seem to have no effect on me.

I hadn't heard of this spray before so I'll definatly give it a try sounds alot more appealing then having to swallow another pill!
Old 26-04-2012, 15:42
Platinum Member & Advisor

33 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 18,439, Level: 19 Points: 18,439, Level: 19 Points: 18,439, Level: 19
Activity: 95.5% Activity: 95.5% Activity: 95.5%

tramadol doesn't work for everyone in the first place.

Opiates don't actually stop pain, they just make it tolerable by getting you high. Because this pain is acute and the result of foreign contact with open wounds, the pain is too great to be countered effectively.

anesthetics are the way to go. I would even recommend a dose of 70-100mg DXM if it hurts that bad. I find DXM to be incredibly useful in low doses for a pain killer.

Fantastic suggestions. I've also found DXM to be useful as a pain killer & didn't know others did as well. Great point about how opiates work on pain.
Old 26-04-2012, 19:16
Silver Member

Thank you for your reply to potter, I will have to do some research on how to obtain DXM in england, Im not sure if it is avaliable in our cough syrups although a quick google search will tell me that I know you can get it from RC websites but I wouldn't trust the purity of the product.

I have finally found some relief in what I believe to be an anesthetics, I bought some lozenges from the local chemist that contain, 10mg benzocaine and 0.25mg Dequalinium Chloride as the active ingredients, I will be doing my research on these two chemicals as these lozengers have given me a lot of relief they seem to numb my tounge and throat!

I'm very intrested to in your suggestion for DXM potter I now feel silly not thinking of it as it is sold as cough syrups! Thank you
Old 26-04-2012, 19:37
Silver Member

Male from United States
bosshallucy is an unknown quantity at this point

Try some Kratom..

An OK suggestion, but otherwise a pointless one-liner. Perhaps if you had explained why kratom might (or might not be) better than what the OP had already tried, this post might have added more to the thread.
Old 26-04-2012, 20:35
Silver Member

Right news update, I have reached my 4th lozenger of today and they seem to be having less effect everytime I use them, The first lozenger seemed to relieve the pain quite a bit now I'm starting to wonder if this was possibly placebo?

I can feel them numbing my throat but the pain is still there and it is still extremely bad. From around yesterday and tyoday it is almost become impossible to eat or drink fluids the pain in my throat if I try to swallow something seems to carry on through to my ears and feels like I dont know if anyone here does martial arts etc. When the pressure points behind both ears are pushed (if you know what I mean the pain is very simular)

I am a very fit individual, I like to do cardio and lift weights reguaraly, Whatever I have it has made me lose approx half a stone already, I am starting to gett really worried because I can no longer withstand the pain of eating whether it is a bowl of soup or a sandwich it dosent matter its just as painful.

Ive been to my doctors various times and there only answer is blood tests and painkillers which I keep insisting to them are not working, I am going to lose a lot of weight if I carry on like this :/
Old 27-04-2012, 09:36
Silver Member

Male from United States
pillpopper96743 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 263, Level: 2 Points: 263, Level: 2 Points: 263, Level: 2
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Try some kratom with overnight shipping. The money is a bitch for good quality extract powder and the shipping cost isnt gonna be pleasant, but for persistant sore throats and body aches associated with being "sick" its a godsend. Theres a lot of methods of tea making online, but id suggest to drink it very hot and if you plan on doing the dirty method (drinking the leaf matter in the mix and not filtering), wash it down with some hot tea to get rid of the sandy stuff that can further irritate your throat if it stays there.

Pros - instant relief, not too addictive if used temporarily, has very similar effects as opiate pain medications, almost impossible to OD.

Cons - Tastes like total shit (seaweed with splenda and earwax), a little expensive, may cause nausea if taken in high doses (buy some anti-nausea meds OTC), dirty wash method may cause further throat irritation if not washed down with something like milk or tea afterwards.

My friend has found mixing it with arizona green tea makes it more tolearable, and chasing it down with OJ neutralizes the nasty after taste. Use mouth wash afterwards to get rid of the bad breath and youre good to go.

Though someone already suggested kratom in this thread, they failed to say anything else on the matter. Thank you for taking it upon yourself to list both the pros and cons of kratom use.
Old 27-04-2012, 12:19
Silver Member

Thanks for all your replys guys, I was looking forward today to ordering some to find the last pay pack from my work just ended a temporary three month contract was peanuts... I got paid 275 quid just enough to cover the cancellation of my car insurance! So I can't afford anything. I'm ill, Can't do no labouring work for cash as my doctors says if I lift anything heavy my spleen could rupture I turn 20 In two days Haven't got a job, Can't afford to run a car, or buy medication or eat.

Oh I do love living in england under a conservative goverment -.- Sorry about the rant I know alot of people have it alot worse than me, just had enough of being ill, poor and jobless! haha

I will keep kratom in mind if I can manage to scrap some money together in the next few days!

Thank you for your help guys!
Old 27-04-2012, 15:22
Silver Member

22 y/o Female from United Kingdom
[tanarilla.] is on the way up[tanarilla.] is on the way up[tanarilla.] is on the way up
Points: 1,004, Level: 4 Points: 1,004, Level: 4 Points: 1,004, Level: 4

I think your problem isn't necessarily that painkillers have little effect on you, but rather that this isn't actually an issue of pain. Having a 'sore throat' means very little - you could have tonsillitis, pharyngitis, the common cold, almost any type of flu. One important question though: Are you vaccinated against diphtheria?

Most sore throats are caused by swelling and inflammation - so you need something to get rid of that. Opiates don't relieve swelling or inflammation. If NSAIDs don't work, your doctor should be willing to try steroids. I believe your doctor has concluded you have viral pharyngitis? If everything else hasn't been ruled out, it might be worth to try anti-fungals, as viral infections often just present with one random symptom, but doctors tend to say 'it's viral' just to get you off their backs, and there could be an underlying fungal infection. If pollutant and chemical causes have been ruled out and there is no improvement soon, then it could be very well be that. If you have no other symptoms apart from the sore throat then it is most likely viral - if you do have other symptoms it's more likely to be a fungal or bacterial. Have you been on antibiotics yet?

Do you ever get acid reflux? Acid reflux can cause horrendous damage to the throat. The solution then is to take calcium carbonate, i.e. Rennie, Tums, etc.

Does your house/flat have mould?

Btw if you sign on your prescriptions will be free.

Good point made about many causes for "sore throat", and that painkillers might not have any effect on some of those things. A short term steroid taper was a great suggestion as well. All around excellent post with lots that others missed.

Last edited by [tanarilla.]; 27-04-2012 at 15:27.
Old 27-04-2012, 17:59
Silver Member

There is one room in my house which has an extremely bad damp/mould problem, But I very rarely go in this room as it is out the back. My doctor from the first blood test said It was a viral infection but would not specify anything, Just said I have a viral infection.

The sore throat is not my only symptom, I have swollen neck glands, now both sides, Swollen upper eyelids, fever, Night sweats, Migraines, Swollen spleen - Doctor said, lower back pain - seems to have cleared up, upper left abdominal pain, it seems for every symtom I lose I gain another Im on about the 18th day of being sick now.

The doctors won't give me antibiotics as they say it is viral, On the blood test they did full blood count and paul bunnel as they were looking for glandular fever but it came back negative, although Im aware you can get many false results for glandular fever for it to come back posistive after about 3 or 4 tests.

I may have to sign on soon although I do not want to, I just want to be back in work, The state of this country is terrible, Plus I have a suspision my doctors don't like handing out antibiotics!

Thank you for your reply
Old 27-04-2012, 18:10
Platinum Member & Advisor

33 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 18,439, Level: 19 Points: 18,439, Level: 19 Points: 18,439, Level: 19
Activity: 95.5% Activity: 95.5% Activity: 95.5%

I suspect if the tramadol didn't work, kratom isn't going to do anything, it's hardly a strong opiate.

Have you thought of a feeding tube?

Just a thought, this is a recreational drugs forum, not medical advice. If this is effecting you this bad, you should be searching for a new doctor.
Old 27-04-2012, 19:23
Silver Member

[tanarilla.] is on the way up[tanarilla.] is on the way up[tanarilla.] is on the way up

You don't have the be in the affected room constantly to experience the negative effects of mould on your health. If you're immune system is weak, you're exposing yourself to opportunistic mycosis. So personally I would stay out of that room for now.

This may sound weird, but have you got a cat? If yes, do you keep a litterbox, and do you clean it yourself?
Do you have any cysts or abscesses at the moment?

I was just about to suggest glandular fever, but if it's ruled out...

Thing is, you need to persevere with your doctor, because unless you keep nagging them, they won't bother getting to the bottom of this. It's sad, but the general view is that unless your condition is suspected to be life threatening they really aren't keen on getting you treatment or running tests. You will probably get told 'see how you feel next week' a couple of times, but just keep going back and telling them you're very unwell, because by the sounds of it, you are very ill.
Old 27-04-2012, 21:44
Silver Member

Sorry I know have turnt this disscussion to more of a medical nature. It seems bad but I have already tried two different doctors now and they don't seem willing to listen, As much as I don't want to I will go to A&E tommorow as the symtoms are no longer bareable, I am quite a fit individual but have lost so much weight and friends and family say I look like a different person.

I do have cats but they don't have a litterbox as they are grown up now I have come close to passing out few times now and the fevers have become extremely random, Coming and going like mad.

I will inform you on what happens, thank you for your support and replies I really do appreciate it.

Richard.
Old 28-04-2012, 21:54
Silver Member

I hope they can sort something out for you though last time I was in A&E they were incredibly rude and unhelpful, hope you have a different experience.

I was asking about cats because your symptoms sound like toxoplasmosis, though I'm obviously no doctor, I would mention that you have cats to your GP, usually when a person has cats when they suddenly develop an illness that is like glandular fever, and it turns out not to be glandular fever...it would also explain your enlarged spleen.

Very helpful posts in this thread, excellent suggestions.
Old 29-04-2012, 16:46
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15 Points: 11,079, Level: 15
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

I concur with Potter on the Kratom - it's weaker in its opioid-like action than tramadol, plus if someone's having trouble getting water down, how the fuck are they gonna manage a toss&wash??!

Forget the kratom. Try the DXM (dextromethorphan) if you can find it (& I'm pretty sure you can).

Opioids don't always work for pain, and as stated, they mostly work by making you not give a damn that you're in pain. This leads to much trouble for lots of people...

I don't think the pain relief from the lozenges (& did you try the spray kind too?) was placebo, I think it's just sort of a tolerance thing. Which I know sounds weird, but it used to happen to me a lot when I'd use, say, Oragel near-constantly while waiting for a dental appointment; my body just got used to how it killed the pain. Try to limit the use to before meals & when it's super-duper-wicked-unbearable, as opposed to just when it's very-unbearable.

You need to push the issue, esp if all the other things are present too. You definitely need some kind of anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs - ibuprofen, naproxen, ketoprofen is another one, iirc), and if the OTCs aren't helping, ask for a prescription-strength one.

If your throat is really swollen, that's no joking matter & it needs to be taken care of; you don't want it to swell enough to close it off completely in your sleep.

Try drinking protein shakes, or "meal replacement" shakes in the meantime; they're quick to get down & will get some goodies in you until you can eat more substantial meals again.

And don't leave the fucking ER (A&E across the pond, I guess it's called?) until they help you - and give you a referral to another doctor. Perhaps one that specialises in the sort of issues you're having.

Ask to be checked for that toxoplasmosis too - the idea of that has always scared the crap outta me, because I haven't had less than 4 cats at a time in over 15 years, so we have lots of litter boxes. *shudder*

Good luck on your search for a concrete diagnosis (& hopefully, a cure for it too!). Let us know if they figure out more specifically what this is; I'm very curious now myself. As it's not directly related to opioids anymore, there might be a better place for this thread, though...the Mods will know what to do with it, I'm sure.

~Kailey
Old 05-05-2012, 04:47

27 y/o Male from United Kingdom
mrstabby is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RClover View Post
Oh I do love living in england under a conservative goverment -.- Sorry about the rant I know alot of people have it alot worse than me, just had enough of being ill, poor and jobless! haha
lol as if new labia would be any fooking different.

seriously, while torys are bastards (new) labour is much worse and remember that there's a lib dem presence in our* government too who if they had any fucking balls would be pushing for civil liberties, instead they appear to be trying to destroy their own party for unknown reasons

p.s. as an opioid addict believe me you don't want to go down my route, I'm 25 personally and allegedly highly succesful, and were opioids legal would have no problem remaining so. But while they are, they're a meance. I am working on a fun text about em which I may publish here, or somewhere else, some time in the short future. And cause I'm working on it when I'm sober, it'll be a lot more coherent than this post!

*I say our, and I say country - I'm on the Isle of Man (moved here to avoid evil UK tax ), so I can say "our" and then I can say "country" and I can mean different places

mrstabby added 3 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [tanarilla.] View Post
I was asking about cats because your symptoms sound like toxoplasmosis
hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by [tanarilla.] View Post
though I'm obviously no doctor
ahh

Last edited by mrstabby; 05-05-2012 at 04:47. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-05-2012, 15:58
Silver Member

Did you find out what was wrong with you? I hope you're feeling better now though...
Old 07-06-2012, 23:21
Silver Member

Sorry I took so long to reply... Never bothered going back to the doctors just longed it out, Took me a month to kick in the end although there still were some lingering effects after that, There must have been some scar tissue under the left side of neck because you can now clearly see that the artery on the left pokes out more than the right! Weird!

By the way, I'd like to say its terrible advice to not go to the doctors, I can be really stubborn and don't like the docs anyway, but if there is something wrong with you go to the doctors !

I'm better now though
Old 08-06-2012, 15:33
Silver Member

That sounds very unpleasant. Does the scar tissue interfere with your breathing/talking?
Old 09-06-2012, 17:02
Silver Member

I haven't yet noticed any effect, Or maybe one small one, Because it now pokes out a bit more I'm sure I can feel it more, if that makes sense.

For example if i'm down the gym, or taking anything, Basically anything that gets my heart going I can feel it beating more than the right one. Its led to me pranging (freaking out) sometimes when I'm high because I become aware of my heart, kinda of feels like having palpitations. This wouldn't normally be a problem but I had a panic attack from AM 2201 months back and no high has been the same since, keep having anxiety panic attacks when I'm high :/ I've stopped all drugs now! Might try smoking some weed again in a month, but still not sure!

Thank you for coming back to update, even if it took a while.

Share this on:

Tags
dxm, kratom, opiates, opioids, pain control, pain management, pain relief, sore throat