Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 14-04-2012, 03:45

Male from United States
INANow is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Xanax stopped working?

SWIM has been using Xanax therapeutically for the past two years to treat anxiety. SWIM was started on 1mg 4x a day by their doctor, but SWM only took 1mg every 12x for the first year and a half. One day, that dose simply stopped working and SWIM felt like crap. So the dosage became 1mg every 6 hours. Within the past two weeks, that has now stopped working and SWIM is reporting feeling horrible, even while on Xanax. SWIM is reporting feeling an intense sort of dizziness or lightheadedness, vertigo, and a sort of odd disconnection from their body. They have reported feeling as if their legs/arms aren't "there". Not in any neurological way (if they touch their legs they can feel theM) but as if their limbs simply don't feel attached to their body, which causes great distress. They have reported weird distortions in perception which make them feel as if they are about to pass out. The Xanax has over the past year and a half made SWIM pretty much bedridden and it has caused medical/physical problems (weight gain and some more serious medical issues which were never there before) as well as social problems relating to this and a lessened inhibition and SWIM has been lacking in any enthusiasm to do anything, even things SWIM previously enjoyed. SWIM would go for long walks for example, but now doesn't leave the house unless they have to. They have said it is not out of fear or agoraphobia but simply a lack of desire, but a part of their brain wants to do these things while they simply lack the motivation. They are not "addicted" in the sense that they crave the medication, nor do they pop the pills and still take the 1mg/6 hour dose, but their body experiences these symptoms even if the medication is taken on time. Even when on dose, SWIM experiences these symptoms now.

SWIM is not nor has ever been any drug or alcohol user, recreationally or otherwise. SWIM wants off the medication totally and doesn't want to have to take any other medication ever again, but is afraid of the withdrawal symptoms and will not enter any clinic as they fear such could hamper their future/career pursuits. Any advice I could pass on for them on what to do?

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please don't use SWIM; it's highly discouraged by staff. There is no longer any self incrimination rule, but if you'd like to avoid it, it is much better to write creatively. There's no need here as this is your prescribed medication.
Old 14-04-2012, 03:56
Silver Member

Male from Earth
reef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way up
Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6
Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5%
Re: Xanax stopped working? SWIM needs help!

It stopped working because SWIY developed tolerance and got dependent on it. Now SWIY needs a larger dose to get the same effect. Sounds like SWIY is already feeling withdrawals without realizing it. My recommendation is get a doctor to help you taper off Xanax, he will probably prescribe diazepam or clonazepam. If SWIY can't talk to a doctor then SWIY should get his hands on some Diazepam, if not then Clonazepam and begin to taper off. You can look up the Ashton Manual which can help you get off Xanax.
Old 14-04-2012, 04:30

Male from United States
INANow is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef88 View Post
It stopped working because SWIY developed tolerance and got dependent on it. Now SWIY needs a larger dose to get the same effect. Sounds like SWIY is already feeling withdrawals without realizing it. My recommendation is get a doctor to help you taper off Xanax, he will probably prescribe diazepam or clonazepam. If SWIY can't talk to a doctor then SWIY should get his hands on some Diazepam, if not then Clonazepam and begin to taper off. You can look up the Ashton Manual which can help you get off Xanax.
SWIM's doctor put them on a high dose of Xanax despite knowing SWIM's family had a history of chemical dependencies and despite SWIM never being on ANY medication before...So SWIM is not sure they should trust the doctor's judgement. One time, a drug addicted relative of SWIM stole their Xanax prescription and SWIM's doctor was forced to write a Valium prescription because SWIM was getting hot and cold sweats (in the middle of winter), intense dizziness and a sense of derealization. The problem was, SWIM was on 1mg Xanax and their doctor wrote a prescription for the lowest dose of Valium possible, so the dose wasn't equivalent. And that was the worst week or two of SWIM's life.

So, in your opinion, if SWIM is taking 1mg Xanax every 6 hours (1 pill in the morning, one pill in the afternoon, one at night--SWIM sleeps through the 'late night/early morning' dose, so is technically taking 3mg daily), what would be a good equivalent dose of Valium and how should the tapering start exactly?
Old 14-04-2012, 04:40
Silver Member

Male from Earth
reef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way up
Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6
Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5%

According to benzodocs.com, 1mg of alprazolam is 20mg of diazepam. You would be taking 60mg of diazepam, I'd say a little less, maybe 55mg for a whole week, then down to 50mg for another week, and so forward, until you reach 0mg. If you taper of 5mg of diazepam every week it is equivalent to 0.25mg of alprazolam. Which in my friend's opinion is a very slow taper.

A friend of mine likes to taper off in a more radical way and likes to taper off 1mg of alprazolam every week, meaning if he is taking the equivalent of 3mg alprazolam one week, the next week he'd be taking 2mg. This is a fast taper, and is harder but faster to accomplish.

However, SWIM recommends tapering off the equivalent of 0.5mg alprazolam in diazepam every week. I doubt you'll feel any withdrawals.

I want to add that I really have no idea why your doctor upped your Xanax dose, can you tell me whatever reason he gave you for this? If your doctor said that you need these meds then I don't advice you to taper off. If you doubt about your doctor then ask another one and tell them about your current situation and the past actions your doctor has made that accidently (i suppose) made you go through those withdrawals and the "worst weeks" of your life.

Last edited by reef88; 14-04-2012 at 04:48.

Share this on:

Tags
benzos