Kratom Mitragyna speciosa

Old 11-04-2012, 17:48
Dankfish Dankfish is nu online
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from United States
Dankfish is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 296, Level: 2 Points: 296, Level: 2 Points: 296, Level: 2
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Kratom may be effective in kicking alcoholism.

For the past 9 or 10 months, SWIM has been drinking alcohol like water. There were few days in this span where SWIM was not getting drunk, often in the daytime as well. On a tame night he probably consumed 8ish units of alcohol. Often these would stretch into 15-20ish units in a night (he weighs 130 lbs mind you.) He blacked out more times than he can possibly count and did many stupid things (pissing on the floor he shared with roomates, injuring himself countless times by falling, headbutting his best friend in the face, pissing his bed numerous times, etc... you get the point.) It got to the point where SWIM was drunk so often he couldn't do any of his favorite hobbies such as playing guitar, painting, or reading. He COULD write but it came out somewhat incoherent. SWIM basically isolated himself from all his friends, the only reason he was not kicked out of the house was because he's known them since childhood and they were very patient with him, even though he was a major asshole every day.

SWIM then began reading about Kratom and how it was successful in replacing opiate addiction. He mainly wanted to try this kratom because he knew he loved opiates already. Then he began wondering if it could also replace his alcohol consumption. He ordered 4 ounces of Bali leaves. SWIM began making tea using around 5-8 grams. The first day of using kratom, SWIM drank. It was very difficult for him to quit cold turkey. But, SWIM continued using kratom and is now on his fourth day of not having ANY booze whatsoever. This is absolutely unheard of for him. When he is under the influence of kratom, that tension that urges him to get completely shitfaced is simply gone.

SWIM is back to doing all his favorite hobbies, he is on great terms with all of his friends, and is not waking up to being still drunk and then hungover for the rest of the day until he drinks to the point of memory lapse.

Now, SWIM realizes this is actually a very short period of sobriety, but it is still something that SWIM strongly feels could not have happened without kratom use. He also realizes that replacing one drug with another is an awful walk about, but he feels the kratom habit is much less threatening and is definitely more feasible for an every day existence.

SWIM will keep this thread updated with his experiences and substance use. Hopefully it can help people out there trying to get a grip on their blacked out life.

p.s. SWIM would like to thank FenixDelta753 for helping him with all of his questions and issues through this transition. His help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-04-2012, 18:09
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Canada
MachoManSavage is captain of the psychonauts.MachoManSavage is captain of the psychonauts.
Re: Kratom may be effective in kicking alcoholism.

I'm glad to hear you dropped drinking alcohol. Your body/mind/friends/family will be thankful you are doing kratom, a much safer substance.

How are you enjoying kratom? Apart from the benefits, do you enjoy the feeling more than booze? I find it 100 times more enjoyable. It's so much more warm and pleasant, where as alcohol to me was anything but (I too stopped drinking because my girlfriend was getting very frustrated).

Side note- Kratom can be addictive. Watch your intake. Sure, it'll never grab you like alcohol can, but kratom is one of those "so pleasant, you'll want to do it everyday" kind of highs. Then you realize you are addicted.

Good luck brother. I'm glad kratom saved yet another person.
Old 11-04-2012, 18:37
Silver Member

The kratom high itself is much better than booze for me. I was never happy when I was drunk, I became instantly depressed and withdrawn when I started taking shots. I would often look for things to be pissed off about. The good thing about booze though, compared to most people, is that I literally never vomited or felt any nausea.

On kratom I have this awesome lovely rush that slowly turns into this subtle euphoric feeling. I had one off experience where I experienced dizziness and nausea but I just held it down and waited for it to pass. I absolutely love the fact that it doesn't obscure my ability to perform tasks and do things. It just makes them more enjoyable.

I am also aware of the addiction potential. There was a phase in my life where I wasn't physically addicted to opiates, but I was mentally and literally thought about them all the time. It is a high that is much more sought after than the alcohol drunk in my opinion. I'm just glad it's not as physically damaging. I swear I could feel myself deteriorating mentally and physically from drinking.
Old 11-04-2012, 23:10
Silver Member

Male from United States
FenixDelta753 is captain of the psychonauts.FenixDelta753 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 533, Level: 3 Points: 533, Level: 3 Points: 533, Level: 3
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

I always love reading stories like this. It gives me great happiness for some reason.

I really think you can stick with this mate. Kratom addiction, if you get to that point, isn't that expensive and it really will not harm your liver or decrease your quality of life. For me, you and countless others it's actually improved our lives greatly. if this isn't a reason that kratom should forever remain legal and easily accessible, then I don't know what is.

and the note at the bottom makes all my time here on the forum worth it.
Old 12-04-2012, 17:48
ianzombie ianzombie is nu online
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,555, Level: 20 Points: 19,555, Level: 20 Points: 19,555, Level: 20
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%

Dankfish, are you an alcoholic, or do you just have an unhealthy drinking habbit?
Iveread about many people replacing alcohol with kratom, but ive never read any reports by people who were alcoholics who found that kratom was able to supress their cravings and need to consume alcohol.

Personally i go through phases where i drink a lot every night, for weeks on end, but i can go without alcohol for weeks on end too.
While i have found that when i was new to kratom i did not require any other drug, including alcohol, it was more down to the buzz i felt being enough. I did not need to take another drug.

While kratom is a far better alternative to alcohol abuse, i would be concerned that while initially kratom can offer a lot to people who intend to use it daily, unlike with people who use kratom sensibly by leaving a few days in between uses, regular users often run into problems.
Most notibly the positive effects such as euphoria stop, and often are replaced with anxiety or depressive episodes. Sleeping can also be a problem and i personally, after sustained regular use, coul not sleep without either taking medication or drinking alcohol after the kratom.

I would be worried that the initial pros can make any drug look like a miricle drug, but as we know from experience, most drugs do not sustain their positive effects for long.

I hope you can stay off, or have a healthier relationship with alcohol after an extended break, and i hope kratom helps you to do that. But i also hope that by replacing alcohol with kratom you do not, further down the line, end up with not one but two addictions to maintain.
Old 12-04-2012, 17:55
Silver Member

I mean the term 'alcoholic' is severely subjective. What I go through without drinking for a day would be, fatigue, minor shakes, sweating, extreme agitation, etc.. It's basically like having a hangover that will not stop. The kratom is doing a great job of masking those symptoms for the time being, but like you said I am not sure what will happen down the road.

Last night I also ended up having around 6 beers. Went out with some friends to a bar that has this weekly trivia. Couldn't sit there without beers. I did do better than usual though. Most of the times when we go there I end up a complete wreck by the end of the night.
Old 12-04-2012, 23:16
Silver Member

Male from United States
FenixDelta753 is captain of the psychonauts.FenixDelta753 is captain of the psychonauts.

How is everything going other than that slip up? Is kratom still keeping up the cravings away and what not?
Old 13-04-2012, 03:45
Silver Member

I definitely crave alcohol on occasion. It is a much better "fuck it" release for when shit is hitting the fan. But, other than the one slip up, I have completely kept my consumption at bay.
Old 15-04-2012, 20:37
Silver Member

Male from United States

That's why I love kratom so much. I can be stressed from school or personal relationships and have a dose of kratom and that can all be pushed aside and forgotten about without really completely forgetting if that makes sense. I can approach my problems from a much less emotionally attached version of myself which is essential for me.

How's everything going with kratom mate?
Old 15-04-2012, 21:29
Titanium Member

32 y/o Male from United States
Mr.Cr0wley is captain of the psychonauts.Mr.Cr0wley is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

Not to be a buzzkill, but the term alcoholic is not as subjective as you think. And not to be an ass, but it sounds like are without a doubt an alcoholic. I'm glad you've sobered up some, but it sounds like you may be underestimating the power of your addiction. A bit of Kratom is certainly better than blacking out, but I think that's missing the point, which is that it sounds like you need to be high on something to feel functional.

If it reached the point of isolation and no longer having any interests then what you have a is a full fledged addiction. Kratom can take the edge off and even ease the withdrawals, but it's foolish to think you can rely on it to sustain you for the rest of your life. Given that it is a drug it may not be too much longer before laws are enacted to make it illegal. Either that or your tolerance will build to the point of it no longer assisting you.

What you've taken is only a first step. If you don't keep walking and get the real help you need you will end up back where you started man. That's not me being a pessimist. . .

It's addiction.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Some good and honest points, an excelent post
Old 15-04-2012, 22:32
Silver Member

Thank you Mr.Cr0wley, I know you are not trying to be an ass and I do appreciate your bluntness. I realize I can definitely be considered an alcoholic, I just don't like throwing that term around because some alcoholics would laugh at my alcohol consumption and minor withdrawals. I am not planning to live the rest of my life on kratom either. I also realize I have a long road ahead of me if I want to get completely sober.

That being said, I also slipped up really hard this weekend and got drunk Friday and blacked out last night. These both happened at bars with friends. I really don't know how to cope with the college lifestyle without having drinks on the weekend. Overall though my alcohol consumption is WAY down since starting kratom and I feel healthier than I have felt in a long time.
Old 16-04-2012, 06:19
Titanium Member

Mr.Cr0wley is captain of the psychonauts.Mr.Cr0wley is captain of the psychonauts.

Well, that's definitely something. I know the difficulties of being surrounded by the things you're trying to get away from. Or not even knowing how to live sober. In fact, I'm dealing with those currently. I've had many a blackout night. The "alcoholics" out there that are trying to get better would never criticize your level of consumption.

Kudos to starting down the road, and I sincerely mean it. But one thing is true with blackout drinking. It only takes one night of it to ruin the whole rest of your life.

May the force be with you.
Old 16-04-2012, 07:00
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankfish View Post
Thank you Mr.Cr0wley, I know you are not trying to be an ass and I do appreciate your bluntness. I realize I can definitely be considered an alcoholic, I just don't like throwing that term around because some alcoholics would laugh at my alcohol consumption and minor withdrawals. I am not planning to live the rest of my life on kratom either. I also realize I have a long road ahead of me if I want to get completely sober.

That being said, I also slipped up really hard this weekend and got drunk Friday and blacked out last night. These both happened at bars with friends. I really don't know how to cope with the college lifestyle without having drinks on the weekend. Overall though my alcohol consumption is WAY down since starting kratom and I feel healthier than I have felt in a long time.
Although it is good that your consumption has gone down considerably, I think that drinking a few beers or shots on the weekend is something thats completely controllable and something you can do with a little self discipline. I guess I'm also wondering what your end goal is, do you want to completely stay off alcohol? or do you want to not drink at all during the week and maybe get a little buzzed on the weekends, and just be sure that it doesn't bleed into the week (reminds me of how good ol' kratom turned into my DOC).

You can stay completely sober! Especially since what you're trying to achieve is to only quit drinking alcohol, but still allowing yourself to get that wonderful release of stress that kratom provides. Quitting kratom for me is just about hopeless right now because I have stress in my life, quite a bit at times because that's what college is all about, and I would have no release of any sort and I have had times where I can get so depressed and worried about something that I will not eat a thing for 4-5 days at a time which is just terrible on the body.

Anyway I'm under kratom's spell as we speak so I'm rambling, But I think you should come up with an exact plan of what you want to do as far as alcohol consumption. For example, say "from this day on I'm not drinking a drop of alcohol, no matter what the circumstances" or "I'm not drinking a drop of alcohol during the week, but I will limit myself to X amount of drinks on the weekend" I'm not an addiction expert of course, but this will just set the goal in your head clearly and maybe that can be the first step to actually making it a reality. Writing it down by hand can also help you organize things in your head, I've done in many-a-time and it's really interesting how it can help you organize your thoughts and beliefs on things.

Just an idea of course and I hope I don't sound snotty or anything. My judgement may be impaired due to fatigue
Old 16-04-2012, 07:09

38 y/o Male from Earth
MAMJWH-420 needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

To the OP: I've read several reports on Kratom and kidney/liver damage.
You may want to consider alternatives. As an alkie, your liver probably isn't the happiest organ camping in the body atm.
Old 16-04-2012, 07:51
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMJWH-420 View Post
You may want to consider alternatives. As an alkie, your liver probably isn't the happiest organ camping in the body atm.
Can you please substantiate this? I've yet to find such a report in my 1+ years of kratom research. (not to sound like a snob!)

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good question.
Old 16-04-2012, 12:47
ianzombie ianzombie is nu online
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,555, Level: 20 Points: 19,555, Level: 20 Points: 19,555, Level: 20
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%

Quote:
Please post these reports here, thanks.
Old 16-04-2012, 16:34
Silver Member

Excellent and helpful posts as always guys, much appreciated. And I would also like to see some scientific data on the liver and kidney damage.

But I suppose for my immediate plan, I want to completely quit drinking during the week, except maybe a couple beers on wednesday because that is my group of friend's weekly trivia night (which sounds lame but it's awesome) and maybe have around 6 drinks on fridays and saturdays. I do not want to black out at all anymore.

I feel this is a solid plan for now because if I set my goal to be impossible, I'm going to fail and end up getting in my "fuck it" state of mind.
Old 17-04-2012, 07:48
Silver Member

Male from United States

That "fuck it" state can be dangerous.. I am sorry to say that I know the feeling.

Have you considered telling your mates about your plan? Maybe they can help keep your consumption within your limit when and if you do drink during trivia night. With their support it may help you out a great deal but I understand if you're not willing to tell them about it. Even telling one or two of your closest friends may also be beneficial.
Old 17-04-2012, 15:34
Silver Member

Yeah my buddies, one in particular, knows my plan and he's even letting me order kratom to him since I am not legally on this house lease. For the most part they are really supportive/never force or ask me to drink.
Old 17-04-2012, 18:27

38 y/o Male from Earth
MAMJWH-420 needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

Quote:
My bad.

I've done some research and can't find any evidence.

I must have been thinking of something that sounds the same.

Old 17-04-2012, 19:50
Titanium Member

Quote:
My bad.

I've done some research and can't find any evidence.

I must have been thinking of something that sounds the same.

Perhaps it's kava root you are thinking of?
Old 17-04-2012, 22:29
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cr0wley View Post
Perhaps it's kava root you are thinking of?
I was about to suggest that. of the people I've seen on this forum, the only thing I see kratom affecting is testosterone levels, and this only shows up in tests and is not noticeable without it. according to this person. I haven't really noticed anything affecting my health but I'm sure something has changed minutely that I just can't feel.
Old 18-04-2012, 07:38
Silver Member

Male from United States
dr. swim is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 138, Level: 1 Points: 138, Level: 1 Points: 138, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hi I'd just like to throw my two cents in,
I do consider myself an "alcoholic" or as I like to call a "jack fiend"
I cannot go to a bar and stop at 1, or even 6 or 7 drinks, I drink until I can't fit anymore liquid in my stomach.

Whether you want to call yourself an alcoholic is completely up to you. I know if I drank every day for one month I'm going to have wicked sick withdrawls if I stop. On the other hand, do not think that your seemingly "light" detox experience (from what you described) is a good indicator to judge if you are elligible to be called an alcoholic. You don't need decades of hard drinking, but only an unmanageable life. If you think you life is unmanageable when you drink you certainly fit the description.

But I'll repeat this: noone can tell you if you're an alcoholic, it's something you have to look inside yourself and accept.

I wish the best of luck to you and if you decide you need help I pray that you reach out.
Old 23-04-2012, 20:03
Silver Member

I'd just like to give a quick update now that has been about 2 weeks since I started taking kratom.

The alcohol consumption is WAY down. On the weekends I usually do end up getting pretty drunk but it's not the outrageous blacked-out drunk state I would usually be drinking to every day. I probably drink 3 nights out of the week now, which I would still like to decrease to at least 2, but it's much better than 7 days of the week.

I usually dose kratom once a day at 6-7 grams. I was making tea but then I bought some powdered kratom. I have been experiencing with the T&W method and I finally found a way to take it. I mix it in apple sauce and simply attempt to 'drink' the apple sauce. It goes down fast and painless.
Old 27-04-2012, 03:36
Silver Member

darnoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%

This is a very uplifting thread, i am an alocholic i had been using kratom for three month and sober for five, after 3 weeks without kratom, i had a slip and the cravings came back pretty bad, i am awaiting more kratom as i think it has a reaction in the brain that can actually block these cravings, i wish big pharm companies would realize there are plants in nature that can be more effective after all they find and isolate these things all the time but there is some synergy when a plant is used in it's natural form, wish all you the best and dont let a slip up make you depressed keep moving foreward

Share this on:

Tags
kratom and alcohol