Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antipsychotics
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 17:07

Male from USA - Ohio
Onemanorgu is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Something to sleep on ?

swim's dog is possibly getting probation is there any antipsyc i can take depend on dosage swims only need sleep for 5 hours but sleep that i for sure won't wake up and tusstle not evene if sirens or bells or if i was being punched was going on that's it pretty much 6'1 230 yes a big assed irish wolf hound he will suggest to doctor .

Onemanorgu added 3 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

prematurely posted. Swim's dog needs it for work swims dog either wakes up e very hour then disposes of some herb medium. then trys to sleep 8(

Post Quality Evaluations:
useful idea for a thread which is of relevance to many

Last edited by Onemanorgu; 03-04-2012 at 17:07. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-04-2012, 18:50
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: Something to sleep on ?

Has diphenhydramine been trialed yet? You can find it in Benadryl (or generic variations thereof).

Many of the newer atypical antipsychotic (AAPs) medications make you sleepy because of their action on the histamine receptors. Often you can get similar results without all the extra side effects, just by taking an antihistamine (AHs). Diphenhydramine is very easy to obtain over the counter, some people prefer/need prescription AHs such as Vistaril/Atarax (hydroxyzine) or Phenergan (promethazine). I have been prescribed hydroxyzine in the past to treat the stomach pains & nausea I get due to anxiety, though I usually just take diphenhydramine because it's easier to get.

The prescription AHs have slightly different effects & can be more sedating, but I feel you can get more sedation just by taking more diphenhydramine. *shrug* Not huge amounts, though! The AHs don't metabolize into anything that would be triggered on a drug screen, either.

AAPs are serious overkill for sleep, in my opinion. In my area, too many doctors still treat them like candy & over-prescribe them. Unless you have some mood stabilization issues or are, indeed, psychotic, there is NO reason to be taking AAPs. They are very serious drugs with very serious side effects (like diabetes). Certainly nothing you should take just for sleeping!

AAPs tend to cause lots of weight gain due to (nearly) uncontrollable eating. They also tend to have some serious hangover the next day. I haven't had these issues using AHs instead.

~Kailey
Old 03-04-2012, 19:04
Straight out of Trumpton
Co-Moderator

50 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,640, Level: 12 Points: 7,640, Level: 12 Points: 7,640, Level: 12
Activity: 21.5% Activity: 21.5% Activity: 21.5%

I think what you're describing is disturbed sleep, and difficulty getting back to sleep once awake. Antipsychotic drugs are sometimes used 'off label', although psychosis is generally the only long-term indication. Antipsychotics may be used on a short-term basis to calm disturbed individuals, whatever the underlying reason, and to manage anxiety. Adverse effects are common among those using antipsychotics, and these effects are often unpleasant enough to lead to non-compliance. First generation antipsychotics are not selective for the brain's four dopamine pathways, which can lead to a range of adverse effects. Second generation antipsychotics are comparatively more selective, for example Quetiapine is one of the drugs least likely to cause extrapyramidal effects and sexual dysfunction.

Generally, antipsychotics can cause extrapyramidal (or parkinsonian) effects. Their long term use may result in tardive dyskinesia (an irreversible movement disorder). Common adverse effects include weight gain, as well as: "drowsiness; apathy; agitation, excitement and insomnia; convulsions; dizziness; headache; confusion; gastro-intestinal disturbances; nasal congestion; antimuscarinic symptoms (such as dry mouth, constipation, difficulty with micturition, and blurred vision." This is not an exhaustive list of possible effects, there are other possible problems associated with use of antipsychotics such as cardiovascular disease.

I experience a great deal of trouble sleeping, and this is especially wearing when I have to go to work the following day (or night). I can understand how high a priority sleep can become, but unless there are other issues than disturbed sleep and insomnia, the problems that could arise from use of antipsychotics may outweigh any benefits. I haven't found any drug that provides a long-term solution to insomnia without strings attached (such as tolerance and tiredness), although I do use 1mg of Etizolam twice weekly at present. I have also had results from kavalactone paste (made from kava). I also find that physical tiredness usually precedes a good sleep, and try to get plenty of exercise. It is also worth considering whether low mood or specific anxieties are preventing restful sleep.

Source: British National Formulary 63 March 2012.

Last edited by Mindless; 03-04-2012 at 20:04. Reason: new sentence
Old 03-04-2012, 19:06
Silver Member

22 y/o Male from United States
Reason4rhyme is on the way upReason4rhyme is on the way upReason4rhyme is on the way upReason4rhyme is on the way up
Points: 568, Level: 3 Points: 568, Level: 3 Points: 568, Level: 3
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

SWIM personally favors Seroquel and other preperations of the atypical antipsychotic Quetiapine at a fairly low dose (25-100mg is good for sleep). SWIM also finds the that the instant release tablets allow him to wake up in the morning feeling rested and not sluggish since the drugs effects when taken as an instant release tablet last 4-5 hours. This is considerably easier to deal with than the XR preperation which leaves SWIM exhausted until past noon the ext morning. On a side note SWIM has also found Seroquel to be EXTREMELEY beneficial when coming off of most other drugs, especially stimulants.

-reason4rhyme

Post Quality Evaluations:
useful information and experience
Old 11-04-2012, 05:04

Male from USA - Ohio
Onemanorgu is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

what about ghb

Share this on:

Tags
diphenhydramine, etizolam, ghb, insomnia remedies, kava, kavalactone paste, quetiapine