Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Deliriant antihistamines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Deliriant antihistamines Diphenhydramine, cyclizine and other antihistamines.

Old 16-04-2012, 14:29

28 y/o Male from United States
Duke Zion is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Brompheniramine

AFOAF was wondering if in low doses if this is similar to DPH and has any recreational abuse potential. AFOAF took low doses for a cold of dimetapp and it brought a great euphoria.
Old 16-04-2012, 15:05
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,275, Level: 20 Points: 19,275, Level: 20 Points: 19,275, Level: 20
Activity: 60.0% Activity: 60.0% Activity: 60.0%
Re: Brompheniramine

Looks as bad for you as the rest of the anti-histamines. I certainly wouldn't bother with it.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Fair comment but requires some explanation.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:13
zedletter zedletter is nu online
rehab reject glue sniffer

28 y/o Male from United States
zedletter is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 236, Level: 2 Points: 236, Level: 2 Points: 236, Level: 2
Activity: 5.2% Activity: 5.2% Activity: 5.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter View Post
Looks as bad for you as the rest of the anti-histamines. I certainly wouldn't bother with it.
Potter why do you always have to tell people false information. You might think anti-histamines and useless and dangerous, but that's your opinion. Keep it to yourself and let an un-biased user respond to some guy that needs help.

2 Stars for having the courage to admonish a higher ranking member for doing wrong. It needed to be said. Good job.
Totally agree with your statement. Her constant need to post negative and useless comments towards Deliriants never ceases to bug me. You're in the wrong section, lady!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:16
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.
Points: 934, Level: 4 Points: 934, Level: 4 Points: 934, Level: 4
Activity: 52.3% Activity: 52.3% Activity: 52.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedletter View Post
You might think anti-histamines and useless and dangerous.
Do you know what anti-histamine high is?

anti-histamines cause delirium. delirium is not really a high. can you google delirium? do you know what you may do to yourself in a state of delirium? things like getting hit by a car, and accidentally killing yourself. you cannot control delirium accompanied by hallucinations, its not like tripping on real psychedelics, you cannot be a veteran user of anti-histamines. the reason you are still alive is luck. the side effects include blackouts and loss of memory and total amnesia, extreme sedation, blurred vision, and also dangerous for the heart at doses of half a gram or less. most anti-histamines produce hangover. there is no safe way to use them. You won't find good drugs inside Walmart, good drugs are harder than that to get.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:37
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Impure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way up
Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Sex Fiend View Post
Do you know what anti-histamine high is?

anti-histamines cause delirium. delirium is not really a high. can you google delirium? do you know what you may do to yourself in a state of delirium? things like getting hit by a car, and accidentally killing yourself. you cannot control delirium accompanied by hallucinations, its not like tripping on real psychedelics, you cannot be a veteran user of anti-histamines. the reason you are still alive is luck. the side effects include blackouts and loss of memory and total amnesia, extreme sedation, blurred vision, and also dangerous for the heart at doses of half a gram or less. most anti-histamines produce hangover. there is no safe way to use them. You won't find good drugs inside Walmart, good drugs are harder than that to get.
You're describing the delirium that occurs from anticholinergics, it just happens that the early antihistamines are also potent anticholinergic agents. Histamine has less to do with cognition so a pure antihistamine without anticholinergic activity won't display the same sort of deliriant effects.

But with that clarified, I can say from personal experience that, assuming you are even able to remember what it was like the standard anticholinergic trip/delirium is not at all euphoric or enjoyable in any way. It's similar if not exactly like a fever-induced delirium, maybe you're someone who enjoys being confused for no reason while seeing small bugs crawling all over the room (spiders seem to be the most common one people see, I couldn't tell what mine were) but most people don't.

Then again, some antimuscarinic drugs have been found to be somewhat euphoric, also bropheniramine is like many of the other early antihistamines which are also SSRI's. Considering how commonly SSRi's induce mania, on top of it's action as an antimuscarinic I could imagine there being some sort of mechanism you triggered which could hypothetically cause the euphoria you felt but it isn't something I've ever heard of or read about.

Last edited by Impure157; 12-10-2013 at 08:49.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:27
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.

yeah, you're right.

By the way I ve heard that mania could cause euphoria and confidence. Its anecdotal evidence. i could not find any study to support it but so I ve heard from few online sources.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:18
Silver Member

Female from Earth
EveryIsland is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Sorry to be down on this, but I always worry when I hear that someone is considering taking an anticholinergic antihistamine recreationally. Even though the psychological effects probably won't be pleasant, (delirium etc.) the physical effects could be worse. I nearly killed myself with diphenydramine and it would have been an excruciating death if it had happened (although it was an ill thought out suicide attempt :/). I could hardly breathe and was in agony! I would hate to think of it happening to someone else, even though it was years ago, it was the worst I've ever felt.

I posted this experience here, please feel free to read it...
Read more: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...#ixzz2hUu8VQ8i

Brompheniramine sounds similar to diphenhydramine, please be careful! Look after your body, and it will look after you X

Just realised you were talking low doses, but nevertheless take care x
Old 12-10-2013, 11:09
Silver Member

Male from Canada

i guess i should have said a maniac episode could lead to confidence and euphoria. it may happen once in a lifetime and never be felt again during other manic episodes the same person experiences. there is no guarantee it ever happens. and it is still based on anecdonal evidence that mania causes euphoria
Old 12-10-2013, 13:33
Silver Member

Manic episodes are pretty much defined by a sense of overconfidence and euphoria or near-euphoria. It's pretty much any state where someone becomes much more energetic than they normally are, whether that means overly-happy or even suddenly very angry for a prolonged period.
Old 13-10-2013, 03:02

26 y/o Male from United States
codeine kid needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

The debate about whether going into delirium is a trip is getting quite old tbh.

You take the chemical and hallucinations occur as a result. Pretty similar to the more "except able " substances.

It may not be a great trip for most people but that doesn't mean it's not a trip because u personally didn't like it. I myself enjoy deliriant highs on occasion. Definitely handle these in moderation tho. I'm probably rambling but I'm not able to stop
Old 19-10-2013, 07:52
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeine kid View Post
The debate about whether going into delirium is a trip is getting quite old tbh.

You take the chemical and hallucinations occur as a result. Pretty similar to the more "except able " substances.
Except you're ignoring the fact that these drugs can cause a person to blackout completely, with accompanying anterograde amnesia, so it's fairly common for someone on high-dose anticholinergics to lose control over their actions and behavior entirely.

Also EveryIsland pointed out something important, many delirients are especially toxic so they either have a very low dose range or a very small therapeutic index. Even if you stay within the "safe" dose range anticholinergics still have a potent effect on heart rate and there's always the chance you could just randomly experience an attack of what's called, "acute anticholinergic syndrome" which can be life threatening.

Good to remind others of risks (physical and mental)
Old 18-12-2013, 18:12
Straight out of Trumpton
Co-Moderator

50 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12
Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0%

My understanding is that brompheniramine is a structurally related analogue of chlorpheniramine and is one of the earlier antihistamines. If brompheniramine has effects in common with chlorpheniramine, central nevous stimulation may occur.

Antihistamines in general can have some serious negative effects:
Quote:
Side-effects that are more common with the older antihistamines include headache, psychomotor impairment, and antimuscarinic effects such as urinary retention, dry mouth, blurred vision, and gastro-intestinal disturbances.

Other rare side-effects of antihistamines include hypotension, palpitation, arrhythmias, extrapyramidal effects, dizziness, confusion, depression, sleep disturbances, tremor, convulsions, hypersensitivity reactions (including bronchospasm, angioedema, and anaphylaxis, rashes, and photosensitivity reactions), blood disorders, liver dysfunction, and angle-closure glaucoma.
British National Formulary December 2013.

The same group of potential negative effects apply to antihistamines in general. Although there might be individual differences brompheniramine may well be just as problematic as other antihistamines. These effects do not appeal to me in the slightest.

Share this on: